Ratings: Supergirl Dips Again, Gotham Ticks Down With Winter Finale

The CW’s Supergirl on Monday night drew 2.35 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating (per finals), ticking down on both counts to mark its second-lowest numbers ever, besting only last Halloween’s 2.22 mil/0.6.

Leading out of that, Jane the Virgin (910K/0.3) also dipped.

Fox’s Gotham (3.46 mil/1.1) ticked down with its winter finale, while Lucifer (4.2 mil/1.2) held onto last week’s best-since-premiere numbers.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Bubble comedy The Odd Couple‘s double pump did 5.8 mil/1.1 and then 5.3 mil/0.9, compared to the 5.6 mil/1.1 that last season’s finale put up. A Big Bang Rerun drew Monday’s largest audience, with 8.5 million viewers.

NBC | The Celeb Apprentice (3.7 mil/1.0) dipped some more, while bubble drama Timeless (3.5 mil/0.9) was steady.

ABC | The Bachelor (7.2 mil/2.3) dipped, yet dominated the night in the demo. Quantico (2.8 mil/0.7) dipped a tenth from last week’s Monday debut.

1. Equate5 says:

Unless CW is showing/selling advertisers some online numbers that they are believing…

There needs to be a serious rethinking by powers that be on the down numbers across the Berlanti comic verse.

2. kmw says:

That Monday at 10 time slot sure hasn’t found a winner on any network. Gotham did ok and nice that Lucifer stayed the same but now about when they come back? Good luck with getting better numbers than they are already getting right now. Supergirl not doing so well after their layoff I hope that doesn’t last

3. Penny says:

Maybe it’s because I’m still bitter Conviction is ‘essentially canceled’ and this is petty but it definitely brought in more eyeballs than Quantico is in the same time slot. Maybe not the demo but definitely a larger audience.

4. As a fan of Supergirl and Gotham, this is disappointing.

5. Jason says:

Supergirls numbers may be down but we shouldn’t forget that those are still great CW numbers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, they are good CW numbers, yet it does point to a trend.

• Sumit says:

Everything has been ticking down, everywhere. Few outliers like Empire or This is Us, but in general, people are watching less and less appointment TV every year.

• Jason says:

A trend which seems of questionable concern to the CW. They pretty much renew everything anyway. “You get a renewal. And YOU get a renewal! EVERYBODY gets a renewal!” If a show makes it past season one, it seems destined for the long haul.

• rayme says:

Is the fan base for CW more intense that for other networks? I know I have a lot of hours set for CW shows, really looking forward to 100, and even build Friday around Crazy Ex. They have quality shows — what would get them higher ratings?

• jason says:

Don’t kid yourself, numbers will continue to decline as long as main story line continues to be her sisters coming out! When will they get it that it doesn’t attract viewers or do anything to promote tolerance! Wake up CW you can see what the Flash is doing, stick to the comic book roots.

6. Kevin says:

Last night’s episode of Timeless was nothing but emotional and Matt Lanter as Wyatt Logan could be a nominee for POTW. I know the series is on the bubble right now even though two of NBC shows that debuted in the Fall have already been renewed in This Is Us and The Good Place leaving Timeless as the only show that will determine its fate by the network soon.

7. Penny says:

Call it petty or maybe just bitterness that It’s ‘essentially canceled’ but Conviction did better in the Monday time slot than Quantico is. Maybe not in the demo but definitely in eyeballs.

8. Jennifer says:

Here’s a thought on the Bachelor. the only reason it did well was additional eyes for a certain trailer. How is this show / concept still a thing?!?!?!?!

9. DavidJ says:

Shame about Supergirl’s ratings, as I think it’s had a pretty strong season so far (and is now my favorite DC show). Maybe they need to think about bringing Superman back for another appearance?

• herman1959 says:

That would only help for the particular episode(s) Superman is in. I think a more long-term solution would be to get rid of that awful Big Bad and the annoying Mon-El, both of them are bringing the show down (in my opinion).

• delow 24 says:

They probably need to get rid of some of the love stories too. I am having to fast forward through more and more of the show because I cannot expose my daughter to the narrative being forced on us. Supergirl has also become a bit annoying this year, with a lot of the same points being covered in each show. In my opinion, last year on CBS was a lot better as far as the storytelling across the season.

• Bud Crumley says:

supergirl took a strong talented woman like kara’s sister, and turned her into a lesbian..the gay stuff could of been left out of the show along with the over dramatic love story arcs,

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

One (1) user name per IP address, thanks so much! –Mgmt.

• Jim says:

Also it’s “could have,” not “could of.” Unsurprising someone ignorant enough to be a bigot would show ignorance of something so simple as that.

• delow 24 says:

Yes, not EVERY show has to advance the various political agendas. The ratings are likely showing the effects here while the Flash and Legends do not promote an agenda and seem to be holding steady. Unfortunately, the days of just being entertained are over I guess.

10. A says:

Does Timeless steadiness help it at all? It’s a demo below its lead in.

• Kevin says:

It’s because Timeless is the only new show in the Fall that could determine its fate by NBC soon even though the network renew This Is Us and The Good Place (both shows that debuted in the Fall). The numbers for Timeless didn’t improve without a Voice lead-in.

11. Joe says:

I know quite a few people who have been binging on past seasons of Gotham. If that’s happening on a wider scale, it’s a shame that it’s not translating into new viewers for the new episode broadcasts. I remember back in the 90s when Law & Order only saw decent ratings until re-runs began playing every day on A&E. All of a sudden, L&O weekly broadcast ratings went through the roof and it was safe for years after that. My hunch is that these newer viewers are just assuming future seasons will continue to just show up on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon like the shows made by those companies.

12. ToyCannon says:

Should “Gotham” fans be worried about a season 4?

• Danny123 says:

No. Most shows never get canceled in season 3 due to syndication. Hart of Dixie is a good example. Horrible ratings but still got a season 4. Gotham won’t get a 5th season though if ratings keep dropping but there already thinking of ideas for season 4.

• You say that like it’s a bad thing. Gotham is still doing well enough to get renewed. Lucifer is in more danger. And Supergirl has already been renewed.

13. I suspect that some were watching Supergirl expecting it to be part of the big crossover they were promoting. Supergirl herself was, but not the show. It only showed that it wasn’t significant to the Arrowverse.

14. At this point I have to imagine the DCW-Verse is powered by Netflix and the CW App. Supergirl is the only one I watch same day now, the rest I’m waiting for them to appear on Netflix.

I still find it weird that the CW shows are considered such big success stories, when they are doing pretty poorly overall.

15. Richard says:

Of late there is too much going on. Too many fractered story lines. Too many characters interactions. In other words, where is Supergirl. Above and beyond all that.

16. nealana says:

I like supergirl, but because I have direct tv, unless there was an agreement made at last minute. I was unable to watch…sigh.

17. nealana says:

I like super girl, but because I have direct tv,I was unable to watch. Unless an agreement was made at the last minute. I missed out!!

18. I’m really not into Supergirl this season. I like MB but there is something off for me the way they write her. I want her to have more of the personality that she has when she’s in Supergirl mode. I watch out of loyalty not because it’s must see. Lucifer on the other hand has been one of my faves, I care about the characters. The show has been funny and dramatic and I love it. I also hope that Timeless gets the numbers it deserves, it’s a really good show.

19. Socruz says:

I do like super girl but it seems like every week it’s the same thing… if you miss a episode your not really missing anything.

20. Alrisha says:

Maybe if Supergirl get rid of the awful Guardian (That boy can’t act) and so much love stories. There’re so many things happen right now, and so many have nothing to do with Supergirl is boring. There is an idea: focus in Supergirl, since the show is call, you know, Supergirl. And maybe found a way to get Cat back, no one bring what she does to the show.

21. poonturtle says:

The social engineering being done by supergirl has turned me off, i just want to watch supergirl kick butt and give us a decent superhero style storyline, not lbgt comming out parties and everything else they try to cram into the show.

22. Tony says:

I’m confused – what’s a winter finale? Isn’t that what happened before the Christmas break is? TV doesn’t make any sense anymore.

23. Ralph says:

It would help if the CW/DC shows wouldn’t go into 6 week hiatuses every winter. Out of sight out of mind. They need to start going into production earlier. We live in an era with average citizens having a 3 minute attention span. When the show’s finally return people have usually moved on or forgot when they ere coming back. I DVR them all and binge watch them on the weekend.

24. lee says:

Supergirl started out as an enjoyable guilty pleasure on CBS. On the CW it’s a full blown adult power ranger show with gimmicky plot lines galore. Supergirl ended the first season by having Kara broadcast a message of hope through SD channels. Yes, that’s the dramatic resolution to an alien mind hijack of a major city.

The CW apparently doesn’t care about ratings or the competition cleaning their clocks on prime time hours. Without the threat of cancellation, these shows have no incentive to improve. Or even honor CB canon. Why is Jimmy Olsen the head of Catco? Why is he the “Guardian”, who’s apparently someone else entirely in the comics (James Harper is a jerk colonel in the show)?

Hank Henshaw is the green Martian in the show, but the original Hank Henshaw calls himself the “Cyborg Superman” despite the lack of any connection to Superman.