GLOW Wrestling Comedy, Starring Alison Brie, Gets Netflix Premiere Date

Community grad Alison Brie is ready to rumble!

Netflix on Wednesday announced that Season 1 of GLOW, a scripted comedy series inspired by the 1980s phenomenon Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, will premiere on Friday, June 23.

In the Los Angeles-set comedy, Brie plays Ruth, a struggling actress who becomes a TV wrestler in a last-ditch effort to keep her star burning. Marc Maron (Maron) co-stars as washed-up film director Sam Sylvia, who suddenly finds himself leading 14 women on a path to wrestling stardom.

GLOW hails from Liz Flahive (Homeland) and Carly Mensch (Orange Is the New Black), and counts OITNB‘s Jenji Kohan and Tara Herrmann among its executive producers.

Will you be tuning in for Brie’s post-Community vehicle? Watch the date announcement above.

1. Jenny says:

I’m not dying the premise but I love Alison and Maron so I will check it out.

2. Jason says:

You had me at Alison Brie wrestling. I think I had a dream like that once…Though, there may have been more whipped cream involved ;)

3. For those old enough to have watched the original shows, I hope that they capture the campiness, cheesiness and awesome spirit. It even had Sylvester Stallone’s mother as a fake manager/madame for the girls. I’m surprised that Trump didn’t get involved, as many of the women were pretty and had beauty queen bodies. And then there was Big Fuji, a fan favorite. Not so attractive, though. Should be a fun movie.

4. ToyCannon says:

I hope Dee Booher, who was Queen Kong/Matilda the Hun in the old shows, returns on this reboot.

5. Luis Roman says:

Proof that creative people can find inspiration ANYWHERE

6. Joey Padron says:

I will check out the show since I’m a fan of Alison.

7. RichieS says:

I hope Alison’s role is off-the-mat because she’s way too beautiful to sport a bunch of bruises.

8. rebecca says:

Alison Brie.. i’m sold!

9. Brigid says:

I watched GLOW every week as a kid. Very campy and fun, I’ll check this out!

10. Mathew Owen says:

DUMB! I really thought they were gonna release the actual 1980’s G.L.O.W. old seasons on netflix….. that’s what I was waiting for… not some remix with Stupid Alison Brie…

11. jakecoker says:

Alison Brie and Marc Maron in the same show? Yeah I’ll have to see that.