Throwback Thursday
The OC Series Finale

The O.C.'s Autumn Reeser Reflects on Taylor and Ryan's Ambiguous Ending

This week marked the tenth anniversary of The O.C.‘s series finale — and a decade later, we’re still wondering what that look between Ryan and Taylor at Seth and Summer’s wedding meant.

Over the course of the 2007 finale, the unlikely lovebirds went from being broken up to hooking up, but never truly defined their relationship status as they parted ways (he for Berkeley, she for Paris). Years later, they were brought back together during Seth and Summer’s nuptials, where they exchanged some meaningful — or was it flirty? — eye contact, as seen in the flash-forward montage below.

The O.C. Series FinaleSo did that glance signal a romantic reunion? Was it meant to say, “Meet me in the bathroom in 10, so I can climb you like a jungle gym?” Or had Ryan and Taylor always been together? Sadly, we may never know.

For her part, star Autumn Reeser — who next appears in the E! drama The Arrangement — thinks leaving the relationship on an ambiguous note was “the right ending,” she tells TVLine. “I liked that it was left with mystery. They’re really different people, and that’s part of why they fell in love with each other. But that’s something that can be complicated in long-term relationships, how you deal with those differences. I like not knowing what happened between the two of them. Then everybody can write their own ending to the story.”

Press PLAY below to relive The O.C.‘s final moments, then hit the comments with your ending to Taylor and Ryan’s story.

1. realchemistry says:

I loved them, they saved The O.C. as far as I’m concerned, so I thought then and will always think of that look as good things to come for them as a couple.

2. Sasha says:

I thought it was for the best. Especially for Marissa and Ryan fans.

• Pamela says:

Exactly what I was thinking. RIP Marissa.

• Wordsmith says:

I agree. Ryan and Taylor’s relationship was my favorite part of the final season, but it was a relatively new thing that would have felt out of place if they had suddenly made it officially endgame.
      Having them end up together would be kind of like ending the Vampire Diaries with Stefan marrying Caroline. Oh wait…

3. Matt C. says:

I love that their relationship status was left up in the air. It’ll provide a great jumping off point for a future revival of the series…wink, wink!

But seriously, I miss these characters and their quirky little world so much. I rewatch the whole show every summer, and it never fails to entertain me, even after all these years.

4. Ohh, watching the ending montage made me cry!! I haven’t watched that since it ended, and this just reminded me how much I loved the show. It was one of the first shows I watched religiously after becoming an adult, and it truly set my love of TV.

5. Phil says:

HOW has it been 10 years?!? My goodness.

The first season of The OC is still one of the best seasons of television, EVER. But Taylor Townsend forever!

6. kn1231 says:

I personally wish they would have ended up together officially, with no questions asked. I could not stand Marissa, and just want to see Ryan move on. I loved season four for this reason! This reminder put me in full re-watch mode!

7. tjchurch2001 says:

The final season is the one I can never seem to find on DVD locally, & I didn’t recall that ending at all when I read this article… May be why when you mention her going to Paris, I immediately think of “Season For/Of Peaches”, or whatever that book was called, & that whole thing. (Why has nobody ever truly written it? I know “Shawn” had a book out after “Psych” ended, & there were a few books for “Saved By The Bell” & “Veronica Mars”, etc.)

Regardless, looking back at a show like this THIS far “post-mortem”, my eyes almost widen in surprise at the fact that Brody’s son isn’t named Josh, since Schwartz made the names/careers of both he & his wife. (How long until a celebration for him shows them together on-camera, as they did for Burrows & NBC’s recent anniversary?!)

• RichieS says:

Would love to see Brody play a villian on Gotham That show could use some of his whimsical style.

• tjchurch2001 says:

HIGH on the disagreement scale…

Not only are Cameron & Robin doing fine, but it helps with such origin stories (even with comic sources) when you don’t recognize the look, sound, &/or other traits of the portrayer.