Lena Dunham Today Show

Lena Dunham Drops P-Bomb on Today, Freaks Maria Shriver the F Out

Prepare to witness the latest in a (very) long line of awkward Today show moments.

During an interview with Lena Dunham — in support of the final season of Girls, premiering Sunday at 10/9c on HBO — Maria Shriver on Friday mentioned that she enjoyed watching the first three episodes of the show’s last run. That brief interaction is as far as the ladies got before everything fell apart.

“You saw a penis, right?” Dunham inquired.

“Well, I saw more than that,” a stunned Shriver responded, as nervous laughter began to surface. “You caught me there for a second. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to say that on television.”

“I won’t be coming back!” Dunham joked. “Going out with a bang!”

At one point, after Dunham attempted to graciously exit the interview, Shriver turned to Matt Lauer for support: “Help, she just threw me off! … That’s the difference between generations. I wasn’t brought up talking like that.”

Watch the awkward interaction below, then drop a comment: What the heck happened here?

1. Sam says:

Wow, it says a lot about the state of journalism when an anchor can’t even hear the word “penis” without being totally thrown off.

• Auntie Vyris says:

Shriver isn’t an actual “journalist”, is she?

• Paull Cudak says:

usually not a discussion during daytime TV. But it figures with how uncouth Gen-x/y’s are.
      A time & place for everything

• Gayymer says:

Despite being a Kennedy, I think Maria is alright. Penis isn’t a dirty word, she could have just kept moving. Why wouldnt it be ok to say that on tv? Why hasnt anyone called Anderson Cooper a talentless hack because his mom is famous and they come from money? Anyway. Lena is gross.

• Racklefratz says:

There’s no “journalism” in today’s pop culture, so forget looking for it. That kind of language does say a lot about the lack of decency and propriety with young people, however. They didn’t learn at home about things you don’t do in decent society, so to them, it’s “do anything you want, and screw anyone who doesn’t like it”. It’s pretty pathetic.

• Angela says:

And yet portions of this country just elected a man who does all of those things you claim only young people do.
        What’s with the negative stereotyping of young people here, seriously? Age is not an automatic indicator of maturity and decency.

• Sammy says:

Yeah, but obama isn’t president anymore…

• albert8184 says:

Yeah… but normally you would deride those people for being prudes, not libertines. Normally you associate conservatives with repression and Victorianism, right?

• Victor Laslo says:

‘Portions of the country’. Lol! Liberals just can’t accept the fact that Trump won. Always trying to diminish it. Take a look at the map. Trump won the whole country EXCEPT California and New York and only then failed to win their electoral votes. He still won portions of those states!

Trump won democrat stronghold states and governor spots for states that haven’t seen anything but dems in generations. Michigan, Pennsylvania, even Wisconsin. Never seen that in my life.

‘portions of the country’. Yeah, as in, almost all if you exclude elite liberal LaLa land NYC.

I agree with your point about stereotyping youth, though. You’re on the right track, but you’ve got a long way to go concerning your views and perceptions about your own word choice, the election and probably Trump in particular.

Pull away from the media mantras. Instead: Think. Reason. Deduct. That brain of yours is working fine, just needs a little bit more space to work on its own away from the drumbeat of media manipulation. Trust yourself.

• Christopher says:

Dump lost the popular vote by more than 3 million votes, has zero mandate, and the lowest approval ratings ever achieved by a president this early in his term.

• liame says:

When will the brainwashing stop. This cult mentality you trumpets endure on a daily is damaging your young ones.

• Drew says:

She’s not a journalist,she’s Kennedy clan lifetime member. Caroline got an ambassidorship for the same weak reason.

• Comediastic says:

Anderson Cooper is pretty much a World Class Moron. Gay son of Gloria Vanderbuilt. I’m sure no one who needs the work could do that job.

• JRC says:

No, it just shows you how crude and classless many people are today. When you have little or nothing to contribute to a meaningful intelligent conversation this is how you do it..

• Tom in Texas says:

Yep

• luxomni says:

Imagine if she ever saw one!

• jack craig says:

It really does. Even the anchor was embarassed by the exchange. Its fine on late night TV but inappropriate for a daily news hour. Sam, you epitomize the liberal left morality.

• jack craig says:

It really does. Even the anchor was embarassed by the exchange. Its fine on late night TV but inappropriate for a daily news hour. Sam, you epitomize the liberal left lack of morality

• jksu2 says:

She probably hasn’t seen one in a while.

• Joe Brown says:

No, Maria was right being thrown off by that comment. That was garbage, and the gues should be fined by the FCC. That’s not journalism, that’s garbage. Only a gaf (oops spelled it backwards!) would think using that word in a public setting would be acceptable.

• Victoria says:

Fined??? Don’t you have a penis? Why can’t we say penis? Can they say vagina or breasts? We all have them. What’s the big deal? It’s not like she used a slang term or anything.

• Jimmy says:

I agree, a fine is not necessary. But, the issue is not the word, it’s the fact that Lena think it’s a big deal that a penis was shown. We all know that the “shock factor” is a big deal, but seeing a penis is not a shock anymore. Was it the focal point of those three episodes? If someone asked me I watched a few of your episodes and I answered yeah you must have saw that guy who picked his nose. I’d be so embarrassed of myself. My goal in those three episodes or however many episodes Maria watched was I wanted people to see a penis. Yes people im a genius!!! I’ve shown everyone a penis on my show. Is seeing this penis such a big deal in those episodes or is there something wrong with Lena?

I have no problem with Lena but that comment just comes across as weird. With that being said, ive not watched the interview. My opinion is based on the article. I have no problem talking about sex but I discuss it with my friends and people I know. But just to bring it up like that, out of the blue, weird!!!

• Jerri says:

Journalist or not, Shriver may be a prude or very religious because most of either of those groups wouldn’t want to hear the word “penis” in a daily conversation.

2. Steven says:

Our president has said far worse. This is sad.

• Rocco says:

… and then there’s Bill Clinton, who not only said it, he DID it, and was disbarred as a result. Sad AND too true.

• Vinkothebear says:

actually he was disbarred prior to becoming president and so was HRC

• Dee Moscoso says:

HRC’s law license lapsed in 2002. She was never disbarred. Bill’s license was temporarily suspended in Arkansas after the scandal but he was never disbarred.

• William Smith says:

@Dee. Facts are your friend. He was disbarred in 2001.

• Dee Moscoso says:

While Clinton can no longer practice law in front of the highest court, it’s not accurate to say that he was disbarred from either the Supreme Court or from practicing law in Arkansas. Clinton’s license was suspended in Arkansas, but he was not disbarred, and while Clinton did face the possibility of being barred from arguing in front the U.S. Supreme Court, he resigned before the ruling was handed down.

On his last day in office in 2001, Clinton agreed to a five-year suspension of his Arkansas law license in order to head off any criminal charges for lying under oath about his relationship with Lewinsky. Clinton has been eligible to seek reinstatement of his license since 2006, but as of 2013 he had not applied to do so.

Shortly after Clinton’s license was suspended in Arkansas, the U.S. Supreme Court suspended Clinton from presenting cases in front of the highest court (which he had never done) and gave him 40 days to contest his disbarment (which Clinton did not do). Instead, he resigned from the Supreme Court bar:

Former President Clinton, facing the possibility of being barred from practicing law before the U.S. Supreme Court because of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, has resigned instead, his lawyer said.

“Former President Clinton hereby respectfully requests to resign from the bar of this court,” his lawyer, David Kendall, said in a two-page letter to the high court’s clerk. Kendall did not elaborate on why Clinton decided to resign.

Clinton’s resignation from the Supreme Court bar will have little practical impact. Clinton has not practiced before the Supreme Court and was not expected to argue any cases in the future.

• ADStryker says:

Might just be a matter of semantics. I have read something very similar to what Dee posted, but even that fairly informative excerpt is unclear. The first sentence claims “it’s not accurate to say that he was disbarred” but then a few sentences down it says the Supreme Court “gave him 40 days to contest his disbarment.”

• Jimmy says:

Apparently bill resigned prior to being disbarred by the Supreme Court bar so he wasn’t actually disbarred. But this is similar to someone committing murder but committing suicide before the verdict.

• James K says:

Not on live television…this Lena lady is trash

• So have you and so have I, but NOT ON LIVE TV! What Trump said was in private to one person and was never meant for the public.

• Vinkothebear says:

But he is gone now

• Matt Brady says:

This is why I don’t watch TV and I don’t go to sporting events or movies. If you aren’t of my family you are the enemy.

• GozieBoy says:

He could say the same things about Dunham as he did Pig Lady O’Donnell and also be 100% correct.

• We had presidents do far worse, think blue dress! Yes, very sad.

• Angela says:

And his influence is all over this thread with the multiple nasty comments about Lena’s looks, evidently. Because apparently it’s way too hard for some people to discuss how much they dislike this woman without making horrible comments about her body in the process.
      See that “talk smart about TV” comment up above, commentators? Try doing that. Let’s leave the body-mocking comments out of this and grow up. Or, feel free to show photos of yourselves to be judged and mocked, since you seem to think that’s an okay I’ve got no stance on Lena one way or another myself, but my god, this comment section is embarrassing.

• Brigid says:

Nasty bullies right here. I bet most would chide their children for doing exactly what they as adults are doing right now. Hypocrites!

• Comediastic says:

Saddening. People can feel sad, or be saddened. Things, like “this”, do not have emotions.

3. Brian says:

I really thought you meant the other p-word. I don’t know why saying “penis” on TV even warrants an article.

4. writeriowa says:

Penis is the proper name for the body part. Good lord. Facts, apparently, are hard.

5. Kyle says:

Seriously?… what an idiot. It’s not about being from a different generation, it’s about not being a 5 year-old school kid when they hear a very common normal word for a male reproductive part. People are so immature and dumb.

• Heartland Patriot says:

The problem is that that even needed to be spoken of in the first place. I’m sure you think it’s just so awesome, though.

• Paul Wisely says:

It was immature to blurt “YOU SAW A PENIS RIGHT LOL” in the first place. It wasn’t that penis itself was inappropriate for usage, it was the context in which she used it. Dunham is just a gross person overall, disgusting!

• GozieBoy says:

Your last sentence at least is 100% accurate about the Dunham slob.

6. Chris says:

Hmm, I actually thought it was going to be the other “P Word”.

7. Adam says:

When I read that she said “P-word” I did not expect it to be penis. I could maybe understand a journalist being thrown off by a slang term but not the actual name of a body part.

8. joe says:

I thought it was going to be the other p word,

9. Corinne says:

Woman has stroke on the air at the mere mention of genitalia.

10. Haz says:

Is anyone surprised? Having someone as vile and crass as Dunham on I’m surprised worse was not said. Thank God her 15 minutes are almost up!

• Mary says:

She is the female version of Trump, so I guess you find him vile and crass right. Seriously saying the word penis is not the end of the world. In fact I always used the proper terminology when my kids were younger, never understood why others didn’t.

11. jk3 says:

Penis is quite possibly the tamest word for male genitalia. I imagine that if she would have said c*ck, NBC would have gone dark to mourn Maria’s paasing from shock.

12. Billy Bob Johnson says:

What is this, the 1950s??? If she had said the other p-word, I could understand a mention, but ‘penis’??? What are you, third graders?

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

P.S. I cannot WAIT for Dunham to exit the stage when her show ends. She is just one pretentious, unfunny, “I’m what women should be” people in Hollywood.

• heartpursuer says:

Jack Paar told an over-long joke about a water closet (toilet) which NBC censors cut, leading him to walk off The Tonight Show for a month. How mores have shifted.

13. Brigid says:

What else would you call it? Seriously. It’s not a derogatory term, it’s a scientific term. That’s ridiculous. Come on Maria!

14. Ron says:

Much like everyone else, I thought it was going to be the other p-word. Of course you can say penis on any form of television. It’s a technical, medical term. I actually do have a lot of respect for Maria Shriver, but her reaction was quite ridiculous. Plus, as a Kennedy, she need not be acting holier than thou. Her family has actually done worse in public. And let’s not forget her ex-husband… She’s been doing this long enough that she should’ve been able to recover much better if it really shook her that much.

15. Jimmy says:

Why is penis a bad word? It’s not like she said “dick” or “cock.”

16. JeffC says:

WhaaThaa….You can’t use “Dunham” and “Gracious” in the same sentence, and be taken seriously after that.

17. Josh Boo says:

Silly Liberals.

18. Mick says:

TV gets more and more vulgar.

19. cynccook says:

Dunham is a classless creep. Someone should tell her to sit up straight; it might make her appear less potato-like.

20. doctorfixit says:

Several degrees of disgusting at play here 3-dimensional barf-tastic with Lauer, Ahnuld’s Ex and the fat one.

21. dencal26 says:

Lena is vile

22. BobUSAFret says:

Seen it because it was in her mouth or mind.

23. Adp says:

Clearly running the “sex sells” playbook maybe ratings are down??

24. Traci says:

Lena Dunham is vile.

25. Vinkothebear says:

Now that she lost a bunch of weight because of her anorexia caused by President Trump.Lena was talking about she could now see her pecker again.

26. JS says:

Dunham is a disgusting pig.

27. Chas_M says:

No talent host and no talent guest. Glad I don’t watch either show.

28. Dee Moscoso says:

Oh my goodness! I am 70 years old and the word penis doesn’t make me fall off a cliff lolol Grow up Maria!

29. AnonTVAddict says:

Maria probably had never heard the word before because Arnold referred to it as his ‘Sperminator’. ;-) And Lena, she knew you couldn’t say that …. but then again, she is on HBO.

30. depressionbaby says:

I always thought that Rosie might have a penis.

31. Vinkothebear says:

How come Lena wasn’t wearing her vagina hat?

32. Matt Brady says:

Capital ‘C’ add ‘unt’

33. MHWC says:

Miss Schriver is a lady and Lena Dunham I don’t know what you would call her

34. Red Swartz says:

why would they have had this very sad, pathetic human on TV and not expect that she would do anything to get attention and show us just how low of a person she really is. A person who has self respect will not have to do what this “mutant” has done. She said Penis knowing it would get that exact attention and I am surprised she didn’t do a “Sharon Stone leg cross” following it. As far as I am concerned it is just another form of prostitution, where you have to sell the most valuable part of your self for sex or in this case attention. I hope I never have to look at her again. She isn’t worth it, her value is almost gone.

35. Steven says:

Dunham is a pig. Inside and out. Hate to talk badly about pigs.

36. Loren says:

That Dunham dude is weird.

37. Seems that liberals are obsessed with sex and self gratification.

• Angela says:

So people like Mark Sanford, Donald Trump, Arnold Scwartzenegger, Ted Haggard, Rush Limbaugh, David Vitter, Larry Craig, and Newt Gingrich, to name but a few, are liberals now? Go look up their sex scandals and how many times some of them have been married/had affairs and then try saying that again.

38. Johnny Argon says:

Hey Maria ,,, forget about the P word . You are sitting across from an admitted incestuous child molester , false rape accuser , who wants to get knocked up so she can slaughter her unborn child

39. p. armstrong says:

there ya go . two reasons to cut the cable.

40. Huma says:

I thought that Lena said she lost weight since Trump was elected?

41. Allie Foster says:

Lena Dunham is a disgusting piece of trash.

42. I thought she was supposed to have lost some weight?

43. Just had to end it on a crass, disrespectful note…. Standard Dunham trashy behavior.

44. Norma Stefanciosa says:

This is simply Dunham’s lame attempt at appearing to be hip and edgy. Supposedly she’s the voice of her generation. If that’s the case then I weep for ththe future.

45. Holdthe ProfanityFool says:

Isn’t this the reason you morons watch this crap?

46. I can’t stand this woman, Lena Dunham that is.

47. lightrider says:

There is NOTHING smart about TV. And screw your sister in law!!

48. Martha says:

Consider the source…This a statement about Lena Dunham…can only rely on shock-trash. No real talent or class.