Ryan Murphy: American Horror Story Season 7 Won't Feature Trump

Remember when Ryan Murphy revealed to the world that American Horror Story‘s forthcoming season would focus on the 2016 election? Yeah, he was just kidding about that — sort of. (It was more of an “alternative fact,” if you will.)

During the Publicists Guild Awards Luncheon in Beverly Hills on Friday, Murphy clarified that the “reveal” made on the Feb. 15 episode of Watch What Happens Live should not have been taken literally. In other words, while Season 7 might be inspired by the 2016 election, it will not include actors portraying then-candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

“The themes of American Horror Story have always been allegories,” Murphy said, per our sister site Indiewire. “You will not see [Donald] Trump and [Hillary] Clinton as characters on the show.” He also implied that his consumption of “three martinis in 20 minutes” might have had something to do with the answer he gave host Andy Cohen.

Murphy, who was presented with a Television Showmanship of the Year award by AHS star Sarah Paulson, did however joke that he could envision the Emmy-winning actress in the role of Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway.

Are you relieved American Horror Story won’t directly depict the 2016 election, or were you secretly curious about who Murphy might have cast to portray Trump and Clinton?

1. Brian says:

Did anyone actually think it would literally be about Trump/Clinton? I thought it was a given that at most t would be “Law & Order ripped from the headlines” style characters obviously based on them, but no way would it use the actual people involved.

• peterwdawson says:

I’d have loved to see the Clintons portrayed as something like the old guard of a cult who, decades ago, summoned forth a dark power to achieve their goals, but now as they work to continue their legacy a man long familiar is possessed by a new, darker, yet at the same time older and familiar power. Basically a whirlpool of corruption with some kind of dark pact acting as a play on real corruption and such.

2. John036 says:

oh shocker, ryan is back tracking on what he originally said. why am i not surprised.

3. iHeart says:

Well I didn’t expect him to, to be honest.

4. Haz says:

Whatever the next chapter is I wish he would leave Paulson out or as a guest. She is an amazing actress however her popping up in every anthology is getting a little old. Also AHS starts off decent usually and kind of goes downhill as the season progresses. I still have not finished Freakshow or Hotel and barely made it through season six if I wasn’t a horror buff plus plain curiosity I would have dropped the show after Coven. Honestly Paulson deserves better material than she was given for Roanoke. Murphys shows are good when he puts 100% into them when he isn’t as hands on it really shows.

5. dave says:

You wouldn’t need Trump in the fictional world because the American Horror Story featuring Trump is happening in the real world. You would be accused of plagiarism!

6. Guest says:

Still won’t be watching. MAGA!!!!!

7. Good Lord please get back to your original make my mind tingle and waiting holding my breath for the next scene. I fell in love in season one two and three, then I thought I was going to have a breakdown in season four then season five gave me hope again but season six just almost got me divorced. I am hoping Daddy makes the family whole again. I am not going anywhere.

• Lynne says:

You want to implicate Trump? You have lost a viewer…one viewer which represents many viewers that won’t speak out. Will catch one show, maybe two, but at the first hint of politics…I’m outa here!