Post Mortems
Switched at Birth Recap

Switched at Birth EP Talks Love Triangle Fallout, Emmett's 'Real and Scary' Arc

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Tuesday’s Switched at Birth premiere.

China is for lovers?

During Switched at Birth‘s fifth and final season premiere on Tuesday night, Bay made her choice between ex Emmett and his BFF Travis when the latter came to China for a visit… and ended up staying for months. The new couple quickly got serious, shacking up together, before a call from home sent them and Daphne racing back to Kansas City.

So what was big enough to uproot the trio? It turns out life has not been so sunny for Emmett in L.A., and he overdosed on a bunch of pills, almost lethally.

Below, executive producer Lizzy Weiss discusses Emmett’s ongoing battle with depression, and why Bay needed to pick Travis.

TVLINE | Travis comes to visit Bay in China, and you make a choice in the love triangle. Why did you decide to go in that specific direction?
Bay and Emmett have been through so much and so many ups and downs, and they may end up together in the long run, but for right now… that’s put to bed a little bit. And Travis is this incredible guy, [whom] she’s become very close to, and they’ve shared a lot. She needed to give him a try. … And we were excited about a fresh relationship. We love how it turned out. They get to have great fights, though, about everything, including Emmett. He’s a little bit of a shadow in their relationship in the beginning, and we deal with that later.

TVLINE | Do you feel like Bay and Travis living together in China, separate from everything that’s going on back home, made their relationship progress at a much faster speed?
Totally, yeah. We talked about that a lot, that they were sort of living not real life. They didn’t have parents. They didn’t have Emmett around to make them feel guilty or weird, and in fact, that becomes an issue that we explore when they come back: “Now that we’re back in real life, how are we? Was it just something that was because we were away on this incredible journey together?” That’s a real question and a good one.

TVLINE | What effect does Bay and Travis coming home have on Emmett going forward?
It’s ironic, of course, because Emmett dated Skye first, but the heart doesn’t deal with logic too much. So of course, he’s trying to be a mensch about it, but it’s hard. Travis is family to him. So part of him feels like it’s a betrayal for Travis to go after Bay. At the same time, he broke up with Bay himself. It’s very complicated. He has to deal with that himself. Did he make the wrong choice by breaking up with Bay? Does he have regrets? All of those kinds of questions.

TVLINE | In the premiere, we see the seeds of something going on with Emmett, that he’s dealing with depression. What is he facing?
We all knew people in college who, just biologically, that’s what happens to some kids at a certain age. That’s when depression manifests itself, and we thought it would be just really interesting to see a character like Emmett, who we all know is so incredibly confident and strong, go through something that a lot of kids go through and how that jars him. But he has this incredible mom. He has a great support system. It’s just something that we hadn’t seen explored in a way that was touching and thoughtful and real and scary.

Switched at Birth fans, was the premiere worth the 15-month wait? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments!

1. Maria says:

Glad to have them back. Sad it’s for the last time. :(

2. Pamela says:

What about Bay feeling guilty over her bff MaryBeth? I guess she will be conveniently missing this season.

3. Andrew Hass says:

I’m sure Bay will be there for Emmett as his friend and maybe they will get back together in time .As for Bay and Travis, it could be interesting to see how they deal with the reality of been back home because in China they were sort of living in a fantasy world.So the reality for them might be very different.

• Devin mars says:

Emmett and bayyyyy. Finally the chemistry is back with all its heart racing affects. Maybe this time they can face everything together. Travis is so more meant for Daphne. Why was Regina’s second chance at happiness taken so she can be with a college student? Trying to relate to every day issues? It’s not often we see mom dating a college student!!! That is definitely out of her character. First ever stepped out of character now her. If the week gives me anything I just hope it’s bay and Emmett together again at last !!!!!!

4. Sydney Redart says:

Why did you put so many cliffhangers in the very first? I cant belive that Angelio might be coming back. I’m looking forward to what you do with it.

5. sarah t says:

I thought this was a solid start to the final season (that we had to wait forever for). I actually don’t mind Bay and Travis together but for me, end game will always be Bay and Emmett so that’s what I’m pulling for. I had a feeling she would pick Travis. Mainly because (at the time), Emmett was taken and she was ready for a fresh start. Them being in China only added to the “freshness” of it all so my guess is they’ll do the whole push and pull between her and Emmett and her and Travis with her ultimately ending up with Emmett at the end.
    I’m not really crazy about Regina’s story line. I feel like they don’t really know what to do with her character so they either give her unnecessary drama or bog her down with trivial story lines. I wish they would just give her a solid love interest that doesn’t have any secrets and let it develop naturally.

6. Kelsey says:

I don’t see Bay choosing to date Travis when he is her good friend’s (MB) ex BF AND also her ex-bfs brother. That’s too much, no one irl would do that and risk that many relationships.

I also kind of feel that with how the drama of Bay and Emmett’s relationship happened (Bay choosing to take a felony for Daphne and not move to LA, thereby creating a lot of angst for her and Emmett) that it does seem like a betrayal by Travis. But yet again, Emmett did break up with Bay himself.

7. Leah says:

I think right from the start when Emmett and Bay first looked into each others eyes they new it some how that they would be together and I really hope they end up together because they make a really cute couple and as much as I love Trevor too I just think Emmett and Bay has more of a connection then Trevor and Bay and I really hope Bay and Emmett gets married and stays together forever because some how they new it was ment to last forever and yeah things has gotten in the way but they always know how to let it slide because they are so in love with each other. Know one would ever feel the same connection they did with each other then they did with anyone else. I love Emmett so much and they just belong together.

8. bananallamacorn says:

BAT AND TRAVIS ARE SO CUTE TOGETHER I LOVE IT I HOPE SHE WILL CHOOSE HIM AT THE END OF THE SHOW!!!!!!

9. Brianna Ranae Cross says:

i think bay should pick emmet

10. Brianna Ranae Cross says:

bay and emmet were meant to be

11. gemini says:

i hate travis and bay together, idk why but i still like bay and emmet and think they are meant to be not travis!!!!!