The 100 Season 4

The 100 Boss Weighs In on Season 4's Unsettling Real-World Parallels

Let’s be honest: With headlines about nuclear proliferation and ecological catastrophes regularly flooding our various feeds, it often feels like we’re all living out the beginnings of an apocalyptic drama. One on The CW, perhaps?

The concepts explored on The 100 have always been eerily relatable — from our slave-like reliance on technology to the damage we’ve inflicted on our environment — but the show’s fourth season, premiering Wednesday (9/8c), will likely leave viewers even more paranoid as they watch Clarke & Co. grapple with the possibility of their own extinction. (Did I mention they only have six months before everything goes boom?)

“The truth is, you never really know how much real world stuff filters through in the subconscious when you develop story, especially in the room with 12 other people that are all living in the real world,” showrunner Jason Rothenberg admits to TVLine. “But we wrote these first episodes over the summer, so I’d say that any similarity to events or people or events real or otherwise is purely coincidental.”

That said, Rothenberg reminds us that science-fiction writers “like to dramatize some of the problems we have to deal with in the real world,” acknowledging that Season 4 an “environmental parallel on some level.”

“The earth is striking back,” he explains. “The environment is turning on the people who live on the planet. And I think that’s something we all have to worry about, unfortunately, in the not-too-distant future.”

We’ll have more scoop on The 100’s fourth season later this week. For now, drop a comment with your hopes below.

1. Jacob says:

I already feel like the world is ending I live in a state of intense paranoia so it really won’t change much for me how things are on the 100 in fact I think it might make me like the show more

2. moana says:

Can’t wait to see what comes.
    Also clexa shippers tears… they give me joy

• Theo says:

Oh I see #moanaisahomophobe. What a piece of trash. This show is going to get cancelled due to its constant disgusting discrimination and killing off its most popular character. And what, just to give a Bellarke fanservice in a desperate bid to save the crumbling ratings? A ship that even Eliza called sh*t and that is so Twilight-like and predictable. Please. This show reflects the real world alright since Jason Rothenberg is currently the Donald Trump of tv producers.

3. Dee says:

Jason remains awful.

That’s my comment.

• Wordsmith says:

It’s funny, I can’t think of any other fanbase where there is such simultaneous passionate love for a show and hatred for its creator.
      I won’t argue either is unjustified – it’s just unusual.

4. Erin says:

I am so excited for season 4 and really hopeful for a move toward a romantic Bellarke relationship.

5. Heather says:

I am so excited for Wednesday! Season four looks absolutely amazing.

6. Dani says:

S4 sounds like it’s going to intense and I cannot wait!

7. equate5 says:

This and Izombie are the two best shows qualitywise the last couple of years running.

• Kate says:

I liked these shows as well….But really the best qualitywise? I could name at least a dozen shows I would deem a little more…I don’t know …substantial? Even? Right of the bat: Blackish, westworld, Sherlock, elementary, the magicians, orange is the new Black, the night Manager, game of Thrones, american crime, crazy ex-girlfriend, the affair, atlanta, younger….and countless awesome british TV Shows….

8. :-) says:

Why do they keep moving this show? I always have to catch it on demand because I forget it’s on or it’s opposite something to which I’m loyal.

9. Tom says:

“The environment is turning on the people who live on the planet. And I think that’s something we all have to worry about, unfortunately, in the not-too-distant future.”

Please tell me this means the plants mutated from radiation, became sentient, and decided they have to kill their creator.

10. the best show on CW, so excited for S4!

11. Ray says:

This show reinvents itself every year. Also one of the most unpredictable shows on television.

12. peterwdawson says:

Between what happened with Scandal, The Lone Gunmen basically predicting 9/11 and a couple of episodes of Black Mirror that hit a bit close to home on top of the parallels we’ve got here, well, I’m starting to think reality’s ripping from the TV headlines instead of the other way around…