Charlie Rose Taking CBS This Morning Break to Undergo Heart Surgery

CBS This Morning anchor Charlie Rose is taking an immediate break from his early AM gig to undergo heart surgery.

RELATED Today‘s Tamron Hall Leaving NBC News

In a note released to CBS News, Rose alerted staffers that on Thursday he’ll undergo a voluntary procedure to replace an artificial aorta valve that was installed 15 years ago. The note was later shared by co-anchors Norah O’Donnell and Gayle King on Wednesday morning’s broadcast:

Almost 15 years ago, skilled surgeons replaced my aorta valve with a new replacement valve. It has served me well, enabling me to live the vigorous, full, complete life you are all so familiar with. No one loves life more than I do. To continue to live this amazing life so full of challenges and friends, including so many of you in the audience, I have chosen to replace the valve with a new one.

The timing is my choice. So tomorrow, I will undergo surgery which will keep me at the hospital for a few days and then resting for a couple of weeks. I look forward to seeing you in March. In the meantime you are in great hands with my remarkable colleagues Norah and Gayle, backed by the best morning team anywhere.

I can’t wait to be back completely rested with my heart recharged, my passion for the work ahead purposeful and my joy at life’s pleasures high.

In Rose’s absence, O’Donnell and King will be joined by a rotating roster of substitute anchors, including Anthony Mason and Josh Elliott.

Watch the announcement below.

1. Fred hummelsheim says:

We will miss you,all the best on your surgery hurry back Pam and fred

2. dan says:

I suspected something was up on Tuesday when Charlie wasn’t there and Nora said that Josh Elliott would join them at 7:30 (meaning they called him in late), then today Anthony Mason was there. I didn’t expect to like Charlie in the morning, but I’ve gotten accustomed to his unique voice and delivery, along with the great chemistry between him, Nora and Gayle. Wishing Charlie a speedy and complete recovery!

3. George says:

That’s about the lifespan of an artificial valve. They don’t last as long as the natural ones, although they get a little better every year. Fortunately, surgeons have done this procedure so often it is well understood. Best wishes to you, Charlie Rose, for a quick and complete recovery.

4. M.C. Bradish says:

Charlie Rose, don’t know if you will get this message, I too have had my aortic valve replaced, 5-21-2010, they put in an equine aortic valve. According to my cardiologist that’s the longest lasting. I’m praying for you, u deserve all the prayers you will receive. God bless you.

5. Diane Dienhart says:

So glad to hear you doing well We really like you and wish only the best for you Will be looking forward to your return Take care and God God bless ❤🌟🙏🌈

6. God Bless you Charley. Prayers for healing, i could see you were looking tired. This will help . My friend had this done last week and except for some bruising she is doing great. Prayers coming your way from Indiana….🕇

7. Sandy Ward Jolivette says:

I don’t watch CBS Morning Show, I am a GMA gal but I always watch Charlie Rose Show. Can you respond and say how Charlie is doing? I wish only the best for Charlie and look forward to him returning to his show. My Mother died from an Aortic Aneurysm in 1994. They have come a long way since then. Best Wishes Charlie!!!

8. Beverly Miller says:

Each morning I look forward to the complete morning team, and while his temporary replacement is great, there is no one as great as Charlie with his understanding smile.