Timeless Spoilers

Timeless EPs Preview 'Mind-Blowing' Finale, Talk Show's Renewal Odds

Timeless fans might be wishing they had a time machine so they could travel to the future and find out if the series is renewed or not, but creators Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan aren’t fretting too much about the show’s uncertain fate.

As the NBC drama prepares to wrap up its first season on Monday (at 10/9c), Kripke tells TVLine, “The only thing that Shawn and I can do is write the best possible story that we can, end it on what I think is a series of some pretty mind-blowing twists that will drive the audience crazy going into the summer, and just keep making a really damn good show.”

Below, Kripke and Ryan tease the “emotional” season ender and reveal what their experiences on Supernatural and Last Resort have taught them about bubble shows. (Let’s just say it has them feeling optimistic about a second season of Timeless.)

TVLINE | How would you preview the finale?
SHAWN RYAN | I’m proud of the finale. It answers a ton of the questions that we’ve raised. We’ve had a pretty good plan from the beginning of the season. There are things that happen in the finale that we had plotted out in our first couple weeks in the writers’ room back in June. We’ve known for a while that we were going to make 16 episodes this season, so we were able to plan for that and build to this. My daughter, who’s a huge fan, she usually watches early cuts with me, and I showed her this episode, and she was like, “Oh, my God, so much happens! So much to process!” [Laughs] So I hope and expect that [the viewers are] going to be happy and satisfied. Some new questions are asked. It’s a great setup for what could be in Season 2. But a lot of things come full circle.

TVLINE | The last episode left off on quite a cliffhanger, with Rufus in very dire straits. How that will play out in the finale?
ERIC KRIPKE | It’s not so much about whether Rufus will live or die, because — spoiler alert! — he lives. He’s one of our main characters and a popular one, and we’re not going to kill him. So as long as there’s a Timeless, Malcolm [Barrett] has a reasonable amount of job security. It’s more about the storyline that it leads to. Rufus is unable to pilot the lifeboat alone because he’s wounded, and so he needs some help, which comes from some unexpected places, and it kind of turns the story into a new direction, and then turns again.

Timeless SpoilersI think the show’s gotten better and better the more we’ve focused in on and doubled down on the characters. The thing I’m most proud about in the finale is that it’s really a character piece. So many finales, especially the genre shows, are just about people running around and fighting, and ours really digs down to the thematics and the character issues that our people have been facing all year. It’s a uniquely thoughtful and emotional finale, and I’m really proud of it because of that.

TVLINE | How much did not knowing whether the show was renewed or not impact the finale and how you chose to end it?
RYAN | It did not have a great impact. We had a story that we wanted to tell from the beginning. We’re moving forward optimistically. We think there will be a Season 2. I’ve been in a situation before on Last Resort, where it was clear as we were making Episodes 10 and 11 that the show wasn’t going to continue, and we chose at that point to write what was essentially a series finale for Episode 13 to give closure. I think there are a lot of reasons for optimism for a Season 2. We’ll find out in two or three months. We’ve always set out to tell this one-season story that then would provide a launching point for a Season 2, but that would answer a lot of things, and I think we did it. We didn’t have any conversations where we were pulling out ratings and trying to do the math. We’re just writers, and we told the best story we could. So we’ll let the chips fall where they may.
KRIPKE | When you write these things, you plan for success. You just sort of have to, and whatever happens happens. But you write it as if the show’s coming back, because I think doing it any other way, you’re compromising the story you set out to tell.

TVLINE | Eric, you’ve been in this boat before with Supernatural, where it was a bubble show, and now it’s pretty much guaranteed that it will go on past any other show ever.
KRIPKE | Yeah, long after I’m dead…

TVLINE | Long after everything is gone, it’ll still be around.
KRIPKE | Right. Exactly. There’ll be no more cities. There’ll be burnt-out cities and burning, flaming oceans, and Supernatural will still be on the air.

TVLINE | Does that give you a sense of optimism, though, having been with a show before that used to be a bubble show and now is pretty much a guarantee to be renewed every year?
KRIPKE | In a way, yeah. What I think my experience with Supernatural gives me is stamina and perspective when it comes to something like Timeless. I don’t panic about this stuff or even really worry about it at all. Certain things are outside of my control.

Every time we finished a season of Supernatural, and we didn’t know we were coming back, we never pulled our punches. We always ended on the craziest possible cliffhanger we could. We knew that had we been cancelled at that point, the fans would’ve gone crazy because our heroes are either smashed up by a semi truck one year, or Dean’s in Hell another year. But you just go for it. My philosophy — and I know it’s Shawn’s, too — is if you’re in the General Lee, and you’re racing towards that smashed-up bridge, you don’t pump the brakes. You put the pedal to the metal.

1. Kevin says:

Wonder how the whole Rittenhouse storyline is going to end in the season finale and I’m hoping for a Season 2 renewal if it ends with a cliffhanger. Also can Garcia Flynn be trusted after all the crazy things he went through since the pilot?

• QueenB says:

I don’t the Rittenhouse storyline will be completely resolved in the finale. The Garcia Flynn aspect of it most likely will be though.

• Marc says:

Something has to change for season two. I can’t see them spinning their wheels for five or six years and then resolving everything. It worked for The Fugitive half a century ago, but Alias, Lost, and OUAT have shown you need to keep the ball moving (to mix metaphors). Call them arcs, Call them resets. That’s how science fiction with serialized plots need to be done.

• Stacy says:

And I think time jumps are helping a lot of shows, too. Alias did a two year time jump; I remember my jaw being on the ground at the time it aired.

2. QueenB says:

I love this show!!! I hope and pray that its renewed for a second season. From the casting to the acting writing and production this series continues to improve every week.

3. Claire says:

I love this show and just keep hoping it gets renewed. I feel like the American history element of it will only catch more attention as it goes on (especially with politics being what it is right now), they just need to give it a little more time to find the audience.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good preview about season finale from the showrunners. Excited to watch it on Monday. Hope the show will get renewed for season 2!

5. Asia says:

I hope it comes back. Not surprise to hear that it’s ending on a cliffhanger.

6. Will says:

When did Flynn get Lucy’s journal? How did he get it? An episode or two ago Lucy’s mom gave her the journal for her to fill in.. It’s new in current time.

All this show does is give us more puzzles and no answers. I’m waiting for the appearance of a polar bear – Lost anyone? Lost gave up questions after weirdness after strangeness.

Timeless is changing history as we know it episode after episode and except for Lucy’s missing sister there doesn’t seem to be any other changes to current time. Show the consequences of changing the past on current time or stop changing history.

And answer a question or two about Flynn and the journal.

Keep if you answer questions. Dump if you keep teasing.

7. jeanna says:

Timeless is such a great show. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will be renewed and will jump for joy if it is!

8. Vince says:

Delusional. Those ratings are so dreadful especially for freshman show lol

9. Darcy says:

Love the show! Every episode is great! Love the fashion and history!!!

10. PJ says:

LOVE Timeless!

11. Elizabeth says:

I love this show!!!! So much great things, but my overall favorite aspect of this show is the hidden chemistry between Lucy and Wyatt. Except I feel incredibly confused with wanting him to finally get Jessica back, or husband character realizing it shouldn’t be done. Can’t wait to see what’s next!!

12. sunshine says:

I deeply resent all these shows that end with cliffhangers and then never come back again. I feel like I’m being tricked into watching something that they know they aren’t concluding satisfactorily. Listing to this guy blather on about leaving us hanging just so he has leverage for another season makes me sick. Finish up the season and then start another if you can, you owe it to the audience. I’m not watching this again because why bother giving his selfish ego any support. I loved last year’s many event series, one and done and if the fans like it you come back, otherwise you delivered a professional (not ego) show.

• Louis E. says:

It would be nice to have some closure though the networks need to be forthcoming about prospects as well.I will watch tonight despite the odds being against renewal.

• miria says:

There are some things (non-)Nielsen viewers and even non-US citizens can do to support the show:

– watch live (very important for ratings, if you’re a Nielsen family)

– tweet/retweet #Timeless live and share on FB (only US tweets/shares go into Nielsen Social Media measurement, therefore retweets/shares of non-US tweets/FB are also important)

– tweet/retweet #Timeless and share on FB 3 hours before and 3 hours after it aired (see above)

– watch online on NBC site (clicks are registered)

– click and read original articles like this one, not only screenshots on Twitter, FB, or elsewhere (clicks are registered)

13. I’m Hopeful it will get renewed as other shows this season have been dire. This is really a great sci-fi show and I’ll be there for season 2!

14. miria says:

Is this article helpful? Nope, not at all! But I’ll cling to the hope for renewal, until it’s officially announced it’s not getting one.

15. Elaine says:

This show has gotten better over time. I have fingers crossed it will return!

16. Damian says:

This show is a plagiarism! The spanish show is better ! I recommend you the original one, El Ministerio del Tiempo (The department of time). Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan are not creators, they are just thieves!

17. Michael says:

Love the show, but I am still unclear about what Rittenhouse is actually trying to do.

18. Jake says:

In some of the commercials for this show, they have scenes of what appears to be Pearl Harbor in WWII, but they’ve never shown that episode?

19. William Cousert says:

Is Rittenhouse essentially the Timeless version of HYDRA?

20. Christopher Warwick says:

Instead of orchestrating an elaborate mission to the past to kill Garcia Flynn’s poor innocent mother, why not take him out in the present while he sits alone in an empty church? He was a sitting duck.

21. RachelC says:

LOVE Timeless and love Kripke. I can’t wait for Season 2!