Black Lightning Cast Cress Williams

Black Lightning: Cress Williams to Star in The CW's Latest DC Comics Pilot

A CW vet is coming home to serve up some electric justice.

Cress Williams, who starred in Hart of Dixie from 2011 to 2015, has landed the title role in the network’s newest DC Comics pilot Black Lightning, our sister site Deadline reports.

Williams’ character, a retired superhero named Jefferson Pierce, finds himself back in vigilante mode thanks to his justice-seeking daughter and the threat of a “star student being recruited by a local gang.”

In addition to his work on Dixie, Williams’ small-screen credits include roles on Beverly Hills, 90210, ER, Veronica Mars, Grey’s Anatomy and Prison Break.

Writers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil (Being Mary Jane) will executive-produce the pilot alongside Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash) and Sarah Schechter.

Your thoughts on Cress nabbing this huge role? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. ggny says:

holy great casting batman!

2. Jason says:

Pretty good, Only thing I’ve worried about this show is if its looks too much like the other CW superhero shows. I want something with a different flavor not only in casting but style

3. Bill says:

At least the concept is a bit different than the other super hero shows in that he’s retired already.

4. Mandy says:

I was already excited but this is fantastic casting. I love him :)

5. A says:

I’m okay with this casting as long as he stops hunching his shoulders. As a tall person, I know it’s something we involuntarily do, but it just looks bad on screen and its unprofessional (IMO).

6. Jared says:

Perfect casting! Now I’m really interested in watching this if it goes to series. Loved Cress on Hart of Dixie.

7. Nicole Walker says:

I’m already envisioning a good natured Jefferson vs Barry throwing lightning battle (if they’re in the same universe).

8. Andy says:

Any possibility of Black Lightning getting the backdoor pilot treatment, a la The Flash and Legends? I really wanna see the character in action whether The CW orders it to series or not.

9. gemini says:

i like him but I think at 46 he is to old maybe if he was early 40s late thirties but I will still watch

10. JJ says:

AWESOME news. He is/will be great.

11. kate says:

I hope he is more like his Hart of Dixie character because, for several reasons, his whole thing on Prison Break bugged me to no end. Like, do an iota of research before questioning the guy you know that the brothers only knew through Sarah, and maybe, don’t ask about the brothers, ask about Sarah. I mean, he only briefly ever met Lincoln and maybe met Michael once or twice more, but presumably Sarah spoke about him more. Or that Alex is the closest one of the crew to being unhinged but who also possesses the scariest set of skills of the whole crew and don’t kill his little kid, the one thing that connected him to humanity as opposed to basically being a serial killer. If you had just simply kidnapped the kid, you would have reduced Alex to, well, he’d have the same weaknesses you could attack Michael with and he never trusted he was as smart as Michael, so you could trick him.

12. Tyler Henry says:

this is a horrible casting, bad show, tired od superheroes, i wanna see more drama like Gossip Girl, 90210, The Vampire Diaries

13. Erika says:

I love him anyway, so I admit to some bias, but this is FANTASTIC casting. I can’t wait!

14. safistikaytdlayd says:

Cress Williams is a great actor! He was also in Living Single as Scooter(I love his character) and I remember him in an episode of Law and Order SVU. I’m excited!

15. RichieS says:

Him and Michael B. Jordan really killed it as athlete son and pushy dad on Friday Night Lights.

16. Ram510 says:

No thanks

17. Luis Roman says:

Awesome!

18. Joey Padron says:

Good casting to play the title character on the show. Cress is a good actor, love him on Hart of Dixie.

19. ssnake42069 says:

bummer part is that it isnt going to be a part of berlantiverse. at least thats what i heard.

20. sladewilson says:

Great casting!!! Hopefully it will be part of the DC Berlantiverse!!!

21. Lysh says:

I’m excited about a PoC hero/title character show. I like the idea of someone older as a hero, too. I’m feeling burnt out from all these DC shows though.

22. Cordell says:

Just bummed this won’t be part of the Arrow verse would be cool to see him teaming up with the others

23. mooshki says:

Yay! He is so talented, and dreamy too!

24. ALM says:

Sounds good to me. I say have a VERY short (the shorter the better) last season of that once-good-show-that-is-now-a-travesty Arrow and replace it with this. And it will be weirder to not have it part of the shared DC universe, since Black Lightning has been part of the Justice League before, than to have it fit it.

25. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

So they cast someone pretty and young looking for the role of someone retired?. Don’t know much about him as an actor but it seems like his casting seems to follow the typical casting of a CW show.

26. Diana Green says:

Cress is your man, your HERO!
    Great actor and great person. Knew him from Fullerton college theatre department!!