Zoe Perry Big Bang Theory Spinoff

Big Bang Theory: Laurie Metcalf's Daughter Zoe Perry to Play Mom to Young Sheldon in Prequel Spinoff

Talk about putting the meta in metaphysics: Laurie Metcalf’s real-life actress-daughter Zoe Perry is being eyed to play the mother of Young Sheldon in CBS’ in-the-works prequel spinoff. Metcalf, as you know, currently recurs on Big Bang as the mother of Adult Sheldon (Jim Parsons).

Additionally, as TVLine just reported, Parsons’ prepubescent predecessor is set to be portrayed by Big Little Lies breakout Iain Armitage.

The untitled offshoot — which has yet to receive a formal pilot order from CBS — would center on a young Sheldon growing up in Texas. Parsons will executive-produce along with Big Bang co-creator Chuck Lorre and current showrunner Steve Molaro. (Co-creator Bill Prady is expected to join as an EP as well.)

Perry, whose father is Scandal vet Jeff Perry, previously guested on Roseanne, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, NCIS and the aforementioned Scandal. She also had a regular role on last season’s short-lived ABC drama The Family.

The news comes as CBS and Warner Bros. are hammering out a new two-year renewal deal for The Big Bang Theory, a process reportedly being stymied by a contract stalemate involving supporting players Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch.

Warner Bros. and CBS declined to comment or confirm Perry’s casting.

1. Cas says:

What Jeff Perry has a kid?! She looks like her mom a lot.

2. DebG says:

That is So Cool! I’m not if I’d keep up with this series if it does get the greenlight though. I’d think it would be better off as flashback episodes within the Big Bang series itself.

3. Hurley says:

Wait what? Laurie Metcalf and Jeff Perry did what? ;)

4. N says:

I wonder who else has a love child I don’t know about 🤔🤔🤔

• Ted says:

They were married for nine years: hardly a “scandal” that they produced a child. They are both Steppenwolf members. (Perry is one of the founders.)

Perry’s current wife is veteran casting director Linda Lowry (who cast Perry in both Grey’s Anatomy & Scandal). They also have one child.

5. Laurel Lane says:

Don’t see the need for this new show at all. Not every successful show/movie needs sequels, prequels and reboots.

• Fabrizia says:

It’s called money. CBS likes it.

• Jimmy says:

Couldn’t disagree more. Some of the best series on television were sequels or offshoots to another series. Frasier is a big one that comes to mind. Far surpassed its progenitor, Cheers, in many ways.

• Laurel Lane says:

Well, you got me there. Totally have to agree with you on Frasier, one of the best sitcoms ever. But was Frasier on Cheers ever as integral a character to Cheers as Sheldon is to BBT? So much more to work with because we didn’t know as much? Maybe I just don’t find Sheldon’s character that interesting and, in fact, more of an annoyance than I ever found Frasier Crane….

• JJ LIONS says:

Frasier was a rare gem. Nowadays, Hollywood has no clue what imagination is. It’s easier to just make prequels and reboots. Netflix did surprisingly well with Fuller House. Now the networks are following their lead.

• JJ LIONS says:

I agree with you full- heartedly. Hollywood has run out of ideas. Sequels, prequels, and reboots are the only form of entertainment they know these days.

6. Someone says:

Is this seriously still happening!!??????? Does anyone actually truly wanna see this?

7. cuius says:

Given the networks’ lack of success with finding anything new – we’re looking at you “Doubt”, etc.. – guess it’s inevitable they’ll try to eke out something from the tried and tested

8. Sue Stevens says:

I love Sheldon and the whole gang…I’d love to see Sheldon when he was young..if nothing else..I’d think people would like to see this just out of curiosity and I don’t know how you couldn’t get hooked..I think he is a riot…just sayn’…

9. PHILIP says:

While I like The Big Bang Theory enough, (the first three years were by far the funniest – Amy’s character is a black hole of humor) I have ZERO interest in seeing Sheldon 2.0, the early years. In fact I know longer like the Sheldon’s character. While he started out as lovably and befuddled, the writers have turned him into a narcissistic, mean spirited person who seeks to cause other people pain, hurt, embarrassment; the list goes on …

• JJ LIONS says:

I’m glad to know I am not the only one who thinks that about Amy. I feel the show went downhill when she became a regular.

10. Martin says:

Yes the show was funny before any and Bernie came along
    But what I also don’t like was to have Bernie talk through her nose, if you noticed, she didn’t talk that way when she started out it was about the 3rd episode .

• JJ LIONS says:

Yes, I have noticed that too. I think they are trying to make her sound like his mom. Showing that we generally chose partners who resemble our parents.