Major Crimes Boss Sounds Off: I Hope New Wednesday Slot Isn't a Problem

TNT’s Major Crimes at long last resumes Season 5 this week — though for the first time in its history, not airing on Mondays.

Instead, the offshoot of The Closer — which also called Monday home — will be airing Wednesdays at 9/8c, starting Feb. 22. As such, you can understand if the series’ creator is a bit anxious.

“This is not the night I would have picked, and this is not the time of year that I would have picked to come back on,” James Duff shared with TVLine, as part of our Season 5B preview (coming later this week). But with TNT hosting NBA basketball on Mondays this time of year, and there being a need for scripted fare on the cabler, the stalwart procedural was called into action.

As for how Major Crimes — which in Season 5A averaged 3.8 million viewers and a 0.5 rating in Live+Same Day numbers — will hold up against fellow crime dramas Criminal Minds (averaging 7.6 mil/1.4) and Law & Order: SVU (6.2 mil/1.5) — Duff clutches onto this advice: “What I’m told is that the live numbers are no longer important,” that TNT instead keeps an eye on Live+7 DVR playback and such.

There’s also the none-too-small fact that Major Crimes already has been renewed for Season 6 — for at least a preliminary 13 episodes.

Duff also has great faith in his cast and their presence on social media, to raise awareness about the new time slot and then drum up excitement on Wednesday evenings. “I do believe that we have some experience in locating our viewers, and letting them know where we are,” he says. “We do keep up a very active social media presence, and we are in communications with our viewers as closely as we can be.”

But despite the best promotional efforts that any TV show can put out, Duff admits that he himself has been blindsided many a time by, say, the onset of each new Survivor season. “When it comes back I’m always surprised, because somehow the message doesn’t get to me,” he says.

“But we are very actively trying to get the message out to people,” about Major Crimes‘ big move, he reiterates. “I do hope that Wednesday night at 9 doesn’t end up being a big problem for us.”

Want scoop on Major Crimes, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. nblackburn01 says:

And a heads up to James….if this show was on at 2am, I have a funny feeling that its diehard, hard core fans of this show would be up watching it! I know I would!

• Kathy H. says:

I will be watching Major Crimes in spite of the day and time change! If I get sleepy, I have it set for DVR as backup. This is one of best and I will change from watching Criminal Minds in order to watch Major Crimes.

2. ljd213 says:

James,
    We’ll be watching in a variety of ways. Those other shows aren’t even on my radar.

3. Yoko says:

Count those DVR’s. I save everything and watch it at my leisure. Rarely watch a show live anymore. Love this show.

4. ljd213 says:

James,

Fear not, we’ll represent for Major Crimes in a variety of formats. Those other shows aren’t even on my viewing radar.

5. I watch both the other shows at 9 PM and yes 1 I watch Live while the other is recorded. Now my watch live is Major Crimes and buh bye 1 of the other shows. Looks like it will be Criminal Minds going away for me. Sorry Criminal Minds but with all the changes I just can’t see me leaving SVU.

6. em says:

There are a lot of shows that I watch on Wednesday night but if I have on at the same time I record 1 and watch the other. I’ve already figured it out so I can watch it.

7. Debbie Giannamore says:

Will be watching with Bells on , James !!!

8. Linnter says:

Personally, I’m thrilled that the show will be on Wednesday nights. I’m not a Law & Order or al Minds fan any longer, so this is great news.

9. Fan says:

Looking forward to Major Crimes, one of my favorite cop shows. The cast are like familiar friends who entertain me; make me laugh and cry.

I especially enjoyed the Sanchez/white surpremacist kid storyline. I dropped a few tears over that one. The 5 episode arc kept my interest all the way through. Love grumpy old Provenza. Wondering if Sanchez will ever explode again. How about the romance between Raydor and Flynn (and how’s Andy’s heart).

I’d only change one thing, Rusty has to move or enter college on the other side of the country. Even when he isn’t whining, he’s still irritating to me. And yes, I know, he’s grown up and is less irritating than before, but that is still too much for me. (I do FF when he’s on and if I find later in the episode that the conversation I FF’d through is important, I REWND and watch, but only if I feel I have no choice.) My apologies to the Rusty fans out there.

Anyway, one irritating character is not enough to get me to stop watching this excellent show.

10. Boiler says:

No one ever accused Reilly of being smart!! See R&I

11. fred russo says:

We would watch this show any night !!!!

12. Linda says:

I don’t care what night or time Major Crimes is on. I’ll watch it!!! Been counting the days. Great show.

13. sslevy531 says:

i’ll be watching criminal minds live as I usually do, dvring SVU and the 10pm Replay of Major Crimes. this way I don’t miss anything. if i miss it, there is always TNTdrama.com to watch it or On Demand.

14. janet johnson says:

Monday night is a tv wasteland for me, while Wednesday is my favorite. Whether live or recorded, count on me to continue watching.. I love Major Crimes.

15. That means 8pm central….That will be a problem… C M is on a good track right now Even better without Hotch….should have stayed on Monday…Monday nights have gotten really bad on all other stations.

16. Grey'sFan says:

A 6-plus rating in Season 18 of a show is pretty good for L&O: SVU. I wonder if Grey’s Anatomy will still be getting an 8-plus rating when it’s in Season 18…

17. Susu says:

DVR set to always tape new episodes. Aren’t most people’s?

18. Coleen says:

I gave up Criminal Minds when they gave up Hotch. Don’t intend to go back unless he comes back. Since that’s not happening anytime soon, Major Crimes and SVU are a toss up. But I’ll definitely be tuning into Major Crime’s premiere.

19. Susan says:

I like Criminal Minds and Law & Order SVU but I love Major Crimes and I will happily give up Criminal Minds on Wednesday’s for Major Crimes.

20. Sherry Masters says:

Love the shows. Will watch it whenever it is on

21. Bella says:

Yep, I’ll be watching. The only other show I watch on Wednesday is Lethal Weapon.

22. Mike Lowe says:

Like Duff, Wednesday night is not a good night. I always watch LA SVU and Chicago PD on Wednesday night. I would have like it still on Monday nights as there is nothing but those stupid comedy shows on Monday nights. I guess I will have to watch it on , ON-DEMAND at a later date.

23. Patty says:

Wish Major Crimes was on Monday night. Bad TV on that night, We will watch on demand though. LOVE Major Crimes.

24. Mark A. Drennen says:

I don’t think the die hard fan of Major Crimes would care what day is was on or if it was on at 3am, we would watch it no matter when.

25. Carol says:

Love Major Crimes but wish it wouldn’t change nights. Too much competition that night and time. Afraid that will hurt the ratings.

26. Deanna says:

My favorite show was closer. Now my favorite show is Major Crimes. I will watch it any night or time.

27. Wednesday is a problem for me, I watch Law/Order SVU, Star, and Chicago PD on this day. so I will have to wait until the following Wed to start the rerun. I understand you had to change from Monday because of basketball and I hope that you wont lose any viewers.

28. Robert says:

That’s why I watch everything On Demand. I love this show.

29. karrie pittsburgh says:

It was a problem for our limited DVR until Code Black season ended. We can record MC on the replay hour. We would wait to watch whatever show On Demand, but the shows aren’t always posted before the next episode airs.

30. liame says:

IMO live viewing is secondary. DVR and Demand is where it’s at. I have so many programs that I DVR and watch 2 or 3 days later because of long work hours. Major Crimes is an excellent show with amazing actors, it will hold it’s own.

31. jj says:

I will be watching Major Crimes. Not liking the Reid arc and I don’t watch SVU. The only Law and Order I liked was Criminal Intent.

32. bobbi6484 says:

I will be recording it, as I always do. We wouldn’t miss this show! But, I fail to understand why Wednesday and Thursday are so heavily loaded. How about a Tuesday show? I understand why they stay away from Fridays and Saturdays, but Wednesdays and Thursdays are getting absolutely ridiculous.

33. momoffour says:

it is still one of my favorite shows, so excited for it comeback. my DVR is set!!.

34. Donna m says:

I’ve been keeping up with Major Crimes from the beginning. It is awesome. Doesn’t matter the day.

35. DL says:

You can count on me to be tuning in. Love this show, tons of heart. And five seasons on I’m still impressed how smoothly they transitioned from The Closer.

36. Carm says:

I don’t watch anything live anymore. So I will watch them all at some point.

37. michele pollock says:

I love Major Crimes. No date change will hurt me. I’ll just tape it like I always have done. I love that show.

38. Sara Gray says:

Love this show, would prefer reruns of this and the closers verses Animal kingdom and other new shows.

39. Hey, nothing wrong with Hump day for my favorite program, I don’t care if they schedule it for 1:23:45 AM on the 2nd Tuesday of the Week in the months of Februne, Julvember, Septust and Decemuary! I watching it!