The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

The Vampire Diaries Stars Preview Wedding Surprises, Katherine's Return and a 'Satisfying' Series Finale

Stefan and Caroline’s wedding arrives early on Friday’s Vampire Diaries (The CW, 8/7c), triggering a series of twists that no one in the cast saw coming. (Then again, not everyone in the cast saw the wedding coming in the first place.)

“I heard about this June wedding for the first time at Comic-Con,” Paul Wesley admitted to reporters at a recent screening of Friday’s episode. “I had no idea what everyone was talking about, and I still kind of don’t really know what it’s about. But apparently there’s some June wedding — like, the fans talk about a June wedding. So when they first told me that we were going to have a June wedding, I was like, ‘Oh, cool. We’re paying homage to the fans.'”

“Never in a million years” did Wesley think Stefan would someday call Caroline his bride, especially after so much of the early part of the series was built around Stefan’s relationship with Elena. He said, “I never knew [Stefan and Caroline] would be equally as powerful … as a couple.”

Speaking of Elena, Wesley conceded that “it would be very strange to not have Nina [Dobrev] come back for the finale. The whole story is about two brothers … fighting over a girl. I mean, there’s a zillion other storylines, but I felt like it would have been a real shame for the show to not … wrap that up to a degree.”

Of course, Elena isn’t the only role Dobrev reprises in the coming weeks. Let’s not forget that one of the wedding’s primary purposes is to lure “the myth, the legend, the baddest bitch of all” out of hiding.

“Katherine’s a disaster,” Ian Somerhalder stated, unchallenged. “I mean, there’s nothing good about [her coming back] for anyone.” (That said, he and Wesley agreed that the wicked Petrova doppelganger is a “fun” presence to have around.

Of the series finale — airing Friday, March 10 at 9/8c, following a retrospective special — Somerhalder said he was “blown away” by what writers Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson managed to accomplish with a 44-minute story. Added Wesley, he thinks fans will find it “satisfying.”

What are your hopes for Friday’s wedding? Next week’s finale? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

Reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. VisitorO_O says:

Boy do they like fanservice their ships. This’s how this show destroyed itself. 08×14: Stefan’s leaving MF leaving Caroline with her kids behind. 08×15 Stefan and Caroline are getting married. What? Why? Because #SterolineJuneWedding trended on Twitter and it had to happen onscreen one way or another

• Sara says:

Julie likes her fan service and illogical sl’s.

• Hallie says:

Who did JP pay off for this article I am not a stellena fan but comparing SE to SC is like comparing apples to oranges they are no more powerful then any of the weaker ships in fact most fans hate them. So I wouldn’t even call them fan service because that would mean they have fans this episode is basically being called the episode to miss

• Loren says:

Plec and her uncomfortable and extremely obvious crush on Ian was/is her focus. The rest of the cast were tossed a bone every so often. She forced Dullena and she forced the creepy brother and sister Caroline and Stefan together. Dullena will always be remembered for the reason this show failed and Caroline and Stefan will always be remembered as the creepiest couple on TV.
      I can say 100% that fans since the beginning gave up on this show somewhere between mid to late season 4. Poked our heads in from time to time, read recaps, found out the show is still Dullena/Ian show, laughed and shake our heads at how Poor Kevin Williamsons beloved show was ruined by Plec.

2. Jason says:

Part of what I love so much about Stefan and Caroline is the very fact that it wasn’t baked into the show’s initial concept. It evolved over time and glacially at that. To some extent, I feel that the writers have over complicated things for the couple at the point they came, officially, together. Up through season six, everything about Steroline was built on deep friendship. But as is the Vampire Diaries way, you’ve got to have heaps and piles of conflated obstacles. I wished for more grace in the exploration of their union but now I’ll just settle for a happyish ending.

• Sharon says:

Friendship is where this relationship should have stayed. It was a great friendship, they felt like siblings, and should never have gone romantic.

3. cj says:

I sure don’t feel Steroline is anywhere near as powerful as Stelena!

• Sara says:

Neither do I and I’m not sure he knows what he’s talking about. How are SC powerful? There’s nothing at all powerful about SC. I’m still trying to figure out why they were forced on us. lol

• Jason says:

Whether that were true or not, I hate to tell you this, but the Stelena ship is decidedly sunk. I’m 100 percent sure that we won’t be seeing that in the finale. Not unless Damon and Caroline both drop dead. (And Julie Plec would never in a bazillion years kill Care Bear).

• Stacey says:

So true! Stelena was amazing, heck, Steferine was good too! So glad, this is it for SC! They are definitely not endgame!

4. Stacey says:

Enjoy your fanservice SC! You can have 8×15. I am excited for 8×16, the finale sounds awesome, and only one group of shippers are going to be happy, if all pans out, lol.

5. Kristen says:

I was never completely sold on Steroline and I actually am not a Stelena shipper. I just felt like they put the 2 characters together by default since Damon was with Elena. They had a nice friendship, but I thought their romance was so boring with a lot of contrived obstacles thrown their way. I think the June Wedding is fan service but so was the Delena rain kiss so it’s not entirely unexpected. My guess is the 2 will end up together, but since he is human it may be somewhat bittersweet and leaves a door open for her to show up on the originals if that show doesn’t get cancelled.

6. Sue Williams says:

Still hope Stefan and Elena rides off into the sunset? Damon does not deserve her, he deserves Katherine?

7. Seratt says:

I really don’t care what’s happenings in the end I just want Caroline and bonnie to be in originals afterwards because klaroline is like always and forever and Kennett just lost their previous love so both would be perfect for each other

8. D.J. says:

Demon does deserve her after everything he went through. And Katherine is the queen of the underworld so she’s not gonna stay stay long enough to be on The originals I Suppose..

9. Andi says:

All I care about is that Bonnie gets a happy ending. And no, “happy” does not mean dying and ending up in her own private dimension with Enzo. Happy means ALIVE and preferably getting the heck out of Mystic Falls to go live a life without all the complications brought about by her “friends” constantly needing her to save them. If she brings Enzo back to life on top of it, even better.

10. Gift says:

well we’ve spent a lot of time talking, criticising , discrediting their relationship(Caroline nd Stefan) to the point where I’m getting tired of hearing it over nd over. YES they don’t work! Stefan also deserves better than a girl(Elena) who left him for his brother. All I want to see is that his character is happy. As the others. Damon don’t get to get an happy ending nd Stefan don’t. So I only hope justice is done to the characters.

• Ify says:

Both brothers doesn’t deserve a happy ending.Stefan doesn’t deserve care.Stefan is bad but always acting righteous.All through the show right from season 1 we have always seen and known Damon for what he is but his brother keeps pretending not until we started seeing his past.They should both die off and allow the girls Bonnie,care,Elena to for once be normal in their lives.They have suffered alot in their hands especially Bonbon and Mystic Falls also needs a break from all these monsters.

11. Micaela says:

Thank the universe this dumpster fire that was once a really solid show is coming to an end, I would love to say I’m excited to see how it ends but the truth is I’m not, haven’t watched since season three and have no intention of watching now. Good luck to you Bonnie hope you find that happy ending but knowing this show I’m very doubtful, all the rest can burn. I hope I never have the displeasure of watching any show that JP and CD are involved with or dealing with such a trashy fandom for as long as I live.

12. make an incomplete end if “stelena ” don’t deserve to be toghther….
    just feelin’ wrong about the story if tht happens…..

13. Elle says:

It honestly like the least romantic wedding ever, its to lure out a villain, the bride is wearing said villain necklace, all the guest are compelled and the music is based on the songs stefan and kat previously danced to!

Overall yeah steroliners must be so thrilled

14. Gift says:

That is ur own opinion. for me, I think of it differently. one more thing, the brothers didn’t complicate the girls life. Before they came, Bonnie was always a witch with lots of history, Caroline might have been dead nd Elena was a doppelganger without Stefan or Damon her life was already complicated. we recently went into Matt’s history nd found out that he had a connection to everything too. They never had or would have ever had a normal life. It doesn’t matter how bad the brothers re they kept them alive. will just need to wait nd see how it actually ends.

• Lucy says:

If you watch the Pilot or even the early episodes, they said that it’s been ages since vampires were last in Mystic Falls. The brothers coming in, did complicate things, but Klaus would still try and kill Elena. If the Salvatore never returned to Mystic Falls, there would be less supernatural activity than there was, a lot of the supernaturals that came were because of the Salvatores or Elena/Katherine/Doppelgangers.

15. Grace says:

when would the originals be out.. I am freaking out…can’t wait to see Niklaus

16. Reed says:

I’m as about excited for a Steroline wedding as I would be for having a root canal or watching a pot boil. Dull. Uninspired. So, I agree with so many others here; it’s just Julie Plec caving to fan-service and a general lack of ideas for a good ending. How about this? Enzo is restored to life and he and Bonnie get married. The rest of them go their separate ways: some good (Caroline, Matt, Alaric, Elena), and the ones bad (Damon and Stefan) will head down to New Orleans to mix it up with that crew down there.

• Gift says:

The show is about Stefan, Damon nd Elena most of all so it has to end with them. I also want Bonnie to have her happy ending but the show is really not about her or Caroline or Matt. They were just there for the main characters shine out.

17. Edel vesey says:

I think klaus should show up at the wedding confessing his undying love for Caroline I know that he is in marcels wall in the originals but I think he should appear when Katherine does even though he is not dead Katherine was able to drag his mind to he’ll as she is the new cade and klaus has to work with her if he wishes to save his siblings and keep hope and hayley safe and stefan gets turned back into a vampire and elena comes back but as a vampire Katherine’s doing of course

• Stacey says:

He can’t right now, but let’s just say he makes his feelings known another way in a flashforward. Klaroline is coming and after tonight Steroline will be over!

18. Tara says:

What I like about Steroline (as a non-viewer) is that they writers stuck to it despite the backlash.

• Gift says:

you can say that again. I thing they were bent on going this road nd it didn’t matter what the viewers thought or complained.

• Jane says:

If in JP’s mind happy ending is bound to a ship, then yea, Elena is taken (JP kept her for Damon), Katherine is dead, so the only other girls that have some “weight” are Bonnie (wouldn’t make sense at all) or Caroline (who was kept as a back up in case they never go back to Stelena or Stefrine). But instead of having SC for the end, they had to start it in S06 when Nina left and they had no ships left. This is why I hate SC, it’s a disgrace for Caroline’s character who must understand that they make absolutely no sense especially in this human/vampire state but she acts like she’s can’t believe the coolest boy in school laid his eyes on her. I’d want a different ending for Stefan now that he’s human. I’d want a flashforward where Stefan finds a good woman, marries her when IT IS time not when it’s June, and have kids of his own – something he was robbed out back when Valerie was pregnant with his son. He could build a career, help people, go on road trips with DE and their kids. And now what? A delusional frozen 17 year old fan that wanted him for her June wedding. SC just didn’t do any flavors to neither Stefan nor Caroline.

• Stacey says:

Agreed, but don’t despair yet. Good things are coming in 8×16. Some bad things too, but overall sounds like a great finale!

19. Honey Jackson says:

TVD was great “escape” for 8 yrs.,just like BTVS,ANGEL,they will all be missed! I’d love to see a few cast regulars “visit” THE ORIGINALS,from time to time,to “help” their old for,Klaus & his family! That would be cool,and the “withdrawal”pain I’m feeling will be less😉Great successes to all,thanks for the fantastic “ride” of emotions from you all! LOVE💜💜💜 YOU GUYS❤bye,😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

20. liame says:

If Bonnie gets a happy ending with Enzo, I will be satisfied.