James Corden vs. Adam Lambert in Queen Front Man Battle — Watch

There’s no stopping James Corden from attempting to prove that he can sing with the best of ’em. And while the Late Late Show host typically holds his own, he found himself struggling to compete with Adam Lambert during Thursday’s Queen front man battle.

Corden challenged the American Idol alum (and current lead singer of Queen) to a duel to determine who could best hit Freddie Mercury’s iconic high notes. The duo, accompanied by original band members Brian May and Roger Taylor, rocked out to such classics as “Don’t Stop Me Now,” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and “Another One Bites the Dust.”

While initially confident enough to refer to Lambert’s performance of “We Will Rock You” as amateurish, Corden eventually admitted that his competition was better suited for such rock and roll anthems. There were no hurt feelings, though: The twosome closed things out harmoniously with a pitch-perfect rendition of “Somebody to Love.”

Press PLAY on the 12-minute (!) battle above (not to worry, it’s totally worth your time), then tell us what other Queen songs (*cough* “Bohemian Rhapsody” *cough*) you would have liked to hear sung by Lambert and Corden.

1. Mary says:

Great segment.

2. Tracy C. says:

I’d RATHER see James Corden front Queen! I don’t think that Adam Lambert is a good fit for them AT ALL! No one can compare to Freddy Mercury…but certainly NOT Adam. Don’t know what they were thinking with him. There’s this guy I saw on YouTube who has a cover band & he’s phenomenal ! As close to Freddie as you’re going to get. They should get HIM. I wouldn’t pay money to see Adam Lambert

• Rhonda says:

Have you actually been to a live show? Well millions disagree with you…they’re selling out venues world-wide and getting RAVE reviews everywhere they go. They wouldn’t have continued had the response not been so great. This has been going on for five years already so give it up. They already said they love him and want nobody else. I can tell you don’t know anything about Brian and Roger at all. They are constantly saying they don’t want an impersonator.

• Collette says:

I’ve seen Queen 4 times, 3x with Freddie [note proper spelling] 1x with Paul Rogers. I’ve seen Adam in concert 3 x. Adam eclipses everyone except Freddie, Cordon included.

• Jayne says:

Another one who can’t spell Freddie’s name properly. And who probably never saw him live (I have, as well as Lambert, who’s the perfect fit.) But I knew it beforehand because Brian May and Roger Taylor said so.

• Your Loss. BTW, know-it-all: sp: FREDDIE; Glad I wont run into you at a concert.

• fiberlicious says:

Good – than means there will be a ticket for me! I’ve loved AL since I first saw him on Idol – no one can really replace Freddie, but he’s the next best thing.

• Mike M says:

Congratulations Tracy, your comment won the award for the stupidest thing said on the internet on Feb 3rd 2017. Take your fingers off the keyboard / screen and put them back in your ears.

• Steve says:

You’re nuts. Adam Lambert is perfect fit and the put on one hell of a show! I’ve seen him and Queen 6 times.

3. Billy Bob Johnson says:

I thought Corden was better. He’s right, they need a Brit out front.

4. Adam with QUEEN is fantastic and I really enjoyed this bit, well, most of it. Corden sang a bit too long.

5. Robin says:

Thank you; this made me smile.
    From American Idol to Queen!!! And yes, Bohemian Rhapsody would have been great!!

6. Ethel says:

Love Adam Lambert but is he channeling his George Michael with this look? Either way, he is awesome

7. Very entertaining segment. Love Adam and James. Love Roger and Brian too!!! Go to a Q+AL show!!! You will glad you did.

8. Lolita says:

love Adam he is so fun and what a voice!!

9. Anandasky says:

I forgot how much I love Adam Lambert’s voice. Went and watched a number of his youtube AI moments after seeing this segment. Also so grateful James Corden is reviving music sing-offs and sing-alongs in such a great way. His voice is quite amazing as well – perhaps best with Adele. :)

10. Mands says:

I thought Corden did a pretty good job! I’m hoping Queen come to Aus again.

11. Soraya E. says:

I think Queen made a good choice picking Adam Lambert, he’s awesome and an extremely talented singer. I wonder if they’ll ever grace my little country with their presence.

12. TJ says:

James Corden is awesome and I loved this segment. There will never be a better front man than Freddie Mercury, though. His talent in second to none and his presence is still on that stage, in every song.

When George Michael performed with Queen for a tribute concert, he did an amazing job. Seeing this made me miss both Freddie and George. Legends.

13. Adam Lambert has two careers going at one time . He was nominated for a Grammy a few years back for a single. He is now working on his fourth album. All three albums were in the top 3 on the 200 Billboard with Trespassing #1. Queen and Adam love doing concerts together which makes for an exciting show. Adam’s voice is probably the best voice of this generation.. Brian May calls Adam ” a gift from god”

14. Adam is the ONLY one that can compare to Freddy Mercury! Amazing!