Agents of SHIELD Recap Jemma Dies

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Wraps LMD Arc With Its Very Best Episode in a While

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. powered down its seven-episode LMD “pod” on Tuesday night with a white-knuckle hour that was equal parts zombie movie, paranoia thriller, action-drama and just plain ol’ bananas, written and directed by co-showrunner Jed Whedon.

For starters, as some speculated (and then perhaps surmised, after seeing TVLine’s sneak peek), Fitz and Simmons had not both eluded being swapped out with an LMD. Rather, the four that had been detected included Fitz. Jemma came to realize this after the two of them slipped away from Creepy Coulson & Co. to do some work, only to wind up in a duel of sorts, with Fitz staring down the barrel of Simmons’ gun. Was Jemma in fact confronting a fake? Or had she been swapped out, and was looking to “assimilate” her love?

That face-off led to the hour’s first OMG moment, as Fitz “proved” that he was the real deal by slicing his wrist — only to put the brakes on his cries of anguish to coolly flip the blade in the air, grab it, and then plunge it into Jemma’s leg. (FitzSimmon fans, I hope you had handy all of the wine as this played out. Especially when the topic of marriage came up for the first time, under perhaps the worst possible circumstances.)

But if Fitz is an LMD, who among the four seemingly flagged by the scanner wasn’t? Turns out that Daisy came back scot-free, and was the other agent targeted to be “turned.” But as Daisy went about prepping for the intake of Inhumans, she stumbled upon a containment pod filled to the gills with LMDs of herself — a “Daisy fleet” as Coulson would later dub them. With LMD Mack on her tail, Daisy hid successfully among her doppelgangers, eventually getting the drop on him with her quake powers.

shield-daisy-lmdsDaisy then ran into Jemma, setting the stage for another nerve-wracking round of, “I’m not an LMD — are you?” But Daisy put that mystery to rest by forcing Jemma into a hug accompanied by a gentle quake — thus proving that she is a legit Inhuman, and Simmons has bona fide bones inside her. Jemma then fretted about their chances of eluding a base full of agents led to believe that they are the enemy, and then somehow finding and hacking into the Framework to save their friends. But Daisy assured Jemma that FitzSimmons is end game, and as such, “This is not how your story ends.”

In a brilliant move, Daisy doused the base with a gas that briefly KO’d all the humans, leaving just LMDs standing. While Jemma went around reviving the human agents (and trying to convince them of the true situation), Daisy got into an epic tussle with LMD Mace, one that took two days to film (per IGN). After besting the Director with a sick move — briefly levitating his body, then slamming it down while she impaled his dorsal circuity — Daisy was surrounded by Mack and Coulson. But she had another neat trick up her sleeves, whipping up a quakeball which she used to blast them away, utterly shattering LMD Mack’s face. LMD Coulson, though, survived his trip through a plate glass window.

Daisy and Jemma would face one final hurdle on their way off the base — LMD May guarding the exit to the Zephyr, and ready to blow the place sky high. Luckily, the ladies were apparently able to appeal to LMD May’s shred of human sensibility, which LMD Coulson realized when she summoned him, and then hit the trigger on the explosives, while Daisy, Jemma and some agents jetted away.

Now safe, Jemma and Daisy proceeded with their bold, risky plan to hack themselves into the Framework, inhabit their avatar selves and hopefully “wake” Coulson and the others, before their bodies shut down. As Yo-Yo flipped the switch, Daisy awoke in a bathtub, in the apartment she shares with boyfriend Grant Ward (!), while Jemma… is six feet under in the Framework?!

As for the others, Coulson is teaching (anti-Inhuman rhetoric?), Mack has reunited with his daughter, Fitz is a rich tech titan (but what lovely lady is he helping out of the limo?), and May is happily working… in the intact Hydra Triskelion?!

As for Aida amid all of this insanity: She solved her problem of “conflicting protocols” by forcing Radcliffe into the “Everything Is Awesome” Framework, before he might ever have regrets about their work. She then outfitted Anton Ivanov with a new, mechanical body that is controlled remotely by his severed head/mind, so that she can have a man on the ground — presumably to chase after S.H.I.E.L.D. in the season’s third and final arc.

What did you think of the episode “Self Control”?

1. Tom says:

F for the possible return of that filthy hydra scum and the mere notion of Skye being with him. The moment when he and Lincoln got nuked was one of my favorites of the series, including any featuring Lady Sif.

• laurelnev says:

Okay…if you’ve seen any of my comments the last few weeks, or even argued with me, my stance has been the Maybot/Coulson thing was thrown in to illustrate how the AI misinterprets human feelings. I think this week just reinforced that Aida totally doesn’t get the nuances of human love. Thus, when Aida made Skye’s world, she misinterpreted Skye’s memories, latching on to that brief period when SkyeWard might have become a thing. The fact Daisy IMMEDIATELY hoped for Lincoln instead again just reinforces the AI gets it wrong. (And it’s a way to bring back a beloved actor for a few eps…I hope they can throw Bobbie and Hunter into the mix too!)

• Molly says:

I agree Laurel. Aida made the framework and added the Shield folk without Radcliffe. She’s shown confusion over human emotion and the “flaws” of their thinking.

• laurelnev says:

Molly–do you think Mr Big Fitz is “with” Aida in the framework? Somehow, I got the feeling that Aida’s trying to apply her misinformation, and has decided she’d rather have Fitz than Radcliffe as a life partner…

• laurelnev says:

Whoops…just saw your comment below. I agree, obvs. :D

• Molly says:

I do…that was my comment a bit further down about a half ago. I don’t think Aida has feelings, per se, she said that a few times. But I do think she has a connection to Fitz in some weird AI-LMD way. As we saw the hand reach out if the car and the headstone for Jemma, I saidto my son…Mark my words, Aida put herself with Fitz. Maybe she’s confused his scientist interest in her with attraction? Maybe she thinks his regret is she’s not real?

• laurelnev says:

I like the way you put that. Now, Aida is some weird combo of Radcliffe AI, Fitz AI and Darkhold. Radcliffe specifically programmed limited “feelings.” We need a new word to describe Aida’s stuff. :)

• Molly says:

Ha! I have to type faster.

• Tom says:

Don’t want him back. Bobbie and Hunter sure, that would be great, him, no.

• edyn says:

I love Ward and those episodes are the best. He made things interesting being a double agent and going rogue. I thought the reason why he was there was because Skye wanted him in her world. Skye was not with Aida when her and Gemma hooked up to the system, but maybe the system knows what scenario she wants. Aida did make modifications to it and did not make Skye’s world herself.

2. Mary says:

This was definitely the best episode of this season.

3. laurelnev says:

OMG! How great was that ep? Okay Daisy, your Skye-like self hath redeemed thyself. And how great is it that the WOMEN are the ones to save the day–Maybot included. And YoYo!

But what does it mean that Jemma is dead in The Matrix…whoops, I mean framework. And that it’s SkyeWard rather than Lincaisy? Is this a sign of how the AI misinterprets “human feelings?” (Thank you Maybot for realizing it was Philbot, rather than Phil, because “it was never that way with us.”

And how scary is it that Aida has gone rogue, and the good Doc is no more? It really WILL be up to Fitz to save the day, seeing how Aida is his “fault, afterall, because she wouldn’t be perfected otherwise.” The question is if the reprogramming/salvation will happen inside or outside the framework. And I really DO hope all are rescued before their bodies “give out.”

Can’t believe we have to wait MONTHS for more! This season has really been excellent, and I for one, will be waiting on the edge of my seat for the back half of the season. As fans, we need to encourage Marvel fans to get streaming, so those numbers will push SHIELD to the right side of the bubble.

I DO hope the hiatus-filler will be something as good as Carter, and something that holds my interest unyil we get more SHIELD! A+ season!

(And no TOTALLY understand that tweet about the screener, Matt!)

4. Molly says:

O.m.wow!!! I think Fitz is with Aida in the framework.

5. Staci says:

Oh my god, this episode was amazing. I have so many emotions, but not sure how to express them. Also, Elizabeth and Iain are incredible actors

6. James D says:

that episode was amazeballs. While I can’t deny their have been some flaws this season I’ve actually thoroughly enjoyed most the episodes this year, but that was by far the best one. can’t wait to see how Daisy and Gemma destroy the matrix. ABC better renew this show.

7. Erin says:

Nice review, Matt! I agree, it’s was a great episode. But, you put Daisy’s name in the second paragraph instead of Jemma’s. We didn’t find out about Daisy until later in the episode.

8. mooshki says:

Brilliant episode!

9. Linds says:

So good. Reminds me of Fringe and how much they can do with alternate versions of our world. Interesting to see how it plays out.

10. hipper says:

That was INSANE. I was not expecting a tremendous effect this episode at all, but wow. Blown away.

11. Carlos Lee says:

Best episode of the year. I knew Daisy was going to wake up with Ward not Lincoln. Where will Jena be in this world?

12. Katherine215 says:

That was a really excellent episode. Best all season, and probably one of their top 5. Love that it was the ladies saving the day!

13. Al says:

May pbe it wasn’t Lincoln and instead Ward more because of real life circumstances? Luke Mitchell is busy as a series regular on NBC’s BLINDSPOT right now.

But I do like other people’s suggestions that Aida misinterprets human emotions send this could be one of the byproducts of that.

So the next arc is AGENTS OF HYDRA?!?!

• ndixit says:

I think its probably a bit of both. Like it or not, Ward is a significantly more popular character. Lincoln was one of this show’s big flops and I think Luke is doing much better on Blindspot than he ever did on AoS. So I think the writers would have naturally gravitated towards Ward over Lincoln because its certainly going to cause a lot more noise which is what they need.

14. Stacey says:

I definitely think Fitz is with Aida in the framework. As soon as I heard there was a surprising return, I knew they were going to show Ward again. I hate that we have to wait until April to see more. Great episode!!

15. Bean says:

First of all, very much enjoyed the episode. Can’t wait for April To see what they do with it.

Concerning where Daisy and Jemma “wake up” into the framework… does anyone feel that Jemma is actually back on the alien planet with Will? I mean, she loved him, too. And the Framework was made with the Darkhold. That grave could be everyone else moving on from her “death” and her being with Will again. That or we’ll get to see one heck of a nod to the “Kill Bill” films the next episode! And with Daisy, can’t say it was a shock to see Ward. She probably regrets the feelings she had before she learned he was HYDRA. Anyway, looking forward to it!

16. Hollie says:

I don’t think there’s ever been a better time to give out another POTW nod to an entire cast (as you did with the Good Wife awhile back). That was legitimately one of the best, if not the best, SHIELD episodes, period.

The only question I’m left with (okay, that’s a lie, the most prominent question I’m left with) is whether they just went and killed Simmons? She had just said if you’re dead in the framework you’re dead in reality but she’s dead in the framework soooo? Did they just nonchalantly off Simmons? Also I’d just like to point out that the apparent date on her tombstone is partially covered but seems to be November 5th, 2013, which means she died of the Chitauri virus from FZZT, right?

• Bill Bohnert says:

Actually, the date on her stone is Nov. 8, 20??. If the year on her stone turns out to be 2013, then that is the theatrical release date of Thor the Dark World and it would be safe to assume she died during Malekith’s attack on London.

17. Mr. C says:

Simmons grave marker is the way out.

18. Lisa says:

Well, now, after reading so many comments about it, I need to see Fitz and AIDA together. Just need it.

19. Vicki says:

Plus Aida has killed Radcliff .Looks like she is running everything. I hope Daisy and Jemma can defeat her.

20. Vicki says:

I agree Laurel Aida has flaws in her program . Those flaws will bring her down.

21. Callie says:

Definitely the best episode of the season and on top of the list of the best episodes of the entire show.

Still am not quite sure what AIDA really wants actually and how the framework works, lol, but guess they’ll explain it when the show is back.

Really wish that they didn’t bring Brett Dalton back. I do think that this is gonna be their last season so I guess they wanted to say goodbye to him. (Again.)

22. Flick says:

This was by far one of my favourite episodes ever. Jam packed, on the edge of your seat action. I demand Simmons comes back out alive because FitzSimmons IS endgame.

23. Ian Fleming says:

“Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Wraps LMD Arc With Its Very Best Episode in a While” I would hardly call seven days “a while”.

24. Mike says:

How is the end of the arc if they’re stuck in the virtual world?

25. Kim R says:

The scene with Daisy and Emma trying to figure out if either of them were LMD’s was really amazing. Elizabeth Henstridge has my vote for performer of the week. I believed her. Totally. :)

• safistikaytdlayd says:

She really did a GREAT JOB!!! Totally agree with you!! I really sensed her fear when she realized Fitz wasn’t real and her screaming at Daisy not to touch her!!! I vote performer of the week too!!!

26. safistikaytdlayd says:

WOW WOW AND WOW AGAIN!!! Great episode, the BEST of the season and one of the BEST of the whole series!!! Everyone said the writers were gonna knock our socks off and I’m still trying to find mine! LOL. The ladies did their thing!!! Simmons, Daisy Yoyo even Maybot!!! I have a few questions but one of my most pressing is what is up with the Russian and his head? Is he controlling the Framework or is Aida? Did anyone catch that little glimpse at the end of the previews that said Agents of Hydra??? If Aida is controlling the Framework, I think Simmons is “dead” because Aida wants Fitz for herself(just a thought). Loved the fight scene with Daisy and Mace, the room full of “Daisys”(what the what???) and Maybot finally discerning “Phil” was not really Phil!! From beginning to end great episode!!! April can’t get here soon enough!

27. Joey Padron says:

The episode was really good. Everyone did great in the episode. Gonna miss LMD May. LMD arc was really good. Surprised about the ending! Hope Simmons doesn’t stay dead in the framework world. Surprised Coulson is a teacher, Fitz is rich, and May works for Hydra! Can’t wait to see what happens in the framework world when the show returns in April!

28. Revan Twofivesevenfour says:

My money is on Aida being the woman in Fitz’s limo.

29. Dominique says:

wow agents of shield is on FIRE this season! even filler episodes are great, and significant episodes like these are just outstanding!
    i’m so curious about what everyone and everything’s like in the framework.
    and ward!! so happy about this! i wonder if the new LMD body being constructed was actually somehow his, and not ivanov…

30. One of the best episodes of the season – tension, action, consequences and a new/old foe. The Robot Mae story line came full circle and her earlier confusion played nicely into this conflict. I was on the edge of my seat… back to Hydra we go!

31. Deion says:

I knew before Daisy got out of the tub that it was Ward. In what world is he not her biggest regret since coming to S.H.I.E.L.D.?

32. Luis Roman says:

Has Brett Dalton been under contract with AoS this whole time, ala Katie Cassidy?

33. Nick says:

Best episode in a while? Nothing really happened. They got out of the robot death trap and went into the Matrix. Not terribly exciting in my opinion. Gave it a C. And yay (sarcasm) they found another way to bring back Douche Ward…

34. Liloo says:

I don’t understand : 4 LMD were detected but only 3 of it were really LMD. How is it possible ? Fitz ? Besdes, great episode. Hope they won’t stop AOS.

35. Carlie says:

This felt a lot like Alias’ season 2 finale where the hots just keep on coming!

Glad they’re finally using Simmons in the main storylines, and Fitz…they have been in the background way to much this season. All the best eps involve them being at the forefront

36. Cynthia says:

This episode was excellent! I HAD to watch bc I had no idea what was coming next! It felt like a short movie!!!
    Welcome back Brett Dalton ❤

37. Kobe says:

I think Hydra will probably be kind of like SHIELD and actually be the good guys in this “world.” Just a theory but it would make sense because I doubt May would just be a completely different person. But I guess it will probably have something to do with the one regret they could take back so I’m probably wrong lol. It was a great episode and definitely one of the best of the series. I’ll be sad to see it (probably) go.

38. Chris says:

First off, I really enjoyed the episode as it was chalk-full of suspense. Well written and well directed.

Matt, I’m curious if there’s any inside scoop on the Hydra reveal in AOS as it relates to the current plot going on in the comics with Captain America and the recent Civil War II series. The latest issues have really been leading up to Cap’s reveal as a Hydra agent and it seems just a little to coincidental AOS has the infamous logo show up.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Your hope for significant preview on a Marvel series is wonderfully optimistic. Almost everything I got is keystroked above.

• Chris says:

Yes Matt, I’m wonderfully optimistic, almost to a fault. It might be a great question to pose the powers that be the next time you get a chance to talk with them. There seems to be a great opportunity here to really integrate more of the MCU and comic book story lines now that we have a plot line that opens up “dimensions” of reality. So much creative freedom to integrate!

39. Amy says:

So. Freaking. Good!!! yes some of the plot contrivances were a bit weak, but the emotion with Gemma and LMayD and Daisy was just brutal. So excited for the next pod in alt-world now.

40. racikpc says:

Awesome episode. But starts wondering what the connection of LMD and Fury, because the one made several lmd is him. And jemma did say if you die in the framework then you die in real world T_T maybe aida want to feel in love with her co-maker, fitz, so she dump jemma out

41. edyn says:

I am wondering if they are all in the same world, just different areas and situations or are they in their own reality where they have no idea about the others because it is individual? When they only had May, they changed the events of Bahrain, but now they have all the agents, so are they all together except may? May was in a loop, but now the program is modified to get it perfect, so they do not think twice about their world.

42. DRush76 says:

I thought it was the best episode of the SEASON, but NOT THE BEST of the series.

The paranoid style of the episode reminded me of Season One’s “Turn, Turn, Turn” and Season Three’s “The Team”, which did not make this episode particularly original. And the fight between Skye and the Mace LMD was ridiculous, because Skye was simply wasting her time fighting against a robot. How dumb was that? That is one of the reasons why I do not regard this episode as the best of the series. As for the conversation between the Melinda & Coulson LMDs seemed like a rip off of “Westworld”.