Post Mortems
Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 2 Finale Rebecca Josh

Crazy Ex Boss on That Wedding Finale Shocker, What It Means for Season 3

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Season 2 finale was billed as Rebecca and Josh’s big wedding day, and we did see some vows being made… just maybe not the vows we were expecting.

Josh was feeling a bit jittery, especially when a stressed-out Rebecca blurted out the name “Robert.” (Who’s that now?) Plus, her psycho former fling Trent popped back into the picture to drop an envelope full of Rebecca’s past misdeeds in Josh’s lap. Josh nobly threw that envelope in the trash… but he also ditched Rebecca at the altar to join Father Brah in the priesthood (!). Rebecca almost threw herself off a beautiful Malibu cliff as a result, but instead, she found the strength to kick her con-man dad out of her life for good. And to make a solemn vow of her own: “Josh Chan must be destroyed.”

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 2 Finale RebeccaWe also got maybe our biggest peek yet into Rebecca’s past with the “Robert” backstory: While she was a student at Harvard, she had an affair with a married professor named Robert. And when he broke things off, she set fire to his stuff, Left Eye-style. Rebecca was charged with arson, and got sent to a dreary mental-health facility where she was tranquilized with a heavy dose of meds. So it looks like Josh Chan isn’t the only man she’s been “crazy” about?

After that super eventful — and fantastic — finale, we had about a hundred questions for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend showrunner Aline Brosh McKenna, who wrote and directed the episode. Here’s what we learned when McKenna chatted with reporters after a screening of the finale.

That ending was planned all along.

“We knew that this season was going to end with ‘Josh Chan must be destroyed,'” McKenna reveals. “Always. I think it was in our original pilot pitch.” But the Josh-becomes-a-priest piece of the puzzle didn’t occur to the writers until “maybe halfway through the season,” she says, when they were looking for a way for Josh to leave Rebecca, but not for another woman. “He is a seeker. And there is something very spiritual about him. So the priest thing just really… it really hit the idea on the head.” But what if they didn’t get renewed for a third season? “We write like Tim McGraw says: Live like you’re dying,” McKenna laughs. “So we just wrote like we were getting renewed.”

Season 3 will be the season of “the scorned woman.”

After getting jilted in humiliating fashion, Rebecca will indeed be seeking payback next season. McKenna says that Rebecca adopts a new persona each season, and “in a time of crisis here, a new persona leaps into her mind, and it’s the scorned woman. We’ll see how consistently she follows through on that, and how her feelings evolve as she recovers from this big rupture.”

She adds that Rebecca’s newfound feelings of hatred for Josh aren’t that big of a switch: “Psychologically speaking, hating someone is the same as loving them. Because the opposite of love is apathy. It’s not hatred. It’s the flip side of an obsession.” And of course, Rebecca may not have given up on a happy ending with Josh Chan just yet. McKenna says there are “a lot of dynamics in that for us to explore. How over him is she? Will she be over him for the whole season, or will there be phases of that? It’s an obsession, so it moves into a different phase.”

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 2 Finale Girl GroupRebecca’s girl group will help her in her quest for vengeance.

Rebecca has three strong allies in Paula, Valencia and Heather, who are the only ones who heard her ominous cliffside declaration, McKenna says. “If that happened to you, no one would be surprised that you’d be like, ‘Eff that guy.’ But your girlfriends for sure would be like, ‘Something must be done.'” But the other girls also “don’t know anything about [Rebecca’s] past,” McKenna hints. “So now all of these women are going to get to know her in a different way.”

Plus, don’t forget: Paula still doesn’t know that Rebecca kissed Nathaniel in the elevator, and that’s why she rushed her wedding with Josh. And that secret may end up unraveling their friendship, McKenna teases: “As we know, Paula is very, very sensitive to having been lied to. There are some other shoes to drop there.”

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 2 Finale JoshJosh isn’t evil — but he still managed to mess everything up.

McKenna calls Josh “a benevolent narcissist,” referring to his tendency to seek out pretty girls who make him feel good about himself. She thinks he fled to the priesthood to spare Rebecca’s feelings, in a way: “It’s a path that, in his mind, is not hurting her… because it’s not like he’s with another girl. He’s choosing something that in his mind is so exalted. I think also like two percent of his mind figures: ‘My parents will forgive me.'”

Josh’s decision not to open Trent’s envelope is “the most courageous thing that Josh has done all season,” McKenna declares, “because if he did, he would have something to blame the destruction of the marriage on.” But she also hints that Josh has “no idea” what he’s getting into with becoming a priest. “He’s done no thinking, no serious research. It’s a panic move. We’ll see how much of it suits him.”

Rebecca’s dad set the template for all the men in her life.

John Allen Nelson guest-starred in the finale as Rebecca’s absentee dad Silas, who seemed happy to walk his little girl down the aisle… but then hit her up for money to pay for his son’s braces. “I love the acting choice he made: She gives him the check, and John put it in his pocket,” McKenna notes. “He never looked at it. And that’s what a con man does.” But Silas still looms large in Rebecca’s life, she says, since she’s chased after his love with all the man she’s dated: “He really is the Bundt cake mold into which she has poured every man since then, in a way.”

Rebecca’s mom is not happy about any of this.

“If you notice, her mother does not rush down to comfort her at the end,” McKenna says with a laugh. “There’s a little bit of Grey Gardens that happens with the two of them.” Not only is Naomi embarrassed that the wedding didn’t happen, but she’s humiliated that Rebecca aired out all of her dirty laundry on that Malibu cliffside, McKenna observes. “Naomi likes things to look good, no matter what’s underneath them, so I don’t think any part of this is going to make her happy.” (What would make us happy, though: more Tovah Feldshuh in Season 3.)

Crazy Ex Girlfriend Season 2 Finale Darryl White JoshDarryl and White Josh are the epitome of “opposites attract.”

McKenna points out that Darryl and White Josh’s tiff about marriage and kids really exposed the sharp contrast in their personalities. Darryl is, she says, “very much like Rebecca. He dreams and gets excited about things,” whereas “White Josh lives in an empirical world… he breaks things down.” But McKenna thinks White Josh gave Darryl a sliver of hope with that comment about kids: “He kind of messed up by saying, ‘Having kids, I get. Marriage, I don’t get.’ I think the second that Darryl heard that, it was like a little cauldron started to boil in the back.”

Rebecca’s past will continue to inform her future in Season 3.

Expect more flashbacks to Rebecca’s mental-health woes next season, McKenna hints: “One thing I know we are going to explore next year is: What has her past mental-health history been?… I think she’s had bad experiences with being diagnosed and given medication that makes her feel bad. So we’re going to learn a lot more about her past struggles with her mental health, and to rein in these issues that she has.”

And the Robert incident just further illustrates how Rebecca has always handled relationships with men, McKenna says. “We wanted to show another instance in her life where she had engaged in extreme behavior, and that this was a core wound, and that she was still recovering from it.” But she emphasizes that “it’s in keeping with who she is. There’s probably a kindergarten boy somewhere who has been scarred by Rebecca Bunch.”

Now it’s your turn: Grade the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend finale in our poll below, then hit the comments and give us your take on Rebecca’s wedding-day disaster.

1. webly3 says:

Fantastic finale! It blew away my expectations. It feels like just yesterday the first season finale aired. Such a great way to cap off an already strong second season.

2. Matt says:

So happy this show got renewed. It has become one of my favorites. The musical call backs in this episode were great and I loved the twist at the end.

3. Pedro says:

Done with the show. It used to be so fresh. Now it’s cliché after cliché. They completely destroyed Josh’s character and, really, Nathaniel, the douche with a heart of gold? Boring.

It would have been much more interesting to have Josh and Rebecca marry anyway and have them and have them navigate the realities of that rushed decision next season.

• A says:

Nothing happened l didnt expect too.
      Josh is just as flawed as Rebecca , the whole looking for a pretty girl to solve his problems is why he got with Rebecca when they were teens , Josh cheated on Valencia with Rebecca at camp back them.Season 1 right there.
      The writers have clearly always known were their characters were going from the get go. Even with Greg in a sense the only way he was going to get it together was by moving away.
      I like Josh too it doesnt mean the character is a great person.He never really was , he has made many selfish decisions before.
      Josh and Rebecca from the words of white Josh are the last people who should be getting married. Im glad they addressed this Rebecca really looks for love in all the wrong places because of her dad , we already knew this.
      If they had married Rebecca would not have been forced to face her problems like she always does , she at least told her father off
      Rebecca would realise her issues and them ignore it and start focusing o the wrong things ,e.g… what shes done with doctor Akopian
      As for Nathaniel he somewhat a parallel of Rebecca he just isnt as crazy .
      Nathaniel and Rebecca both have awful fathers , which shows parents do influence their kids but still their kids are still individuals. Both their parents tried to control them and as a result they are both damaged in a sense , one person more than the other.
      Looking back at the show everything that happened made sense for the characters.
      The finale was good because it really focused on Rebeccas issues.

• Pedro says:

The brilliance of season one was to turn on the trope that the guy the girl loves is a jerk, but the guy who loves her is a gem. Josh and Rebecca were supportive of each other in season 1 and ultimately Greg was destructive.

Of course the show can’t be rainbows and unicorns, but now it’s nothing but tired clichés. Josh was demonised. Rebecca being left at the alter was a forgone, boring conclusion the moment Josh proposed and Nathaniel being the douche she hates at first, but deep down has a heart of gold and is meant to with Rebecca is exhausting.

Not to mention that the rare show that had an Asian as a romantic lead, have that lead turn out to be a jerk and a rich white saviour turn out to be the good guy is troubling.

4. Kate says:

I liked the last music strain was the Villain in My Own Story.

5. ninergrl6 says:

Loved it, as always. Funny and dramatic and shocking all at once. I particularly loved the references to the theme song in the ending montage. “She’s not responsible for her actions… I have no underlying issues to address.” So clever! I hope the whole cast is returning for season 3. I want to see more of Nathaniel. He had the line of the night IMO: “Have fun flying coach, dick.” 😂

6. Jessica says:

I feel like the finale dropped a hint that this could be a delusion and she is still in the mental hospital. But I could be wrong.

7. mia says:

omg great finale! but for a moment there….i thought all west covina was in her head….wow! i can’t wait & i want more Nathaniel!

8. Matthew Lawler says:

Am I the only one that when we saw the Flash Back of Rebecca in an insane asylum being medicated and the nursing she just sits here singing to her self all day at the twist was going to be that the last two seasons have all been a fantasy inside Rebecca’s head

• Jason says:

I saw that as well and started speculating that the characters in the cast are likely staff at the asylum. For example, Paula certainly seems like a therapist that would provide Rebecca with the typical affirmations a therapist would offer. Greg might be a doctor whose residency ended explaining his departure. Noelle is a psychiatrist, Nathaniel is the new no nonsense doctor on the ward, while Whitefeather and others are patients. Anyway, that would fit and also explain why the show spontaneously breaks out into song on occasion ala Chicago or Nine where the musical numbers take place inside the protagonist mind.

9. charit says:

I was really hoping Greg would make an appearance. I thought they’d leave us hanging, wondering if the wedding happened.

10. Kayte CookWatts says:

I am disappointed that it wasn’t funny at all! Last episode I was crying I was laughing so hard, this was just flat and boring. I love all the characters, but this season has been SO uneven- I don’t know if I’ll be sticking with it.

11. Jen says:

bring back Greg.

12. Mario Zelaya says:

Can we please bring back Greg now? Maybe he’s finished school now, & he gets an offer he can’t refuse from Rebecca’s new boss. Nathaniel can be like, “you two know each other?” They can fight over her, while she ignores their advances, because she so fixated on revenge. 😜

13. Lauren says:

This show is criminally underrated. So glad this was just a season finale, can’t wait for season 3. Hope Nathaniel is back too, he’s such a great addition to the cast and to the office dynamic.

14. Emily says:

My lover left me in 2 years ago. he did not contact me, wouldn’t answer my calls and emails, During this period I contacted many casters without results. . But I never lost hope until i got to meet this powerful caster manifestspellcast@ (gmail). com and he did the most wonderful spell for me and after 3 days everything changed, my lover came back, his love spell works fast even in the most complex circumstances, I am recommending his love spell to every couple who wants to get back together, I can say Dr. Todd possessed all the qualities you want if you want to get your lover back, it was like a dream to me, he will solve your relationship problem.

15. John says:

I loved the show in Season 1 but I found Season 2 a little tiresome. It’s hard to care about a cast of characters that have become to uniformly unlikeable. I’m really not interested in watching Rebecca become even more delusional and flat-out hateful on top of it. A lot of misfires this season, in my opinion, culminating in the ridiculous idea that Josh wants to be a priest. A twist like that needs to be set up to some extent, which this wasn’t. At all. It makes total sense that they only thought it up half-way through the season.

16. Ally Oop says:

I absolutely loved this season of Crazy Ex. One of my favourite shows on tv. That cast and the writers are so talented.

17. Diane Allen says:

The finale was fantastic, but I think it needed a couple dance numbers and then could have been split into part 1 and 2. I thought Season 1 was much stronger and the show definitely lost a little of its edge after Greg left and then took a few episodes to get into a new rhythm.
    I am excited that there will be a season 3 and hope the longer hiatus will help the creative staff to come back more energized. I like that we are seeing some growth in Rebecca, but I still want lots of shenanigans especially with Paula.