The Big Bang Theory Renewed

The Big Bang Theory Eyes Huge Two-Season Renewal Deal at CBS

Well, this should carry us at least through Sheldon and Amy’s wedding night.

CBS is thisclose to renewing The Big Bang Theory for Seasons 11 and 12. In fact, executive producer Bill Prady confirms on his Facebook page that the deal is “actually done.”

CBS has thus far declined comment.

Over the weekend, Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons offered an optimistic assessment of contract talks, telling Sunday Today‘s Willie Geist, “I know that everybody wants to [return]. So I would be shocked if that didn’t happen. I really would be.”

Negotiations had been underway between CBS and Warner Bros. on a potential 11th season. The first hurdle was getting the principal cast to extend their own deals beyond Season 10. Per Deadline, the original quintet of Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar will more or less maintain their current $1 million-an-episode salary under the terms of the new deal.

1. Azerty says:

The biggest surprise is that everybody wants to return. After 10 years, popular shows have a tendency to lose some of the main cast (looking at Grey’s Anatomy or NCIS that are about the same age as Big Bang) but I am delighted that BBT didn’t lose anybody yet. (the big fat check might help with that).

• AB says:

A million a week is pretty good. Also let’s not kid ourselves, who among these do you see making it big again on another show that pays them that much? Parsons for example is already gonna be remembered as Sheldon forever. He might as well milk it.

• Patrick says:

Kaley could maybe become a movie star, if she’s lucky (lots of TV stars haven’t made that jump), but she’s been in the business forever. Heck, she got this job after the original actress didn’t work out. She seems like she’s ready to wind it down and just enjoy being obscenely rich. Another near 50 million for 2 more years.

• Brock Hard says:

I don’t see her making the jump to movies. Kaley’s just playing herself in this show, in anything else I’ve seen her in she’s serviceable at best.

• Jon says:

Most popular sitcoms peak around season 5. Seinfeld Frasier etc . i understand how they milk these great shows .money. Don’t even get me started on The Simpsons. I don’t even considered that the same show not for the last 10 years anyway.

• Coop says:

Eh, I think it’s hard to compare working on dramas and comedies. I tend to think working on a comedy like BBT would be much easier/less draining than something like NCIS, Grey’s Anatomy, Criminal Minds, etc.

2. Peter Allan Ker says:

I think it should have 13 Seasons and thus become the Longest Running Modern Sitcom.

• wmjindsm says:

You don’t count The Simpsons and South Park?

• Chris says:

Or it’s always sunny ? It’s already been renewed through season 14

• Coop says:

It’s Always Sunny remains the most underappreciated comedy series of it’s time. In fact, it’s in the middle of a great season. Haven’t watched last night’s episode yet, but some of my favorite episodes of all-time have happened this year (Gang Turns Black, Water Park, Hero or Hate Crime?).

If you told me I could only watch It’s Always Sunny and The Office for the duration of my life, I’d be fine with it.

3. 51 Cards says:

There should be an expire date on all series…no more than six seasons. Ever. For too many tv shows, plots get stale or reused, characters should mature but they don’t (ahem, Raj, ahem), and by the end they’ve lost the goodwill of their audience. See also: Castle, CSI, NCIS, Law & Order SVU.

4. Sarah J says:

I am afraid that a show I used to love may now be heading into HIMYM territory, creatively, with this long extension to an older show.

5. mrx says:

this show hasnt been funny for years, and can the blonde woman sleep at night knowing she gets paid 1 fkng million per episode for doing nothing? seriously wow, its such a chore to watch, but i think ill stop after this season

6. Billie says:

So no Ashton Kutcher version of Sheldon resulting in a new take on Leonard’s character (or vice versa)? Disappointing.

7. flowerduh says:

After the 12th season this show needs to end.

8. Hey, everyone’s still making money and having fun. Let the good times roll!

9. Bark Star says:

Nothing but Necrophilia. Just like The Simpsons.

• TV Gord says:

It’s so tired to point to the still-funny Simpsons. As long as they keep a steady turnover of writers, it remains funny. It’s just fashionable to slam it. I still look forward to watching it every week.

10. Tom E says:

They will be shooting this show with the cast in wheelchairs by the time it ends.

11. Coop says:

When the standard of ending a long-running comedy becomes “just don’t be as bad as HIMYM!”, it’s really tough to screw up. With that said, don’t screw it up! :)

12. R. Berger says:

Seldon must get the NOBEL-PRIZE!!!!!

13. tjchurch2001 says:

With the aid of syndication, one is able to (maybe can’t avoid) looking back at who earned that. (Friends & Sheen come to mind.) I simultaneously have the other “Bang” headline open from the main site-page, & I think they all deserve it.

Ironically, I have spent time today on this site reading & replying-to comments about another show losing viewers or assuredly ending after a character’s death. Therefore, my question is not if they have the money (worth it), but enough story to carry that many weeks. (Maybe pull a “Good Place”, & order less episodes for each season… Would likely get more fans doing more to watch!)

14. garmain says:

Stopped watching it when Bernard and Harold decided to have a ‘fetus’. That shark was one jump too many for me.