Please Like Me Cancelled Ending Hulu Season 4

Please Like Me to End With Season 4

Fans might not like this news: Hulu’s bittersweet Australian dramedy Please Like Me is ending after four seasons.

Star and creator Josh Thomas announced the news with a note posted to Twitter on Thursday:

In the note, Thomas says that he and the other Please Like Me producers decided to end the show “because we are really happy with what we’ve made and feel like it’s complete.” He also thanks the fans, the show’s cast and crew — and even “Mum and Dad”! (Yes, he’s Australian.)

Please Like Me starred Thomas as a young gay man in Australia dealing with awkward dating experiences, his friends’ romantic misadventures and his divorced parents. It got decidedly dark at times — in the pilot, Josh’s mother attempts suicide — but was a cult critical favorite both in Australia and here in the U.S.

The first three seasons of Please Like Me aired on the now-defunct cable network Pivot; it moved to Hulu for Season 4, where all four seasons are now available for streaming.

Any Please Like Me fans out there? Please join us in the comments and tell us why you’ll miss it.

1. hipper says:

Sad. Such an underrated series. It’s definitely best to binge it all on Hulu.

2. Adam says:

Disappointed but happy with what episodes we were able to get. Definitely one of my favorite television shows of all time – there isn’t a TV show or character that I can relate to more or feel as represented by.

3. Adam says:

Also to editors – Josh’s mom doesn’t attempt to kill herself after he comes out to her. She attempts suicide in that episode off-screen, but his mother doesn’t find out he is gay until several episodes later (and then says she always knew). He does start to come to terms with being gay that episode and has his first experience with another guy, but they’re separate story lines.

4. webly3 says:

I’m very sad that it ended, but I do think that it makes sense to end it after watching the entire fourth season. And, it’s a great gem that I hope people acknowledge.

5. popeye013 says:

Irks me when articles like this ignore its original home, of ABC Australia, purely to focus on its US home, which is just plain rude!
    The ABC took a punt on this and it turned out to be epic, to ignore that faith does a massive disrespect to the ABC

6. googly eyes says:

Season 4 was incredible. A shame it’s not a US show or it’d be Emmy-nominated by now.

7. First 3 seasons are offered in Netflix too. It is like I saw it on Netflix Spain. Either way, I don’t know if I will still watch season 4, when available in Netflix. It was wrongly sold as a “gay series” when it is more about “mental illness series”.

8. Erin B says:

Sad to see it go. I was just wondering the other day how long it would be until we got a new season. I wish we had a few more wrap-up episodes, but I can see how the finale could be a series finale.

9. Mr. Sunshine says:

Just finished binge watching on Hulu! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I do think that the ending was a nice way to end the show, but certainly would like a bit of more closure. Does Josh find that special someone or would he and Tom be destined to be forever best friends and roommates.