New Handmaid's Tale Promo Warns a 'Better World' Isn't Better for Everyone

In an extended promo for Hulu’s upcoming adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale, set to air during Sunday’s Super Bowl LI, Elisabeth Moss’ Offred questions Joseph Fiennes’ Commander about the “better world” that allegedly has been created by the Republic of Gilead, a theocratic military dictatorship.

His answer to her is… not reassuring, to say the least.

The new promo also shares a glimpse of the Commander’s icy wife, Serena Joy (played by Yvonne Strahovski), as well as handmaid Ofwarren aka Janine (Madeline Brewer), who in this telling of the story pays for her resistance with an eye.

Hulu’s adaptation of the dystopian Margaret Atwood novel also stars Gilmore Girls‘ Alexis Bledel (as Ofglen), OITNB‘s Samira Wiley as Moira, The Leftovers‘ Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia and Max Minghella as Nick.

The 10-episode series premieres Wednesday, April 26.

1. Joey Padron says:

New promo looks good. Looking forward to check out the show!

2. maltru says:

This has always been on my “to read” list, and the promos look so good, I’ve finally started reading it! I hope that I can finish it in enough time before the show starts that I can forget some of the details, so I don’t end up nitpicking the show!

3. Daya says:

The more trailers they release, the more I shiver!

4. Ally Oop says:

I’m still waiting on news of a Canadian pickup for this. Considering that Margaret Atwood is one of Canada’s most famous novelists and that this was shot in Canada, I’m shocked there’s been no news yet. Two of Atwood’s books are currently in production; Alias Grace is being done as a mini-series set to air on CBC in Canada and on Netflix internationally. I asked someone about it and they said Hulu has declined to sell the rights to a Canadian network/streamer. Speculation is that now that Amazon has launched their service partially in Canada, that Hulu might follow suit.

• Ally Oop says:

I just read another article and Atwood assured Canadians that MGM and Hulu have promised her that it will be shown in Canada. No word on when or who.

• militantgod says:

Well CraveTV shows Casual and The Super Chanel showed The Path and 11.22.63, so I really wouldn’t worry about it airing somewhere in Canada. Torrents can be your friend.

• Ally Oop says:

Unfortunately, my internet tends to be too slow to stream tv online. I can get Netflix to work because I changed the settings to standard def only and tweaked a couple other settings. No better options in my neck of the woods.

• militantgod says:

Again, torrents. If you have any kind of internet, even if it’s really slow, you can download it and watch it the next day. I don’t understand why people are so worried about it, especially if you’re in Canada.

5. Jack Bauer says:

I wanted to see Yvonne Strahovski in the new 24, not this. Damn it!

6. Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your site.
    You have some really great posts and I think I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back
    to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested.
    Thank you!