Criminal Minds Spoilers Reid

Criminal Minds Boss Teases Another Return, BAU's First-of-Its-Kind Journey

Much of the recent buzz surrounding CBS’ Criminal Minds has been pegged to the return of Diana Reid (played by Jane Lynch) and the storyline it sparks for her son, BAU agent Spencer (Matthew Gary Gubler).

But far bigger things are on tap for the team as a whole, as the back half of this run nears.

Twelve seasons in, “It feels like we’ve earned the right to tell some serialized stories,” notes showrunner Erica Messer, “so we’re running with that, telling a really big arc that will last all of the back 9 [episodes] of Season 12.”

As previously reported, Lynch first appears in Episode 11 (airing Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 9/8c), while Episode 13 — which is titled “Spencer,” airs Feb. 15 and was co-written by Messer and cast member Kirsten Vangsness — is “related” to the Diana storyline. (Having previously penned episodes that killed off Gideon and paved the way for Shemar Moore’s exit as Derek, VangsnessCriminal Minds Spoilers Reid told us, “I seem to co-write the episodes that change the course for people. That does not mean the ends of people, it just changes their course. So [Episode 13] is a course changer.”)

Messer went on to add that the “Spencer” episode launches “a journey for [Reid] and for the team that I would argue we never even imagined would happen — and yet it happens, and we’re along for this ride. And it’s an intense one.”

Playing a role in that ride is a character who, akin to serial killers Mr. Scratch and Tommy Yates, will deliver a blast from the BAU’s past.

“Oh my gosh — if I said who [is returning], I would possibly give more away than I want to give away…,” Messer hedges. “But we’re really acknowledging the history of the series and being able to bring back people who have made an impact, good or bad, on our characters. And we’re having a really good time doing that.”

Someone Messer can confirm figures into the arc is Lost alum Harold Perinneau, who in Episode 15 begins a recurring run as Calvin Shaw, a former FBI agent incarcerated for killing one of his informants. When Shaw has a run-in with a BAU agent, the team must determine whether he’s a friend or foe.

“Harold is awesome, as a person and as an actor, and what he brings to this world and this back 9 is such an interesting perspective and a depth, for not only him but for Reid,” Messer effuses. “It’s a really great arc and we’re so lucky to have him.”

All told, Messer says, “This big arc that we’re doing has reenergized everybody, like, ‘We can do [a serialized saga].’ If we hadn’t been on as long as we have, with such an amazing fan base who can’t get enough of our character work, this wouldn’t be possible. But we have people who want to be with our characters as much as possible, and they’re going to have the opportunity to be with them on a journey they’ve never been on before.”

On the personal front alone, “This back 9 really takes care of everybody in a weird way,” the EP teases, “because of the changes that they’re all faced with.”

1. Ingmar says:

Thanks for this article, cannot wait to find out where they are headed. I don’t think Matthew will leave the show, but somehow I’m scared. Guess we’ll see what happens!

2. hello says:

I hope Reid doesn’t leave, too many people have left at this point.

As for the returning character, Elle Greenaway?

• If she doesn’t return as a vigilante killer, better not bother.

• Fabrizia says:

There are too many unfinished storylines this season, between the excaped killers, Mr. Scratch, these new characters and Reed’s stuff but she could come in handy next season.
      She could contact the team (even tho she only knows Spencer, JJ and Garcia) because she thinks a series of murders in different areas were committed by the same killer but the police won’t believe to her. It would be interesting to see what happened to her and if she changed career completely or if she’s still working in the field (or in the private sector). Maybe she’s all dark and troubled, or maybe she’s fine (Gideon could have contacted her and helped her with her issues).

3. Angela says:

Playing a role in that ride is a character who, akin to serial killers Mr. Scratch and Tommy Yates, will deliver a blast from the BAU’s past.
    Wow, okay, that sounds intriguing. When I first read the headline I had hope that maybe the return would involve Morgan making a guest appearance in an episode or two. ‘Cause if Reid’s going to get into the kind of crazy trouble that BTS photos for upcoming episodes seem to indicate, I’d like to think Morgan would be there to help him, given how close they are.
    But if this character is more comparable to two notable unsubs, then I’m stumped. The unsubs that have significantly personally impacted each team member over the years are dead. Unless, of course, one of those unsubs makes an appearance in flashback form? How that’d impact the team at large, though, I don’t know, so if it’s not that sort of situation, then I’ll need to rack my brain a bit and see which other currently living unsubs of note could come back to be a thorn in the team’s side.
    As for Reid, I am so flipping curious and nervous about what the heck the show’s got planned for him coming up. I’m hoping the last comment about this whole big storyline “taking care” of the team is a sign that they’ll make it through whatever’s coming up, and I’m continuing to hope that Reid’s mom makes it through whatever happens as well.
    Thank goodness we don’t have much longer to wait for this big arc to kick off. Come on, Wednesday.

• Emilie says:

I think cat will come back

• Angela says:

Oooh, there’s an idea. Would make sense, given how Reid-heavy this storyline coming up will be. I wouldn’t mind that.

• Emilie says:

Amanda season 4 episode 20

• Angela says:

Oh, Amanda would be perfect, especially given the fact that Mr. Scratch is targeting people with identity struggles of some kind this season, and Reid connected with her so strongly.

• sofia says:

If this serial killer from the past escaped from one of the prisons in the prison breaks I don’t think it can be Amanda, because, wasn’t she sent to a psychiatric facility?

• Emilie says:

I thought about doyle that comes in flashback for prentiss

• Olivia says:

Seems right, especially since he played the “I know what a parent’s memory loss is like” card in order to lure her. Besides, Aubrey Plaza was quite adamant that the story wasn’t over https://tvline.com/2016/01/22/greys-anatomy-owens-sister-nathan-riggs-transgender-season-12/

Also, the final dialogue in the van before she’s taken away.

Cat: You don’t pull a story about a parent losing her memory out of nowhere. Your mother and the Alzheimer’s, that’s true. I won.

Spencer: How so?

Cat: Because I will get out of here.

Spencer: Yeah, in 20 years, maybe, if you’re lucky.

Cat: Yeah, that’s fine. You know why? Because in 20 years… I’ll remember your name, but you won’t remember mine.

• Olivia says:

Seems right, especially since he played the “Found your dad, he’s a drunk mess, he won’t recognize you etc / I know what a parent’s memory loss is like” card in order to lure her outside. Besides, Aubrey Plaza was quite adamant that the story wasn’t over (can’t post the link for some reason, but search for Aubrey Plaza on the site, it’s the article from 01/22/16)

Also, the final dialogue in the van before she’s taken away.

Spencer: How so?

Cat: Because I will get out of here.

Spencer: Yeah, in 20 years, maybe, if you’re lucky.

• Olivia says:

Ha, looks like the first comment actually got through… anyway, I really hope this is who they’re going with because I enjoyed that psycho and her push and pull with Reid.

• STEPHEN ADAMS says:

I will say again, the show has lost its bearings and it’s turning into a bloody family soap opera. It was once my favorite American show on TV, but I have lost interest. It’s great strength at the beginning was to create insight and sympathy for the twisted minds that commit terrible crimes, to explain (in admittedly simplistic terms) how a human being could do such things. But this is too much for a mass audience, and the writers are being forced to soften everything down. Bah!

• There’s no storyline anywhere where I would be OK with Reid getting early dementia. NO WAY

• Naw Agent Kovacs would be perfect since she was out near where Reid`s Mom was L.A. Called Reid one time when they found her

• I would love to see Morgan come back for just as a guest start to help Reid get back from jail/prison. MGG better be coming back. Don’t care about Hotch. Cat was a nut, so I really don’t want her back. Reid needs some female companionship. Please find himna girlfriend.

4. Criminal Minds is one of my favorite shows, that one show I always seem to fall back to and watch old episodes. I hope they don’t stick to serializing it, ugh. The format they use is literally one of the main reason I’ve always loved it and haven’t given up on it.

5. I love this show so much, but this has me terrified. After all of the cast turnover lately and Kirsten’s role in “Derek” her writing “Spencer” has me scared. I honestly desperately hope that whatever they have planned, they take it easy on Spencer for once. He’s probably had the single hardest arc over the years. Hotch had a few rough patches, Morgan had a few short spots that were rough, but poor Spence… Losing Gideon, then Tobias Henkel and the subsequent addiction problems, the story behind his dad leaving and the murder his mom was a part of, Emily leaving/coming back/leaving again and the betrayal he felt from both her and JJ, the migraines, losing Maeve, Alex leaving her creds with him when she left after the bond they’d formed, now Morgan and Hotch are gone (and we all know he’s got abandonment issues, so he’s got to be reeling) and his mom, whose illness has been a constant source of pain and fear for him, takes a turn for the worse, and after being given a brief glimmer of hope, that got taken away? Can we PLEASE stop torturing him? He never really seems to get to hold onto anything good. I just want to see him happy.

• Angela says:

Amen. Hopefully whatever happens in this big story arc, it does end with him getting something good of some sort out of it all. He definitely deserves to find a bit of happiness and peace in his life at long last.

• Tachibi says:

Spencer is NEVER going to be happy. Diana will die, will be murdered or totally forget about him (there is no other road with Alzheimers) and then he will go to prison (they have posted photos already), and oh, boy, It’s obvious that he will be SO HAPPY IN THERE! (I’m being sarcastic, of course! He will be bullied, they will beat him, and he could be raped or worse) Producers are using him, AGAIN, after a whole year neglecting his character and using him only as a walking wikipedia, to keep the audience they barely have, since none of the new actors or plots has proven to be interesting enough to boost ratings in this after-Hotch era. Watch if you like, but do not delude yourselves. These mediocre writers have proved enough through all these years that they don’t like Spencer, and they don’t KNOW how to write him (that’s why, literally, EVERYONE on CM has been able to grow up and have a least a little bit of happiness, except him!)

• Angela says:

It’s kind of funny to me that people assume by writing all this tragedy for Reid, that somehow means they “don’t like him”. Haven’t you heard of how common it is for people to “whump”, so to speak, the characters they love the most in fic? Fanfic writers write tragic stories involving characters they love all the time, it wouldn’t surprise me if that were also the case with professional writers.

• Tachibi says:

Even in Reid’s whump fanfiction (I’ve read it, in ffnet, ao3 and other pages), Spencer has a LITTLE bit of happiness: he gets a pet, he gets another degree, he gets kissed, has a girlfriend/boyfriend, has sex or SOMETHING minimally good in his life before or after some kind of tragedy happens to him. But I did watch CM for eleven years, and while Morgan got married and had a baby, JJ started a family and became a profiler superwoman, Emily was chief in London and got herself a boyfriend (invisible, but a boyfriend), Rossi got himself a family and Penelope dated and had sex and a life, Spencer got nothing good, really, NOTHING! And I love Reid, it was my favorite actually, but I’m sick of it. It’s not believable to endure that much without nothing good to keep you sane. They did murdered Gideon just to make him suffer AFTER they killed MAEVE, for god’s sake! And I’m not assuming anything about the writers: you can go and search old interviews where Erica herself has stated that they didn’t knew what to do with Spencer and Hotch after all what had happened with them both in previous seasons… And off course, Erica it’s such a lousy boss that she never bother to get a writer who were capable of doing something interesting for them beside victimizing them again and again and again… Boy, they keep giving tired and bored fans reasons to join the #NoHotchNoWatch movement!: this IS a soap opera already! And a very cheap one, by the way, with mediocre plots/writing and with actors appearing and disappearing at whim, or filling in spots just because they were available that week.

6. sofia says:

A serial killer from the past who has made an impact on the characters. How far into the past? Early seasons? Mid-seasons? Could it be the Fox, Karl Arnold, again?

7. Cat says:

Really not looking forward to the “serialization” of this show; it’s ruined a lot of good procedural shows…CSI, NCIS:LA, NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans, Bones, etc. Like the case of the week scenario better.

8. Stephen Adams says:

I’ve loved this show, but has steadily deteriorated. Its great strength was to show violent behavior and look into the minds of the criminal, give some understanding. This formula seems too sophisticated for the American public, and the crimes too bloody. (It would not be a problem in England.) So the show is degenerating into a soap opera.still love the cast & characters. But I expect to give up on it.

9. Dawn Smith says:

I love this show but I am truly saddened that hodg. Isn’t coming back. We have lost 3 of the greasy cast put together. I pray no one else leaves.

10. Judy Hockersmith says:

Criminal Minds is totally getting more interesting everyday. This entire family loves the characters and plot. It has real story lines which keeps us on the edge waiting for the next move. In fact it keeps us guessing, This family is administrators and educators and we love watching because we can’t guess what is going to happen next. Right at the end it is exhilarating that it brings you mentally back to earth. Love love love!!!

11. personally I would love if agent Kovacs come`s back seeing as she was in Los Angelous when Reid`s mother was out there and maybe Reid ran into her somewhere and they became an item that would be cool I liked her

12. Coleen says:

Criminal Minds had a 1.2 rating and 6.70 million viewers for the beginning of a Reid arc. It’s down 33% and sinking. Since Thomas Gibson was abruptly, unfairly fired, the ratings have steadily decreased. When are you going to write about that, Matt? That’s more of a story than what nonsense Erica and her sub-par writers are rehashing each week.

When Messer says the big arc has re-energized everybody, she doesn’t include the audience. Most of us left with Thomas Gibson, and many more continue to leave because the new, bastardized CM is totally unfamiliar, poorly written and poorly acted. And without the steady Thomas Gibson and Hotch, the glue that held CM together, CM has become something most of us don’t recognize and used to watch. Things are so bad that people are tuning out Reid episodes because without Hotch, the BAU is unbelievable and unwatchable.

Thanks Erica Messer and Co. for getting ABC Studios and CBS to go along with your scheme to retool CM. Your contrived firing of Thomas Gibson has been a complete fiasco; and you’ve ruined a perfectly great show for no reason. Your greed, disloyalty and shortsighted are now coming back to bite you. #NoHotchNoWatch

• Catherine says:

Gonna have to whole heartedly agree. I just cant stand the reid in jail plot line, if they had stuck him in solitary or something cause he took a vacation during shooting thats one thing… this having to watch the bullying and whatever else they are implying goes on at night is just sickening really.

13. JAN ARENSMAN says:

hate this story line will not WATCH UNTIL READ IS OUT OF JAIL

14. Paco Prior says:

Dharma never kicked Greg….

15. Loyal fan says:

If Reid is done, I’m done! The rest of the cast that are remaining, except Garcia and Rossi, are just hanging on the coat tails of these three actors abilities.