Pitch Cancelled Renewed

Pitch on the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

By mid-May, the broadcast networks must make some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2017-18 TV season, and which… won’t.

As that deadline draws near, TVLine is singling out a few “bubble” shows and sizing up their prospects — based in large part on creative strides (and stumbles) and future potential, but also with a requisite nod to cold, hard numbers.

Next up is an ambitious Fox drama that may be heading to the showers.

THE SHOW | Fox’s Pitch (Season 1 aired Thursdays at 9/8c)

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | On paper, Pitch should have been a home run (or at least a stand-up triple). The cast is led by standout newcomer Kylie Bunbury, hirsute team captain Mark-Paul Gosselaar and a roster of fine supporting players. The premise of the MLB’s first female pitcher was noisy (though in a way that didn’t play well with the misogynist demo), and it was explored in ways that were more often deft than heavy-handed. For those who follow baseball, there was insidery fun to be had (especially when Mark Consuelos’ GM and Kevin Connolly’s stat-loving Padres president locked horns), while those seeking straight drama had sibling rivalry and more than a bit of romance to chew on.

Speaking of romance: Pitch was smart to have Ginny and Mike’s near-miss happen at the end of the first season: It’s either a good foundation for a future slow-burn (should the show go that route) or a needed-to-be-addressed point in the platonic relationship between two teammates. The marriage between Blip (Mo McRae) and Evelyn (Meagan Holder) meanwhile provides entertaining comic relief that the show would do well to mine deeper in a potential Season 2.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Creating an MLB club from scratch isn’t cheap, and Pitch‘s first, 10-episode trip to the plate didn’t quite offset the investment — averaging barely 3 million viewers and a 0.8 rating. That said, those numbers outpace fellow Fox dramas Sleepy Hollow (2 mil/0.5), Scream Queens (1.4 mil/0.6) and The Exorcist (1.9 mil/0.7), and are on par with Rosewood (3.2/0.7), while the New York-based, well-populated and effects-heavy Gotham (3.5 mil/1.1) carries a super price tag. (Empire, Lethal Weapon, Star and Lucifer, meanwhile, are already renewed.)

RELATED Vote to Keep or Cut Timeless, Sleepy Hollow, SHIELD and Others

Vote below, and then state your own case for keeping or cutting Pitch.

1. LK says:

I’d vote to keep.. but it needs some fine tuning… dump for good the romantic sparks with the catcher… That is a bad idea on many fronts and cant they just have a good mentor type relationship with out romantic stuff? And beef up the supporting cast of her teammmates.

• Emily says:

a lot of pitch fans are all for this romance tho!

• LK says:

Not me.. I watch the show for the baseball… and having a romance between teammates is just bad from a team perspective.. only bad things can happen from it… plus i liked the idea of him being her mentor… without the romance.

• Erik says:

Having a romance doesn’t remove the baseball you said you like. Some people like romance and it’s ok to have both. It isn’t good idea between teammates but this a drama. Story has to come from somewhere.

• Big Cheddar says:

I agree LK! Sure they have spark, but why can’t they just stay platonic friends? It’s more realistic that way

• c-mo says:

I completely agree with you and LK! The inevitable break-up would be very messy. I would much prefer that Mike and Rachel get back together. And maybe now that Nick Swisher is retired, he could make a cameo since he’s supposed to be working with FOX anyway.

• Chrissy says:

Totally agree. I rather them as friends than in a relationship.

• I’m definitely for the romance, but I don’t want to see them together until (hopefully) seasons in. I think they’d handle it all realistically.

• lila says:

Same here. I really enjoy their chemistry and want to see it continue to grow and maybe someday become something more but not anytime immediately soon.

• HMG3084 says:

IF they go this route Mike only has a few more seasons at best in him before retirement. So they can have them hookup after he retires and then it keeps him involved with the storyline once he retires and we can then follow him on his struggles of what to do now that he is no longer in the game.

• Brooke says:

@FOX please keep this show. It has a lightness, but still deals with some tougher issues with grace, and has a full line-up of diverse faces (on and off screen…4 out of 10 directors were women, 2 out of those 4 were WoC……….which is, like, light years ahead of other projects).

• Katherine215 says:

I love the romance. They better not keep it. And even though I’m a baseball fan, I don’t especially care about the team perspective as it’s not going to happen overnight and will likely involve Mike retiring and working for the team in some other capacity.

• Jamie says:

Part of me wants to agree with dumping the Ginny/Mike romance – dating a teammate is such a bad idea – but the other part of me feels like that would be such juicy drama…

2. Wrstlgirl says:

Didn’t even read the article. Just keep it!!!

3. TvDiva says:

This show is a hidden gem. Fox should take the time to market the show. The show is about more than baseball. Excellent writers and cast! We need to see more of Ginny and the crews story.

4. Penny says:

KEEP. A rare show that made me look forward to watching Live TV instead of DVR or OnDemand. Please!

• MMD says:

Me too. Plus it is the FIRST show I have ever watched on Fox! I very rarely watch anything live (can’t stand the commercials) even if I start watching on my dvr half an hour after the show started airing.
      I’ll add to your please Penny and say PRETTY PLEASE!!!

5. Nikki says:

Keep for sure. I really enjoyed this show.

6. Katherine215 says:

Keep Keep Keep!!! I love this show and will be heartbroken if it’s cancelled.

7. Dominique says:

keep. sure it has some flaws, but mostly it’s a really terrific and refreshing show with some excellent actors.
    i also like they hired actual baseballplayers and the remaining team members.

8. Kevin Tran says:

CUT PITCH. It’s going to be hard for the series and Fox to overcome after airing just 10 episodes in its first season.

• LMP says:

That’s not true – a number of successful shows had super short first seasons. First season of Grey’s Anatomy had 9 episodes, The Office had 6, Parks and Rec had 6, etc.

• Brooke says:

Additionally, I think the show is better suited for a tighter, shorter season that does away with any filler. I think that balances the price tag. Fox just has to invest in some strategic marketing to make sure people know when to watch. This season was poorly advertised and had rough competition. Imagine it in the summer!

• John NYC says:

A lot of Summer shows have proven a tight ten episodes is a better viewer deal than a stretched by filler fifteen plus.

9. Erik says:

My fave new show this year. I missed it because I didn’t get drawn in by the trailers but a friend told me about it and I LOVED it. Keep keep keep!!!

10. Linda says:

Keep. I love all of the characters and want to see more of them.

11. JennyB says:

Keep it! Unlike any other show out right now. I can see a lot of people binging it and getting into it. Liked the actors and the stories they were telling. Worth keeping!

12. pAloma says:

Keep but only if they keep Ginny and Mike in the mentee/mentor zone. That was a great and real relationship that we don’t see often on TV. Tired of shows where the stars always have to couple up. And for this show way too soapy.

13. staytravelin says:

Keep!!! This show is a gem. Imo, Fox renewed a couple of new shows it shouldn’t have, and dragging it’s feet on this one is killing me. Pitch is a great show. The dynamic between Ginny and all of the other characters is magic, and I especially love her relationship with Mike. I’d LOVE to see them develop that more. There were so many questions left unanswered at the end of episode 10–we absolutely need a season 2. Will Amelia come back? In what capacity? How will Ginny and her Will resolve their conflict? What’s going to happen with Ginny’s arm/career? What about the team? These are all things the fans are dying to know!

14. Tiffany says:

Keep
    Pitch is a great show and I really hope it returns and more people tune in. I was seriously watching each episode at least 4 times, it’s really good!!!

15. KD says:

This one of my favorite shows! Please keep it! There is so much to explore.

16. Kris C. says:

Keep. I get that Fox expected more from the ratings, but they have a quality show (and co-creator Dan Fogelman is in-demand due to the success of This Is Us), actors with great chemistry, and plenty of potential set up from season 1’s storylines. The sets are already built, the cast is trained, and some of the more expensive elements can be trimmed (fancy CG shots of pitches, at least half of the FoxSports talking heads) if the budget needs trimmed. They could easily grow the audience by re-airing season 1 over the summer.
    I like the baseball elements, the behind-the-scenes team elements, the teammate relationships (even the romance, and I don’t find it forced or unlikely), and the family and friend stories. There is plenty of potential here, if Fox is willing to play ball again.

17. Jared says:

The show and it’s ratings left a lot to be desired. Fox doesn’t need it. Cut!

18. yay says:

Definitely keep. Looks like some of those folks wanting to keep Ginny and Mike “platonic”spilled over from Sleepy Hollow.

• Nik says:

Basically. People seem to just want characters to be “friends” or “mentor/mentee” in these situations. Wonder if people would feel the same if Ginny was played by Ali….

19. Pat says:

Cut that garbage like an operable brain tumor. Society is catching on to the agenda pushing, and we’re tired of it.

• Pete says:

Speak for yourself. A lot of people happen to love this show, if you don’t like it don’t watch simple as that.

• JayJ says:

It’s called a premise,not an agenda. Or do you also believe that FOX is pushing an agenda by having a show about the devil working for the LAPD? Nice try in attempting to start a political argument on an entertainment website, TROLL!

20. Samantha says:

Keep for sure! Pitch was my favorite new show this year, I was so sad it was only 10 episodes. I liked it a lot more than alot of the returning shows this year. I love the cast and the chemistry between Kylie and MPG is off the charts! I am all for the Bawson relationship! I have been going crazy missing this show and I hope it gets renewed soon!

21. Dan Benthall says:

Your show sucks , Hillary lost , I say that is the single reason this show was even made ! Girl power ( right ! Why do they have a woman tee box at golf courses ,)it because wemen can’t compete on a man’s level !

• Emily says:

wow what a troll

• Lauren says:

No honey, Give women credit women can do anything men can do.There are several women who can do a man’s job how many men do you know that could carry a baby in their stomachs for 9 months and then go into labor for many hours.BTW not a Hilary fan, but you are very disrespectful to women in general,my guess is that you don’t have a wife. Pitch is a wonderful show and expresses just how sexist and disrespectful to women. Pitch should totally be renewed.

22. Nerdbot says:

I loved this show so I hope Fox renews it. The limited-series format works pretty well for this one, because it avoids filler episodes and that really helped to make this season a really good one.

23. Lauren says:

Keep! I love the characters. I have to find out what happens next with them! Don’t leave me hanging!

24. ED says:

Would love for a second season! One of the best shows of the year!

25. Superwoman says:

Keep!

26. Joey Padron says:

I vote keep! The show is really good. Hope the show will come back for season 2 for next TV season!

27. Jaclyn says:

KEEP!!! KEEP!!! Did I mention keep?!!! It was my favorite new show of the season..and Bawson 😍

28. meatwad says:

keep it, just got better and better as the season went on

29. Jeff says:

This was the surprise sleeper of the season run for me. I don’t watch sports, but really enjoyed this show.

30. Tricia says:

Please keep this show. It is such a great one. They’re are so many POC in major roles. There is a strong woman lead who is a role model for so many younger youth. We need more shows like this on air

31. MD says:

Keep. Definitely. The baseball, the role models, the interpersonal play. Absolute magic.

32. Anne says:

This show made me care about baseball for the first time.

33. lisa says:

I love this show! KEEP IT! It is one of the few original concepts and the characters are fantastic.

34. LilyG says:

Definitely KEEP! One of the best new shows of the season. With a little more promotion and even a slightly better timeslot, I think this show could take off. It already has a super loyal fanbase, who I know is telling family, friends, strangers to watch it. It’s so well written and I love all the characters, and especially the slow burn relationship of Ginny and Mike. I love baseball and drama and this show hits it all!

35. Amanda Waddell says:

KEEP!!!

36. Brooke says:

37. SA says:

Keep it please. I love the show, romance and all.

38. Red Snapper says:

Keep! This was definitely my favorite new show. I wasn’t even that excited about it but figured I’d give it a shot and I loved it. It was so much better than I thought it would be. I’m not even that into baseball. Even my significant other liked it and its not at all the kind of show he normally likes. They should get rid of Rosewood and keep Pitch.

39. Chereen Wilkins says:

Pitch: Beautifully written, this show is intriguing &smart. The acting is top notch. It needs time to find its audience. Needs exposure. Reiterate that it’s not JUST about baseball. Ppl may shy away if they don’t follow the sport. But it’s so much more. My friends hadn’t heard of it. Now they want it back as well. Please keep on the air!!

40. Rylie says:

Keep! Cmon Fox what are you waiting for?!

41. JudyVee says:

KEEP! My husband and I both like this show.

42. Phyllis says:

This was my favorite new show of the season!

43. kmw says:

While it would seem FOX should let it go based on their ratings however FOX doesn’t have much going for it right now. Empire Lethal Weapon and Gotham and Lucifer and even Star are steady but only Empire has good numbers and FOX is losing their sturdy Bones now and well they don’t have much else left. Pitch is a show FOX should hold on too despite their lackluster ratings if only for a another short season. Pitch definitely wasn’t helped by it being paired with Rosewood, it might have done at least marginally better if it had been with Empire. It will be interesting to see what FOX does come May

44. Keep!! Such a good show. I think a little more humor, some clever one liners would draw an audience. But omg. Itʻs such a good show! I binge watched it on hulu and was so glad I found it. :)
    Also, Iʻm for the romance between her and the catcher. :)

45. Ally Oop says:

KEEP IT OR ELSE!!! One of 3 new shows that I really really really liked this year along with This is Us and Queen Sugar.

46. lila says:

I would very well call Pitch the second breakout hit of the last pilot round on basic television (This Is Us taking first place) in terms of storytelling and acting. Its truly a diamond in the rough, gaining more and more fans every day and Fox would be crazy to cancel it.

47. MMD says:

I really hope TPTB look at your poll.As of now, 8:24 am AT it is 92.19% for keep with TVLine readers.

48. Kel says:

Put the show on a different night! Thursday nights are incredibly bloated with lots of good shows and my DVR just can’t handle it! I think moving it to either Monday or Wednesday would help the ratings a lot. Plus it took a while to show up On-Demand which doesn’t help.

49. Really!? says:

Needs to continue to improve, but I was very pleased with how they addressed the situation?issue? of a female pitcher in an all male league and thought they did pretty good. Would love to see more.

50. Gman says:

I think its a good show overall. I would hate to see it get cancelled.