Imposters Recap

Imposters Premiere: Did Bravo's New Con-Artist Drama Hit the Mark?

You can’t fault the poor suckers in Bravo’s new drama series Imposters for falling for a con artist and losing all their money. Grifter Maddie (The Last Ship‘s Inbar Lavi) is just that good at her job — but is the show as good as her?

Before you chime in with your thoughts, let’s recap Tuesday night’s premiere, which begins with Maddie playing the part of Belgian waitress Ava. It’s not long before the sweet, bookish Ezra (British actor Rob Heaps), who once dreamed of living in Paris, is charmed by her accent and coy flirtations. (I told you she was good.) While trying to Imposters Recappurchase a puppy for their 29th-day wedding anniversary, Ezra discovers that his bank account has been cleaned out. Ava is MIA, too, and her number has been disconnected, but she did leave behind a threatening yet strangely sincere video message.

“You will never see me again. The sooner you accept it, the better it is for everybody,” she warns Ezra before revealing that she has a folder full of his dad’s dirty cheating and patent-stealing secrets.

“Ezra, you must move on with your life,” she continues, always staying in character. “You are a good man, with a great heart. You will find love again, I know it.”

As Maddie makes her escape, wearing a new hairstyle and blue contacts, she runs into Ezra’s brother at the airport. He doesn’t recognize her even as he strikes up a flirty conversation, but then as she’s walking away, he spots the ankle bracelet Ezra gave her. Maddie is able to shake him off her trail with an assist from her partner-in-crime Max (Private Practice‘s Brian Benben), who until recently was the head of accounting at Ezra’s family business — until he “dropped dead.” Also in on the scheme: Ava’s so-called aunt Katherine (Satisfaction‘s Katherine LaNasa).

The trio moves on to their next job, which finds Maddie-as-Saffron having to fall for a bully of a bank executive in Seattle. The gig is assigned to them by — intrigue alert! — The Doctor, who gets to keep 70 percent of the cash. Maddie suggests going rogue, but Max doesn’t want to end up in a hole. Don’t mess with The Doctor, noted!

Imposter RecapMeanwhile, Ezra has descended into a drunken, suicidal mess. (I’m going to pretend his cringe-inducing makeout session with coworker Gabby, during which he asks her to talk dirty in a Belgian accent, didn’t happen.) It’s not until another one of Maddie’s ex-husbands, Richard (Suburgatory‘s Parker Young), comes looking for Ava upper-crust New Yorker Alice that Ezra comes out of his stupor. He gathers what little money the two men have left to pay someone to run facial-recognition software on Ava/Alice — and they get a match on yet another persona!

Readers, was that a fun con ride for you? Creators Adam Brooks (Mozart in the Jungle) and Paul Adelstein (Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce) — yes, that Paul Adelstein — have certainly infused the show with plenty of humor. And having seen the next two episodes, I can assure you that Parker Young’s comedy talents are fully utilized as polar opposites Richard and Ezra become an unlikely buddy team. Also, isn’t leading lady Inbar Lavi one helluva charmer as Maddie and her many alter egos? I’m pretty sure trying to resist her is futile.

Grade the premiere via the poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Jason says:

I liked it more than I thought I would. I hope they keep Ava bad and not some she falls in love with the main guy becasue its true love kind of cliche.

2. furtive says:

This could be a LIFETIME MOVIE: ” Catch me if you can 2.0″
    A series is merely drawn out to keep a studio busy.

Forget this.

3. tjchurch2001 says:

Sorry, but in the final analysis, I had to give it a “C”: Average at best.

I was hooked AT Minute One, but not the whole way FROM Minute One. Why? First, someone told him to just let her go. Then, after a few suicide attempts (that’s what I’ll pretend didn’t happen, as even considering ending his life at that time denied ANY plausibility), he seems to decide to go after her (without the faux agent).

Next, she is telling him not to look for her for ANY reason (love or revenge) by threatening him with the contents of a “folder” (really an envelope”) that we later learn contains things his father not he did. (Does NBC-Universal have no corporate watchdog?! This is right after Harvey on Suits confronts his Mom &/about one of her many affairs!)

Lastly (sort of), before we see him team up with the faux agent (after another plausibility-denying spot where the faux agent knew her new fake name & what she’d done to who under it, yet knew nothing of “facial rec” that has been around since the “Las Vegas” TV series), we see her & 2 others getting new aliases & things for a new town. [Either of these would make a decent show, like the latter already did (“Leverage”), but pick which side you want to follow!!]

• emir says:

seriously??! way thinking it too much! prison break and breaking bad werent plausible and yet great!

• Conner says:

Are you comparing Imposters with Breaking Bad? Imposters is a terrible show made to entertain low IQ Bravo viewers. BB is art.

• Tim Church says:

“Breaking Bad” was a waste of the talents of Cranston, Krysten Ritter, & some amazing music (among other actual talents), only watchable if you were actually on some drugs. (Should have continued it on a new DEAMC channel, where you could track the watchers & arrest them.)

• lonnie mall says:

I’m pretty sure I have at least an average IQ but I absolutely love this show.

• tjchurch2001 says:

That leaves 2 options:

1] Proof of your incorrect belief about yourself.

2] The comment you responded to was simply am opinion made by someone who was in it comparing others to themselves & may also have been wrong when doing so.

4. Jason says:

I’d have no trouble being duped by Inbar Lavi. She’s one of the sexiest women I’ve ever seen. And the show has a great sense of humor which helps make it an enjoyable, light diversion. I think I’ll dvr the rest and save it for summer.

5. Lily says:

I enjoyed this much more than the garbage housewives shows. Those should be canceled and more shows like this brought in. Seriously, aren’t you guys tired of those phony women trying to up each other???

6. Steven says:

I really enjoyed it. Basically what The Catch should have been.

• Leon says:

@ Steven, I agree with you’re Catch reference. The original Catch trailer before the re-write and re-casting hinted that it would be more like Imposters in tone. Instead they went with the fluffy version.

Imposters definitely looks like it might be, what I hoped The Catch should’ve been indeed.

7. Gayle says:

“… It failed!!!” In the beginning, I thought it was going to be a viable drama, but very soon it morphed into a ridiculous attempt at comedy. Nothing was believable, just “silly.” I am genuinely disappointed as I wanted it to be a quality drama.

8. Aisha says:

I’ll admit this was a watch later until I saw Parker Young was in.
    I watched it and it has potential, I gave it a C but I’m looking forward to the rest of the episodes!

9. Eileen says:

I liked it. For once something cute and funny, a little drama and no blood and guts, no gore. Best of all, no ridiculous laugh track.

10. I knew this wasn’t going to be a keeper when the dog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, bit him. Cavaliers will lick you to death, but not bit you!