Oprah Winfrey Joins 60 Minutes to Help Mend 'Divided' Nation

It’s not the Oprah Winfrey Show revival that Michael Ausiello campaigned for, but it’s a decent consolation prize: Oprah Winfrey is joining 60 Minutes as a special contributor.

Winfrey’s hire was announced on Tuesday by executive producer Jeff Fager, who touted the acclaimed broadcaster’s “extraordinary” body of work and her unmatched “level of integrity.”

“There is only one Oprah Winfrey,” Fager said. “She has achieved excellence in everything she has touched. Her body of work is extraordinary, including thousands of interviews with people from all walks of life. She is a remarkable and talented woman with a level of integrity that sets her apart and makes her a perfect fit for 60 Minutes. I am thrilled that she will be bringing her unique and powerful voice to our broadcast.”

“I’ve been a big admirer of 60 Minutes since my days as a young reporter,” Winfrey said in a statement. “I’m so excited and proud to join forces with this historic news program, which for me represents the bastion of journalistic storytelling. At a time when people are so divided, my intention is to bring relevant insight and perspective, to look at what separates us, and help facilitate real conversations between people from different backgrounds.”

Winfrey will make her 60 Minutes debut this fall.

1. Gwen says:

I am so disappointed by this news. I stopped watching her talk show when it became so much more about her and her wonderful life (“my home in Hawaii, my ranch, my friend *any Hollywood celebrity* etc.). She has her own network; “60 Minutes” already has a fine panel of reporters and doesn’t need her.

2. Bigdede says:

Will she do Oprah’s favorite things?

3. Rosie says:

no thanks won’t be watching any more…I agree with previous comment by Gwen…Are you kidding me, she asks questions and does not give peeps time to answer…she is self serving….

4. Bluegal says:

Do we need more of Oprah talking about herself?

Let’s remember Oprah had stated that Trump was “humbled” by being elected president.

We need distinctions between serious journalism and entertainment.

5. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t think Oprah Winfrey will be on 60 Minutes every week but maybe she does special interviews or special reports.

6. Brenda says:

She is to biased. I hope this doesnt divide us even more. She has made it very well known that she’s friends with ex-president’s and I just pray she doesnt stir the pot….
    God Help and Bless us ALL..

7. Red Apple says:

gag me

8. Shib Neddeff says:

LOL, Oprah is the nations biggest scam artist wake up, she causes more division than helps only like people who agree with her…

9. T says:

I don’t normally watch 60 minutes but this makes me even less likely. She just ruined the CBS Mary Tyler Moore special by making it all about her so I don’t really see how she will do anything different to this show.

• Nan says:

omg so true…I was so pissed watched the tribute because of her…well Gayle was the host so surprise.

• Iakovos says:

I thought Oprah’s contributions to the MTM special were important but yes, the balance was not right. Wish I would have heard from more co-stars, seen more clips of Miss Moore, particularly outside the two sitcoms, and learned more about her charity work.

10. Pamela Forbes says:

No more 6o minutes for me then!

11. peegee says:

She has brought Weight Watchers down to a farce with her I LOVE>>>>>>>>(you name it )
    I enjoy 6o Minutes due to the solid reporting, but not her. I will skip over her segments. Very Very bad move- Who the hell is she anyway but a blowhard like her poet friend Maybe her very very best friend in the world will co host

12. John McGraw says:

SHE is a major contributor to the divided nation. CBS just does not get it!

13. Ninamags says:

Hehehe. I’m sure this is NOT the response that was expected.

I’ve never been a fan of Winfrey.

I will still watch 60 Minutes, though. They still do actual investigative journalism. Like some stated, I’ll just skip over her segments.

14. Jeremy says:

I don’t mind Oprah being on 60 Minutes. She will fit perfectly there. The program is a shell of it’s former self. It’s become an entertainment show with occasional reporting rather than the in-depth, hard-hitting news program it was up until about 15 years ago.
    If people want to be truly informed, watch “Frontline” on PBS.

15. Daisy says:

What a bizarre comment section. You folks need to settle down.

• funnibone31 says:

I agree, JFC, people if you don’t want to watch her segments then skip that week. But to throw in the towel for 60 minutes because your experiencing some cognitive dissonance is completely stupid.

• Annie Sisk says:

Agreed. I think Winfrey is as flawed as the rest of our sad pathetic species but she’s certainly a skilled interviewer, and has quite a bit of empathy. I’m intrigued to see how often she’ll participate and what kind of stories she’ll be involved in.

• Jeff says:

LOL. It’s frustrating when we have to be tolerant of people who have opinions that differ from our own, isn’t it?

• jj. says:

yeah i’m very confused by this comment section. I’m sure every episode with oprah will receive plenty of commercials, if you’re not a fan no one is forcing you to watch

16. Cori Nichols says:

Love her. Good job 60 minutes. It is nice to see her back on such a good news program. She is very intelligent and people respect her.

17. c-mo says:

Are the rating for 60 Minutes so bad that they feel the must do this? I, for one, think it’s a bad move; her style of “journalism” would be a better fit for Sunday Morning and not a hard-hitting show like 60 Minutes. And please, the “help mend the divide” line is pretty out of touch now that the kool-aid she was feeding people has finally gotten out of their systems; she’s more divisive than uniting.

18. ellajasper says:

I won’t be watching. I watched 60 minutes for serious news. Seriously, CBS?

19. :-) says:

Oprah as an interviewer is incredible. I might check it out. I’m more curious as to why she’s interested in this partnership, especially as i thought she had an association with ABC

20. Leanne says:

wont watch her. she is one sides only and definitely NOT diverse.

21. cruisemama98 says:

I’ve been a long time fan and watcher of 60 Minutes and have enjoyed all of their correspondents up until now. I will be skipping Oprah’s segments. Her addition to this otherwise stellar news program has further divided us rather than brought us together.

22. Lynn says:

Because when you think of how to heal a divided nation you automatically think the out of touch billionaire who hasn’t been poor in 40 years can do it. No wonder networks are in trouble, they are clueless.

23. Kim says:

Mend a divided nation? She is one of the biggest racists of all. That’s why I quit watching her and have OWN blocked on my TV. She hates white people.

24. Rita Avalo says:

So very happy to have her on tv only wish she had her own show again.I watch 60 minutes anyway😃😃😃😃😃

25. TV Line just published this article saying Oprah should revive her show and this happens! It’s the next best thing lol! Wonderful news. I love Oprah :)

26. bill says:

Are YOU kidding OPRHA & 60 Minutes ! come on

27. YallMad? says:

A lot of Trump supporters in this comment section.