Ratings: Oscars Hit 9-Year Low — Can the Downward Trend Be Reversed?

Unless I’m reading this envelope from the Nielsen Company wrong, Sunday night’s Oscars broadcast was down in the preliminary ratings from last year’s telecast.

Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel and capped by one of the most ignominious gaffes in awards-show history — as an envelope mix-up led Faye Dunaway to announce the wrong best Picture winner — ABC’s presentation of the 89th annual Academy Awards delivered 32.9 million total viewers and a 9.1 demo rating, down 4 and 13 percent from last year’s Chris Rock-hosted outing, which recorded eight-year lows.

You’d have to go back to 2008’s Jon Stewart-hosted Oscars, where No Country for Old Men won best Picture, to find a smaller audience (32 million).

Moonlight, not La La Land (in case you switched off the Zenith at the same time I did), was named Best Picture at this year’s kudoscast, while Emma Stone (La La Land), Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea), Viola Davis (Fences) and Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) grabbed gold in the acting categories.

Why do you think the Oscars’ numbers have been slipping? And what would you change to you reverse the trend?

1. Collette says:

Apart from being too political, the Oscars continue to give the hosting job to obnoxious people. Is there no one with the smooth charm of a Johnny Carson or the wry wit of Billy Crystal left on the planet?

• justice says:

If you have seen the current crop of late night hosts then you already know the answer to your question. Also, ABC won’t pick another network’s host because it gives free publicity to that network/show.

• Stacie says:

That’s not true at all. David Letterman(CBS) & Johnny Carson(NBC) were both from competing stations.

• TJ says:

It’s not always on ABC. Those years it was on their network. Networks bid to air it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The Oscars aired on ABC all the times Carson hosted, and when Letterman hosted. It doesn’t “rotate” like the Emmys.

• Stacie says:

It’s been aired on ABC since 1976. I was born in 75 so I had no idea that it was aired on any other station lol

• Brock Hard says:

It is always on ABC, they have an exclusive deal with the Academy.

• justice says:

Those days are gone. Everyone is fighting for scrapes these days. Back them ABC didn’t have a late night show, either. And in the days of Carson, he actually may have brought viewers with him. Letterman didn’t really work out, did he?

• Donny Zunker says:

okay… but if you read the article, Chris Rock did it last year…
        Or is Chris Rock on ABC?
        I know he has or had a 30 min sitcom…
        Never watched…

• Couch Mom says:

Not many good hosts around any more. As a kid, I watched the Oscars just to see Bob Hope. Then Johnny Carson. These new late night tv hosts can’t hold a candle to Carson – when he had great skits and actually had a conversation with his guests.

• Aeol says:

It actually wasn’t that political, all things considered and compared to other awards shows this season.

• dan says:

I agree. I expected more political commentary/opinions. I didn’t like Kimmel as Emmy host, but I thought he did a good job here except for the tired Matt Damon feud. I thought the show was more entertaining than it has been in years (especially the groan-inducing finale which was funny/sad at the same time).

• christine harris says:

One of the best in a while. They need to get Whoopie or Ellen back. I like Jimmy Kimmel. I think the speeches are boring from some of the winners.

• Karen Senecal says:

Ellen would be good, I think she would be more politically neutral and use her own humor. Whoopi has become extremely political and would use the stage for gr own agenda. But Ellen, yes…she has tons of comedic talent to sustain the show without involving politics.

• Inspector71 says:

Do you recall anyone at the Oscars making fun of Obama for the last 8 years?

• Brock Hard says:

And what would they have made fun of? He’s not a childish whiner like Trump.

• Brocks a libtard snowflake says:

Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lucifer says:

True, Obama is not hot-headed like Trump, but he’s had plenty of blunders and even gotten into arguments with the press, along with having childish comebacks. The only reason many don’t know about it is because 95% of the media mainstream was on his side for his time as president, they still are.

Also, it’s weird how people call Trump a whiner for complaining about the press, but Obama somehow wasn’t when he constantly blamed conservatives. republicans and racism for his never-ending mistakes.

• mary says:

They always toss in political jokes. Not so much Obama, because he could laugh at himself. Trump can’t, that’s why he gets hit so often. Kimmel inserted the twitter joke for a reason, you know.

• Lizzie says:

I thought the people on stage had plenty to say about their personal political views. Doesn’t belong at an awards show.

• Tasha says:

It belongs where ever they want to express themselves. It’s their time to say what they want as long as they get it in the allotted time.

• grazelled says:

@Tasha, which is why people aren’t watching to answer the title of this article.

• I disagree Tasha- Hollywood is there for one reason… to entertain us- to take us away from our everyday lives. They are not politicians, and should not use these events as soapboxes. They are allowed their voice, just not at the expense of the award committees.

• Karen Senecal says:

That’s why I have stopped watching. I like entertainment but politics….I can get that on news programs.

• Cindy says:

Are you high?

• Edna Beverly says:

I agree with Collette. Too political, poor choice in host. Why can’t Crystal or Goldberg host again? I loved them way back when. Ellen is terrific too.
      I think the bottom line is regular folk are becoming disenchanted with Hollywood and find it difficult to watch award shows, as they tend to end up looking like one big “stroke fest” for lack of a better term. People don’t go to the movies like they used to. We have so much social media access to the “stars” that we’re burnt out, they’re not mysteries to us anymore – we know their politics, we know every detail of their lives, it’s almost vulgar. We so connected now, I can see how some don’t want to watch or even care about famous people showing off how fabulous they are, meanwhile we’re awake to social issues, we’re seeing an imbalance. It’s not a fun escape anymore, I found myself thinking I would rather be watching one of my Netflix series than last nights ceremony.

• russ says:

Is there nothing but dead air between your ears? Goldberg ???

• mary says:

Lol. You say too political, yet ask for Whoopi? Hate to disappoint you but it would have far more political. BTW, just because they are celebrities doesn’t mean they don’t have the right to speak their opinion. I don’t agree when they do it while presenting, but their own speeches they can say anything they want. As long as it is not “vulgar”, which means profanity, etc. You know, it’s all of us that make them celebrities, & famous. They are regular people like you & me who entertain us. Why is it that when they become celebs, all of a sudden the rest of us decide what they can & cannot do? And yes, I know their are a few who do act like their Gods:).

• Kay says:

For me it doesn’t matter who the host is, this show is to long and with sites like this one it’s much easier to see who was dressed in what and who won right here…..

• KT says:

I’m with you, Kay. I can’t stand sitting through award shows. Even if I skip the inane red carpet stuff, the shows go on too long. I appreciate that entertainment sites recap the best and worst and I can be through in ten minutes or less! I like movies, but not enough to sit through endless award shows.

• Lucifer says:

Everyone’s talking about the political rants and the bad hosts, has anyone thought that perhaps the average people are done with watching an award show thrown by wealthy, Hollywood elitists to give themselves awards and then act like they’re god’s gift to the earth?

• chris says:

Most of the award shows are fundraisers for worthy charities. They also create a lot of revenue for local businesses–hotels, limo services, caterers, hair stylists, etc. And I think almost all those receiving awards are very generous in crediting all who helped them win and take the time to talk about those less fortunate than them.

• mary says:

Just wondering what movies, tv radio you are watching or listening too? I am sure there is something. They entertain us. Many are not wealthy & elitist. Yes, there are some. Just like their there are plenty of wealthy elitist throughout other professions. Sorry but it’s us who put them there. You like the Kardashian family? Gee, if it wasn’t for people wanting to watch them, & want to know what they are doing 24/7, they wouldn’t be around.

• chris says:

Personally I’d rather the snark of Ricky Gervais.

• Annie says:

Collette, I agree that the hosts over the past couple of years have been obnoxious and did not care for

2. justice says:

No surprise. No one wanted to hear all the political crap. I ended up watching and was surprised by the lack of it (except for stupid Gael Garcia Bernal) and thought it was the best show in years, ending not withstanding.

• Jay Bern says:

Maybe next year’s producers will re-brand it – but good luck with that. The black protests and politics are too much for many viewers. The black actors who won last night, and the movie, should be able to feel confident they won on talent – not a gift of pity or sympathy from voting Academy members.

• Mary says:

Really do you think they won because of their color. I think they are confident it was because of the quality of work. I didn’t make it through the whole broadcast but honestly I didn’t think it was that political at all.

• Kim gillette says:

That’s not what she meant imo. Last year was all
          About no blacks being nominated. Every year lately they have an agenda. This year politics and trump. They are a bunch of spoiled out of touch jerks. It’s not like the old days where we all made it an occasion to watch . And hosts have been horrible

• Mary says:

So you are assuming all these blacks were nominated because of the fallout last year, not because they deserved it due to their body of work. My point is no wonder why they feel like in the minority because of statements made like that.

• canadian ninja says:

It’s not like the old days where there were only three or four networks to watch and zero people were streaming the show on their phone/tablet/laptop.

Also the movies this year weren’t exactly blockbusters that mainstream people are familiar with.

• Lucifer says:

The president of the Academy announced after the 2016 Oscars that they would be forcing racial diversity into the following awards. Moonlight very well could have won on it’s own merits, but because of what the academy president said, it casts a shadow of doubt over the reason it won. If they stated they would do a better job at finding movies that don’t specifically fit the Oscars mold, fine. But they didn’t, they said forcing racial diversity was their top priority.

• Tasha says:

Yeah ummm no!!! It was good and they know it was good. No if a Medea movie had been nominated then I would agree with you. The whole reason people were upset last year was because there were actual films they felt were ignored that deserved to be nominated.

• MC says:

@Tasha – Which films from 2015 were unfairly ignored in last year’s Oscars?

• MB says:

Exactly why I tuned out. I have no love lost for Donald Trump, but I didn’t feel the need to spend four hours listening to people in formal wear whining about him.

• chris says:

Why do you say no one wants to hear the political stuff. Many of us are glad people are speaking out. I think people don’t tune in because the movies up for awards are not box office hits. I go to the movies a lot but had only seen one of the movies in the top categories. I mainly watch for the fashion.

3. AprilJo says:

A lot of people are tired of the potitical rants so they didn’t bother to watch.

• Freddie says:

Which is to say that a lot of people judge a thing without knowing it. Not surprising, but hardly acceptable behaviour from grown-ups.

• Stacie says:

Or they just had better things to watch…

• Katie Stone says:

I’m not sure I understand your logic. So other award shows have featured celebs using their acceptance speeches as a platform for their political statements this season and folks that weren’t interested in such were to watch the Oscars to see if they needed to avoid it? How about the same celebs at the Oscars were at the Globes applauding Meryl Streep…. it’s not a stretch to assume more of the same was possible and just not bother with it.

• Kim gillette says:

I didn’t watch those either because of politics. I also am against the trump protestors outside ( and I’m a trump person) this is not the time or place for politics .

• Gerri says:

Exactly. I don’t need some overpaid actors to tell me their opinions matter more than the millions of Americans who voted for Trump. The dialogue at the Oscars should be relevant to the movie industry, period. Lots of people feel the same way and have lost respect fo4 Hollywood.

• Dave Crowder says:

You mean like the hateful words and actions about Trump?

• E. D. Boddy says:

Or we knew exactly what it was. And we were right!

• peterwdawson says:

I hear you. I mean, after all the awards events with all the speeches, how much more is needed to be said? Problem is it’s the American entertainment industry, everyone wants to be the one to offer that inspiring speech to stand up against a guy they helped elevate and disagree with. I mean if you’re a fan of Trump it’s like just more liberal elite nonsense, and if you’re not, even then the affirmation that he sucks is kind of old hat by now. The constant battle of a desire for escapism from politics with the problem being politics has now dipped its toe deeply in our escapism.

4. Jay Bern says:

The Oscars should entertain – not politicize. This show has had too many controversies during the past several years. A turn-off – literally.

5. Donna Salvi says:

Good…maybe the narcissists will learn their lesson and realize nobody is watching them pat themselves on their backs anymore, so they’ll stop the political rants and act the way the world wants them to act..like people who go up and humbly accept their statue

• Freddie says:

I know, right? That Alessandro Bertolazzi, what a freaking narcissist. And that Sylvain Bellemare, speaking French like that, what a show-off. And who does John Gilbert think he’s kidding with that accent anyway?

• Mary says:

Wow act the way the world wants them to act. You want good little stepford people who are nothing more than robots and follows whatever a few want, seriously.

• Eurydice says:

Well, why not? That’s what the studios expect from actors. That’s what the movie audiences expect from actors. That’s why casting agents only want certain types. Hollywood is all about “give them what they want” – and they don’t mean what the actors want.

• Kim gillette says:

Right on!

• funnibone31 says:

Something very similar could be said for our President. Maybe he will stop with his narcissism and rants again the media and everyone being so unfair to him and act the way the world wants him to act, Presidential.

6. tracyg36 says:

How do you fix it? Easy – get rid of the categories nobody gives two craps about, move them to the technical Oscars. Look at what the Globes do – they keep it simple. Acting, Song, Director, Movie. Period. Add the musical performances in between and you’re done.

7. Katie Stone says:

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the program itself. Personally? I find award shows quite dull. It’s a bunch of people getting dressed up so they can spend an evening patting themselves on the back for playing make-pretend in front of the cameras. In the past, (and perhaps I’m dating myself here) I watched because my viewing options were limited and I wanted something on the screen. Today, however, there’s 100s of channels, Netflix, OnDemand programming, etc. I was happy catching up on my DVR and watching reruns of Law and Order instead of Hollywood’s love-in. Add to that, Hollywood folks have been using every microphone as an opportunity to push their political opinions at folks and many are growing tired of it. I have no desire to watch a person removed from reality sit and tell me how to think. They have a right to their 2cts. They have a right to share it, even. I have a right to opt to turn the channel and not hear it. So I took it. Perhaps they kept that out this year (as I’ve heard in a few places) but other shows were not quite that way and so many went in to the evening expecting it to be a lot of political commentary.

8. JOhnc says:

I have better things to do than watching a whole bunch of snowflakes padding each other shoulders and promoting their political ideology.

9. Christina says:

The ratings are down because Hollywood has become too political …period. They are out of touch with the American people. We don’t have to watch anything they produce, Act in or promote. We are tired of their rhetoric.

• Mary says:

You should say I not we because you do not speak for everyone. I never make it through the telecast but the truth is I watch for the dresses. It never bothers me when one speaks their mind because I am intelligent and open minded individual who is not afraid to hear others view. I guess I enjoy the fact that everyone isn’t alike and appreciate the diversity in others opinions even when I disagree. Sad really when others refuse the same courtesy.

• Mollymoo says:

Which is sort of ironic of you to say while you call out someone for not sharing your opinion. . .

• Mary says:

Sorry pointing out the proper terminology is not quite the same. My response does not put people in a group. Where in my response did I say she wasn’t entitle to her opinion.

• Mollymoo says:

I think criticizing one’s opinion is sort of the same thing. And many will take the statement ” It never bothers me when one speaks their mind because I am intelligent and open minded individual who is not afraid to hear others view. ” to imply those who don’t want to hear folks drone on about politics at an award show are neither intelligent or open minded. I’m not afraid to hear other view points, for what it’s worth. I am sort of sick of hearing others judge folks for theirs.

• Tasha says:

Sorry Mollymoo it’s not the same thing. She just said don’t speak for others she didn’t say don’t speak at all. If Christina would have said a lot of people I highly doubt Mary would have corrected her.

• Si says:

Funny, I agree with Mollymoo. I perceived the same comments as she did. I loved the irony of, “appreciate the diversity in others opinions even when I disagree” having seen some strong words if her opinion is challenged. I guess if one agrees with the writer’s opinion, bueno, if not, a very heated and almost rude NO BUENO is made evident. Of course, that is my opinion…..

• Jj says:

You fans of fascism need to stop pretending you are in some sort of majority. Putin’s puppet lost by 3 million votes and its approval ratings
      are at historic lows.

10. Brenda M Pepper says:

I know this year many people tuned out because of the Trump bashing. Remember lots of America voted for him. These si calked stars tried but could not get Clinton elected. Trump is working hard for our country and middle America who has suffered so much is happy with our new President.

• Mary says:

Technically if you break it all down, only 25% voted for him. The truth is the ones who did I guarantee the majority wouldn’t have watch the Oscar no matter what. I’m glad you feel he is working hard because you are in the minority of that. I guess it is good to keep the fantasy going reality will hit soon enough. Unfortunately many don’t have that advantage because it affects their lives now.

• Tom says:

Actually polls show a majority of Americans consider him a strong leader, and that’s with weak approval ratings. Not everyone’s in your bubble, snowflake

• Jj says:

Putin’s puppet has historically low approval ratings, but I suppose a
          person who thinks info wars is real news wouldn’t know that.

• DJ Doena says:

Calling him “Putin’s puppet” in one line but then slamming “info wars” in the next. That doesn’t really make a strong argument.

• TJ says:

He has the lowest approval rating as an incoming President and the polls show it has gone down. People are worried. He did not get the majority of the votes. If you add up those who voted third party and write ins…… over 74 million Americans voted against him. That’s way more than voted for him.

• Gerri says:

You’re right , Tom. The majority of Americans, many who didn’t vote for Trump, are behind him and agree with what he is doing. There will always be the crybabies who didn’t get their way and can’t accept it.

• Mary says:

No but the ones who gives him a strong leader rating are in his bubble, snowflake. Nice try but he still has a low approval rating period.

• Si says:

“appreciate the diversity in others opinions even when I disagree” Yeah, you sure do–as long as they agree with you. Perhaps you should read up on what irony actually is…SMDH

• Mary says:

SI- I know what irony is thank you very much. I was responding to his post using his OWN words. SMH.

• Aeol says:

Like the Oscar winner who was literally banned from entering the country at one point for no other reason than 45’s bigotry? You have a problem with his comments?

• Alex says:

The Iranian Oscar winner wasn’t banned, she chose not to attend in protest.

• Brocks a libtard snowflake says:

Banned, oh you mean the child rapist Roman Polanski. Taken Our Country Back get out of the way or ill have to go to my car and get my dodgeball, WeakAZZZZZ!

11. Patsy says:

Classless, ignorant people who IMAGINE THEMSELVES to be important to the rest of the world. I’m surprised the ratings weren’t worse in history of academy.

Watched the movie “Funny Girl” instead of academy awards. Most people did.

12. David says:

Everyone is tired of out of touch people trying to change society through acting like a character they wish they could really be… and while trying to”break a leg” they all ended up with a “foot in their mouth”. They are totally out of touch.

13. Patsy says:

too funny! Who’s doing the monitoring? The brilliant celebrities?

14. Jane says:

Honestly, I didn’t watch because:
    1) I thought it would be all ‘La La Land’ (a testimony to White Hollywood)
    2) No political statements would be more eloquent than what Meryl Streep already stated
    3) Kimmel – meh.
    4) I was irritated that excellent movies like Hidden Figures and Fences would be ignored (and I could catch Viola Davis’ speech on You Tube (which I did)
    Having said all that, I tuned in for Best Picrure and that was both horrifying to watch while still fairly compelling.

Next year:
    – get a better host
    – don’t pre-destine the winners

15. They’re dropping because people have turned entertainment into political views. I don’t watch them, and I don’t waste my hard-earned money on this nonsense. 1. I’ll watch Meet The Press if I want to be politicized; 2. I would rather read a good book. Hollywood has lost my business.

16. Carol Buda says:

Not interested in your political agenda. Actors should stick to entertainment. An anti American tasteless display.

• Mary says:

So I guess you are saying farmers and coal miners should stick to what they do best because the don’t know squat about politics, which might be accurate considering who they voted for. No what is anti American is people who feel that every CITIZEN VOICE should be heard. The ones who have lost their empathy towards others and what the US has stood for all these years.

• Mollymoo says:

How open minded of you. Mary, I’m sorry, but I just think being “open to hearing others opinions” isn’t enough. I find it’s equally important to treat those I disagree with with a measure of respect – regardless of how they act in return. Comments like this are dripping with judgement – lost their empathy? Why, because their approach isn’t yours? As an example, I’m all for programs that help feed the hungry and provide shelter for the homeless and opportunity for all – that doesn’t mean I’m for the government picking up the tab. I’m all for immigration – but I’m not for people coming into the country circumventing immigration laws to do so and then being given amnesty for doing so. Those things don’t mean I lack empathy – it means I don’t agree with political positions of some. I’m so sick of being told what an awful person I am for not buying the Democratic party lines hook and sinker. I’m tried of being ignored and being mocked without ever being heard. I didn’t like Trump. I don’t like Trump. But I didn’t like the alternatives I had either. We are where we are today because too many people are tone deaf to the other side, even as they stand there and laud themselves for being intelligent and open minded. . . Every voice SHOULD be heard – not literally – we’re not going to open the mic up and pass it around. But Hollywood has had a clear liberal lean for as long as I can remember and just because they have a spotlight doesn’t mean their 2cts count more than mine or anyone else’s.

• Mary says:

So you have no problem that with this ban? You know the ones with valid green cards and visa were not allowed back in. You don’t see anything wrong with signaling out Muslims? If you actually look at the amount of money that goes into these programs for the less fortunate you might be surprise. It is peanuts compare to what Corporate America gets. The truth that many of you middle Americans refuse to acknowledge is that technology has eliminated many of your jobs, not the Government. Sorry but that is the honest truth. The fact is no President, no matter who it is is going to bring them back. If you feel like that is being ignored or mocked then I would say it is time to do some self reflecting and maybe get retrained, which I know it is not always easy. The truth is whether you want to believe it or not, is many won’t even consider doing what the immigrants are willing to do. You know, you made a statement about being one sided. The truth is Obama sent many illegals back that were a threat. No he did not round them up like cattle, which is what Trump is doing, and throw them all out. I do say people lack empathy when immigrants who have lived and worked they whole live here and committed no crimes should be forced out and separated from their families. I feel the same way. I am sick of people saying I am a murderer because I am Pro Choice. I am sick of people saying liberals live off the system, when in fact many of us have well paying jobs. You all complain that your voices aren’t being heard yet you want to silence theirs. What gives you more rights then them the fact you don’t make their salary? It works both ways.

• Mollymoo says:

Thank you for taking a snippet and making a giant assumptions. You assume, I’m from “Middle America” which is typically a reference to a geographical area known for it’s red-state tendencies. I’m not. I’m actually a born-and-bred and never left good-old blue stater in the Northeast. You assume I fully supported a ban that included those with valid existing green cards & visas – saying I do not support illegal immigration does not mean I support banning those who have followed the proper procedures, but nice try sweetheart. You assume I am bitter about career changes – I work in tech. IN fact, my job didn’t even exist 10 years ago. I’m quite fine but thanks for your concern. And sincerely, I do thank you because you have done an admirable job at exemplifying the real problem we have today — people are so busy being ticked off about snapshots that they don’t actually stop and have real conversations with one another. They just take a tweetable snippet or headline and they fill in the blanks themselves. As for the amount of money going where – listen, I make it a point not to form an opinion and share it without doing my homework first. I want to be informed before I open my mouth so I am well aware of what goes where and how much…that does not mean I agree that the government is the answer to all our problems. But again, thank you for making an assumption. It’s nice to know there are still folks who assume they know more than me just because they think different. Love that about America.

• Michaela says:

And you’re trained to do what, Mary? I lost count of the spelling and grammatical errors in your post. They’re not even things that can be written off as typos. It’s a lack of knowledge of grammar and punctuation.
            So Mary, please tell me what blue collar workers should do? Go back to college and get a degree in gender studies? Maybe go in public assistance and collect money and housing for doing nothing?
            I’m sick of people like you acting like all republicans are inbred, uneducated idiots. Based in your poor spelling, grammar and logic, I think it’s safe to assume I have a higher level of intelligence and a higher degree than you.

• Mollymoo says:

Michaela, in fairness, I don’t think it’s fair to make assumptions about a person based on the grammar and spelling choices online. I admittedly make more than my fair share when I type on my phone – especially when I’m irritated with someone that I’m typing too. :) Later in this conversation, our Mary herself says respect is earned. I disagree with that. In fact, I vehemently disagree. Treating others with respect says more about me than it does them. I don’t have to like or agree with a person to treat them in a respectful manner. Sometimes I slip. I’m human. It happens. But ultimately, our goal should be to treat others with dignity and respect whether or not we think they deserve it.

• Karen Senecal says:

Is this a political rant site all if a sudden. I think the discussion was about the Oscars and ratings. People have a right to express themselves, but there are loads of shows where they can go to do it. I would like an entertainment show to entertain, that’s all. No agenda…just would like a place where you can kick back, laugh and find calm.

• Mary says:

@Mollymoo Well I might have made assumptions but when one responds using I that usually implies they are talking about themselves.

• Mollymoo says:

I don’t think you actually read what I said either time. I was speaking of myself but you inferred things about me based on those comments – things I did not say nor allude to. You saw two position statements and decided you knew where I lived and what I thought on other issues. Again, the problems we face as a country is that large swaths of people are willing to assume they see the depths merely by scratching the surface. I don’t want to do make assumptions myself so forgive me if I’m wrong. I am getting the feeling you aren’t interested in anything that doesn’t
            Validate your black and white view of politics. People really aren’t all “if, then”‘statements. And it’s not us vs them.

• Jj says:

People like you are the reason hitler was able to do what he did.

17. Rose says:

Too political. Nobody cares about their opinions.

18. Brian Stock says:

The American people should stop going to movies because Hollywood thinks they speak for America which they Shirley do not. Just look at the revenue figures for the recent crop of movies and you will see dismal results. Keep it up America and we will shut them into foreclosure on their undeserved lifestyle

• Mary says:

Surely you might this right. Some films have done very well, others not so much but that has always been the case. With technology today movies theaters might be obsolete in a few years, but I don’t see movies not being made only distributed differently.

• Freddie says:

U.S. movies often do better abroad then they do domestically, hence why the Fast & Furious/Transformers/xXx franchises won’t die. And, because the U.S. is an economy that’s very reliant on exports, they don’t need people to see those movies to make money.
      So maybe it’s time to wake up and realize that the “U.S. entertainment industry” isn’t just about the U.S. anymore. Not if you want to keep exporting anyway.

19. Jon Harvard says:

As long as the people of Hollywood make fools of themselves with all the politicizing, there will be less and less people going to the movies and watching shows like the Oscars.

20. Hurley says:

SO MANY ADS!

21. Kim gillette says:

I’m
    So sick of their personal agenda( politics) and not thinking about us the fans, last year was bad enough with the black deal now you have a beautiful Valentino gown wore with a blue ribbon? I’m sick of it! We used to do parties where we get dressed up etc … no more

• Mary says:

You’re offended because they wore a blue ribbon? Were you offended when they waved the Nazi flag during the conservative convention?

• Kim gillette says:

Helllo that was thrown out and not republican people . Check your facts

• Mary says:

Sorry I did check my facts and it happened. Now claiming to be a joke but true. So you are saying there were no Republicans there? I think it is you who needs to do a little fact checking.

• dorothy says:

You mean the people who were planted there by the democrats. I can tell by your posts
        you are a member of BLM. Start listening to the facts.

• Mary says:

Oh yes, everyone who protest are being paid, debunked. Yes blame the democrats, never take responsibility for your actions. I see you follow 45 rule of thumb blame someone else. No I am no a member but what difference would it make if I was. that statement implies you are one of the racist who refuse to see the facts.

22. CH says:

It is too political. I don’t care what there political views are and don’t care to hear it.

23. the people who voted for Trump in the office of the White House are totally discouraged and fed up with this Disloyalty to our country the disrespect to ourpresident. Elite hollywood are nasty, ugly and disrespectful to their audience. Actors r suppose to entertain not throw disdain into our face. Hollywood is our enemy change this trend? Change your dang attitude towards our president!

• Mary says:

Respect is earned not a given. “Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else.” Teddy Roosevelt.

• M says:

You mean, like the way so many of those people disrespected President Obama? Was that not disloyalty to our president? All the vile, nasty treatment he got, even from the man who is now president? Why was it OK for people to disrespect our former president, and yet now you say no one should speak against the current one who, seriously, acts like a spoiled child?

24. Deborah says:

Will not return to watching any awards programs until the communist narcissists stop forcing their anti American crap and anti Trump propaganda down our throats. I’m losing respect for the whole industry. PATHETIC!!! Well let’s see how well you do without the patrons who pay to watch you overblown egos perform.

25. Steve says:

While self-righteous Hollywood celebrated islam, muslims beheaded 70-year-old German Jurgen Kantner.

#IslamKills

26. Deborah says:

Our comments are reviewed before they are allowed to be posted? Reminds me of Communist Germany when Adolf ran the show. George Soros has a total grip on Hollywood

27. Katie Spurgeon says:

No one cares to hear them berating a United States President. Where is the respect!!!

28. Dan Parks says:

I watch the Oscars to feel good and be entertained, not to hear actor elites bash the President. If you want to do that, do it as a guest on Jimmy Kimmels show. My recourse is to change the channel. You, the Oscar Ratings Committee, by your tolerance, need to decide if I don’t watch the Oscars, Kimmels Show, or both.

29. Who needs to be lectured by a bunch of perverts, drunks and drug addicts?

30. Pam dye says:

Didn’t watch sick of the talk about our president they need. To get over it

31. Jane says:

My reason for not watching was much less controversial than most of the other comments, the Walking Dead was on. If they want more viewers don’t put it up against something as popular as that show.

32. DJ Doena says:

The political controversy aside: Why does anyone watch award shows? What are the Oscars essentially? Oscar 1: 5 candidates are nominated and short clips are shown; A previous winner goes center stage, opens an envelope (hopefully the right one ;-)) and anounces the winner; The winner thanks their mother and her dog for this achievement and leaves the stage. Oscar 2: 5 candidates … Oscar 3: 5 candidates … Last Oscar of the evening: 5 candidates …

• KLS says:

Agreed. I am only interested in who wins the awards. There are very few entertaining award shows and that’s why I watch TV, to be entertained. Lets face it, most of the people in Hollywood are awful in front of live audiences, unscripted and watching them up on stage like that is often painful.

33. Ann says:

We are tired of listen to liberal rants about OUR president from over paid under talented hacks . We pay them to entertain, not talk their version of politics.
    KARMA visited Streep last night .lol may they all realized their limitations before they meet with the same fate.

• Jenna says:

How did karma get her? She celebrated her historic TWENTIETH nomination and was met with wild acclaim and applause. She’s a hallmark of achievement in acting and performance and everybody knows that.

• Aeol says:

I don’t pay you to talk about politics, so do me a favor and shut up just like the artists you want to silence. Do your job, you have no right to talk about politics!!
      Have I got that right?

34. The hosts and the producers are not the problem, although it is weird that multiple different sets of producers/hosts run different variations on the same gags.

I’m pretty sure the audience for the Oscars is still much larger than the total ticket receipts for all of the Best Picture nominees combined. That says ABC is doing the right things to draw a bigger audience, but the Academy has to get out of this ‘Oscar Bait’ cycle and start recognizing excellent ‘popcorn’ movies as well.

Why would folks watch if they don’t have any investment in the movies nominated.

• Katie Stone says:

This is a good point. Of the films nominated for best picture, I saw…well none of them yet. I want to see Hidden Figures. My husband and son saw Hacksaw Ridge. We don’t go to many films in the theater. Not when it cost me nearly $50 for four of us. I tend to wait and catch what I want to see when it’s on DVD or showing up as an “on demand’ choice from my cable provider. To be frank, I hadn’t even heard of several of the nominated movies and had to look up their synopsis on line to know what they were about. Which m means I have no vested interest and that doesn’t convert to ratings. When I look back over previous winners, I realize that my idea of a good film and the Academy’s don’t always jive. In 1999, American Beauty won best film. I have yet to figure out why. In a year with The Green Mile and the Sixth Sense. . . Cider House Rules…. I’d have gone with any of those three over AB. In 2005 it went to Crash? I mean really? Any of the other nominees would have been better. And yes, that’s all subjective..I get that.

• DrKellyNotMD says:

Agreed! I go to the movies every weekend and had seen 3 of the best picture nominees (Hidden Figures, La La Land, & Hacksaw Ridge). All were great for different reasons, but there were many other movies I enjoyed this year as well. For example, Captain America: Civil War was tremendous, but nowhere to be found. Half the fun of awards shows is rooting for movies you have seen & enjoyed. If you haven’t seen many or any of the niminated films, what reason do you have to tune in?

35. Brett Carruthers says:

There’s an obvious answer to the host and ratings issue: Get The Rock to do it. Problem solved.

36. Award shows are just dull, and the Oscars are the dullest of all.

Why anyone would want to sit through over 3 hours of watching people pat each other on the back for acting is more puzzling than why people tune out. But with all the political crap coming out of Hollywood this year, I did notice a lot of people saying they were boycotting on social media simply because they were tired of seeing Hollyweird bash anyone who did not support their liberal viewpoints.

A bigger question for Hollywood may be will those same people extend that boycott to movies and tv shows, but it will be interesting to watch for sure.

Remains to be seen,but should be interesting to see how Hollywood reacts to what I’ve seen some conservatives call “reverse McCarthism” that seems to be prevalent there now. If you don’t agree with their views, you are threatened with loss of work.

37. Bri says:

I think the political thing is a reason – and I’m a political junkie.
    But movies are also crap. If I just think back at the end of the 90s, early 2000s, you could quote movies. Even if you didn’t watch them, they were everywhere. I haven’t seen the Matrix trilogy and I get the jokes. I know what it’s about.

Nowadays, because you can download anything, there’s no need to go to the cinema, people can choose what they watch. Which is good in a way. And Oscar movies have to have a message. Like, there are only a few movies you could actually enjoy. The ones they nominate sometimes are wannabe artsy things.

So I choose TV any day of the week.

38. Diana Marie says:

These people are pretenders I have no clue why they feel I want to hear their dribble. They are entertainers and should remain so. I am a ex-Democrate from Ohio who broke rank and voted Trump with good reason. I don’t need to watch what should be pure entertainment turned I know better than you….they don’t! I also will not go to the movies or rent movies of artists, ( not politicians} of those who spewed their opinions. They need to keep doing what they are being paid for only, acting!

• Mary says:

Yet you voted for a tv reality show personality. Umm no logic in that statement whatsoever.

• mary says:

Um, but they are human beings you know? I don’t get this, all of a sudden we are telling people when they can & cannot speak? They are not taking up your primetime that was scheduled for something else. Geez, did people forget you have a mute button, which you can hit for the 1 MINUTE speech he/she gives when accepting his/her award. If anything we are the ones who have gotten spoiled.

• G. Eternus says:

Half of this country disagrees with Hollywood. While they have absolutely got the right to speak their minds, I also have the right to reduce their profits because I disagree. They need to learn NOT to alienate 50% of their audience.

39. Kelly Fenter says:

I did not watch and will not watch any longer because of the affirmative action and political rants. This has gotten so out of hand that we the people are tuning out. Late night hosts are not funny or clever anymore, they speak for shock value. I am sure next year’s Oscar’s will be hosted by the untalented and stupid Samantha Bee.

40. Alison says:

Love Kimmel but he’s not popular with the baby boomers, which seem to be the main audience when it comes to the Oscars.

41. Deb says:

Liberal Hollywood thinks they are so much more important than they really are. How about using box office results for best picture? Token nominations and awards for African Americans & Muslims is not the way to go. Just stop broadcasting them. That way they can all pay themselves on the back without us having to watch. Done with Hollyweird!

42. Bill says:

Keep there mouths shut about politics and sure it can be reversed no body cares what the rich elite think….never have and never will.

43. Steph says:

I tune in for the fashion and I like Jimmy Kimmel. But I think a bigger thing is lot of people haven’t seen the movies. I don’t really pay to go to the movies anymore so I wait till after awards season to see most of them.
    However, anyone who votes can share their opinion regarding politics. If you don’t like it turn it off. You don’t need like or agree with others people’s opinions but you should be respectful of them.
    Or do we not do that anymore?

44. Deb says:

I’m so over Hollyweird congratulating themselves and telling us how to think and act. The token black & Muslim nominations were so obvious. Not watching EVER!! Not going to the movie theater anymore either.

• Mary says:

Did you actually watch any of those movies to make such a blank statement? The only think that seems obvious from a few post you have made, is that you are a bigot.

45. TruckinMack says:

In general, I’ve lost interest in Hollywood, but if Deadpool had been nominated (and then won) the viewership would have been off the charts. Deadpool was the most interesting, the most entertaining and the most clever movie of 2016. Moonlighting won? I am not going to bother Googling to find out what that movie was about. That award was just Hollywood telling us what we should be enjoying, and as usual, Hollywood does not have a clue.

46. Jj says:

This is the 4th consecutive year of ratings decline so I don’t think it’s politics. However, It’s hilarious to see some of the commenters here crying that they are afraid the mean celebrities would speak ill of Putin’s puppet. Talk about snowflakes! At any rate, I was bummed the show wasn’t that political. In a time when fascism is about to devour America, anyone fortunate enough to have a microphone needs to be talking about it.

• Michaela says:

You keep mentioning fascism, but the only fascism I see is from liberals who won’t allow any other viewpoint. I’ve seen liberal college campuses set fires and destroy private property to stop another human being from exercising his right to free speech. I’ve seen liberal protesters try to physically block conservatives from attending the inauguration.
      Time to face it, liberals. The new fascism is anti-fascism.

47. maregolden says:

I don’t have any interest in watching the Oscars because the movies that are nominated by the academy are they ones they think will be important for me to see. I prefer movies that are well made and entertaining to me. For example, I think the best movie of 2016 was Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Since that was also one of the top grossing movies of the year, I think the general public agrees. Some of the worst movies I’ve ever watched were best picture winners. They were preachy and boring.

48. Jill says:

They just last way too long. Many people are too busy in life to sit for 5 hours to watch Hollywood give each other more awards. It is over bloated and over political. Now, I can go online to see the fashion if I want, and see the list of winners at the end of the night. Also- there are what- 10 different award shows for the movies every year? The Academy Awards aren’t as prestigious as they once were now that there is an awards show every weekend for them (sometimes twice in one weekend).

49. texmike says:

I don’t know anyone including myself that intended to watch due to the expected Trump bashing.

• I agree. That is the reason I didn’t watch this yearsOscars. I am not the only one They- Hollywood – for some reason seem to think all movie goers are liberals, NOT!!!. There was a concerted effort among conservatives not to watch this year because of the bashing. and I think they felt it.

50. Jasmin says:

Most American’s do not live in a home that cost millions, most do not ever ride in a limo their entire life, most would never buy a dress to wear at the same cost of a small home, most American’s never have a police escort until the day they die, most cannot afford a vacation, child’s college or a swimming pool in their back yard. How about those 5th generation welfare American’s…is welfare enough for them? Seems like the liberals think so since nothing is changing.
    These “celebrities” have no idea what it’s like to struggle and most American people have been struggling for 20 years or longer just to pay their mortgage. These ‘entertainers” pretend/act like they are the normal ones and that anyone that does not believe that they really love everyone and that everyone should have whatever they want off the taxpayers then we are noting but racist and bigots when we say “NO MORE”. American’s having a “free” country has lost its real meaning with these liberals….Free doesn’t mean everything is free for you no matter where you come from legally or illegally. Not only do I not watch these buffoon’s we do not support them EVER and all American Patriots should boycott them as well. Do not pay these people to destroy our America!

• Mary says:

There is no logic to your statement whatsoever. You voted for a man who is a tv reality star who got his money thanks to dear old dad. He lives in a gold tacky mansion, sells his name for a buck, and yet you don’t see the irony is your words. I don’t think you comprehend what a true American Patriots is.