Doctor Who Peter Capaldi Leaving Season 10

Doctor Who Star Peter Capaldi Says Season 10 'Will Be My Last'

Timey-wimey to hang it up for good?

Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi said Monday that the upcoming tenth season of the British sci-fi saga “will be my last.”

The actor made his announcement during an interview on BBC Radio 2, and the show’s Twitter account subsequently confirmed the news.

“I feel it’s time to move on,” Capaldi added.

Capaldi assumed the role of Time Lord in 2013, taking over for Matt Smith.

The upcoming season, which will air in 2017, also will be the final one for showrunner Steven Moffat. In January, the series boss said he would leave the series after Season 10. Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch) will take over showrunning duties starting with Season 11.

• Phil says:

Sorry, that was snarky, but I won’t miss Dr. CrankyPJPants who can’t decide between a suit or a comb. To be fair, 80% of that blame goes to Moffatt, but Capaldi was just hard to watch in this role, sucked a lot of the fun out of the show. Looking forward to a hard reset with the new show runner!

This new season sure is feeling like a lame duck.

• Temperance says:

Yup, excellent. I watched the first 2-3 of his episodes, already not being pleased, and haven’t bothered to watch one since. Being a big Who fan, I’m looking forward to a new Doctor.

• Tonya Sevier says:

Me too. I was disappointed from the beginning about where they went with the doctor. It was too much of a personality changed. There was no resemblance to don’t part the previous doctors. The Only memorable part of the last two years is the phrase “do as your told”

1. Jim says:

Good. The show needs a comprehensive makeover. Capaldi isn’t the issue with the current state of it, but a blank slate will be a boon regardless.

2. Haz says:

Actors are supposed to be versatile but I just always see Malcom Tucker when he’s on screen.

3. Ben says:

I was hoping Capaldi would last a bit longer than the now standard ‘three seasons’ – I want to be surprised by someone sticking it out for a bit longer. I’ve really enjoyed the Capaldi era, looking forward to seeing what comes next. I don’t know if it’s viable, but perhaps John Boyega?

4. Teresa says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t this the Doctor’s last regeneration? From what I remember Matt Smith’s doctor couldn’t regenerate, but the Time Lords gave him power for one last regeneration. So I was under the impression this whole time that Peter Capaldi’s doctor would be the last doctor of the show. It’ll be interesting to see how they explain yet another regeneration.

• Butch says:

No I believe the Doctor got another cycle of 12 regenerations not just one.

• Mark Ferrell says:

No. I think the time lords gave him a whole new life cycle.

• John Anderson says:

It was explained in Sarah Jane Adventures that the regeneration cycle isn’t fixed anymore. Some timeywimey wibbly wobbly string theory explanation.

• The BBC will give him as many regenerations as he needs.

I’m not surprised he’s leaving considering Moffat is leaving as well. It allows Chibnall to start completely fresh.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Yep, as Butch says, it was a completely new cycle. Translation: “We don’t want to have to deal with this again in a few more years, so let’s just do a hard-reset and we’ll all be dead by the time anybody has to worry about it again…”

5. drb999 says:

Dang, I liked Capaldi. Still it gives the new showrunner a clean slate. I’d like to see Tom Mison play the new Doctor. I’m sure he’ll need a new job soon.

• John Anderson says:

TOM RILEY! Not Tom Mison. God no.

Might as well get the doctor from someone who’s appeared in the series before as a guest star. They’ve already done it with Capaldi (was in the vesuvius episode with Donna Noble), made a companion out of Amy Pond (was one of the mysterious sisters in the same episode)

Why not make it Tom Riley who was Robin Hood… not to mention that he’s a great actor as evidenced by Da Vinci’s Demons.

• May says:

Yes, YES, YES… Young , Good looking & Witty!!! Breathe some new life into the show!
        My daughter & her friend agree!!He would be perfect!

• Susie Excell says:

Tom mison would be fabulous..he’s Hot…. im a who fan too but i just could not get into Capaldi
          He was so dry and hard to watch. I stopped watching Dr who for the ladt two seasons.!!!! On a side note i hated Clara. ..

6. Will says:

Capaldi is easily the best actor the show has ever had. Shame it’s been at a time when the writing was at an all time low.

7. DavidJ says:

Sad to hear this. I know the storytelling hasn’t been as consistently strong as in previous seasons(and they probably made him a little TOO cranky early on), but he’s still given some absolutely incredible performances and been a very compelling Doctor to watch. And it was also just nice to have an older Doctor again.

8. Butch says:

Perhaps its finally time for a woman and or a person of color to be the next Doctor.

9. bskel says:

Teresa,
    The Timelords gave him, as 11 proclaimed, ‘a whole new regeneration cycle’ Capaldi is the first of that new cycle.

10. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Moffat should have left when Matt Smith left. Most of his Capaldi era seemed like he had run out of gas, and ideas. Question will be, do they keep Bill or start everything from scratch?

11. Jara says:

Hell NO. The best Doctor of the new series :( It feels like he just started. He is a brilliant actor and I look forward to see him on something else as well but..damn. Let´s hope they will bring someone equally good and not another “Look, I am the Doctor and I am waving my hands wildy!” Smith….

12. AJ says:

He is a great doctor, my second favorite after Tennant. He deserved better material. He could only do so much with Moffat’s mediocre writing.

• patm387 says:

Agree that he deserved better material (though “Hellsent” is one of the 2 or 3 best eps in the new Who). But for me, he’s tied with Tennant. As for his crankiness, I think there was a deliberate decision to go in the opposite direction from Matt Smith’s eternally cheerful Doctor.

13. Alex Jones says:

so will the season finale be his last episode or is he leaving in the christmas special?

14. Mike says:

Moffat has written some of the best episodes for this show and for Sherlock. I , for one, will be sorry to see him go. As for Capaldi, I wasn’t crazy about him for his first season but he’s gotten better. Just seems to old and not very nimble.

15. Matthew Lawler says:

Peter has been the absolute worst of the new series of doctors I am glad him and his guitar and his sonic sunglasses are hitting the road that should be interesting to see if they decide to break the mold and go with a female or a person of color or ethnicity other than Caucasian perhaps even go the route they did with Captain Jack and have a doctor that is bisexual if not out right Gay

• Chris says:

I miss torchwood so much :( I could always use more captain jack

• Thomas R says:

I’ve thought for a while now that it would be interesting to go with a really young doctor. Like 15/16ish years old. It’s something they’ve never done and would open up a lot of new material. I’m not against a women, minority, or LGBT either; just really like the idea of being as young as possible while still having a great actor. (Sorry, just my opinion, but children are at best passable but generally horrendous actors. I can’t even stomach the first two Harry Potter movies because the main characters give cringe worthy performances.)

16. Izzy says:

This makes me so sad. I adore Capaldi in anything but it’s a shame we won’t get to see him lasting longer due to the change of showrunner. It’s like David Tennant all over again (“I don’t want to go”)

So now speculation is going to be out of control until the official next Doctor announcement, are they (BBC) going for young/dashing/experienced/known/unknown..

17. equate5 says:

Best actor, bad scripts, horrible storylines and the show being made more about Clara than the Doctor to the point Clara is running about in another tardis.

18. Tom says:

Time for a female Doctor. I still say Kerry Condon with her Irish accent would be perfect

19. kirads09 says:

I adore Capaldi and am sad to hear this. Dear God – just to name a few things
    THAT talkdown of the Zygons and Unit (He needs to be Prez of the World for reals)
    Heaven Sent and Hell Bent – absolutely stunning incredible performances
    Then my personal fave – The Husbands of River Song – lives in my heart forever.

Of course, the genius of Dr Who is that the same character can be played by almost anyone.
    Could it be time for the series itself to end? I hope not. If they take BOTH Sherlock AND Dr. Who off the air I will simply be lost. There are always big names mentioned to take over the Tardis (like Bene and Hiddles) I personally would love a female Doctor – River herself (they would have to be very ingenious at how they would accomplish that but…if any show could pull it off, Dr. Who might possibly could)

Just going to enjoy S10 and relish Capaldi while we have him.

20. Paloma says:

That’s too bad. I’ll miss him. Unlike a lot of the commenters, I actually liked Capaldi as Doctor Who from day one. It took me a long time to warm up to Matt Smith.

So the big questions are: just how many regenerations does Doctor Who have? I was granted an extra one but isn’t he out? Wonder how they will get around that one. And who are they going to get to replace him? I vote for Rupert Grint. Or perhaps it is time for Doctor Who to regenerate as a woman? We know it’s possible (see Missy) but would that tick off a large segment of viewers too much and would it make sense?

Have we ever learned what determines what/who Doctor Who regenerates into?

In any case, I am looking forward to the next season.

21. TVLineCommentator says:

can we just revisit the David Tennant era? do some “lost” episodes

22. TJ says:

Why not have him regenerate back into David Tenant? It could b very funny watching him come to grips with a previous body, he could play it to the hilt.

• cj says:

I like that idea. Reminds me though … didn’t Matt Smith say recently that he regretted leaving so soon and wouldn’t mind another crack at it? I wouldn’t mind that either.

23. Liz says:

I really didn’t see this as a surprise. He looks physically drained as the seasons goes on…

24. Agent 86 says:

I’m sure Peter Capaldi is a talented actor, but the writing and direction during his tenure as the Doctor hasn’t been up to scratch. So, it’s probably best if they start afresh.
    I personally hope for a happier, friendlier and generally more likeable version of the Doctor for the next regeneration. I know they’ll probably go with a younger actor to increase appeal and sell more merchandise to kids and that’s okay with me as long as they don’t over-indulge in any romantic subplots between the Doctor and his/her companion.

25. Clara says:

Bring Tom Baker back!

26. grys03 says:

Been watching the good doctor since William Hartnell first appeared. & too be honest David Tennant & Matt Smith have captured the quirky spirit better than any other, with Tom Baker in a close 2nd place.
    This is one show that relies on the writers, the ideas & the adventure but most of all on the lead actor

27. No dont leave me Peter you are my favorite.

28. Hated Matt Smith as the Doctor. Peter was such a refreshing change from what Matt did. I love how spoke how he felt and didn’t cant. I love when he as grumpy and when he was not. It will take me a while to get use to another doctor or if I would want to.

29. Anna says:

Aw. THis makes me sad. I was really hoping to see what another showrunner could do with Capaldi’s Doctor.

30. Carolyn says:

Peter Capaldi is one of my favorite all-time Time Lords! I’ve watched this series since Doctor #4 and I’ll truly miss Capaldi’s version. Crap!!!

31. The Rising Ape says:

I’ve been watching Doctor Who for a long time now, (my first being Jon Pertwee) and I quite liked this Doctor …maybe not so much as David Tennant (who ousted Tom Baker as my new favourite Doctor). Series 8&9 may have had their difficulties but still delivered some fun, some fear and some interesting stories.
    However… it’s time for a change, maybe even a big one, the next incarnation of The Doctor should be a woman! I honestly think it’s about time, and can think of no-one better for the role than Hayley Atwell …in Victorian Men’s clothing …with a male companion. As long as we get back some of the eccentricities that made Baker, Tennant and Smith work so well and move away from the gloomier and more serious Doctor that we’ve recently had.
    /2p

32. DarkDefender says:

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor grew. On me and won me over. He even made me like Clara – a feat in itself. I’ll miss him, but I am always excited for a new Doctor (been watching since #3).
    My casting favs would be:
    Tom Mison
    Rupert Grint
    Thomas Brodie Sangster
    Or
    Natalie Dormer

33. Keith Holt says:

If they go with the first female Doctor, I’d like to see Olivia Colman in the role. Since the Broadchurch head writer is taking over and she is fantastic on that show.

34. Tal says:

It has pretty much been crap since Moffat took over. I don’t care who is the Doctor, I just cannot wait until Moffat is gone.

35. DJ Doena says:

I never got past the introduction episode with him. I don’t know if it was him personally or Clara or simply Who fatigue but I don’t feel like I missed the last three years. I watched the christmas specials though.

36. B says:

So very sad to hear this. I think he’s been fantastic and has given the most amazing performances with such depth. He’s the reason I started watching Doctor Who, and while I like all the new era Doctors, Capaldi is by far my favorite. I will certainly watch whatever he does next, but I’m sad that this will be the last season of him as the Doctor.

37. Bark Star says:

A real shame. Capaldi was on par with Tenant as one of the best Doctors, certainly making up for a lot of the damage that kid Matt Smith did. Good thing that Moffat is leaving though. He was good as a wirte of single episodes but as DW showrunner he ran the series into the ground. I hope Chris Chibnall can bring it back to the Russel Davies level.

38. TV Gord says:

Craig Ferguson, anyone?

39. John S. says:

James Nesbit would make a helluva good Doctor.

40. John S. says:

I like the idea of Mos-Def too.

• DJ Doena says:

Mos-Def is an American. The Doctor may become many things in the future: a woman, a person of colour, a gay/les (although I prefer my doctor to have as little romantic interest as possible, it just gets messy).

But he will never not be one thing: A Brit.

41. I would sell my soul if somehow he could ‘regenerate’ back into David Tennant. Maybe a left kidney for Chris Eccleston.

42. LizJ says:

Unfortunately, I’m not sorry to see him go. I had warmed up to him a bit in the last season but it’s felt like all the fun has gone out of the show. I think modern viewers can relate better to someone a bit younger. And, I know I don’t have any real say in this, but if they cast a woman I’m not watching. Not because I’m anti woman (I am one!) but because I think it would change the entire dynamic of the show in a way that would no longer interest me.

43. Tonya Sevier says:

Yeah. “Do as your told” and bring on a new doctor.

44. JC1 says:

I have mixed feelings about this. I barely made it through season eight, and have had no desire to watch season nine. But I don’t think he was the problem. I just couldn’t stand the Twelve/Clara dynamic. Which is weird because I really liked her with Eleven, and until Twelve came along I never understood what all the Clara hate was about. And I did watch the Christmas special with Alex Kingston and I thought he and River were great together. So it wasn’t him either. It just, for me, was a really bad Doctor/Companion combination.
    I would like to have seen him with a older companion. Someone like Donna would have been fantastic. I know he has a new companion for season 10, but it’s yet another young woman, and that’s a dynamic I am just kind of over at this point.

45. PHILIP says:

While I feel that Capaldi is a fine actor, I never cared for him in the role of The Doctor. He was horribly miscast and always appeared to be lost in how to play the character. Once he took over from Matt Smith I only tuned in occasionally; and that was just to see the lovely Jenna Coleman, a bright spot in the universe. With her departure I’d lost all interest in the series, and that’s a hard thing to say as I love the Doctor Who mythos. Hopefully with an all new cast and a changing of the guard behind the scenes we can return the show to greatness.

46. Will Barrows says:

It took me a while to warm to Capaldi, but I’m not surprised he wants to move on. I would welcome a new doctor, but Doctor Who has become tiresome to me for a number of reasons, and I don’t particularly welcome the thought of a new doctor for the following reasons:

There used to be a limit on regenerations. It was 12. Now it has been broken, and not by this doctor, but by the addition of the War Doctor (RIP John Hurt) . 12 is a very appropriate number, given how embedded it is in our myths and culture; 12 zodiac signs, 12 prophets, 12 apostles, 12 “hours”. Now it means nothing.

At one point, I would have said it was time for the doctor to regenerate as a woman, and the point where the doctor uses all 12 regenerations was when! In the episode “Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death” which was made for Red Nose Day charity event, it happened! The 13th Doctor was Joanna Lumley, and She and The Master (Jonathon Price) get together! But now that possibility is ruined because the lazy script writers brought in “Missy”. Which leads into my next criticism:

Nobody stays dead. If endless regenerations was bad enough, we also have endless (and essentially meaningless) resurrections! The Master was dead when Paul McGann was the doctor, and he has been dead again since then, and Davros can’t stay down. When nobody stays dead, there can be no sense of closure. It is lazy story telling to arbitrarily bring back dead characters.

That said, here is what I’d like to see:

The new doctor is a bald young woman. Whoopi Goldberg makes an appearance as Guinan in the first episode that follows up on the official Star Trek/Doctor Who Cross-over comic book series “Assimilation cubed”. Elements of Star Trek appear more than they already do in the series. The Doctor takes less of a central role, and other time travellers feature in repeat stories. These travellers could include The Doctor’s daughter, and grand-daughter Susan, Ashildr and Clara Oswald in their Diner,

47. Chrissy says:

I enjoyed capaldi he took me back to the pertwee era,he was let down by lame storylines.How about Eddie Remayne or Ben Whishaw as the new doctor? Eddie Remaynes performance in the fantastic beasts movie looked like an audition for the next doctor

48. Could The Doctor please be a ginger next time?