Lady Gaga's Super Bowl Halftime Show — Watch Her Performance and Grade It

Lady Gaga” and “football” rarely come up in the same conversation, much less the same televised event, which made her performance at Sunday’s Super Bowl all the more exciting.

The artist formerly known as Stefani Germanotta began her halftime show — already heralded by Pepsi as the “biggest music event of the year” — by belting out a “God Bless America”/”This Land Is Your Land” mashup while standing high above the stadium. (Hence, you know, “I’m on the edge!”)

She was then lowered to the stage for a gravity-defying performance of “Poker Face,” before transitioning into a smoke-and-lights rendition of “Born This Way.” We were also treated to a (Beyoncé-free, sadly) performance of “Telephone,” leading into another classic Gaga jam, “Just Dance,” and the emotional “Million Reasons,” which included a cute shout-out to Gaga’s parents.

Always good to her Little Monsters, Gaga ended that part of the performance by walking out into her seas of costumed fans before returning to the stage for some high-energy “Bad Romance.”

Days before the big game, Gaga was asked whether she intended to use her performance as a platform for a political statement, possibly one against President Donald Trump.

“No, that’s not what the show is about,” she told a Las Vegas radio station. “The show is something that is coming from my heart to everyone in America that I love so much. This is my country and I’m proud to be a pop star from this country. … I want people that watch the Halftime show that Pepsi Zero Sugar is putting on with us to feel the greatness of the USA.”

But rather than putting an end to the public’s speculation, this response merely caused people to wonder if Gaga was remaining coy to ensure a surprise on the big day. Well, I guess we have our answer now.

Of course, this is hardly the first time Gaga has left viewers, ahem, speechless at the Super Bowl. Her beautiful 2016 National Anthem performance — for which she donned a sparkly red custom Gucci pantsuit — became an instant classic.

Watch Gaga’s performance above, then cast your vote and drop a comment with your full review.

1. brandy says:

I was expecting to hate it, but that was actually pretty great. She did an amazing job.

2. Gina says:

I had to rate the performance as “Awesome” because A-freaking-mazing was sadly not an option.

I honestly didn’t watch one minute of the SB until the half time show. GaGa did not disappoint. Say what you will about her, girl can perform!!!!

3. william says:

Her music videos were more interesting. She should have worn the meat dress.

4. GreenEyedAngel says:

Gaga kicked ASS!!!

5. Melanie says:

Her performance was amazing!!!!!! Loved every minute!!!!! She is an amazing and incredible performer!!!!! Such a proud fan!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

6. CW says:

Absolutely fantastic! Lady Gaga was awesome! Such a great half time show.

7. ninergrl6 says:

Awesome! Much better than last year (and I was *in* the SB halftime show last year lol). There’s just so much more they can do with lights indoors vs. outdoors at dusk like last year in Santa Clara, plus Gaga > Cokdplay for spectacle. Did she add some new lyrics to Born This Way or have I just never listened closely enough before?

8. TheRealCardz says:

Wow Gaga killed it! I dig how most of her choreography reminds me of MJ Thriller. Always real creepy looking. Halftime shows usually suck, but this one was one to remember! Sick!

9. Malachi says:

IDK I gave it a B but I was excepting something more like a special geuss. Anyway, still pretty amazing.

10. If anyone was STILL dismissing Gaga’s talent after her shutting it down at the Oscars twice, then I hope they will finally simmer down. I thought it was fantastic. She went for broke, she sang live (!!) and deservedly dropped the mic. (Also, wise move to leave out anything associated to ArtPop.)

11. Kevin says:

I give it an A. One of the best Super Bowl halftime shows I’ve ever seen and it could be in the Top 10 or 20 at least.

12. Lysh says:

I love that every news story I saw before her show said she was on a delay and it would be super political or anti-Trump and she came out pro-America and equality and inclusivity and wasn’t bawdy or anti anything. She slayed. Also that mic drop was epic and I need that gif.

13. Wrstlgirl says:

Gaga is everything!!!

14. Taleya says:

loved it!! Gaga killed it!t

15. Pat says:

All I can say is WOW!!!!!! This lady is going Gaga for Lady Gaga. Thank you, half-time show.

16. sntindall says:

Wow that was a lot of fun! I wouldn’t say I’m a fan but I don’t dislike her. What a great performer and vocalist!

17. Barb says:

Love her…..She is our American superstar 💫💫💥

18. tomus225 says:

Started not to watch because most of the SB performances have left me disappointed. Sooooo glad I watched! She left me wanting more instead of being glad the performance was over! A+❣️

19. F says:

so F. what a waste of time. Lady Gaga sucks just like Trump and the Patriots.

20. Robin says:

Awesome!!! I’m glad it was just her and not three or four other singers singing for two seconds. This was a halftime show!!!

Hey Dick Clark Productions… y9u may want to contact Gaga for 2017 New Year’s Eve show!!! Just sayin. 😀

21. Adam says:

F. ugly performer, terrible voice, terrible music. who picks these talentless “singers”?

22. Guy says:

Am I the only one who was thrilled that she didn’t bring out Beyoncé for Telephone? We’ve seen enough of the overexposed Beyoncé, and she’s been in the halftime show twice already in the last few years. Over her.

23. Show was great but sorry Lady Gaga did not take the opportunity to give a shout out to America The Inclusive . Huge missed opportunity to make a statement about childish playground bullies

24. Jason says:

Gaga is always a reliably awesome live performer. That voice never falters.

25. Penny says:

I was expecting political and was so very happy with what we got instead!! The BEST halftime show I have seen in a long while! And also happy it was just Gaga. She could do it all on her own and definitely didn’t need special guests! Bravo!

26. Richard says:

It appears that 10 % of the votes were from brain dead people

• C says:

*80% – if you think this was awesome, you’re an idiot. plain and simple.

• Gina says:

Imagine that, someone having a different taste and opinion than you. That certainly doesn’t make someone an idiot. But this is the world we live in today, you don’t like the same things I do or have the same opinion as me, so you’re beneath me.

27. Lisa says:

U2, Prince, and now Lady Gaga.

Best ever shows.

28. Sandra says:

I liked very much she si a true performer dosent need. Anyone else to help her sing go gaga 👏🏻👏🏻

29. Amanda says:

I lived the drones, the singing if patriotic music at the beginning, and best of all NO POLITICAL COMMENTARY!

30. Philip says:

Boring, she sounds just like every other ”pop star’ out there…boring songs. All the pop star music sounds the same today, all just rehashed garbage. Go away Gaga

31. TV Gord says:

As much as I hate the current political climate, I’m glad that she bucked the celebrity trend and stayed apolitical. (I was happy when she mentioned in her earlier interview with Michael Strahan that she wanted to put on a show that would be inclusive.)

I think she was spectacular. After her performance, I went straight to YouTube and found the fun video made by a bunch of soldiers in Afghanistan of Telephone. It’s a reminder that her music reaches out to people in far reaches of the world and of the political spectrum. As she said to Michael (paraphasing), this is a time to focus on the things that unite us more than separate us. She did that beautifully.Music; the great unifier.

• Big Cheddar says:

Oh my gosh! Thank you for mentioning the videos of the soldiers! I had no idea those existed and have been entertaining myself with them all afternoon.

32. Dennis says:

AMAZING!!!!

33. L says:

Gaga and Prince the best of the best.

34. linda says:

lady gaga is amazing as always !!!!! she has always been something to look forward to and again she didn’t let anyone down . amazing, awesome ….I don’t think there is a word to describe her amazing talent . WOW !!!!!!!!!

35. Will says:

I was waiting for Gaga to ruin Super Bowl with something political, but it didn’t happen. I enjoyed it very much even though I disagree with her politically.

36. christopher bee says:

The whole production was top notch and we all know that Stefani is a fantastic vocalist and performer.
    This show is one for the records and a recipe how to do it.

37. Mel says:

Half time show wasn’t nothing special. Throwing the mic and catching the football woo-hoo wasn’t she a dude once? Looks like she poured herself in to her last outfit her little pouch belly showing Not like Micheal Jackson and Prince halftime show were the most EPIC shoes evrr!!

• Big Cheddar says:

You seriously aren’t trying to fat-shame Gaga, are you? The level of athleticism and endurance she showed was inspiring. Newsflash – not everyone is genetically blessed with a completely flat stomach; some people only get there if they starve themselves. She looked healthy and amazing!

• Temperance says:

*sighs* More Russian trolls.

38. T12 says:

absolutely terrible. to look and to listen. but that was to be expected, Lady Gaga always sucked big time.

39. With Gaga, WYSIWYG. She can sing, she’s a decent dancer, she’s a total entertainer. As for politics, she let her act do the talking. Like the artist or not, can’t deny that tonight, she slayed! A++. Mike Drop.

40. A says:

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a little slow during Pokerface, but really picked up once she was on the ground. I can’t believe her voice holds up that well doing all that dancing. I love that she didn’t have a guest. I really liked Bruno Mars, but thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers was strange. Then again, I thought the best part of Katy Perry’s was Missy Elliott.

41. Ethel says:

She was amazing. I feel sorry for those who threatened or actually boycotted the half-time show, they missed seeing one of the best ones in recent years.

42. Mary says:

One of the best half time shows to date. Fantastic job – know there is talent.

43. Mary says:

One of the best half time shows to date. Fantastic job – now there is talent.

44. Diane says:

I was very happy she left the political comments out of her performance! She did a spectacular job. I especially loved the beginning!

45. Cactus Rose says:

Lady Gaga killed it! To those that grew up with her and made her feel like an outcast, not only shame on you but I hope you’re all jealous! She’s got talent and uses her professional status to help those who need it. Good for her!

46. anonymous says:

I think what was a lot more entertaining and far more exciting than LG was the Patriots come from behind historic OT win! the way they trailed ATL until the fourth quarter and then kicked it into overdrive to come all the way back from 25 points behind and tie it to force the first ever OT in super bowl history and then to take it to entirely new level and win! it was absolutely mind blowing and im not even a football fan even though i live in the New England area. everyone who is talking about the halftime show should watch the highlights of the end of the game and then tell me which is more exhilerating and just absolutely insane

47. Brigid says:

She was amazing! She sang live, played instruments, danced and flew around a football stadium. That’s some pure talent right there. The people who hate her will never be satisfied. Most of them would rather have some old rocker sing off key and make a fool out of themselves because they just don’t have it any more. That ain’t my kind of performance. Go GAGA!

48. Leanne says:

she has an amazing voice and it was great. Kudos to NFL and Lady GAGA keeping politics out of it, just great entertainment. wasn’t a Gaga fan until I heard her tribute to Julie Andrews and Sound of Music. She nailed it. People who don’t like her that’s their choice but they cannot say she doesn’t have a good voice because she DOES. DH must not have heard her, maybe hearing impaired

49. texmike says:

The best Super Bowl halftime ever. Micheal Jackson number two.

50. Jaynee Dillono says:

You killed it gaga we should have a superbowl everyday .