Arnold Schwarzenegger Quits Celebrity Apprentice NBC Donald Trump

Arnold Schwarzenegger Quits Celebrity Apprentice, Blames Anti-Trump Boycott

Ah-nuld is saying hasta la vista to Celebrity Apprentice after just one season.

Arnold Schwarzenegger won’t return to host NBC’s reality competition if it returns for another season, he told Empire magazine on Friday. “I learned a lot, I had a great time, it was a really great opportunity,” Schwarzenegger said. “But under the circumstances, I don’t want to do it again… Even if asked, I would decline.”

And what circumstances is he referring to? Well, they rhyme with “rump.” Schwarzenegger says the show’s association with former host (and current President) Donald Trump hurt the show’s ratings this season. “When people found out that Trump was still involved as executive producer and was still receiving money from the show, then half the people [started] boycotting it,” he explains. “With Trump being involved in the show, people have a bad taste and don’t want to… support the show.”

Ratings were certainly down this season, with Arnold’s Apprentice edition falling double digits from the numbers Trump’s most recent season had reached. (Trump even gloated about the ratings dip in a series of tweets aimed at Schwarzenegger.) But Arnold may be getting ahead of himself: It’s not even clear that NBC will want to bring Celebrity Apprentice back for another season, considering the ratings slide. As of press time, it hasn’t officially been renewed for a 16th season.

Did you tune out of this season’s Apprentice because of the Trump connection? And if it does come back, who should host? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Preacher Book says:

The fact “The Apprentice” is just dumb, dumb show probably didn’t have ANYTHING to do with it at all.

2. Ann says:

Sorry. I think that’s just an excuse for the low ratings. The Apprentice with Martha Stewart was also low-rated. Arnold just didn’t bring in the numbers that they were expecting. Perhaps if they bring the show back, get a real host who has a background in business, like Piers Morgan, not just a big name celebrity who’s biggest attribute is as a Hollywood action star.

• jbj says:

Your suggestion doesn’t make sense in light of your Martha Stewart comment. She was an actual business woman who became a celebrity business woman, just like Trump. And as far as I can tell, she has been way more popular in the US for a lot longer than Piers Morgan…even if it took Camp Cupcake to shake out some of the starch in her collar.

• Tina says:

Piers Morgan really, he is a tabloid hack not a businessman.

3. Superwoman says:

Well the show is in a lose – lose situation.
    I’m not watching the show purely because of its association to DT.
    And with DT bashing the show and its ratings, i’m guessing Trump fans aren’t tuning in either.

4. Haz says:

Twist this however you want Arnold but this one isn’t Trumps fault. Honestly the show shouldn’t have went on when NBC severed ties with Trump they should have cancelled it. Fact is Arnold’s popularity isn’t what it used to be. The last Terminator bombed here in the US that alone should have told the brass at NBC to maybe reconsider his involvement.

5. AngelWasHere says:

They should just cancel it. Trump’s involvement and his tweets about it led to its low ratings. Whoever takes over will be subjected to Trump’s tantrums about the ratings.

6. trololo says:

When in doubt, blame Trump.

7. Christian says:

The show’s ratings sucked even with Trump hosting. Lets not blv the alternative facts that the show was a hit beyond its first season!

8. So I guess the low ratings had nothing to do with viewers not interested in watching the show and everything to do with the current President. Yeah right.

9. Ron says:

Not shocking. I refused to even consider watching because of the bozo-in-chief’s EP credit. Sure, he had no direct involvement. That didn’t matter to me. I will not even begin to support anything to which he’s attached. I’m guessing this was the case for many people, too. I’m sure there are others who just didn’t care to watch another season of this tired show in general. The over-cooked honey baked ham will try to say his lack of involvement was due to the ratings decline. But his insecure self would of course think that. I’d still put money on it that his name attached to the series kept the majority of people away. It wasn’t going to work out regardless of the host. It should’ve never come back, and it certainly won’t after this.

• Cody Drennen says:

Well since you wont nothing to do with anything the Preisdent touches, when are you leaving this country?

• Jodi Fortner says:

Wish I could, but would rather work on impeachment.

• Lisa says:

The ratings may have been on a decline, but the association with a sitting President encouraged many to not even check it out. Then he tweets negativity about it furthering the decline in ratings. As far as leaving this country because I don’t agree with anything said or done by the man that occupies an office that I have respect for, I don’t abandon something that is malfunctioning. I stick around to fix I think or assist in the repair. So if you have a problem with the fact that I am excercising my freedom of speech as an American citizen, you are welcome to leave or agree to disagree with me. Those are your rights as an American citizen.

• Tina says:

Exactly. Might have been different if he had put all his assets in a blind trust, and revealed his tax returns like all the presidents with nothing to hide and who understand the law and was not clearly committing so many conflicts of interest like his doubling of membership fees at Mar-a-Lago the moment he got elected, The man sees being president as a money making promotional vehicle for himself. Too bad the people who voted for him didn’t see that. After he destroys the federal government if he doesn’t get himself arrested he’ll be fine. The American people especially the very people who supported him won’t. That’s the sad thing.

10. Ray says:

What a shame. He was a much better host/judge than that airbag Trump ever was.

11. A. S. says:

Trump hasn’t tweeted about that yet – weird.

• MM says:

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 Trump wrote: “Arnold Schwarzenegger isn’t voluntarily leaving the Apprentice, he was fired by his bad (pathetic) ratings, not by me. Sad end to great show.”

After Schwarzenegger’s debut in January, Trump wrote on Twitter that the show had been swamped “in comparison to the ratings machine, DJT”.

Schwarzenegger shot back, saying on social media that he hoped Trump would work for the American people as aggressively as he did for his ratings. The actor, like Trump a Republican, did not endorse Trump for president and said he would not vote for him.

When The New Celebrity Apprentice ended its season last month, Trump tweeted that Schwarzenegger “did a really bad job as governor of California and even worse on The Apprentice, but at least he tried hard”.

12. Collette says:

Hopefully, he didn’t add “I’ll be back”.

13. Buffy0531 says:

For those saying it had nothing to do with Trump – I used to watch the show. It was one of my guilty pleasures, watching these grown men and women have their meltdowns, while raising money for charity. I wanted to watch it with Arnold, but refused because I couldn’t support anything that Trump would benefit from. I also know there were many viewers like me.

• AngelWasHere says:

I was one of those viewers. Loved it at the beginning, but the whole birther debacle turned me off from it. Then I couldn’t bring myself to tune into it with Arnold, because Trump was still involved. Honestly Arnold is turn off too with the whole maid business, but Trump was the nail in the coffin for me.

14. Lisa says:

No, the ratings prove that nobody wants to waste their time watching a show that sucks.

15. Kenneth Partyka says:

Arnold has to realize this is on him and not President Trump.

16. Larc says:

Seems it’s time to mercifully put Celebrity Apprentice out of its misery.

17. Anne says:

Smart move. I actually enjoy the show format and I like Arnold, but I wouldn’t watch because of the Trump association

18. peterwdawson says:

Not a shock really. Trump standing with his arms obscured in shadow was hilarious to look at and he was soon painted as a silly reality TV villain you loved to hate. Arnold’s too loveable and gimmick doesn’t really work with anyone else. Factor in the Trump fans bailing, and anti-Trump fans probably not wanting to support a show associated with him anymore… Basically the only people left who would watch would be fans of the formula, and the formula is not very good.

19. Jodi Fortner says:

Definitely didn’t watch it because of Trump.

Will not watch it if it’s renewed.

Too bad, didn’t mind Arnold.

• Collette says:

But you probably applaud the fact that the insidious former POTUS has set up his home as anti-Trump central, even having Valerie Jarrett move in. Too sad, but very amusing.

• Tina says:

Well blame Trump for perpetrating an outright lie about the former POTUS for 8 years. And Obama has every right to try and put the Democrats in power just as I am sure Trump worked with Republicans in the previous election. The insidious Trump and his insidious right wing friends are scarily in power.

You Trump supporters have such short memories. Did we ever get an apology oh who I am kidding Trump was brought up to never ever admit a mistake. That is the scariest thing about him.

Arnold would have been a better POTUS by the way. Even with the accent he speaks like an articulate thoughtful man and he is a true conservative.

• Penny Barrington says:

So citizens aren’t allowed to be politically active? Or are you afraid they’ll be successful? I’m guessing that’s it.

I find it hilarious you are more concerned about a private citizen trying to turn this country around than you are about an admitted molester being in a treasonous association with a foreign leader.

20. KW says:

I watched and actually liked Celebrity Apprentice with the Governor. He wasn’t bad at all. He wasn’t intimidating as Trump was and he actually smiled which the Trumpster never did. He wasn’t fake and phony as Trump. Also, when many of the celebrities were trying to collect money, many of the friends and people they called did not donate because of Trump. I was turning the channel from The Celebrity Apprentice and The Bachelor the first few weeks and hands down I decided to watch The Celebrity Apprentice.

21. K Hurley says:

I am boycotting anything to do with the Trump name, including this show. I think it is shameful that he get $ from this show. He just cannot focus on being POTUS so is will be one less distraction

22. Maureen J Torres says:

Don’t care for schwartsanager so didn’t watch. Depends on host someone less stiff. But could bring what trump brought to show

23. Alice Cooper says:

Much preferred the show with Arnold and actually watched it for the first time in a long time. He seemed kinder and funnier. Never watched with Trump because he came off like a zombie.

24. Mark McHugh says:

Trump was the apprentice star, you can’t replace him

25. Gale says:

Never watched it! I have no respect for Rump–excuse me, Trump. Don’t want any associations with the man.

26. Marilyn says:

Never cared about it, never saw it, won’t ever miss it. I hate reality programming. It’s a cheap way for networks to fill time slots without having to pay high-priced actors for a real series. Mind numbing garbage is all it is.