The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Gilmore Girls Creator's Amazon Pilot The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Sets Debut

Here are four new words Gilmore Girls fans can start obsessing over: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

The Amazon drama pilot from Gilmore creator Amy Sherman-Palladino will be available for your streaming pleasure beginning Friday, March 17. As per tradition, viewers will then be able to review the project and “help determine the next Amazon Original Series that are then available to Prime members.”

Written and directed by Sherman-Palladino, who also serves as an EP alongside Daniel Palladino, the 1950s’ set The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel centers on Miriam “Midge” Maisel (Manhattan‘s Rachel Brosnahan), whose seemingly idyllic Manhattan existence is upended when she discovers a previously unknown talent for stand-up comedy.

The cast also includes Michael Zegen (Boardwalk Empire) Alex Borstein (Getting On), Tony Shalhoub (Monk) and Marin Hinkle (Two and a Half Men).

Amazon’s Spring 2017 pilot offerings also include the homemade superhero comedy The Legend of Master Legend (starring Deadwood‘s John Hawkes), ’80s pot satire Budding Prospects (starring MADtv‘s Will Sasso), adult animated series The New V.I.P.’s (starring House of Lies‘ Ben Schwartz), and ambitious sci fi drama Oasis, which follows a chaplain who is sent into space to help establish a colony on a distant planet and stars Game of Thrones‘ Richard Madden. All four will similarly drop on March 17.

Check out the gallery above — or click here for direct access — to view the first images from all five of Amazon’s new pilots.

1. Michael, I’m pretty sure that you’re the only person who was genuinely obsessed with wanting to know what the final four words that were supposed to be spoken in the last episode of Gilmore Girls. They weren’t that big a deal to me. That being said, I’ll definitely check this show out.

• thisismenow says:

I actually was genuinely interested in the last four words. On the IMDB before they were taken down, there were tons of theories and excitement too. So Michael wasn’t the only one. :) On a more related note, I am excited about The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

• Oh, I was interested in the final four words, too. It’s just that over the years, long before the revival even happened, I always felt like Michael Ausiello seemed to be truly obsessed with wanting to know what the final four words were supposed to be; to the point where I felt like he was pretty much harassing the cast and crew about the final four words every time he did an interview with them. At first I thought his fixating on trying to find out the final four words was kind of amusing and cute, but as the years passed, I really started to feel like Ausiello was just being really annoying and rude about trying to find out the final four words.

• Ingmar says:

He just asked what most fans wanted to know. He’s a journalist; he’d be a bad one if he wouldn’t ask the questions most fans wanted to hear. It’s okay you are not one of those fans, but don’t attack Ausiello, because of it. Now, that’s rude.

Good article!

• I wasn’t attacking Ausiello. I was simply saying that I felt like he has always come across as going a little overboard when it comes to his interest in the final four words. I was interested in them too, but I didn’t think that the final four words were something that he, or anybody for that matter, should care about as much as he did. Now that the revival has aired and everybody finally knows what the final four words are, can we all move on from talking about them now?

• rowan77 says:

A lot of people were very interested in what the last four words were to be on the Gilmore Girls finale. It was obvious from the massive reaction (both positive and negative) and discussions about it across the internet.

• Liz says:

I actually called the final four words years ago (approximately I think I was 1 word off). But that aside, the show’s description is intriguing. I’m in.

• Stacy says:

He was far from alone. I told my family if I ever got cancer and had a make-a-wish it was to hear the final four words. And even then I knew that it was going to be something simple & predictable, as it ended up being.

2. Dannie C says:

I’m super excited to watch this & here your take on it Michael. More ASP Wooo

3. leo says:

No black cast? I’m just asking because of what happened the last time with shonda rhimes, lol.

4. Jones says:

I’m so excited to watch an Amazon pilot and then wait years for subsequent episodes if it’s even ordered to series (said no one ever)

5. Jason says:

Sherman-Palladino can do no wrong and I have an immense crush on Rachel Brosnahan so I’m definitely in for this. Plus, I’m excited to see Rachel take the lead and get to do something lighthearted for once. Usually her roles are so heavy. What happened to her character on The Americans, still pisses me off.

• april-ann says:

Sherman-Palladino can do no wrong? Yikes. I will never forgive her for A Year in the Life.

• Kat says:

Amy Sherman Palladino is highly capable of doing plenty of wrong, both in the original iteration of Gilmore Girls and the revival. I don’t think it’s an accident that none of her follow-up attempts at series television have lasted long.

• Jim says:

Yeah, unfortunately I think whatever spark she once had, she’s lost it. It happens. Though A Year in the Life was still much better than the original ending to the series . . .

• april-ann says:

I would take absolutely any of season 7 (which I am liking way more now) over A Year in the Life any day. I found it so awful I’m trying to forget it ever happened.

• John johnson says:

I think Amy still has talent. She still has great one-liners up the wa-zoo and can write great individual scenes. But her technique as a storyteller has not matured over time, and she needs other influences on her writing staff. Daniel is not it. A lot of her wit and characterization has been replaced with more quirk and melodrama.

6. Esti says:

I would be a lot more impressed with this if the official synopsis of the show (on Deadline) didn’t include the words “Yom Kippur Dinner.” How hard is it to find out that Jews don’t eat on Yom Kippur? It would have taken 2 minutes of research. Fasting is the biggest part of the holiday. I’m not feeling great about how the representation on this is going to go.

• Stefanie says:

Jews break the fast on the night of Yom Kippur, 24-ish hours after starting it. It was pretty significant in my house and neighborhood growing up. It makes total sense to have dinner that night.

• Esti says:

I know, but those dinners are “before the fast” and “after the fast.” Yom Kippur Dinner implies a meal eaten on Yom Kippur, which there isn’t. It would have made much more sense for the synopsis to say “perfect for hosting Shabbat dinner” (since it happens much more frequently, also) Representation for Jews on TV is almost non-existent, I want them to get it right.