Supergirl Spoilers

Supergirl's Mr. Mxyzptlk Explains His 'Updated' Look, Why He Loves Kara

For the record, Peter Gadiot is fully aware that he’s playing the CW version of Mr. Mxyzptlk, one of the zaniest — and traditionally unattractive — characters in the DC Universe.

“I was as surprised by anyone when I did the research and saw how he is usually,” Gadiot tells TVLine ahead of his character’s debut on Monday’s Supergirl (8/7c). “I think they did an interesting take in that they kept the essence of the character true to the origin, but they made him more relatable and updated. They wanted to make it a legitimate possibility that Kara could actually agree to be with him.”

It’ll take some convincing, but when it comes to love, Gadiot says his character is ready to put in the effort.

“Mixy’s someone who’s lived for a long time, and he’s probably experienced a lot of loneliness,” the actor explains. “Then Kara comes into his consciousness, and he instantly sees not only her physical beauty, but her unique abilities.”

Of course, if he wants to win Ms. Zor-El’s hand in marriage, he’ll have to get through Mon-El first. Gadiot confirms that Kara’s two suitors find themselves at odds, though it doesn’t sound like Mixy sees Mon-El as a viable threat.

“He sees Mon-El as a fly he needs to swat away,” Gadiot says with a laugh. “Mon-El is just a pest who’s getting in the way of him being with Kara. Over the course of the episode, he becomes more and more annoying, and things get even more complicated when Mixy realizes that he and Kara already have a sort-of relationship.”

This all leads up to a Hamilton-esque duel between Mxyzptlk and Mon-El, which Gadiot says was “really fun” to shoot. Also fun? Getting to slip into Clark Kent’s iconic threads — sort of.

“I had it pointed out to me that only a few men in history have worn the Superman suit,” Gadiot says. “And then someone else pointed out that I was probably the first person to have worn the Super-Mixy suit, which has an M emblazoned on it. It’s great to be even a small part in this universe.”

Your hopes for Mr. Mxyzptlk’s visit to National City? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. DJ Doena says:

There was a Mr. Mxyzptlk on the 90s Superboy show: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030541/mediaviewer/rm3158950912

There was also a not-a-meteor-freak-freak Mr. Mxyzptlk on Smallville’s 4th season. IIRC he was the first villain with powers who wasn’t jagged up by either Kryptonite or Jerk-El.

2. DJ Doena says:

In 1988 there was a Mr. Mxyzptlk on the TV show Superboy played by Michael J. Pollard. He looked pretty close.

There was also a in-name-only character on Smallville who – as usual for that era of the show – didn’t wear any kind of costume but was just a regular guy with (although not meteor) powers.

3. susan says:

So, Mon-El saves the day, again. How about focusing the show on Supergirl? Her relationship with her “family” on Earth and her personal growth? This season has been about her supporting Mon-El and making him better. It’s not his show, and they are forcing this teeny hopper relationship onthe viewers.

• ndixit says:

At no point does it say that Mon-El saves the say. If you are determined to dislike something, you will dislike regardless of what is true. Mon-El has had only a handful of scenes the last two eps.

• SuperBrian says:

I have a feeling they’re going to break him off into his own show once the romance dies with Supergirl. That’s the only explanation I see as to why they are giving him so much story.

• Ar says:

Can’t the girl just have a boyfriend for a minute? If this goes into next season then I think we’ll call this the end game. I suspect though they’ll either kill him off or his parents will drag him away. Or he’ll have to go with them to protect earth.

• It seems likely that they’ll go the comics route, where he gets severe lead poisoning and has to stay in the phantom zone for a thousand years. Or maybe he’ll end up there in some heroic sacrifice. Point is, he’s a 31st century hero in the comics.
          But yeah, Kara really does need a break.

• Ws says:

Yea, i’m expecting him to wind up in the phantom zone in the season finale… but would be nice for her to have some happiness before then.

• Ws says:

He hasnt saved the day at all this season.. and they really havent spent that much time on him… the season has spent a lot of time on Alex’s relationship, on J’ohn and his martian issues, on Jimmy becoming Guardian.. all those storylines have gotten more time than Mon who is usually a side story in most episodes.. i don’t get why so many people on here dislike him.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

He ruins their Kara-Lena ship.

• Cate says:

Because the article suggests the climax of the episode will be a Mon-El / Myx duel – all about the boys fighting and not about, hello SUPERGIRL – the lead of the show! Some people are just getting a bit annoyed that Kara is getting sidelined in her own show

• maregolden says:

I totally agree with you Ws. It seems this season has been more about the supporting cast rather than Supergirl. I would love to see more of her with Mon-e, but the only relationship that is being pushed is Alex and Maggie. We get it! She just realized she is gay. I’m happy for her. Time to move on. The name of the show is not “Alex, sister of Supergirl.”

• Josh says:

Oh please he already gets more screen time with Kara then anyone else. I’m so sick of him always around her. He gets more screen time than Alex Winn J’onn who I care about not the pretty boy. Kara ended it with James cause she needed time for herself which she never got she don’t need a significant other. And that BS she said before almost kissing douche -el was same crap with James but more gag worthy. It’s SUPERGIRL not Mon-el but he’s getting forced on me like Ray was in Season 3 of Arrow .

4. annetheoutlaw says:

My first instinct is to be annoyed because the whole ‘two men fight over a woman like she’s a prize to be won’ has no place in this show, but I think Kara will tell them both to knock it off and let her choose her own damn self, thank you very much. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll be annoyed and outraged then.
    At the very least, this ep looks hilarious and campy.

• Christian says:

I’m sure you’ll find something to be outraged about. That’s the default setting for many of you nowadays!

• jerrydwiz says:

Mr. Mxyztplk is traditionally an imp from the 5th dimension whose powers appear to be magical. If they have him hold on to the powers, Supergirl may not be capable of resisting Mxyzptlk’s “charms”. Mr. M. traditionally plagued Superman in the comics who only had one way to defeat him, which was to get him to say his own name backwards, which would send the imp back to his own dimension incapable of returning to ours for some period of time. Superman (and likely Supergirl) is particularly ineffective against adversaries that wield magic.

• ndixit says:

I think they will probably refrain from him magically influencing Supergirl to accept his proposal. I think it will probably be more that he will create chaos in her life until she says yes.

• Ar says:

She already chose.

• Ws says:

It looks like a comical episode…and there are plenty of stories about two girls fighting over a guy as well.. it’s a common storyline.

5. aaron says:

It’s boring going with the same old (well new) attractive guy for everything

6. Ws says:

I think it would be awesome if at the end he transforms back into the imp.. and he was using his magic to make himself look more attractive

7. David Graf says:

Perhaps, this show should be renamed “The loves of Supergirl” considering how much of it is revolving around her love life. :-)

8. Gift says:

guys it’s just one episode, besides its fun to see what happens nd what’s wrong with Supergirl having a relationship? Even the the strongest woman in the world needs a break. I think mon-El is perfect for Kara. I like them together.

• Lucy says:

Yes thank you!!! She deserves “it all” and Mon-El is a good balance for her. She doesn’t need a carbon copy of herself fora boyfriend. Plus, it will be nice to have a lighter episode amidst all of the dark ones.

9. Lysh says:

I don’t care for the love triangles unless they’re done well (Winn’s crush on Kara last season was kinda awkward), but I don’t even consider this a love triangle. He’s giving me a Trickster (from SPN) vibe and that sounds like potential fun. Also Peter Gadiot is handsome. It’s nice to see him again.

10. Luis Roman says:

As Matt Webb Mitovich said when I mentioned the variance from the traditional look of Mr. Mxyzptlk, “Have you met the CW?”

11. TVFan says:

The character was also played by Howie Mandel on Lois & Clark.