Outlander Sets Season 3 Premiere

Looks like Droughtlander is gonna last a wee bit longer than expected.

Outlander‘s third season will premiere in September, Starz announced Wednesday. The premium cabler did not provide an exact date for the series’ return.

September will be the latest point in the year that the drama has premiered. Season 1 bowed in August 2014, and Season 2 got its start in April 2016.

The 13-episode third season will feature episodes shot in Scotland and South Africa; the latter will stand in for Caribbean locales that show up in Diana Gabaldon’s third Outlander novel, Voyager.

All told, the final five episodes of the third season will be shot in South Africa.

Season 3 will begin with Claire’s difficulties upon returning through the stones to 1948, as her marriage to Frank deteriorates under the strain of her reappearance and her carrying Jamie’s child. In the 18th century, Jamie tries to rebuild his life after the devastating Battle of Culloden and Claire’s departure.

As the official release puts it, “Separated by continents and centuries, Claire and Jamie must find their way back to each other. As always, adversity, mystery, and adventure await them on the path to reunion. And the question remains: When they find each other, will they be the same people who parted at the standing stones, all those years ago?”

Additions to the historical drama’s Season 3 cast include Lauren Lyle as Laoghaire’s daughter, Marsali; César Domboy (Borgia) as the adult Fergus; Gary Young (The Shannara Chronicles) as Mr. Willoughby; Charlie Hiett as Capt. Thomas Leonard; Wil Johnson (Waking the Dead) as Claire’s friend Joe Abernathy; and John Bell (The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies) as Jamie and Claire’s nephew Young Ian.

In the video above, series stars Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan bid Scotland farewell and discuss what they’re looking forward to in South Africa.

“There’s sunshine, apparently. We don’t know what that is,” Heughan jokes, making fun of Scotland’s famously gloomy weather.

“We might get to ditch a few of these layers,” Balfe adds. (Well, of course — isn’t that what Mr. and Mrs. Frasier do best?)

Press PLAY on the video at the top of the post to hear the actors’ goodbyes, then hit the comments: Are you prepared to wait more than six more months for more Outlander?

1. klwilli78 says:

Nooooooooo! Too long!!

2. David says:

Damn that’s a long wait. Love this and such a huge/game changing ending to keep us waiting. More or less we’re stuck like Jamie and Claire waiting….

3. Audrey E. says:

Wee bit longer my behind. Damn groundhog. I thought it was supposed to be 6 more weeks of winter not 6 more months of the Droughtlander!

4. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Son of a b___! Why do they do this to us?

5. ekolint48 says:

Whyyyy?!!!

6. SM says:

I guess I’m the minority: I will wait as long as it takes for them to do it right! I would rather they not rush things just to get it on tv sooner.

7. PJnGA says:

Noooooooooooooooooo…you’re killing me!!! September??? ugh….

8. marianne says:

If the new season is as good (or better!) as the last two, I’ll take a deep breath and just steel myself to wait…it’ll be hard, I know, but better a season 3 a little late than no season 3 at all.

• Danielle Thomas says:

Is editing going to work some kind of magic? They have already filmed all the episodes except five of them. What is going to make the episodes better than if they premiered in April like last year?

9. Alichat says:

September! Damn. I guess it makes sense since only a week or two ago they were filming scenes in Edinburgh that would be part of the first few episodes in the season. Perhaps editing hasn’t started or isn’t complete in those eps from the first half of the season, so April would be hard to accomplish. I wonder if moving it to Sept fits the season more cleanly into the Emmy window?

• Danielle Thomas says:

Per Starz they only have 5 more episodes to film and then they are finished.

• Alichat says:

Yes the last 5 are being filmed in South Africa, which is where the cast is heading now. Filming doesn’t mean complete. There’s editing, scoring, reshoots if needed, ADR, CGI, etc. The point I was making was perhaps they don’t have enough eps 100% complete to start airing in April, which is when most fans were hoping it would begin.

• Danielle Thomas says:

This was a business decision on the part of Starz. Their new show American Gods will premiere in Outlander’s place in April. In respect to editing, scoring, and etc., most if not all shows are not completely finished filming when they are aired. This is common practice.

10. At some point, people will just stop caring about this show no matter how good it is; and just tune out! The producers, studios and network are getting too cocky on how they deal with the viewing public.

• Danielle Thomas says:

This is so true. They need to take the fans in consideration. I don’t know about most people but if a show is gone for an extended amount of time, I forget about it and don’t go back.

• Sarah says:

Ever heard of a little show called Sherlock? Fans wait YEARS between seasons, just for 3 episodes. If the material is good enough and it has a loyal enough fan base, fans will wait. Diana has spent 20+ years building up the Outlander fan base. Fans continue to show up every few years when the new books come out. They’ll show up in September, too.

• militantgod says:

Sherlock is basically a mini-series, starring a megastar actor. I highly doubt Cumberbatch has time to do it every year so people should be happy to get it whenever they can. What is happening to Outlander is more along the lines of The Sopranos (and other HBO shows), only it is watched by far lesser people.

• Donna T says:

Yes she did, but sadly left a lot of fans waiting an incredible length of time for the final book. Unfortunately, it had more story line on every character but Claire and Jamie and left us all kind of deflated.

11. Christine M says:

Of course I’ll wait…I’m totally devoted. But…WWAAHHHHHHH! Jamie looks adorable in a tri-corn.

12. Carolyn Bridge says:

Bull… entirely too long….may not watch… football starts in September

13. Dietrich Buxtehude says:

September is a brilliant move. Summer is over and most people are spending more time indoors. This is Outlander’s opportunity to grab viewers looking for something new to watch and who will help get the show into the Zeitgeist.
    If this show were on HBO or SHOtime, instead of Starz, the amount of viewers would be double if not triple their size.
    Starz is finally coming to it’s corporate senses by moving the show to Sunday’s and airing Season 3 at a time when it can garner both the most critical and public attention it so richly deserves.
    Another suggestion for Starz: stop showing each episode so many times per week. They are defusing the ” specialness” of the show and it plays havoc with ratings. I often wonder if Starz gathers these millions of viewers into an aggregate formula to determine an exact number…

• I for one WATCH most of those encore showings (just as I reread the books over & over again). Though I wish they were back on Saturday night when I can sleep in the next morning after watching the new episode for the 4th time. Sunday & September puts OUTLANDER up against the NFL and there are many men watching this as well as us female football fans – Sam Heughan vs. Clay Matthews – hard choice.

14. Doris says:

Why in the world do we have to wait until September! That is way too long.

15. Elizabeth says:

Here’s what I need to know…how many episodes do I have to endure before they’re reunited? When they started season 2 without Jamie I actually cried when he finally showed up on screen.

16. Selena Kleinen says:

Yes I would wait as long as it takes.Just wish it was sooner than September.

17. vkpretz says:

$16 a month for Starz Network where the only thing we watch is Outlander is getting pretty Steep for 13 episodes split in half with another 5 months in between part 1 and 2…What kind of fools do they think we are? THIS is ridiculous! I am a HUGE fan of Outlander but I feel like we are being taken advantage of with the high cost to see a program and all of the delays…

18. ninergrl6 says:

UGH September?! I like watching Outlander in the spring so much better than the fall. Oh well. Guess I should start book 4.

19. Danielle Thomas says:

I just found out why Outlander is premiering at a later date. A new show called American Gods premiers on Starz in April in Outlander’s place.

20. Wendy Musgrave says:

Oh my! 6 MORE MONTHS! The wait and anticipation will build intense excitement. I will keep reading and binging!

21. B B says:

I too look forward to season 3 but may I humbly suggest all of the fans read the series starting from the beginning! This is a series you’ll never forget:)

22. Liz says:

I guess we have to wait but it ticks me off. I was getting excited that we only had two wait a couple of months for the return. Then after all that waiting we only get thirteen episodes. No good!😤😡😓

23. Arlene Ethridge says:

I wish they could give us half of series 3 and the last half in Sept. That would be ideal!

24. Everittnc says:

Seriously! ??? Why so long? I’m thinking maybe they are trying to line up/compete with major network premiers.

25. Maria Knutson says:

Boo! We have waited so long for the next season!! I’m watching season 2 yet again to ease the pain of waiting for season 3. Not happy 😠

26. Kathleen says:

dont know how many more reruns of season 1 & 2 before another is unplayable and i have to buy another set, but i will until season 3 in september satisfies my addiction. The waiting is cruel, but i have 1 & 2 to ease the pain.

27. fotbollströjor barn \n This is a beautiful photo with very good light-weight fotbollstrojor sverigen :-D|

28. D Deguire says:

Absolutely love the Outlander series, can hardly wait for the return!!