Lucifer Season 3 Renewed

Lucifer Renewed for Season 3 at Fox

Here’s some hella good news: Fox’s Lucifer has earned an early Season 3 renewal, for 22 episodes.

As such, it is thus far only the second Fox drama to secure a pickup for the 2017-18 TV season, following the mighty Empire‘s recent Season 4 order. (On the comedy front, The Simpsons and Bob’s Burgers are locked in for next season.)

“Lucifer is one of those rare shows that starts strong out of the gate, and just keeps getting better and better,” said Fox Broadcasting entertainment chief David Madden in a statemament “Tom [Ellis], Lauren [German] and the entire cast have really made these characters three-dimensional, and the production team – Jerry [Bruckheimer], Len [Wiseman], Jonathan [Littman], Joe [Henderson] and Ildy [Modrovich] — is one of the best in the business.”

Lucifer opened its sophomore run with 4.4 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating, and for the season has quite steadily hovered around 3.8 mil and a 1.1 (which is precisely what it’s winter finale posted). With those numbers, the supernatural dramedy builds on lead-in Gotham‘s average audience (3.5 mil) while matching its demo number.

Following this protracted midseason break, Lucifer resumes Season 2 on Monday, May 1, when the murder of an up-and-coming guitarist causes MIA Lucifer to resurface – with a new mystery woman on his arm. Meanwhile, Charlotte realizes she may have found a way to finally get the fam back to Heaven.

Want scoop on Lucifer, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. kate says:

Yay!! Fox probably noticed it was becoming one of its more social media discussed shows.

• Superwoman says:

Seems like overall audience does count in some small way even though demo is the most important. I’m glad the FOX exec mentioned how Lucifer always grows in audience from Gotham. I often wondered if that’s something the network would consider when deciding renewal.
      2nd drama renewed after Empire…that is incredible news. May as well forgive FOX for making us wait till May for the show to return.

2. Daya says:

Most of the reason I watch is because of Tom’s cute self, so I’m excited! <3

3. kmw says:

Good for FOX This show has been very steady for them and FOX needs that

4. Kevin says:

Now that Lucifer has been renewed for another season, what should Fox do about the fate of shows like Gotham, 24: Legacy, New Girl, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Scream Queens, Sleepy Hollow, Rosewood, APB and Lethal Weapon among others.

5. Marcy says:

Like there was any doubt! It’s the most popular show that Fox has. I’m happy! I get to see Tom Ellis! It’s a good day!

6. Patrick says:

Congratulations to Lucifer. I don’t watch the show (schedule too full on that night), but I am thrilled for the show and its fans that they will get more of a program they enjoy. Renewals are almost always a good thing.

• TraciWalters says:

You watch live tv in 2017? All shows are available to watch at your leisure year round on on demand, Hulu, Netflix, amazon, dvr, etc Lucifer is a very good show. Maze is hilarious

• Tai says:

I live watch Lucifer. It’s one of the few shows that I do. My roommate and I have our “date” night surrounding Monday night tv and Lucifer is one of the shows we cannot miss.

• Patrick says:

My tv schedule is just too full. When Luci first came on, my Mondays were just packed. Mid season premiers are really bad for me, because my college basketball viewing takes precedent over every single thing on TV for me. I had a full DVR, and numerous weeking shows I already time shifted. I just couldn’t add another show that I wasn’t passionate about. And I wasn’t passionate about Luci. Not even enough to sample it. That doesn’t make it a bad show. Nor even a show I had no interest in. I just didn’t have enough interest in it. Smallville and Gilmore Girls were the same for me. I didn’t watch them when they first came on the air, but I discovered them in syndication and eventually caught up, and then watched them live. Time willing, I think Luci will fall into this same category for me.

• Iris says:

And yet only live numbers count for networks, because that’s how they get money from their advertisers. So we can thank people with a Nielsen box who watched live in 2016-2017 for this renewal.

• Art Marko says:

Most networks use Nielsen’s Live Plus service to track ratings. Live Plus looks at who watched shows on their DVRs within different time frames. Generally, it tracks three major categories: Live-Plus-Same-Day, Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven. Each one looks at a broader timeframe, so Live-Plus-Same-Day looks not only at who was watching when the show aired, but also who watched the show that day and the next. Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven track who watched within three and seven days of the original airing, respectively. When Nielsen first rolled out its Live Plus service, network executives were uncertain, but it’s become an industry standard.

• Temperance says:

I don’t think I watch anything live. And, yes, Leslie-Ann is fantastic as Maze (as are the writers that give her the material).

• Chloe says:

You’re so right about Maze!!! Everyone is great but she’s the best!

7. Butch says:

I wonder if since the show won’t be back until May if they will hold some episodes produced this season for next fall. Seems they would be running new episodes through June if they don’t.

• Westen says:

Basing it off imdb when Gotham airs it’s season finale June 12th Lucifer will have 2 more episodes after that week so my guess is back to back episodes the following week.

8. Yesenia balli says:

The Lucifer show is an awesome show I enjoy it me and my husband don’t miss an episode it’s exciting and always bring something different to the table keep up the good work

9. msuehale says:

This is great news on the renewal of Lucifer.

10. Iris says:

YES YES YES YES YES HELL FRAKKING YEAH
    *ahem*
    So glad to see the most hilarious, entertaining gem on TV renewed.

11. Rachel says:

Hell yeah!

12. Barb says:

Yes!! Great news indeed.

13. Edna says:

Great news. The writing has been so good this season.

14. PatriciaLee says:

Whew!!!

15. Billy meacham says:

Hopefully Gotham is renewed so they can keep Gotham and lucifer back to back on Monday nights.

16. Erin B says:

Yay! I was worried that with the long break the ratings would go down, & it would be canceled. So glad it’s coming back no matter what. It truly is a great ensemble. The scenes from the last episode showing the group effort to save Chloe was fantastic.

17. Mary Kelly says:

I love Lucifer…so happy it has been renewed for season 3…but I hate this time with NO Lucifer till May 1st!!

18. Couch Mom says:

YAY! Now waiting on the fate of Gotham and Rosewood. Kinda disappointed with Sleepy Hollow this season and I am a 24 purest – can’t get past 24 without Jack, although I do watch Keifer on Designated Survivor.

19. Anne says:

YAy!!!!!! I love this show

20. Craiger says:

Cool! I saw the pilot but didn’t watch the rest of season one for some reason. I just got back into it this season. The characters and cast are great. I wonder if in Season 3 Chloe, Dan and Ella will know who Lucifer and his family really are? I think that could that could add even more funny moments to the show.

21. Joey Padron says:

So happy about the news! Thank you Fox for renewing the show for another season. It’s a great show and season 2 been great so far!

22. andy says:

so let me guess. start at end of october, break from december to january, break from beginning of february until may and run through to end of july? only people worse at scheduling are the bbc with doctor who (18 month gaps they only admit to in the 13th month!)

also how is lethal weapon not already renewed?

23. Superwoman says:

This is incredible news…I love that show and the cast is incredible

24. Polly says:

YES! YES! YES! YES!

25. Susan says:

Love the show,love the cast tom is hot he does have a great sense of humor with his little digs

26. Grngrl says:

Yeah. Best show on FOX REPLACING BONES POPULARITY.

27. Thank goodness! I enjoy this show a lot. And Tom Ellis needs to stay on my screen for a long time.

28. Zoe says:

29. Temperance says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Lucifer is one of the best written shows out there, and the cast is outstanding. It might not be every person’s cup of tea, but it is excellent TV.

30. Great news! This is a show that will get stronger. I’m sure the cast is celebrating!

31. This is awesome news. Congrats to the showrunners and writers for creating characters with depth and to the cast for their brilliant work. Applause all around.

32. Ray says:

I’m glad the show has been renewed, but would’ve been happier with a 13-15 episode count. Quality improves with a smaller order.

33. DarkDefender says:

This makes me happy.

34. ZinniQ says:

Excellent, I love this show, and Tom..

35. Jake says:

Loved this show from the first, glad to see its being renewed.

36. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Yay! Fox is not being dumb for once.

37. Kim says:

This is very exciting news! So looking forward to see Lucifer on my TV screen again next season.

38. Why is it on break after about three shows after Christmas?

39. Jeannette says:

Yahoo on Lucifer getting another season. I so enjoy this series!
    Thanks FOX Network.

40. Teresa says:

I want lucifer back, that is my favorite show

41. mooshki says:

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

42. Pamela Wolfe says:

Great show, my favorite. So glad it was renewed. Glad FOX realized what a winner it was.

43. Lucy Barr says:

Love this show – glad it’s been renewed

44. Amanda says:

I really look forward to each new episode, love the humor, and how it subtly knocks the PC culture of Hollywood. I must admit I was a bit disappointed in the sudden, out of nowhere insertion of male sex partners for Lucifer. Seems like they threw it in there for no reason, gave in to that pressure. I could care less, having been tgere, done that, it actually makes sense that Lucifer would come to earth without any preconceived bias, and a thirst to experience everything. However, not one time in the first season did we see any bi behavior. Just seems gratuitous. What’s next?

45. swan swan agustina says:

I love this film, love tom ellis too.. can’t wait for season 3

46. swan swan agustina says:

Tom ellis –> The Next James bond
    Hella yessss….

47. Peter Parker says:

I would just like to stand and applaud the writers directors and of course the cast and any one else who had any input in the making of Lucifer for me it is one if not the best television i have ever watched i just love the show the characters every thing about it bring on season 3 cant wait again well done to you all

48. Nagasumii says: