Jawbreaker TV Reboot E! Series Adaptation

'90s Teen Film Jawbreaker Getting a Series Reboot at E!

E! is going back to (’90s high) school: The network is developing a series reboot of the 1999 teen film Jawbreaker.

The new project is an hour-long scripted series, our sister site Deadline reports, based on the pitch-black cult hit that starred Rose McGowan, Rebecca Gayheart and Julie Benz as status-obsessed teens whose prank turns deadly. The E! reboot will feature a clique of Beverly Hills friends who are forced to keep a terrible secret after a bachelorette party gone wrong.

Darren Stein, who wrote and directed the original film, is on board to co-write and executive-produce the reboot, along with George Northy (Faking It).

This reimagining of Jawbreaker is, of course, just the latest reboot to be announced for the small screen. With its dark tone and teen setting, Jawbreaker was often compared to 1988’s Heathers — which is being revived as a TV series by TV Land. And McGowan’s former TV home Charmed is getting a ’70s-set re-do at The CW, although that’s been shelved until at least 2018.

Are you exciting for a Jawbreaker reboot? And who should star in it? Hit the comments with your early casting ideas.

1. LK says:

I don’t recall the movie being very good.. why do we need this?

• Steven says:

I love this movie. “I killed Liz. I killed the teen dream. Deal with it.” Some great one liners.

• dude says:

It’s got some great lines and is DARK for a teen movie but having recently re-watched it for the first time in about 15 years, it makes no sense. The story has plot holes you could drive a truck through and is incredibly lazy.

2. Christian says:

If they’re going this route, why didn’t they pick up the Cruel Intentions series? E! Is s part of the NBC Universal family.

3. Novat says:

“I killed Jawbreaker. I killed the teen film. Deal with it” – E!

4. Caitlin Lopez says:

I’m only on board if the ORIGINAL cast members come back and play their characters again. They were the reasons why I loved the movie.

5. Agent 86 says:

And Xena: Warrior Princess! Don’t forget NBC’s reboot of Xena: Warrior Princess, even if it currently appears to be languishing in development h3ll.

Of course, a limited mini-series revival of Xena: Warrior Princess would be preferred. Much like all of these “reboots”, the reluctance to have any form of connection to the original is perplexing. Especially when for many of the properties, including Xena and Charmed, it would be relatively easy to connect them due to the fantastical premise of the series.

6. TiredofTripe says:

Didn’t this film score a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes when it was released?

7. Olivia says:

OMG this movie, I was a teen… (feeling old, don’t mind me)

Also what’s with all the reboots? Have series creators forgotten how to CREATE lately or…?

• dude says:

Do you really think series creators are the ones who are commissioning these? Do you not think writers would rather create their own original works than rehashing someone else’s? Writers and executive producers are not in charge of these reboots, the networks are because it’s easier to slap some name recognition on a pilot and get instant media attention.

8. Anne says:

That’s cool. I mean, it would be cooler if some women were involved with its development (showrunner and/or writers). Getting kinda tired of men creatin/handling these “seminal” girl stories.

9. A fan of TV says:

But this was a terrible movie!! Honestly, terrible, as an adjective, does not even do real justice to describe how truly terrible it really was. Hard pass.

10. Ray says:

I don’t think the movie was any good, but I still remember the scene with the girls walking down their high school’s hallway to imperial teen’s “Yoo Hoo.” Classic.

11. QueenB says:

I love Jawbreakers!!! Darren writing and directing makes this a must watch series for me hoping one or more of the original cast appear

12. Sam says:

The new charmed should be about the charmed ones children and the future of the power of three with all of the charmed ones children.any other way is going to be stupid.