Grey's Anatomy Renewed

Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and HTGAWM Renewed for 2017-18 Season

ABC is giving #TGIT fans three more reasons to TG, renewing Shondaland’s heaviest hitters — Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder — for next season.

The announcement was made Friday by ABC president Channing Dungey, who remarked that all three series “continue to keep viewers on the edge of their seats and wanting more. I’m thrilled to bring back these shows and the OMG moments that come with them.”

For those keeping score, this will bring Grey’s Anatomy‘s season total to 14, Scandal‘s to seven and HTGAWM‘s to four.

Which TGIT renewal has you most excited? Drop a comment below.

1. kmw says:

Not a surprise at all. This line up really works for ABC and I am glad fans of all these shows get another year

2. Yes, I’m thrilled about all of them! And is this the start of ABC’s mass renewals or are they saving that for another day? Please be before Upfronts.

3. jml says:

The bigger question is about episode orders. Obviously Grey’s will end up doing 24 like they always do, and Murder will do their standard 15, but what about Scandal? Shonda recently said that she wants to return to shorter seasons irrespective of Kerry’s pregnancy (i.e., Kerry’s pregnancy is not the only reason that they did 16 this year.) So I wonder when they will make that decision and how they will schedule the hour when Scandal is absent, since trying to use a non-Shonda show there worked *so* well for ABC this year (not.)

4. Eric7740 says:

TGIT!!! Just don’t make me wait till January 2018 for new Scandal!!! I need my Olivia Pope!!!

5. Andrew Hass says:

No surprise there that all 3 shows got renewed and now the shows can plan for next season.

6. Larc says:

Like anybody ever thought all 3 wouldn’t get renewed?

• Channing Dungey had made a rather snide comment about these shows not speaking to the public or something equally idiotic. Shonda seemed to keep a pretty tight lip about anything ABC that has been done since Dungey made that comment. I don’t think she appreciated it since they are (outside of the newbie survivor show) the network’s top dramas. Personally, I wasn’t feeling that Viola would want to renew her contract (it expires after this season).

7. iHeart says:

Grey’s is never going to end

• Pedro says:

I think it will tie ER for 15 seasons. 14th won’t be the last. Whenever Grey’s ends, there will be a farewell season.

• A fan of TV says:

Will probably beat ER, I think. And will be on the air as long as the current core three are interested/involved (Pompeo, Chambers, Wilson).

8. Kevin says:

Should ABC be thinking about ending Grey’s Anatomy sometime in the near future?

9. joe says:

Good to have all three back, I still watch htgwm still , Greys I bailed on years ago , ( the Ghost sex season, scandal , the whole first mistress story line ) still it’s good

• Bob Jones says:

Bloody . . . as I told Sam and Dean on Supernatural, their Dad was a Hallucination and not a Ghost when he was with Izzie . . . there is a difference :)

10. Real real me says:

Lovely early surprise :)

11. Angela says:

Woo! So happy to hear this news!

12. Mike says:

now the need to renew AOS

13. Luis Roman says:

At this point, isn’t it just Shonda telling ABC which shows to renew? Maybe she’ll make the decision on Agents of SHIELD, too.

14. carma says:

As far as I’m concerned, they ALL need to be cancelled. Worthless, inane trash with no redeeming value whatsoever! But this seems to be what people want–no morals, values or common decency.

15. carma says:

All the shows need to end; they’re baseless, moralistically comprised and just plain trash. The storylines are abysmal and lacking any substance. Talk about a hot mess! But, of course, it’s Shonda so she can do no wrong.

16. MattySi says:

I wish they were all set in the same universe and cross-overs could be done or something. Those would be epic.

17. Gerald says:

Only watch HTGAWM. It seemed the most questionable for renewal so that makes me super happy.

• dan says:

They’ll stick with HTGAWM for as long as ratings are decent, the show has buzz, and Viola wants to keep doing it (I’m thinking five years tops). The problem is that this season they’ve written themselves into a corner unless it turns out Wes isn’t really dead or the murderer turns out to be somebody we don’t care about (Simon or the Mahoneys). If its one of the regular cast members and Wes is really dead, then next year we have a whole new dynamic which may/may not work.

18. pickles says:

These shows have stagnant ratings. It would be nice to get something new and refreshing.

• KLS says:

The ratings have been reliable for Thursdays vs football in the Fall. Dungey is holding onto them until she can at least get some of her own “new and refreshing” shows going.

19. ToyCannon says:

Unless they resurrect Wes, HTGAWM is dead to me.

20. Peter Allan Ker says:

It will be interesting to have a Full Season of Fitzgerald Grant as the Former President.

21. Lisa Echerd says:

Happy about Grey’s and Scandal. HTGAWM is so depressing right now. I really don’t care if I stay current on it or not.

22. bluji says:

Love the news about HTGAWM. Season 3 has been amazing, really happy to see another season coming up!

23. Kar says:

Scandal needs to be canned

24. Marthann Kohl-Fuhs says: