Bob Costas Stepping Down as Olympics Host, To Be Replaced by Mike Tirico

Bob Costas announced on Thursday that he is stepping down as host of NBC’s primetime Olympics coverage after 25 years, passing the torch to fellow sportscaster Mike Tirico.

Tirico, perhaps best known for his 10-year stint as the play-by-play announcer on ESPN’s Monday Night Football, will succeed Costas when he presides over the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea.

“It has been both a privilege and an incredible personal and professional experience to have been part of NBC’s Olympic coverage all these years,” Costas said in a statement. “I’m especially appreciative of all the talented and dedicated people I worked for and with on those broadcasts. I always felt that, in a certain sense, I was carrying the ball for them. It’s been a wonderful run, but I just felt now was the right time to step away and I’m grateful that NBC left that decision to me.”

Costas has hosted the Peacock Network’s coverage of 11 Olympic games since 1992. He has amassed 27 Emmy awards over the course of his career, more than any other sportscaster in history. He will continue to serve as a contributor to NBC Sports.

Press PLAY on the video below to watch Costas make his announcement on the Today show, then drop a comment and let us know if you think Tirico is a worthy successor.

1. che says:

Sweet! Love to see a white guy get replaced by a black guy. Because that isn’t happening enough on TV right now.

• Tasha says:

Well if it’s any constellation he doesn’t consider himself black.

• c-mo says:

Why do we have to care if he’s black or white? Will he do as good of a job or better as the person he’s replacing? I could be offended that they didn’t hire a Latino but I’m not because they chose the best person for the job. Job performance is the only thing that should matter, not skin color…black, brown, white, purple, turquoise, fuchsia…it doesn’t matter.

2. Jason says:

That…sucks. I like Tirico but Costas is irreplaceable.

3. Joan says:

Costas just looked and sounded as if he didn’t want to be at Rio. So good for him. Better to leave than to diminish his on air performance. Or maybe he should have just watched City Slickers and decided to return and do a better job.

4. tvdiva says:

That’s wonderful. Now if we could only get Matt Lauer to leave.

5. LucyD says:

I am so sad. I love Bob, he is the Olympics to me. It will not be the same now :-(.

6. elizabeth says:

Having never missed an Olympics, I will miss Bob Costas as he has been a delight. He has done a great job of expressing the wonder that the Olympics is. Mike is a nice replacement and I look forward to seeing what he has to offer. But, what about Mary Carillo? She has worked the Olympics for years, loves the pagentry and spirit of the events. She just as dedicated as Bob and is a joy to watch. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a woman take the role as she has practiced for years?

7. c-mo says:

I will definitely miss seeing and hearing Bob on NBC’s Olympic coverage, he has been such a big part of the events that it’s almost impossible to imagine the broadcasts without him. I am very happy that NBC has chosen Mike Tirico to replace Costas, I’ve loved watching him on SNF, he’s professional and classy.

8. TVLineCommentator says: