Flash Season 3 Grodd Attack

The Flash Preview: As the Gorilla War Gets Personal, Will Barry Kill Grodd?

This Tuesday on The Flash (The CW, 8/7c), it’s “kill or be killed” for Grodd’s invading gorilla army — and maybe for Barry as well.

In Part 1 of the Gorilla City storyline, Barry and friends were imprisoned on Earth-Two and duped into doing sentient Grodd’s bidding, ousting Solovar as leader of the apes. Now, with Gypsy’s help, Grodd is about to launch an attack on his onetime home, Earth-One’s Central City — and to that end, he will hit a bit too close to home for the scarlet speedster.

Here, co-showrunner Aaron Helbing teases what’s ahead, as well as drops an interesting clue about Barry’s trip to the near-future.

TVLINE | Which came first, the assorted news headlines you wanted to Barry to see when he landed in the near-future, or the things you actually wanted to do in Season 3?
Oh, we wanted to do this type of two-part episode since Season 1, when we first introduced Grodd in Episode 5. We ask everyone on the show, “What do you absolutely have to see? If you could see anything, what would it be?” And “Barry against Solovar in an arena,” that alone is a headline we were definitely going to strive for. That’s something we’ve been building towards.

TVLINE | I appreciated Cisco’s throwaway line establishing that Earth-Two’s Africa is cold. Was that because you knew we’d be seeing the actors’ breath outside?
[Laughs] You know, we’re just dealing with the realities of Vancouver. And it being Earth-Two, anything’s possible. The actors are serious troupers, though, it was very, very cold. But we just went for it. This is what Mother Nature has given us, so we’ll march forward.

TVLINE | You took a Flashmoment in that episode to let Caitlin and Julian have that talk. Why was it important for that conversation to happen?
Because Julian has feelings for Caitlin and she’s important to him. He’s kind of an old-school guy going against a woman is clearly formidable and able to take care of herself, so he’s just trying to be a gentleman. He wanted to make sure that, since she’s a woman he cares about, he would be there for her in this alternate world. Plus, he got the opportunity to go to another Earth!

TVLINE | Ballpark figure, how many gorillas will we see storm Central City?
I think you’ll see about a legion. I’m just going back to my Spartacus days, where we would talk in those terms. I would say it’s about “a Roman legion” in the beginning.

TVLINE | The gorillas seem a bit fixated on setting fire to things. “Your city will burrrnnnn” and all that. Is that just because that’s what apes are gonna do? They’re not going to hack our computers?
I think Grodd could maybe hack a computer, since he’s a supergorilla, but the rest of them still fall under the laws of nature and “kill or be killed.” And since Grodd right now is telepathic, they’ll do whatever he tells them to. But I wouldn’t underestimate Grodd. Because of his telepathic abilities, he is able to overtake General McNally, who’s in charge of the military. Grodd has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.

TVLINE | I suppose they could also freely poop in the streets. That’s a threat.
[Laughs] I don’t know if that is visually exciting to us as a viewer, but that could be a possibility!

TVLINE | Is it safe to say Gypsy is not acting on her own free will, getting the gorillas to our Earth?
Yes, she is basically under Grodd’s control, and that will serve as a clue to Barry and the team that Grodd is no longer on Earth-Two, that he’s made his way onto Earth-One.

TVLINE | What uniquethe-flash-season-3-photos-3 challenges will Team Flash face going up against a legion of apes?
Since Grodd has the ability to overtake anyone, he’s going to overtake someone very close to Barry, and almost kill him. That’s really going to affect Barry and make him question: “Do I allow Grodd to live, or should I just kill him and put an end to it? Maybe that will change the future?” You’ll see Barry and Kid Flash and Jesse Quick, along with Vibe and Gypsy, take on the army of gorillas and do what they can. The gorillas aren’t as fast as speedsters, but when you’re going against 10 gorillas at a time, one of them is bound to get a punch in.

TVLINE | I don’t know if you saw Hulu’s 11.22.63 or read the novel, but one of the precepts there is “Time wants to happen,” and if you try to screw with the timeline, “Time pushes back.” Does that idea hold true for The Flash?
I think time does want to happen, but in our universe it’s malleable. So because of that, anything is possible.

TVLINE | What might Iris herself do, in the name of changing her future?
Honestly, I don’t want to give anything away on that front at this moment.

TVLINE | Lastly, a reader wanted to ask: Was it pure coincidence that Barry landed where and when he did in the future, to witness Savitar killing Iris?
I would say that Savitar has a plan. Since Savitar was kind of tethered to the Philosopher’s Stone, he sent Barry to a time that he needed him to go to.

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. myrcellasear says:

Really hoping we’ll get to see Iris come up with something when it comes to her future.

Meanwhile, I’m so excited to have G*psy back!

2. Micalea says:

You don’t want to give anything away on the Iris being involved in changing her future front *insert sure jan gif here*. Thanks tv line for always letting them know that a large chunk of us want Iris to be an active participant in a story revolving around her death. Hope this “great” surprise is revealed soon.

3. JCPrime1 says:

Thanks Matt. I’m really enjoying Felton on the show and Julains bond with Caitlin.

4. Diana says:

Lots of new information here, thanks! He’s making me curious with that answer about Iris! Interesting that Savitar is the one that sent Barry there.
    —-
    ‘Since Grodd has the ability to overtake anyone, he’s going to overtake someone very close to Barry, and almost kill him.’
    —-
    Who could this be? I’m guessing Joe, or maybe Jay comes back? Wasn’t Joe almost killed by Grodd in season 1?

• Butch says:

Joe or Iris would be the obvious choices. Hopefully Barry will be saved because whoever is taken over can stop themselves from killing Barry than Barry or another team member stopping them. Love stops Grodd.

5. Will says:

DVR deleted several episodes and first new one I caught was when they went to Gorilla City. I just have not been feeling the show this year and force myself to tune in. Anyone else feeling this way?

• ndixit says:

Not me! The show’s still great. But I’m sure you are not alone.

• anon says:

Last week was a pretty weak episode but I think so far 3B has been pretty great! You should definitely catch up on the ones you missed when the show came back from winter hiatus.

• Mo says:

Same here. The writing is ruining everything. Best example is last ep. This is freaking GRODD & Gorilla City & both were neutered by the awful writing.

6. justsomeguy says:

I’m confused by how much Iris is a non-factor to this show. She’s a bigger character in the comics but on the show she’s completely forgotten, even when the story is about preventing her death.

• Mo says:

Iris is bigger in the comics?! Huh. Probably why they took the fastest man alive mantra from Barry & gave it back to Wally. Barry on the show is about as pointless as Iris now that he’s all about her. Make Wally Flash and call it a day already.

• Flashfan says:

In the comics, she doesn’t have to compete with “other regulars” as she does on the packed TV show. Iris haters seem to conveniently forget her importance to (comic and now TV show) Barry and whine about his focus on her. That said, I don’t think she does much in the comics either. That’s why this show was their (creators and writers) opportunity to make her more than a love interest which they’ve not been that great at. Of course Barry should eventually save the day, but she should be an active (and not the current passive) participant in saving her life.

7. Tamara says:

Thanks for interview. The writing has been inconsistent (several plot holes). Audiences still need pieces, these concepts haven’t been developed. How can Cait use her powers but sometimes it makes her evil? Jesse staying on E1 for Wally?! Why isn’t Iris investigating to find any info about Savitar from Dr. A minions that are still around? And Savitar is the big bad but there’s no mystery about his identity or why he’s after Barry. Hopefully they can pull this season together. The actors are great, especially Grant, Candice, Tom and Jesse M.

8. amah lydia says:

Am Still With The Flash And Westallan They Are The Best Love Birds On Screen When You Want Real Chemistry?Then Westallan Got It.They Got Real Conection Than Delena.Wh6 Will You Vote For Westallan Or Delena

9. Azerty says:

I love the show but since season 1 the Grodd episodes have always been the weakest for me. Don’t know why but I can’t get into it. Maybe at some point Grodd will be the big bad of the season and they will get deeper on the character layers but so far that’s a meh for me.