Vampire Diaries Series Finale

Vampire Diaries Series Finale Wraps: 'Tears,' Cake and Photos From Everyone's Last Day on Set

Feb. 8, 2017 will forever hold a bittersweet place in the hearts of Vampire Diaries fans, remembered as the day the lights went out in Mystic Falls.

Emotions ran understandably high as the stars, most of whom have been with the show since it premiered in 2009, shot their very last scenes. And in true TVD form, they shared every moment with fans on social media:

Candice King got the party started with an Instagram video of the “last day” ticker, followed shortly by executive producer — and series finale co-writer — Kevin Williamson sharing a Mystic Falls-themed wrap cake. (Director and co-scribe Julie Plec also incorporated the cake into her short, sweet goodbye tweet.)

Paul Wesley dropped an emotional tweet before putting Stefan Salvatore to rest — for real this time. He also tweeted the above photo with the following caption: “That’s officially a wrap. … To the fans, thank you for being a part of this journey in our lives. We couldn’t have done it without you.”

Kat Graham wrapped earlier in the night, at which point she tweeted this fan-made montage of Bonnie’s most action-packed moments:

* Matt Davis shared this message before playing Alaric for the last time:

Getting ready for my last shot… Love you guys!!!

A post shared by Matthew Davis (@immatthewdavis) on

* If we were to name a final-day M.V.P., though, it would have to be Ian Somerhalder. The actor conducted several Facebook live chats throughout the night, including right before stepping in front of the camera for his last set of takes. “Here we go,” he told fans watching from home. “Last scene ever.”

Nina Dobrev, who only recently revealed that she’ll be back for the series finale, shot her last scene several days before everyone else. Unsurprisingly, she chose Instagram as the outlet with which to share her gratitude to fans on behalf of “Katherine, Amara, Tatia, and of course, Elena Gilbert.”

* And Zach Roerig, good ol’ Matty Blue Eyes, wrapped on Tuesday.

Browse our gallery of photos from The Vampire Diaries‘ final days — you can click here for direct access — then drop a comment below: How do you hope it all ends?

1. Leo says:

I don’t follow this show anymore but this still make me a bit sad. I’ll tune in for the series finale although I won’t understand any ongoing stuffs.

2. Nathan Everett says:

Can’t believe this show filmed up the street from me for 8 years and I’ve never visited. 😭😭😭 too late now. There’s always sleepy hollow I guess.

3. AM says:

why is kat nowhere to be seen huhu

4. Lola says:

I know the quality of the show’s writing dropped long ago but that doesn’t stop me from feeling nostalgia or a bit sad(as I do with any of the shows I watch) ending. For some weird reason there is always a sting for me personally as if something isn’t right especially when the new fall season starts and a long time staple is missing. That damn old chugging train Supernatural will probably knock me harder. You had a long run TVD, so long old friend. May you rest in tv heaven.

5. M says:

While I think it’s past time for the show to come to an end, I am a little sad now that it’s over. That being said, the only thing I care about in the finale is that Bonnie gets a happy ending. And no, I don’t count reuniting with Enzo in the after-life as a happy ending. The show needs to find a way to bring him back so they can live out their lives together as they planned. Hopefully, with Enzo as a human so they can have children and continue the Bennett line. I don’t want Bonnie to be the very last Bennett witch unless they find some way to make her immortal (and not as a vampire.)

6. edwill says:

Damon gonna miss you buddy my favorite actor I’m for south Africa been watching vampire from season 1 til 8 I actually gonna miss the series now I don’t know what ima watch now😞 gonna miss you guys

7. Gift says:

I’m going to miss this show nd all the cast most especially Stefan, Damon, Bonnie, Caroline, Tyler nd kai. I will miss u more. U all did a great work. Everyone even though I didn’t mention ur name.

8. Eve says:

The vampire diaries had been one hell of a ride it has touched the hearts of many many fans it goes show some vampire’s have alot of good in them would like to thank the cast and crew for bringing this show into my life.take care everyone and God bless I will miss you

9. Alicia says:

I have laughed, cried, gasped with T.V.D I have never missed a single episode. It is a disappointment to see it go, but as all good things family’s my on, things come to an end. To all the cast members past and current. Blessed be to all the many journeys ahead.

10. Myra Lawson says:

With Damon and Elena together of course!! Like all this has been a dream and they’re just now waking up but that’s been done. Oh well, at least give Matt a woman!! He’s SO HANDSOME 😁