Chicago Fire PD Justice Crossover

Chicago Justice EP Previews 'Huge' Crossover, Law & Order Connection

Dick Wolf’s Windy City-set empire will usher in its newest member, Chicago Justice, on Wednesday (beginning at 8/7c on NBC) with the franchise’s biggest crossover yet.

The three-hour event kicks off when Chicago Fire tackles “a ripped-from-the-headlines” situation based on the 2016 Oakland warehouse fire that killed 36 people, according to executive producer Peter Jankowski, who serves as an EP on all four Chicago shows. “It affects, very closely, one of our lead characters, and he has a tremendous loss because of it.”

The action then moves to Chicago P.D. (at 9 pm) and “resolves in a very satisfying way” on Justice (at 10 pm). After the perpetrator is caught, “it becomes a very interesting discussion about the effect fake news, social media [and] our electronic world has on the younger generation,” Jankowski hints.

The Chicago family is no stranger to interweaving storylines, but Jankowski says this week’s crossover is “huge” compared to what the NBC dramas have previously staged.

Chicago Crossover“The scope of it is very large,” he previews. “The Chicago Fire piece of it, we put a lot of effort into making it harrowing and emotionally gripping. It’s a much bigger episode than we normally do.” Plus, even though Chicago Med isn’t airing the same night — at one point, it was part of the event, until the nature of the crime called for “a strong investigatory piece” — the docs and hospital are still present, so “it’s really four shows in three hours,” he adds.

You could even argue it’s five shows, with Tovah Feldshuh reprising her Law & Order role as Danielle Melnick, who is now a judge presiding over the arsonist case. On top of that, Justice lead Philip Winchester plays Peter Stone, the son of Law & Order Executive ADA Ben Stone (portrayed by Michael Moriarty). For the producers, the choice was “just automatic” after casting Winchester, who “has the same kind of bearing and stature” as Moriarty, Jankowski explains.

Chicago JusticeJustice‘s timeslot premiere on Sunday (at 9 pm) also features Ben Stone’s former L&O partner Paul Robinette (Richard Brooks), who has a “contentious” face-off with Peter in court.

“The ghost of Law & Order is hovering over Justice,” Jankowski admits — in more ways than one. Given the surface similarities between the two shows, one might wonder what sets the new legal drama apart from its predecessor.

Justice has a bit more sensitivity to the [characters’] lives outside of work,” Jankowski says. “It’s still a self-contained show, even more so than Med and P.D. I think Fire is definitely a soap opera. [Justice] has a self-contained sense about it, but we’re trying to bring a little bit more character, reflect a little bit more of the millennial generation.”

Chicago fans, will you be checking out Justice?

1. MMD says:

No – I originally watched Chicago Fire but once they came up with all these spin-offs and crossovers, I thought the hell with the entire franchise.

• Why? Did you try the spin offs? Chicago PD is great, and Chicago Med reminds me of ER sometimes (more ER than like…Grey’s Anatomy, for example. More procedural than soap opera-y). Just sayin…don’t write off the franchise without giving it a shot.

• MMD says:

I didn’t like Chicago PD at all plus I really annoyed when they killed off Shay’s character because I loved the relationship between she and Severide. It was also too big of a time commitment. So I did give it a try, just not a very long one.

• scottishwildcat13 says:

Jeez… if Chicago Med is considered more procedural than soapy, I’m glad I never watched any US medical “dramas” other than House and St Elsewhere. I had to give up on Fire and Med because they were far too soapy for my tastes.

2. Kevin Tran says:

I’ll give Chicago Justice a try come Sunday. Great to see Michael Stonebridge aka Philip Winchester and Apollo Creed aka Carl Weathers on the same show.

3. Kristin says:

As someone who lives in the Bay Area, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to watch this crossover event. Maybe at some point in time, but this just seems way too soon. (Considering the devastating fire only happened late last year).

• I said this when SVU did an episode back in its 16th season based on Elliott Roger’s killing spree, and I’ll say it again.

The question is, how soon is too soon? If TV shows waited until it was no longer, “too soon,” (whatever that means, anyway) to take true, often heart-renching stories and use them as inspiration for their fictional ones, we really wouldn’t have much to watch.

Personally, I liked this three-hour event. It was well put together, and definitely vary well acted. You really felt the emotions of everyone involved.

This whole, “it’s too soon” belief (which everyone who believes it has the right to do so, do not get me wrong there) has me thinking. I don’t recall people saying it was “too soon” when shows like “NYPD Blue” and “Third Watch” tackled 9/11 only weeks after it happened; the latter’s underlying premise for that entire season and indeed, throughout the rest of its run somewhat, was the fictional cops, firefighters, and paramedics struggling to come to grips with what happened that day just as their real-life counterparts were, as was the entire nation. Those shows took a tragedy of unimaginable proportions and incorporated it into the professional and personal lives of their fictional characters, just as this three-hour event between “Fire,” “PD,” and “Justice” did with what happened in the Bay Area. And far from being criticized for it, “Blue” and “Watch” were, if I recall correctly, praised for addressing it and by the vary people who were at Ground 0 that day, and lived to tell the tale no less.

• Margaret says:

I live in San Francisco and love the Chicago series, but I hadn’t seen the previews for the crossover and had no idea it would so close mirror what happened at Ghostship. It was definitely hard to watch but it did feel like they treated it with respect.

4. Haz says:

Well I was going to try Justice but now that I know it’s starting with a crossover I’ll pass. I watched PD but dropped it during season 3 when they started the 3 and 4 way crossovers. As great of a ratings booster it might be I can’t stand The Olivia Benson Show and I didn’t watch Fire and it just becomes all jumbled in my opinion.

5. Cordell says:

As a fan of crossovers I can’t wait but I wish SVU could be part of this

6. Ben says:

I can’t wait! I love these shows

7. Wrstlgirl says:

I’m there!!!

8. T.W.S.S. says:

“I think Fire is definitely a soap opera.” This is why I don’t watch Fire, not even during crossover events.

9. Sarah D says:

Yes pls!

10. Chloe says:

I think I’ll catch all 3 of them on OnDemand. Three hours all at once is a bit too much.

11. danoregon says:

Where is Munch?

12. Tina Tuell says:

I Love Love Love all the Chicago Shows.And I will Continue to Watch All 4.Great Actors and Story Lines.

13. Rebecca says:

The Chicago franchise is the best thing going on TV. Fire is the best of them all. I love the way they are intertwined but still independent.

14. Justme-in-AZ says:

I’m making sure that my DVR is recording all of the shows! I love all of the Chicago’s and I’ve been watching L&O since the original, love SVU (miss Stabler).

15. Marie G says:

Absolutely!!! I love the connection between the shows and the way characters are moved between episodes..

16. Linda Lundberg says:

I’m really disappointed that you did the whole crossover in 1 night. Due to other scheduled shows and me at work, you have screwed me out of seeing any of it.

17. laura carr says:

to answer the question will i be checking out Chicago Justice? the answer is you betcha.

18. Jared Munson says:

Will Moriarty ever guest star on the series? Is Ben dead? Will they recast him?

19. Cobra says:

Was it officially said that Peter Stone is Ben Stone’s son? I definitely caught that it was the same name, but never heard that he was his son? Is that something coming out in an upcoming episode?

20. Marya Morin says:

help–I’m confused. I love them all.Could someone please tell me what order to watch them in??I have Fire, PD, Med, Justice and SVU all on tape, but don’t know what to watch first to follow the story seamlessly.

• Tara says:

For the cross over watch Fire followed by PD and then Justice. Med’s episode this week was separate they were included in the other shows for the cross over :)

• Marya Morin says:

Tara!! Thank you ever so much for clarifying this for me. I’ve been trolling everywhere to try and find the correct sequence, but there is so much confusion. Some sites even include Law & Order SVU in the crossover–while others add Chicago Med. I truly appreciate your help—and your very prompt reply.

• Kellie says:

Thanks Tara. I was trying to find the same info on what show to watch first. I am getting ready to enjoy my three hour marathon now on OnDemand. Cheers!

21. Paul Rubin says:

The brilliance in writing and creativity to tie all of Dick Wolfe’s shows was amazing. Creating a character as ben Stone’s son and then add Paul Robinette, who has appeared in all of L&O series in some fashion highlights why Dick wolf’s longevity exists. The Chicag series has the appeared blitz to crossover on so many levels.

22. Jerold Vodry says:

We have Chicago PD don’t need justice’ cops are better on pd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. hola tvline

quiero saber esto

esta serie Chicago Hope, The Chicago Code y Against the Wall es parte de Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Chicago Med y Chicago Justice

des pues

quiero saber que tiene entre estas dos series Chicago Hope vs Chicago Med

aparte que diferencia tiene entre estas series The Chicago Code, Against the Wall vs Chicago P.D.

de paso tambien quiero saber sobre que tiene entre si estas series, pelicula, etc de similares entre si

Chicago Fire vs Rescue Me, Third Watch, Boston Fire, Sos mi hombre, La vida en llamas, 9/11, The Towering Inferno, Backdraft, Fireproof, Ladder 49, World Trade Center, Firestorm, Código fuego, Emergencia, Fahrenheit 451, etc

estas series estuvieron juntas entre si

aparte estuvieron estas series juntas Law & Order mini serie, Law & Order, Exiled: A Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Law & Order: You the Jury, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Law & Order: True Crime, Law & Order: UK

tambien etas series estuvieron juntas

Chicago Hope, The Chicago Code, Against the Wall, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Chicago Med, Chicago Justice, Law & Order mini serie, Law & Order, Exiled: A Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Law & Order: You the Jury, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Law & Order: True Crime, Law & Order: UK

y despues estuvieron todas estas otras series parecidas a estas juntas

Navy: investigación criminal, NCIS: Picture Perfect: The Look of NCIS, NCIS: Behind the Set: The Production Design of NCIS, Infanity, NCIS: Los Ángeles, The Real NCIS, Inside NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans, JAG, Hawaii Five-0, MacGyver, Blue Bloods, Rookie Blue, Flashpoint, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, C.S.I: Las Vegas, CSI: Miami, Without a Trace, Cold Case, CSI: NY, The Real CSI mini series, The Real CSI, CSI: Cyber, C.S.I. Sierra Madre, C.S.I. Maine, C.S.I. Spoof, CIS: Chaoten im Sondereinsatz, CSI: Immortality con Chicago Hope, The Chicago Code, Against the Wall, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Chicago Med, Chicago Justice, Law & Order mini serie, Law & Order, Exiled: A Law & Order Movie, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Law & Order: You the Jury, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Law & Order: True Crime, Law & Order: UK

y si no estuvieron estas series juntas por que no intentan que esten juntas empesando con estas series policiales, bomberos, etc

Navy: investigación criminal, NCIS: Picture Perfect: The Look of NCIS, NCIS: Behind the Set: The Production Design of NCIS, Infanity, NCIS: Los Ángeles, The Real NCIS, Inside NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans, JAG, Hawaii Five-0, MacGyver, Blue Bloods, Rookie Blue, Flashpoint, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, C.S.I: Las Vegas, CSI: Miami, Without a Trace, Cold Case, CSI: NY, The Real CSI mini series, The Real CSI, CSI: Cyber, C.S.I. Sierra Madre, C.S.I. Maine, C.S.I. Spoof, CIS: Chaoten im Sondereinsatz, CSI: Immortality, The Chicago Code, Against the Wall, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Chicago Justice, Law & Order mini serie, Law & Order, Exiled: A Law & Order Movie, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Law & Order: You the Jury, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Law & Order: True Crime, Law & Order: UK y despues unan estas series de medicos Chicago Hope y Chicago Med