Exclusive
days of our lives cancellation rumors

Days of Our Lives Renewed at NBC

NBC is flipping the hourglass for a 52nd time.

Despite rumors that Days of Our Lives was nearing extinction, NBC has renewed the venerable soap opera for a record 52nd season, TVLine has learned exclusively. The pickup comes a month after the sudser fired co-head writer Dena Higley and replaced her with General Hospital vet Ron Carlivati. Days‘ other co-head writer, Ryan Quan, is sticking around as a creative consultant.

“We feel so privileged to be able to continue the remarkable legacy of Days of our Lives,” said Jennifer Salke, President of NBC Entertainment, in a statement.” “We thank [exec producer] Ken Corday and his team for their incredible accomplishments and look forward to all the stories from Salem that will continue to unfold.”

Added Corday: “It’s a great day in Salem… We are grateful to our incredible network and longstanding partner Sony for their continued support, and we look forward to what the future will bring under the new creative direction of the show. I’m especially proud to be able to shepherd Days into the new season, continuing my parents dream and the show’s legacy.”

Cancellation buzz enveloped Days last month after the network signed Fox News alum Megyn Kelly and offered her a daytime news program. But NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt assured TVLine at the time that one thing has nothing to do with the other. “Everybody assumed that she would kill that show,” he said. “And that’s a bad assumption.”

OK, Days fans, commence your celebration in the comments section.

1. Susannah says:

Great news! I was a bit worried with all the talk about Meghan Kelly’s show, so I’m really glad to know Days is going to be around for another year.

2. msstargate says:

Fantastic news! Days still has many stories to tell.

3. Sandra Snyder says:

Woohoo, Yeah best news of the day that “Days of our Lives” was renewed..NBC Executives are smart to keep our beloved soap on the air …Thanks NBC

4. ceecee says:

Sadly, I stopped watching Days since they don’t put it On-Demand on Comcast. I don’t have a DVR and the NBC app is annoying!

5. Linn says:

Exciting! Glad to have it official! Excited to see what the trio of Ron, Sheri and Ryan have in store for us. Ron and Sheri are my actual dream team for this show, I assume it would come with renewal, and I’m so happy to have that confirmed!

6. Honor says:

I’m always love that you give attention to soaps!
    I don’t care much about DOOL I hope this is a good sign for the other few remaining soaps!

They mean too much to people to just get rid of :)

7. dee says:

yeah, such good news

8. Wrstlgirl says:

Really happy it was renewed but if I’m honest it wouldn’t have bothered me if it wasn’t. Days has been limping along for awhile now but I have high hopes that Ron Carlivati can finally turn things around. There are many good stories there, we just need the talent to bring them to life.

9. TV Gord says:

Does anyone have a hunch when Ron’s shows start? I’ve tried Days in the past but could never get into it. If anyone can draw me in, it’s Carlivati! He was great on OLTL and better than he was given credit for on GH. …in my humble opinion, of course. ;-)

10. Stayla Fan says:

Great news! Now with Dena Higley gone hopefully stories will improve greatly! Fingers crossed.
    Very happy. More Steve and Kayla. Yes!

11. Sue Flynn says:

This is such happy news. I have worried so!

12. tiffany foster says:

Y’all need to give knuckle her baby back

13. Karen Clark says:

Finally, some very good news . I have watched Days since Episode 1 first scene Horton’s front porch. I am 68 years old now.

14. Alaska viewer says:

Bring back Belle!! Martha Madison is the best actress on Days!! She’s magnetic, and pulls me back into the show every time she pops into town. Move her home to Salem as the city’s star D.A. Her charisma will not only bring fireworks to the courtroom, but surely to your ratings as well. She’s beautiful, down to earth, natural and so easy to connect with as a viewer. She’s your slam dunk!!!

15. Barb says:

While I no longer watch soaps (mostly thanks to ABC canning OLTL and AMC years ago), happy for the Days fans. It’s still a sorry state to see only four shows on air compared to back in the 80s.

16. Kathryn Haleamau says:

I am over-the-moon happy. I have been watching Days of Our Lives since I was 10 years old. I am now 63. Mahalo, Mahalo, Mahalo.

17. paul says:

Good now please get Ali and James back or Days will in the same situation this time next year. They are the actors fans want back the most according to Sony.

18. emmyloser says:

HOORAY! I don’t know what I’d do without my pals in Salem. Looking forward to all the excitement ahead!

19. Phil says:

Great news and I cannot wait to see what the talented Ron brings to Salem… please consider bringing Belle and Shawn Douglas back permanently, recasting Cierra, and another Kristen visit would be great!!! Kassie DePaiva would be my first request though… love her as Eve!

20. Patti Wise says:

Smart move

21. Patti Wise says:

Smart move !! It is a quality show, I am 58 and have been watching for about 45 years. A cancellation would have broken my heart.

22. Sandra P. Hess says:

So happy “Days” has been renewed! I’ve watched since the first year. They are like my family and I eat lunch while watching every day.

23. Kevin says:

This makes me very happy. Now that they can put the whole Megyn Kelly thing behind us.

24. Michael V says:

I’m glad and looking forward to Rons Days. Let’s hope NBC throws a little bit more $$ do they can increase production values

• Wrstlgirl says:

I cracked up when they used that same old alley from Salem for their scenes in Prague. At least move the boxes around so it’s not so obvious, lol!!

• Chloe says:

And the Martin house as the hotel lobby, and outside Club TBD as the outdoor cafe. But as long as they stay on the air, I’m good with it. LOL

Congrats, Days!!!!

25. Larry Fox says:

It’s nice to know that a staple of NBC for so many years will continue on, everyday I tape it and watch it when I come home from work and it never gets old or tired< so cheers to Days and Like the Sands in the Hourglass, so are The Days of Our Lives!

26. Pat says:

Let me preface this by saying that it’s not my intent at all to rain on Days’ parade. But being a realistic observer, I believe this is nothing more than a brief stay of execution, and then we’ll be right back to this exact same drama in less than a year. This is undoubtedly sink or swim time for Days, and will be its absolute FINAL chance to survive. The ratings are still very poor from the raw ratings data that we see each week. Quite frankly, based on these numbers you’d have to be very naive to think that NBC executives are 100% (or even 75%) happy with the show’s performance. Obviously, they were somehow able to agree with Sony on a significantly lower licensing fee that makes financial sense for both sides. I truly wonder how much lower they had to go in an effort to offset such poor ratings and surely diminished ad revenue.

I believe that this decision has everything to do with the ridiculously long 5-6 month period of time ahead that the show tapes. Reportedly, episodes to air in early July have already been taped. Even though the show’s contract was due to expire this September, TPTB at NBC and Sony almost certainly realized that that would not be an adequate period of time to wrap up the show. Ron Carlivati has a ton of work to do in such a short period of time to repair all the damage that has been done by the previous inept regime. And based on his arrogant attitude toward fans (peons) who have the audacity to call him out on Twitter and how he ruined GH with his far-out brand of writing before he was booted out of there not even 2 years ago, I’m honestly not optimistic at all. Sorry.

How many reboots, restarts, and staff changes has Days endured in the last 5 years? Can’t these soaps for once hire some new blood instead of hiring the same old hacks who fail at another show and are clearly out of touch with modern times? I don’t trust Ken Corday, who has shown over and over again that he doesn’t care one iota about what fans want to see.

• Nick says:

Agreed, this is just postponing the inevitable. Days is already a complete dumpster fire on top of a sinking ship. And they just hired Re-Ron Cartooni to parachute in after he ruined GH? It’s “Days” are still numbered.

27. Ginny Bower says:

I can’t be happier. I started watching this show with my grandmother over e0 yes ago. Know my Daughter watches it with me and so does my husband and my son even asks questions about it .Thanks for Saving a great show that’s brings so many people a lot of happiness. Also can take them Away from all there problem for awhile.

28. Debbie says:

It is great to hear the show goes on. Thank you for not taking away our entertainment.

29. Oveta Fleenor says:

So happy DOOL renewed. I don’t like the new Abby.

30. Brenda says:

Glad to hear. I look forward to good stories again.

31. gerri plumeri says:

OMG I’m so happy that Days was renewed. I was so scared that it was going to be cancelled. You did the best thing by firing your head writer. The stories have been sooooooo boring. And were is JOHN? Please bring him back…….Marlena looks so lost. And we hardly see Victor. I want to see Victor take back the family and get rid of Demos for good. I know Demos is a good actor, but the stuff written for him is horrible. I can’t wait to see him go. Nicole has to be really desperate to be with him. Especially after Daniel Jonas. I totally HATE the story of Nicole loosing Holly. It really SUCKS. I was actually screaming at the TV. I mean why did Chloe tell Nicole in the first place that the baby was hers if she was going to keep it? I don’t like Dina’s writing. Glad you replaced her.
    Again………..congratulations that Days was renewed.

• bobbi6484 says:

Drake Hogestyn was injured in a fall from a tree on his property and was in pretty bad shape for a while, so he missed taping. I’m not sure how long he was out, but he is now back at work, so he’ll show up eventually!

• mooshki says:

It wasn’t a fall from a tree – he was injured on set at Days. I bet that was a big workman’s comp payout! He’s due back any time now.

32. Yay!! Been watching all of my life. Wouldn’t be the same without it. Thank you NBC n Days writers/actors for allowing the continuation!!!!

33. Maggie says:

Thank you NBC! I have been watching DOOL most of the days of my life and I always look forward to the next episode. Hope to see it keep renewing.

34. Shirley Earlywine Willoughby says:

Awesome! I just quit work because of health reasons and just getting back into Days. Thank you NBC

35. Susan K Gentile says:

YES! This is good news. Thank you, thank you.

36. bobbi6484 says:

This is wonderful news! Days certainly still has challenges ahead but I’m really happy they’re getting another chance. Now, if we can stop it from being preempted for every foreign head of state that shows up in DC and every press conference people decide on earlier in the day, we’ll be all set! lol Have been watching this show since the beginning and it is the last one I watch. Glad I won’t be losing it this year!

37. Kathy Sheffer says:

Great news…..can’t give up this show. Too much a part of my history…..I am 61 and have watched it probably since the beginning with my mother back then. She has been gone a long time and watching the show gives me a great feeling and great memories of us together watching.

38. Lori says:

Great news! I have watched off and on since middle school.

39. JANET Meyer says:

I have watched days for 40 years and enjoyed it until they let Chloe have they baby can they please get Nicole back she’s such a good actress

40. Ammy Valles says:

I am so very happy that Days of Our Lives is staying!!! I have watched the show since I was a child with my babysitter (which is since the show started). I AM a die hard FAN and hope it outlives me!

41. mike says:

now Ron has to make it watchable again, bringing back Will Horton would be a plus too.

42. nedsdag says:

Although I am happy that DOOL has been renewed, I totally agree that this is only a state of execution. By reading some of the comments in here and knowing two fans personally in their seventies, soaps such as DOOL have an older demographic which makes it difficult for soap operas to find advertisers. I want to be proven wrong, but the writing is on the wall. It would not surprise me if by the year 2030, there will be no more daytime dramas on network television.

43. tazzy says:

Great news! Very happy to hear it!

44. annamaria says:

MY NAME IS ANNAMARIA, THANK-YOU FOR KEEPING DAY’S ALIVE. IT’S MY FAVERED LOVE STORY.ONE THING THE MUSIC IT IS TO LAUDO YOUR HERE THE MUSIC BEFORE PEPOLE TALK. THANK–YOU THANK-YOU

45. Chris says:

SO HAPPY!!! Thank you NBC!! Now if we can just get Donald to hold his news conferences earlier!!

46. Brock Hard says:

The good news: you’re renewed :-) The bad news: Ron Carlivati is your head writer :-(

47. mooshki says:

I’m so relieved! Soaps help distract me from reality, and that’s needed more than ever these days! (No pun intended.) I know many people think soaps are dumb, but they aren’t any stupider than people on reality TV, or, say, certain presidents.

48. Peter Allan Ker says:

I hate to say this but the show doesn’t deserve a renewal. I think they are renewing the show out of pity and have nothing else to replace it with. They want to give Ron Carlivati a chance but he had a good record on One Life to Live but he had a horrible record on General Hospital. This may be the last season if the show doesn’t improve and I’m not so optimistic of its future.

• I watched OLTL before it became defaunt and currently watch GH and both shows were well scripted. Now if you are going to complain, tell us why Y&R still carries the no.1 rating because personally, I pick DAY’S or GH. Day’s is about every actor displaying their skilled in their chosen profession and not about one name holding that show. Day’s have revitalize their audience by bringing families back together and less about being a one man show. I am happy that the Phoenix may rise up again but, not in my lifetime. So maybe, Y&R will get a hint and retire the VICTOR NEWMAN SHOW!

49. Donna says: