Riverdale Spoilers

Riverdale Stars on Jughead's Sexuality, Veronica/Betty Kiss and 'Twincest'

There’s no question that The CW’s Archie adaptation Riverdale (Thursdays, 9/8c) is sexed up. The famous ginger is having an affair with a young Ms. Grundy, after all.

But is Jughead asexual, like his comics counterpart? While we’re on the subject of sexuality, does town newcomer Veronica like girls? And what’s the deal with the incestuous vibe between the Blossom twins?

Read on for the answers to those burning Qs straight from the show’s stars.

Riverdale SpoilersIS VERONICA BI? | Was the brunette’s smooch with Betty in the series premiere a hint of something romantic – Veronica does seem particularly drawn to the girl next door – or was it just a ploy? “I get that question a lot,” Camila Mendes admits. “That moment, I don’t think was supposed to be a romantic one… I think that was a way to get Cheryl’s attention. Veronica is a manipulative person. She just wanted to take hold of the situation. But that being said, it wouldn’t be out of the question for her to be bisexual, and maybe she is, and maybe that’s something that could be explored one day. But it’s not something we’ve really decided on.”

WILL JUGHEAD BE ASEXUAL? | The recent comics written by Chip Zdarsky revealed that Archie’s pal is asexual, but the CW drama won’t be following in those footsteps — for now. “I, personally, would love to see that exploration, but I’m just the actor,” says Cole Sprouse, who plays Jughead. “It seems to me that they’re not going to explore that angle. That’s kind of unfortunate, to be quite honest. I think there’s a lot of room for growth in that, and that kind of representation is quite interesting, and it’s needed, frankly.” But Sprouse also notes that Jughead’s asexuality has “only really been canon in a single iteration of the Archie universe. … Unfortunately for the other representations of Jughead, it has garnered much of the attention [for] his character. So it’s not in the digest, it’s not in any of the previous [comics], and now it’s become kind of the linchpin of his character, which I also don’t know if that’s right.”

Riverdale Cheryl/Jason BlossomWHAT’S UP WITH THE BLOSSOM TWINS? | If you noticed a strange energy between Cheryl (played by Madelaine Petsch) and Jason Blossom (Trevor Stines) during the show’s opening minutes — what kind of teen siblings go for an early morning boat ride in matching outfits?! — you’re not the only one. “We have this joke on set: We call it ‘twincest,'” Petsch shares. So just what are sis’ feelings for her brother, whom the actress calls “the love of [Cheryl’s] life”?

“She’s not in love with him in an intimate and sexual way,” Petsch clarifies. “It’s that he’s the only person who’s ever shown her unconditional love, and [he’s] the only person she’s ever unloaded unconditional love back to. So it’s a very awkward, weird place for her when she loses him to realize she’s so in love with him and so obsessed with him because no one loves her like he did. Her family doesn’t show love to her. She’s distraught and so lonely without him.”

1. lrdslvrhnd says:

It wasn’t just the punting on the river in matching outfits at dawn. It was also the hand-holding, and her calling him her “soulmate”, not to mention her clear jealousy of his relationship with Betty’s sister. There’s a definite creep factor there.

2. Jared says:

Can’t wait to see where Riverdale goes plot wise because the pilot set up so many good storylines to explore.

3. Anne says:

Well I really enjoyed the premiere and the weird tone. I’ll be disappointed if they don’t explore the sexuality of the characters though. Why go so avante-noir with the show if you arent going to explore what that genre has to offer.
    Diehards who would be offended with the bi and ace stuff are likely not watching because of the tone shift (and the Grundy!!)So embrace it.
    Going Veronica/Betty and an ace-Jughead are narratively more interesting.

4. Azerty says:

I hope it will live up the hype because it seems they promoted that show a lot, as the new face of the CW. The pilot worked for me, it made me think of something between Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars. I hope they will learn of the mistakes of both of these shows. Now classic CW: none of the actors look the age of being in high school!

• ndixit says:

It’s funny that Cole Sprouse spent like 8 years playing Cody as a child actor on Disney ended with the character graduating high school, only to return to acting many years later to play a sophomore in high school.

• ninergrl6 says:

My main gripe with the show is that the actors look NOTHING like high school sophomores. Seniors maybe, but NO WAY do I buy the age they’re supposed to be and it constantly pulls me out of the drama of the scenes. Why did the show make the characters so young?

5. R.O.B. says:

Everybody listen to what Hollywood tells you is important. Not the innocent old Archie comics. What is important is sex with whoever, whenever, however. Sex is the most important thing in life. And don’t be silly and imply it, we need to SEE IT. Incest vibes, why not?

• ScottJ says:

The show isn’t based on the innocent, and ancient, Archie Comics. Its based on the re-vamped comics of 3 or 4 years ago.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Obviously sex is the most important thing in life. Without sex we wouldn’t be here. The whole purpose of any living creature is something DNA has created to make more DNA. It’s basically what the chicken and the egg is all about. A chicken is an egg’s means of creating more eggs.

6. David Graf says:

One of the things that I appreciate about TvLine is that it saves me so much time that would otherwise be wasted. Thanks to TvLine, I’ve found shows that I really love like “The Good Place” and have avoided shows like this. Thank you!

• Austin says:

The show is ok, the main reasons I watch it are The murder mystery, and because Camila Mendes is really hot. And I have nothing else to do. I definitely wouldn’t rate it as a great show but it’s also not 100% terrible

• Btm says:

I’m watching it as satire. Archie sleeping w/ Grundy, Polly’s breakdown, bi-curious Moose, Mr. Lodge in jail for embezzlement… It’s like adding zombies to Pride and Prejudice.

• Milton says:

All of the characters are like parodies of their comic book counterparts. I think it would have been even funnier if Ms Gundy in the TV show had been portrayed by an elderly woman like in the comics, maybe her and Archie could have hooked up something like in American Pie 3.

7. Tony says:

I think I will just go to the recycle shop downtown and buy some old copies of ARCHIE’s DIGEST. Better worth my time.

8. dean says:

Thursday nights are incest nights on the CW!

9. Ally Oop says:

So what’s everyone’s consensus? I have the show sitting on my DVR. Is it worth watching?

10. Adam says:

The CW — where we can’t get our own stuff to stick so we just keep adapting comic book properties (Riverdale, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, iZombie)

• Anne says:

Oh so different from everywhere else that just keeps recycling the same cop drama over and over again.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

So they should do like the major networks and make shows about old movies? Limitless, Rush Hour, Training Day, Lethal Weapon, The Exorcist, Bad Teacher. They did try that with Frequency and it was a big flop.

• Victorhdavid says:

Don’t forget that Jane The Virgin is a adaptation of a soap, The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, The 100, Hellcats are adaptation of books, 90210, Nikita, Frequency remakes, The Originals a spin-off, Reign based in actually history, No Tomorrow a adaptation of a brazilian limited series and probably a ton more of other shows lol

11. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

They should have a scene where Jughead reproduces asexually, like an aphid or a kalanchoe daigremontiana.

12. Squirrelly says:

Jughead is ace? I was always under the impression he was burger-sexual!

No more drunken night-time fanfiction browsing for me anymore…

13. Btm says:

My favorite part was the flashback of the Blossoms at Pop’s, where their one shake had two straws.

14. Jack Smythe says:

what of kevin keller, the recent addition to riverdale high in comics. he is out and gay without much thought given to that, but did they suggest that moose is bi curious, or possibly gay. we can’t have kevin having no more sexual action than jughead…