Cosplay Melee Syfy Yvette Nicole Brown Judges

Syfy to Launch Cosplay Competition Series Hosted by Yvette Nicole Brown

So you think you can cosplay? Syfy will see about that.

The network is launching a new reality competition series, Cosplay Melee, that pits the world’s best costume performers against one another each week for a $10,000 prize. Community alum Yvette Nicole Brown will host the series, which debuts Tuesday, March 21 at 10/9c.

Melee looks to be following the formula of Syfy’s hit special-effects makeup competition Face Off, currently in its eleventh season. Each episode, four world-class cosplayers will go head-to-head, creating not just full-body costumes, but also original characters that they bring to life through performance. They’ll be judged by a panel that includes Hollywood costume creator Christian Beckman (The Hunger Games) and famous cosplayer LeeAnna Vamp.

“Cosplay is passion, artistry, engineering and theater all rolled into one,” Syfy senior vice president Heather Olander said in a statement. “At the intersection of the maker world and fandom, the incredible artists of Cosplay Melee will blow your minds with their transformational creations.”

Does Cosplay Melee sounds like your sci-fi nerdy cup of tea? Hit the comments with your first impressions.

1. Luis Roman says:

When do they start broadcasting turtle races?

2. Haz says:

I wish they would have brought back Geeks Who Drink. I really enjoyed it and Zachary Levi was a pretty decent host.

3. AngelWasHere says:

Hmm….why not just let Face Off do a cosplay challenge with real cosplayers. A whole show about this may not work.

4. Ron says:

Hmm, I love Yvette so I’ll check it out. But not sure how I feel about it. However, I’ve said this many times, and I’ll say it again: I’m waiting for someone to put together a show co-hosted by Yvette and Retta where they talk about the week in TV and fangirl out. Those two are TV obsessed (as am I) and I would totally watch them in that kind of format. Similar to The Soup, but with less snark, though still humor-infused opinions of shows.

5. readenreply says:

“My Own” Face Off?

6. Dani says:

So it is not like Face Off where a contestant gets eliminated each week. It is more like Chopped than Top Chef where there is a different set each week? I hope the contestants are more amateurish than actual industry professionals because it wouldn’t really be cosplay if real costume designers are competing.

7. Turtle says:

If ever there was an idea that called for cancellation before even a pilot is made

8. keniri says:

I wish SyFy would stop ripping off fandom just to get more people to watch their pathetic cable station. Reminds of all the high school kids who started buying Sailor Moon backpacks because they considered it a fashion statement, a status symbol.

9. Audrey says:

This sounds like a show that was on another network featuring the same sort of idea with a Steampunk theme. It was OK but with other shows to watch it got lost on my list. However, I do really like Yvette Nichole Brown. I loved her as a special guest on the Talking Dead. As another commentor said, I’d watch her as show host commenting on shows viewed during the week.

10. kaytlyn says:

Is there a way to nominate people for this???