Veterans Group Using SNL Ad Buy to Confront President Trump

A veterans group is hoping to get President Donald Trump‘s attention during this weekend’s Saturday Night Live.

VoteVets, which is described as a progressive political action committee backed by more than 500,000 veterans, military family members and their supporters, has bought commercial airtime during Saturday’s Alec Baldwin-fronted SNL, furthering its efforts to try and convince POTUS not to abolish the Affordable Care Act.

The pointed commercial (embedded below) first aired during the Feb. 6 edition of MSNBC’s Morning Joe. It begins with a close-up of a veteran doing squats with a heavy barbell. As the camera pulls back, it reveals he only has one leg, the other having been amputated above the knee. During his workout, the vet’s voiceover reads the following message aloud:

President Trump, I hear you watch the morning shows. Here’s what I do every morning. Look, you lost the popular vote, you’re having trouble drawing a crowd and your approval rating keeps sinking. But kicking thousands of my fellow veterans off their health insurance by killing the Affordable Care Act, and banning Muslims, won’t help. That’s not the America I sacrificed for. You want to be a legitimate president, sir? Then act like one.

The group first announced its intent to reach Trump — who seldom seems to miss NBC’s “not funny,” “really bad” SNL —  in a series of tweets:

Press PLAY on the anti-Trump spot above, then tell us if you think VoteVets is putting its money to good use.

1. Wordsmith says:

People are starting to figure out that the only way to talk to our President is through his aptly-named idiot box.

2. Angela says:

That last line. Amen.
    Awesome ad. Short and sweet and to the point.

3. Brian says:

I’m seriously wondering if Trump is going to respond with some nonsense like “if he was a real soldier he wouldn’t have lost his leg” similar to his McCain POW remark.

4. Jt says:

Maybe they could spend the money they wasted on this commercial actually providing coverage for the veterans they pretend to support.

• Joey says:

I’m sorry, I don’t believe I can see what I assume is an attached works cited post that actually verifies the claim you’re making.

• peterwdawson says:

A few points:
      – The video isn’t just about veterans who need coverage but the Muslim Ban
      – Getting vets sufficient medical coverage still lives translators and other volunteers who risked their lives in hostile countries potentially screwed by said ban, said volunteers and translators effectively being vets themselves
      – Throwing money at the problems facing the VA won’t be an instant fix for staffing and resource issues
      – The amount of resources they need is paltry compared to those consumed this commercial, which is aimed at getting even more resources moving
      – The ACA, which the video supports, goes beyond veterans in the first place to all americans who need help, thus defending the rights of the American people like a good soldier would

5. Tomm Huntre says:

Aaaaaand this crap is why I quit SNL.

• Angela says:

1. You realize this isn’t an actual SNL skit, but an ad that will air during the commercial break for tonight’s episode, right?
      2. What exactly is “crap” about this ad?

6. Jim says:

As a veteran, I would like to know where this group was when Obama and his administration were mishandling the VA hospital mess? I smell a political agenda and not real concern from this so-called veterans group.

• Ron says:

I am not a veteran, so I don’t want to overstep, but I do have a lot of respect for our vets. However, what I’ll say is since you’re a veteran, I think it is highly distasteful of you to call your fellow brothers and sisters “so-called veterans.” Yes, I understand you’re specifically referring to the group, but it is still you calling the “so-called veterans” as they’re the ones involved in the group. There are millions of vets in this country, so obviously you all won’t always agree politically. But I’m just shocked and, honestly, appalled that you would essentially spit on the service and sacrifice of your brothers and sisters by calling them “so-called” veterans.

7. Gotta Leive says:

When did “Freedom of Speech” become such an embarrassment to our country? Maybe Freedom to engage your mind is the real problem. Stop letting the Dummycats push you around.

8. Janice Kruse says:

God bless you, thank you for your service, and continuing to fight for Amercia.

9. Hc Drake says:

In the less than 30 days he has been in office he has refused to meet this particular group of veterans. I wonder if they tried to contact him before election? Vets are very important but you may want to let him get his cabinet in place. I don’t think anyone has lost insurance yet. They have not even announced a program. I hope vets get everything they deserve for protecting our country from all radicals.