Post Mortems
Scandal Recap

Scandal Star Reacts to [Spoiler]'s Killer Confession: 'I Didn't See That Coming'

A known murderer may have confessed to Frankie’s assassination on Thursday’s Scandal, but that doesn’t mean the investigation is over just yet.

Via the magic of flashbacks, we learned that Frankie and Cyrus’ recorded fight occurred when the late president-elect discovered that his running mate was responsible for an attack on one of his campaign employees, a lovely young woman named Jenny Jennifer. But because Cyrus never does his own dirty work — lest he sully those baby soft hands — we also got to see plenty of Tom, who Cyrus was still boning behind Michael’s back. (Color me crazy, but after six seasons, I’m really starting to think Cyrus might not be 100-percent trustworthy.)

OK, back to the present… With only Olivia’s insistence to go on, Fitz offered Cyrus a special deal: If he agreed to drop out of the running for POTUS, thus paving the way for President Mellie to assume office, Fitz would close the investigation into Frankie’s murder.

If only Cyrus had accepted that offer when it was first presented to him, this next part probably could have been avoided: A furious Tom — who, unless I’m mistaken, barked like a dog at one point — confessed to killing Frankie… on Cyrus’ order! So, where do we go from here?

“If this is the direction it’s continuing in, it looks like Mellie is going to be the president,” Tony Goldwyn tells TVLine. “But I wouldn’t count on anything in Scandal being the way it seems. You can expect everything to be turned on its head. You can guarantee there won’t be a simple resolution to this one.”

Goldwyn admits he “didn’t see that coming,” speaking both about Tom’s confession and his general relationship with Cyrus. “But I do think it’s fantastic. What Shonda Rhimes and our writers do so well is create an element of human relationships that gets you invested in these characters. Tom murdered the president’s son, yet we kind of care about him because he’s in love with Cyrus. It’s just insane! You can’t make any sense of it! But it’s a brilliant stroke.”

“We’ll find out in episodes to come what’s actually going down,” Goldwyn adds. “To me, the evidence is not persuasive — there’s something else going on. But for Fitz, the pressure of not leaving a leadership vacuum is really serious. He’s got to make a decision, even if there’s no easy, correct answer. He can’t waffle back and forth, because the country could end up in even more serious trouble.”

Gladiators, were you surprised by this week’s faux-mantic flashback episode? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Al says:

3 episodes in and this season is so much better than the last 2

2. raddadtone says:

I guess it’s becoming a bit clear that Cyrus and Tom didn’t actually kill Frankie. My money (and I’ll be shocked if they go this route) is for whatever reason, Fitz orchestrated the assassination

3. ejdax37 says:

Shonda Rhimes just made me feel sorry for a man who has killed (or at least had killed) many people, rigged an election, and has done so many horrible things that no one blinks an eye to the thought that he killed his running mate. Wow is all I can say to that.

• Red Snapper says:

I know how you feel. I genuinely felt sorry for Cyrus. I think the only time he’s looked truly happy was when Vargas asked him to be his running mate. I kept going back and forth on whether or not he had Vargas killed. There’s definitely more to the story. Also, I’ve never hated Tom more.

4. Coast Ash says:

Jeff Perry needs to be “Performer of the Week”… If not, at least a honnorable mention… Thank you :D

5. JM says:

The episode cut and delay in writing/filming goes to show that with proper thought, Scandal can really be a great series.

6. Kailani says:

I’ve said it from the very beginning of the season; it’s all Papa Pope. Whether Jake did it for him, or not, it all starts and ends with Papa Pope.

7. Superwoman says:

So I’m guessing Tom/Cyrus did not kill Vargas….This episode was so powerful and so wonderfully done. This epi managed to make me feel sorry for Cy. I’m glad Mellie is POTUS but could it be just as simple as this.
    I don’t want to suspect Rowan or Jake of killing Vargas because that will be too obvious.

• Larc says:

I think Jennifer was involved in Frankie’s death in some way and her call accusing Cyrus was a red herring. Whether she or somebody else was actually killed in that explosion remains to be seen.

8. arial2 says:

I guess I’m supposed to feel sorry for Cyrus. Instead, my gut reaction was “Karma!” for all the evil things he’s been a party to in the past. But it also made me think about what terrible human beings they’ve all become. Greed for power will do that.

9. Lisa Echerd says:

I didn’t really feel sorry for Cyrus at all. I felt sorry for us in that if this is the outcome, we won’t see Cyrus again. He may be a murderer but his character is always entertaining. Tom being the shooter was predictable from the first episode back after the break. However, there is some twist planned so I’m assuming Tom’s is a false confession to punish Cyrus. Whatever it is, I still hope Mellie becomes President and bring back Susan.

10. Idella says:

Now the story line is becoming non sensical and campy….seems like D.C.is a planet of its own…no secret service or papparazzi….What a world! But then again our”real”world is ridiculous too.
    Hope parents screen for their kids.

11. DJ PlaZma says:

The truncated season is treating this show well. Tighter story telling and, so far, no annoying Sally Langston.

12. Sleepless says:

Poor Cyrus, I mean he’s done dispicable things in the past but karma caught up with him at the worst possible time. I also felt super bad for his dreamy hubs and daughter.
    During Cyrus and his crazy psycho ex bf’s last conversation, I kept thinking maybe Michael or someone would be somehow recording the conversation. It makes sense, Michael wasn’t surprised to see Cy with a big old boo boo on his face the next morning, and knew that he would be getting arrested any minute now.

13. C says:

Where is Papa Pope and Jake in all this? They have got to be behind all this, right?

• Chris says:

They are totally behind in with Tom somehow in on it too. And let’s not forget Michael who has repeatedly been treated like crap but Cyrus and even when they got back together continued cheating on him. Cyrus may not have killed Frankie but he’s done enough shady stuff that he doesn’t deserve it. At least Mellie hasn’t killed a guy or have hitmans to call. Jake and Rowan are too quiet and the minute Tom’s name came up Olivia should be at her daddy’s door with an, ” yeah I know you did something.” But I’m tired of the father/daughter dance just as much. Rowan always look impervious and Liv stupid and blind and I hate it. Mellie getting in just gives Olivia a storyline when I wish all the characters would just get back to cases and not that damn White House. It used to be the backdrop of the show now it just IS the show. Don’t get me wrong, the last episode was really good I just hope we aren’t going to dumb down Olivia or even her team. And Abby’s back and forth with Olivia is annoying. You know you got a shady friend and you be in on that shady stuff so let Fitz be a grown man and secure yourself a job afterwards. Idk I just don’t like Abby.

14. T says:

“Tom murdered the president’s son, yet we kind of care about him because he’s in love with Cyrus.”

Um not true… well at least for me not true.

15. nancy says:

Where did Jake go when they announced the winner? Remember? He disappeared… just saying – it could have been him!

16. Sam says:

Oh, come on. Am I the only one that’s entertaining the possibility that Liv might be behind all this? She wasn’t sure that Mellie was going to win, why not have a Plan B in motion? And it’s the perfect plan, actually. she got rid of Vargas and Cyrus in a second.why else would she be so adamant about proving it was Cyrus?

17. Bruce says:

I gotta give A + to performance and drama ,but F for how things really work . Even if Cyrus cannot be Pres. Neither would Mellie in real world . Either 1 writers don’t know how electoral college works or 2 don’t care . It would not be Mellie’s party electoral voting . It would be Vargas party voting . So sorry scandal that’s a no go on Mellie winning because Vargas got shot . But hey where’s the drama in that .

• Carol says:

No, the electoral college voters of 538 are based on the number of EC delegates assigned by states won in the general election. Since Frankie won the general election, he technically has more EC delegates. However EC delegates can vote for anyone not only the candidates running so they can vote for Mellie, Cyrus, Jake or anyone.

You should check out the EC voting for the 2016 election where people like Colin Powell got EC votes.

• Bruce says:

Yes Carol you are correct . I know this. But for the show the democrat candidate won so the democrat electoral will vote not the republican . So they would vote for a democrat more than likely . Yes they could vote Millie in but that’s not would happen in real world . Just like electoral college would not have voted in Hillary . Each party has electoral delegates in each state . The party that wins are the delegates that vote .