Post Mortems
Timeless Recap

Timeless EPs Talk Rittenhouse Twist, [Spoiler]'s Condition, Season 2 Plans

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Monday’s Timeless finale

Timeless dropped a mother of a twist during Monday night’s finale when Lucy’s mom, Carol (played by Susanna Thompson), revealed to her daughter that she’s a member of Rittenhouse. That makes Lucy something akin to Rittenhouse royalty, coming from two of the mysterious organization’s strongest bloodlines.

“Rittenhouse has an operative on the mothership” — that would be Emma, who’s a mole! — “and soon they will control everything: the past and the present, the future,” Carol informed Lucy. “Together, we will change history.”

Elsewhere in the season ender: Lucy enlisted her grandfather to be a double agent within Rittenhouse in 1954. Back in the present, they tracked down his apartment full of intel, allowing them to arrest key members. Then Lucy arranged a secret meeting with Flynn to hand over the names of his family’s killers, and he, in return, gave her back her journal, which he claimed she gave him. (More on the when and how of that below.) But the peace was short-lived as Agent Christopher swooped in to arrest Flynn.

And last, but definitely not least interesting: Jiya had a strange physical reaction after taking a ride with the trio in the time ship, which was built for just three.

Below, creators Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan talk about Lucy’s shocking discovery, Jiya’s time-bending state and Season 2’s potential conflict.

Timeless RecapTVLINE | Has Lucy’s mother always been Rittenhouse, or is she just a member in this timeline where she’s healthy?
SHAWN RYAN | She’s always been Rittenhouse. This is something that Eric [Kripke] and I had talked about even as we were making the pilot, before we even had writers on staff, that we felt that Lucy’s mother was Rittenhouse. We just debated when and how to reveal that. She’s someone who in both timelines… has always been a secret and an important member of Rittenhouse.

TVLINE | That was one twist where I was like, “I should’ve seen this coming,” because you don’t cast Susanna Thompson on a genre show and not have her be some kind of Machiavellian orchestrator.
ERIC KRIPKE | [Laughs] It’s funny. After we cast her, my son binges Arrow. I was familiar with Susanna and a fan, but I hadn’t watched every episode of Arrow, I have to admit. So I’m in the kitchen watching the episode of Arrow where she’s revealed to be evil, and I was like, “Oh, s–t!” [Laughs] I was like, “She’s going to be typecast as a loving mom, who turns out to be bad.” But Shawn’s right. We had this planned for quite a long time.

TVLINE | Lucy’s father has been quite overt about his involvement in Rittenhouse. Why was her mom so secretive about it all?
KRIPKE | I don’t want to spoil too much, because a lot of these are questions that we’re talking about for Season 2, but I’ll just say that nothing is arbitrary, and nothing is accidental, and Rittenhouse really meticulously plans everything out. In our minds, as we’ve been kicking around the structure of Rittenhouse, Lucy’s mom pretty far outranks Ben Cahill. So it all comes down to Ben revealed himself, and Carol didn’t because that was exactly the way Carol wanted it for reasons that’ll be illuminated in Season 2.

TVLINE | Is there anything you can say about her hopes for Lucy when it comes to Rittenhouse?
KRIPKE | There were times where Lucy didn’t want to be a historian at all, and mom made sure that she was. Mom has been pulling the strings on Lucy’s life for a very long time. At first, we thought it was just a typical, overbearing mother. Now we realize that there was a very meticulous plan in place. Mom’s plan for Lucy is to be the primary team member to take back the mothership in Rittenhouse’s name and make specific and surgical changes to history to make the present far more advantageous for that organization. So she’s their great white hope, and she’s been, unbeknownst to her, meticulously conditioned to be that person. So it’s just another variation on what we’ve been talking about all year, which is: Do you follow this plan that’s been set out for you? And if not, then what do you do, and how do you fight back against it?

TVLINE | Lucy has been chosen for this role. Was Wyatt and Rufus’ involvement in all of this arbitrary, or was there some sort of operation behind them being chosen for this project?
RYAN | You’re going deep dive on us here! Some of these things may be for Season 2. Rufus was literally the only person that could drive or pilot the lifeboat, so I don’t think there was much option about Rufus’ involvement. And one of the great things we’ve been able to play over the course of this season is the reality of sending a person of color back to all these different time periods. I don’t think Rufus would’ve been the logical first choice to blend into all these places that were primarily Caucasian. He was a team member out of necessity, and Wyatt was just chosen from Special Forces by Agent Christopher and her team.

Timeless RecapTVLINE | Turning to Jiya, she seems to be neither here nor there. I feel like she’s maybe in two places at once. What’s going on with her?
KRIPKE | There’s something very mysterious happening to her. She was affected by being the fourth person in the machine, and what she ends up seeing is this flickering between the Golden Gate Bridge present day and then the year when it was being constructed. What does that mean, and what is happening to her, and what is she able to see, and how does that grow and change in Season 2 becomes part of the story. The only mild spoiler that I’ll say about it is one of my all-time favorite books is Slaughterhouse-Five, [which is] about a man who becomes unstuck in time, and that was part of the inspiration for what is starting to happen to Jiya.

Timeless RecapTVLINE | With Flynn feeling betrayed by Lucy after his arrest, what would a hypothetical Season 2 look like in terms of him and the time team? Would they be on opposing sides again, fighting each other?
KRIPKE | The reason we ended Flynn in that position was because we wanted to just continue and deepen and escalate the same relationships we had been playing and just take them to a whole new level. Flynn, when we find him in Season 2, I don’t know 100 percent yet, but you can probably bet that he’s going to be in some kind of incarceration, and he’s going to be really f–king pissed at Lucy. And yet, he is going to be one of the few people suited to being able to fight whatever threats they face in Season 2. So it’ll be uneasy and uncertain.

TVLINE | Flynn says to Lucy about how he got the journal from her, “You age well.” So he’s been to the future?
RYAN | I would argue that that comment does not mean that he’s been in the future. It could mean that a future Lucy has been to the past.
KRIPKE | Perhaps in some version of an advanced machine that does allow you to travel on your own timeline… There’s nothing saying that there can’t be innovation in the future that allows that to happen.

Timeless fans, what did you think of the season ender? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. Mike says:

there got to be a season 2 because I did not see that twist coming

2. Sheila says:

Did anyone else feel like scenes were cut out? Like it was supposed to be longer? At one point I thought I had fallen asleep and missed 20 minutes.

• Jinx says:

YES! It the last third or so seemed to make huge disconnected jumps.

• ninergrl6 says:

Particularly the return of the lifeboat carrying Rufus, Jiya, and Wyatt, and then Lucy going back on the mothership with Flynn. I was like, “Wait, what happened when they landed?” All of a sudden everyone was back in present day reunited.

• VA Duncan says:

I only thought it was a bit disconnected once. Only when Lucy was talking with her grandfather in 1954 about him having to be a double agent his entire life and her waving to Rufus and Wyatt as they left in the lifeboat, and then all-of-a-sudden she and Wyatt were walking into her grandfather’s place in the present day. I still don’t think there would have been a great way to show anything in-between though. We were already told Lucy was going to hitch a ride with Flynn in the mother ship so we didn’t really have to see that, and I don’t know if showing Wyatt and Lucy in a car driving over to her grandfather’s and maybe spelling a few things out for us would have made a big difference or not. Maybe. It just took me a minute to figure out who I was looking at and where they were in the present day scene at her grandfather’s since just a minute earlier we saw him young and in 1954 and then we were back in the present day and he was so old.

3. wyatt says:

at first i was looking for indications that this would be the series finale and they were wrapping up plot lines, and i found plenty. however, there were just as many frayed ends that were re-ignited, in terms of the wyatt/lucy ‘spark’, agent christopher re-taking control, mason changing allegiance. add to the the whopper of lucy’s mom’s proclamation as an ultimate cliffhanger, and i’ll just say… TIMELESS BETTER BE BACK!

4. BM says:

Interesting choice and I doubt it’s accidential – Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1937, the Hindenburg crashed in 1937, so they’re both symbols of the same year and altering something in that year is what caused Lucy’s sister to disappear.

5. Asia says:

Please stop playing and renew this show. Give this show a chance to find its audience. Seriously, no more cop or law shows medical dramas or reboots. Tonight’s episode was so good.

• Shanean says:

That’s the truth. No more.cops shows. We can all expos nod eighall the cops show on. Be different. Now abc hAs a time traveling shoe coming out too. Grr.

6. michelle says:

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Just a fantastic episode with twists and turns I did not see coming! NBC. Enough with all the chicago shows and renew this show! It has fillled my Doctor Who void.

7. Kenbud says:

“It could mean that a future Lucy has been to the past.”

This puts a whole new twist on storyline possibilities! Man, this show is good. Come on NBC, renew!

• ninergrl6 says:

That’s always what I thought about how Flynn got Lucy’s journal — that future (older) Lucy must’ve gone back in time and visited him in 2016 (roughly) to give it to him. Him time travelling to the future makes less sense.

8. Terri says:

The show is way cool and very interesting. It’s also a learning endeavor for kids. Really like the love tension developing between Lucy and Wyatt. Like that Flynn isn’t as evil as portrayed in the beginning and I want him to get his family back. Also hope he joins the team to fight Rittenhouse. Don’t forget to bring Amy back!

9. The Everyday Mom Life says:

This is my favorite show and it’s amazing! I did not see that twist coming and TIMELess just has to never renewed!

10. westwingwolf says:

In the Caster Chronicles, there is a character who can see the past & preset of time play out at the same time. That kind of sounds what Jiya might be going through. If they continue to change history, I would imagine it would greatly affect Jiya who wouldn’t know what’s real: the present she knew before or the present that happens with the changes. I’ve always wanted to see a character in a time travel show be greatly affected by changes to their history causing confusion over what was real then and was is real now. Sadly, I don’t think things will be easy for her, but I hope she’ll be able to recover from it. I hope this show is renewed. Even for shorter seasons. I think they can do really well with a short 13 episode season. Tighten the story. Also an earlier timeslot would be better for this series.

11. B says:

I. KNEW. IT.

I knew she had to be Rittenhouse with her pushiness about the career, and when Benjamin Cahill called to say “Guess who was here”.

12. Chloe says:

Fantastic episode!!! I’ll be terribly disappointed if NBC doesn’t renew this!!!

13. Louis E. says:

I like it,I’ll watch if it comes back (for a FULL length season please!),but can live with its not coming back.

• VegasGal72 says:

I have to agree. I like the show but I am not in love with it. The last few episodes haven’t held my attention like in the beginning. If it is renewed I would watch but I am not going to cry if it gets cancelled.

14. Gene says:

I am intrigued with concept of time travel. Would like to know how history is changed their disruptions.

15. diane says:

What an ending!

16. lisa says:

please keep this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Rick Katze says:

A very strong episode. Until the last 5 minutes I thought they were tying up the loose ends and assuming that they would be cancelled.

NBC needs to renew it for a second season. Or they have to stop having cliffhanging final episodes of TV shows that have not been renewed.

18. Keith says:

Love the show! Phenomenal season finale, I love the twist! Did not see that coming, so many possibilities and can’t wait for a second season.

19. Stacy says:

I’m really excited for Jiya’s expanding storyline. I’m glad they’re not just sticking her with “loved one stuck on base camp” status.

• ninergrl6 says:

Me too. The development of Jiya’s “condition” in last night’s ep is far more interesting to me than the mom-is-Rittenhouse reveal. Jiya’s expanding character development has been one of my favorite aspects of the last few episodes.

20. Kevin says:

The twist at the end blew me away and I really hope there’s going to be more if Timeless gets renewed. Also they completely forgot about what happened to Lucy’s sister after the pilot.

• BM says:

They didn’t forget about Lucy’s sister. She was mentioned in a few episodes, and as late as 14. They just haven’t brough her back yet. Probably because it’s what keeps Lucy motivated.
      I wonder if Rittenhouse actually knows how to get Amy back/to which point in time Lucy would have to go to ensure that Amy is conceived.

21. James D says:

I saw it coming only because of what Vlada alluded to, you don’t cast Susanna Thompson unless she is gonna be a clandestine heavy (which she is so good at playing). I hope it does get a season two. it isn’t perfect by any stretch but the characters are strong and that is all I really care about at the end of the day.

22. justsomeguy says:

That’s how to end a season! I don’t see how anyone could have seen that coming at all. I mean, who strands themselves in the 1800’s on purpose? Rittenhouse is a far more calculating organization than I ever gave it credit for. I’m hoping for a season 2.

23. N says:

WOW! I loved the ending Please renew

24. David Knowles says:

Wyatt was chosen by Rittenhouse that probably a twist they are trying to keep secret, who else could ensure his family died no matter what intervention he made in the past. Rittenhouse has spent centuries building their organisation to control time, ever since time travelers killed their founder they are prepared somehow for changes in timelines, probably each house of rittenhouse is a completely seperate entity. I also bet that they will be shipping advance technologies back in time.

The question is what kind of Lucy gave that book to Flynn, one opposing Rittenhouse or one that has fallen into line behind their plans, the second one would be a great twist.

Still the biggest question, what does mason really wants, he clearly not as shallow as someone who just wanted to build a time machine for the sake of building a time machine, has he done all of this just to get inside the NSA infrastructure. Did his team really make algorithms decades more advanced than the NSA or did someone give those algorithms to him, Lucy or someone else from the future.

• VA Duncan says:

We don’t know that Wyatt’s wife was killed by Rittenhouse, and we also don’t know that he won’t eventually go back and save her. The ONLY reason he failed when he went back to 1983 and tried was because the guy he talked to in prison lied to him about killing her. The other two women that murdered killed were alive again when Wyatt got back to present day, just not his wife, so that wasn’t the guy who killed her. Now, that COULD mean Rittenhouse killed her too, but Wyatt only tried once to change the past and save her and we still don’t know if he could try again and be successful. So your comment about her still being dead “no matter what intervention he made in the past” is off the mark. There was only one “intervention” and the only reason Jessica wasn’t saved was because the guy in prison lied to Wyatt about killing his wife.

25. Kenneth Timberlake says:

Watched the time tunnel back in the 1960s loved it,they canceled it after the first season Due to ratings, it turned into a classic!!! I’m hooked on timeless hope they don’t cancel if they do,I hope another network picks it up.

26. Joey Padron says:

Season finale was so good. I was so surprised about the twist at the end. Hope the show will get renewed for season 2 soon!

27. Renew there are just as many quetions as there as wrap ups in the episode will suck if its cancelled

28. Butch says:

Surprised the doctor/fiancee wasn’t also Rittenhouse. Would Lucy also have an arranged marriage like her parents.

They haven’t dealt with any of the history they have changed so far, like Eliot Ness dying before he was supposed to.

• Desdemona says:

I think the finance is Rittenhouse, how could he not be? And Lucy’s mom wasn’t even married to her dad. Why didn’t she marry Amy’s father in this timeline.

• DJ Doena says:

“Carol is one cold mother. She doesn’t care that she had another daughter because she doesn’t remember her? Diggle on Arrow was kind of the same way with baby Sarah .”

But it is real. We humans build emotional connections to the people we know. Not to people that may have existed in theory. Neither Carol nor Diggle have ever met their daughters. They didn’t “lose” them in any palpable way. It’s like you find an old family picture and there’s another person beside your parent while they were kids themselves and you learn you had an uncle that died in an accident years before you were born.

For you it’s just a fact that there used to be a person that isn’t there anymore. But since you’ve never met him, never known him, never talked to him – there’s just nothing there emotionally. It’s not like Carol can actually remember carrying that child in her womb. For her, it never happened.

29. Linda says:

Such a well written and entertaining show. I truly hope to see Season 2 happen. Too many good shows (Parenthood, eg.) go by the wayside. Please keep Timeless going!

30. Awsome there has to be a 2 season love the show looking forward to more

31. Awsome there has too be a season 2 like be looking for it sign hoping

32. Heather Vinson Harrison says:

This is so captivating!! I love how it peaks my son’s interest to learn more about the historical events! Keep the show AND keep it clean!!

• ninergrl6 says:

This is just one of the reasons why I think Timeless needs an earlier time slot. It’s an excellent source of educational material, and there’s a higher chance of kids watching the show (or families watching together) if it were on at 8 or 9 pm. It’s clean enough to be on earlier and has never felt like a 10 pm show IMO. I know we’re living in an age of streaming and binge-watching, and families don’t necessarily watch tv together any more, but Timeless seems like a show that would be ideal for multi-generational viewing.

33. It’s been my experience that all the best shows die an untimely death, while all the dumbest shows stay on the air for decades. Look at Survivor. It had to be the lamest show ever dreamed of, yet it’s been on the air since the friggin 90’s, and still going! It has no plot, no writers, and no ACTORS even! It’s just a show about people who want to get other people off the show. Moral of the story is never underestimate the stupidity of people, and their lack of good taste when it comes to TV programming.

34. brenna says:

For me, this was a nearly perfect season finale for a nearly perfect season. The finale had great twists, wonderful character moments, many answers, yet many threads to continue for Season 2. This show has everything I love, adventure, humor and heart, with great characters and wonderful actors. I very much hope it will be renewed for a Season 2!

35. Amber says:

This show better be back!! It’s one of the very few shows that the entire family can watch and so well done. Love the history part of it and love all the characters. The ongoing story line is excellent and so is the acting. I think more people would watch it live if it was at an earlier time…10pm is a little late to start a family show. We always dvr it and have to watch the next day so the kids can watch. PLEASE RENEW THIS SHOW!!

36. Megan Boyle says:

Great finale – full of twists. Happy they are still “shipping” Wyatt and Lucy, with Flynn always foreshadowing a relationship with Lucy somewhere in time (although now Flynn would as soon kill her as kiss her.) And then there is her hot fiance– I think we should keep him around.
    Never know when you need a doctor. Unless he was Rittenhouse all along…..

Cheers for Jiya and Rufus. But don’t kill her off! (I better re-read Slaughterhouse Five).
    A rich cast like this deserves renewed. So many plots to mine and characters to care about.
    Our heroine is carrying it all, the way Sydney Bristow carried Alias. You seldom find that kind of show. RENEW and hurry back!

• ninergrl6 says:

Totally shallow observation: the way that Wyatt and Lucy looked at each other in that 2nd to last scene was 100% swoon-worthy. I rewound and rewatched that conversation several times. *sigh*

37. Kostas says:

Please keep timeless . It is worth watching.

38. Teresa Trent says:

Too much unanswered! MUST be a season 2!!!

39. Joy Iddinja says:

I only watch 3 TV shows regularly, and this is one of them. I hope they keep it.

And just to get it out there, does anyone wonder about Wyatt and Rittenhouse? Now, I’m not saying he knows, but with Lucy’s mom’s reveal, I’m thinking he might be and it would explain why Jessica was killed. Lucy’s mom doesn’t appear to give a darn when Lucy tells her about Amy, as if she deems Amy unworthy, possibly because of who her father would have been. If Rittenhouse is as eugenical as David Rittenhouse made it out to be (and terms like ‘pure blood’ suggest it still is), Wyatt being of Rittenhouse stock would make Jessica unfit to have kids with him if she came from outside the organization. Perhaps they killed her to make room for a more suitable mate once he was told about who he was and where he came from.

40. Kay says:

Timeless is an awesome show I haven’t been this excited to view a show each week in a long time. It has it all drama, suspense love interest, likeable characters and some you love to hate topping it off with historical education. More than once during the season after an episode I researched a person or event in history because I wanted to know more about it. The season finale left me wanting more! I truly hope that Timeless gets a second season and many more! I think the possibilities are endless as to how the story line can go.

41. Butch says:

So is Rittenhouse responsible for Lucy not having a sister? Did they prevent Carol from meeting the baby daddy to keep Carol healthy?

42. John Settles says:

I really like the writing, the plots, the characters and the actors. Keep the actors they’re great. I like also that it’s a bit educational as well. There have been historical facts I didn’t know. Let’s have some romance between Lucy and Wyatt. Villans need to be nasty nemesises. You can’t have a good show w/o villans, i.e. The Walking Dead. Please keep current politics out of this show. You’ve got a winner don’t ruin it.

• Louis E. says:

To be honest one of the things I’ve liked least about the show is the pushing of romance between Lucy and Wyatt.And they do get historical facts wrong now and then and pay too little attention to historical changes they cause.I agree that they need to drop the modern-politics lines.

43. Carole Ferrara says:

What a surprise twist in the season finale and I say that emphatically, season finale – not series finale. There has to be a Season 2. Wyatt and Lucy are just getting started; Rufus and Jiya are just getting started. There is so much more to explore.

44. bob says:

Hopefully it gets 13-16 eps or more for a S2.
    I like the show, it must be in a bad timeslot, even scorpion does not do well in that hour.
    I would like to see another season.

However I didnt like what happened with flynn, and some of the reveals.
    Apparently jiya can now see back in time, that is ok, lucys mom is kinda interesting,
    but doesnt make a lot of sense, as she seems to not know lucy very well.

But anyway hope it can get a S2.

45. Anna says:

I love this show. We get to see historical events as it should have happened and the results of someone interfering with it. I like seeing Lucy’s, Rufus’s and Wyatt’s reactions when they are in the past.

46. VA Duncan says:

That’s exactly what I thought about Flynn — not Lucy: that he was actually back in time (our present) the entire season, because how else would he have gotten Lucy’s journal when she hadn’t even written it yet? Now I have to re-watch the finale and see what his wife’s headstone states as her year of death to see if it was before or after 2016. I hope Season 2 is a full season, which these days, who knows how many episodes that would be: 22? In the old days there were over 30 episodes per season, they began the week after Labor Day in September, and didn’t stop until school was out in June (sometimes May). I’m not sure if production costs are astronomical these days and that’s why a season is so short, but whatever. All I know is 15 episodes of Timeless this season WAS NOT ENOUGH!!!

• DJ Doena says:

Yeah but if you look at these old shows like Bonanza you see that every episode stands alone and the plot is not that complicated.

Take the A-Team for example, almost every single plot is a variant of this: Simple folks are threatened by mobsters. Hannibal disguises and A-Team is hired. They show up at the mobsters and shoot his place up. Mobster retaliates and captures A-Team. A-Team builds some kind of weapon, breaks out and defeats mobsters. The end.

It’s painting-by-colours.

By now I rather prefer 13-16 episode season if that avoids unecessary plots and filler episodes.

• Louis E. says:

You forgot the A-Team’s amazingly poor marksmanship,matched only by that of their opponents.

But I prefer as many episodes a season as possible.Soap operas have complicated plots and have more episodes a month than Timeless did this year.

• Louis E. says:

I agree that seasons should be longer.What they gave us this year was just two thirds of a season.(As someone pointed out,older Lucy could have come back from the future to the present to give Flynn the journal).

47. Dominique says:

what an amazing and spectacular finale! this cannot be the end, come on NBC, knock it off with all the crime drama’s and whatnot and gives this another chance!
    i’m very curious to see what will happen with lucy and flynn, what he meant and how it will continue. i actually always felt their connection was the most interesting one.
    jiya’s condition seems so fascinating and bizarre, i can’t wait to learn more about that!

48. Kathy ebert says:

Loved the whole season. Can’t wait for next season to begin!

49. laurelnev says:

I have disliked this actress since she was on AMC, but with this show, she has changed my mind. Frankly, at the beginning of the season, I was sure Conviction would be tye 10pm show that made it and that timeless would be the one to flicker out, but within weeks, I could see how wrong I was about that. This show grew into a nice ensemble piece with enough sci fi elements to keep it interesting, and not too much “Sam! It worked! Siggy says now…”* (*Quantum Leap ref.) Just hope the time travel sickness IS more Vonnegut and les Lost. (If Jiya’s nose starts bleeding, I swear…)

I hope Flynn’s ally is another Rittenhouse mole, and that she was being honest about hiding out in the Old West. That would make it a lot more interesting, imo, especially when Flynn gets loose and starts seeking revenge on the Rittenhouse-Busters. There MUST be a ton more secret stuff in Ethan’s secret evidence room, and I’m sure that’s the 1st place Lucy will head after finding out about Mom. (Wonder if the Fiance is another semi-arranged bigwig union?) I am most definitely in for Season 2.

• Louis E. says:

I did note that Lucy’s mother met Amy’s father in the year that would host the Rittenhouse summit after the one they dealt with in the season finale.

50. GeoDiva says: