Today Cancelled

Report: NBC Cancels Today's 3rd Hour to Make Way for Megyn Kelly

The bullet dodged by Days of our Lives has hit the Today show right in the gut.

According to a report in the New York Post, NBC is cancelling the venerable morning show’s third hour — the one currently hosted by Tamron Hall and Al Roker — to make room for a new daytime show hosted by the network’s fresh hire, Megyn Kelly.

NBC has yet to weigh in on the Post story, but the article posits that the Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford-fronted fourth hour will now relocate to the 9 am slot previously occupied by Hall/Roker. In turn, the vacant 10 am slot will be home to Kelly’s new program.

Awkwardly, the news broke just a day after Roker took to Twitter to tout the 9 am block’s ratings momentum.

Earlier this month, NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt downplayed rumors that Fox News alum Kelly’s arrival foreshadowed the end of Days. “Everybody assumed that she would kill that show,” he said. “And that’s a bad assumption. It’s still too early to know where she’s going to be in daytime. And we have a lot of news hours in daytime, so there’s some flexibility.”

1. Haz says:

Kathy & Hoda moving to 9? What will this do to wine sales? Will it still be appropriate for them to drink wine that early?

• rowan77 says:

Yeah, Kathy Lee is gonna be pissed that it’s too early to get “pissed” on the air. How will she be able to get her morning socially acceptable beverage now? Any morning drinking behind the scenes will not look good. :-(

• Jbj says:

Is it appropriate to drink wine at 10a now?No matter, there is always Irish coffee.

2. Michelle says:

Okay, I’m going to be “that” person, sorry: So, NBC cancels the hour currently fronted by two of the most visible black hosts in television/media, in order to make way for a white woman known for her racist comments? Right then. Why not cancel the KLG/Hoda hour, if you have to cancel something?

3. c-mo says:

I have not enjoyed watching the 3rd hour since Willie and Natalie left and since I’ve never bonded with Honda and Kathie Lee, I think I’ll continue to find other things to do until Gilmore Girls come on at 10 CT.

4. TV Gord says:

So, if this is true, it would put Kathie Lee opposite her former show (and Kelly Ripa) in most markets.. Interesting.

5. Katy says:

Days our our Lives is probably cheaper to produce than the Today show tbh. They film 6 months in advance, go dark, take hiatuses etc plus they aren’t paying big bucks to certain news people.

• kmw says:

I doubt it. Those actors make decent amount of money even if they take hiatuses it is still more expensive than Today. I am really surprised, I thought DOOL was gone for sure

6. I know it was probably a long shot to begin with but Concentration?

7. Lysh says:

NGL, if I ever have a weekday off, I enjoy sleeping in until 10 and then drinking my coffee with Hoda and Kathy Lee. Those ladies are pretty funny. So I’m kinda bummed because there’s no way I’d wake up any earlier and while I respect Megyn Kelly as a woman in journalism, I can’t imagine watching anything with anyone coming over from Fox News.

8. Iakovos says:

TODAY HOUR 3 is the weakest hour of the Peacock’s four-hour morning fest. HOUR 4 has Hoda and Kathie Lee and their shtick makes it stand out. Al Roker will still be a presence and I hope there is room for Tamron Hall who is awesome on television.

9. Jason says:

Unfortunately this really doesn’t fit with the Today Show’s generally light hearted and familial atmosphere. I feel they’ll be losing something in the exchange.

• Jan beach says:

I agree for sure. There are an abundance of “news opinionated” broadcasts to watch. Bringing on Megan Kelly/Fox ingrained???i won’t be watching.

10. Ronnie says:

Tamron’s not hurting as she host an hour on MSNBC so she’ll still have a job. Also, Al will keep working in the morning show. The question is Kelly’s fan base will follow her from her other network. She has to compete with all those daytime judges in syndication.

• Gern Blanston says:

It’s being reported that she is leaving NBC when her contract is up. I assume that means that she is no longer going to be on NBC or ID either.

11. Scott says:

Two liberal idiots cut from tv . Finally NBC does something right .

12. Caro says:

And this news comes just hours after the hosts of the Today Show sat with their guest Tom Brokaw praising NBC on giving people of color more of an on-air presence…

13. grazelled says:

I honestly think the decision to cut the 3rd hour was made based only on ratings. After 2 hours of the Today show the 3rd hour will probably get lower ratings no matter who hosts so why not put Kelly there to see if she sinks or swims. Hoda and Kathie Lee really have their own unique show that shouldn’t be called Today’s 4th hour. They’ve earned the 10pm hour but of course NBC has to make sure their big investment pays off.

14. Candy Frank says:

would like NBC to combine the two current shows – but only keep Al, Tameron and Kathy Lee.. great excuse to dump Hoda, and massively reduce role of Savannah (maybe let her do some out of studio bits)

15. SuzMum says:

like the show-combination suggestion..

Tamron is first to keep, she rocks! Also keep Al, beloved gent – the strong #2. Kathy Lee probably #3, but little moody (she is always happier when no Hoda – and might like to work only 2 days each week).. then just need to add a millenial, for balance.

if combine to make one show can ax Hoda .. and nicely let-go Savannah (who is nice, but better for a much lessor role on some NBC show).. and never again air (grating) Jill Martin

16. all the people on Facebook in the Days of Our Lives groups would be heartbroken if it ended so please don’t end it. Its a generation show our moms watched it and that’s how we started watching it and growing up on it and now our kids are starting to watch it ( when they get old enough) but they watch it when we watch it.

17. Susan Jurist says:

No great loss – it was meaningless filler.

18. PatriciaLee says:

The husband thinks it’s kind of strange. I’m figuring it’s because she spoke up about something women have been dealing with for a hundred years. (and an opportunity to stick it to someone) The fact she is blond, etc. is an inconvenience, but obviously not going to get in someone’s way. We’ll never know the full story…like in politics. But we don’t watch the show, just passing by here catching the article. A lot of talented people, here, so they’ll all rebound.

19. Pat says:

Hoda and kathie lee should replaced it’s gotten to be the same thing

20. Nancy says:

I wish they would say good-bye to Kathy Lee and Tameron & give Hoda and Al the 9:00 hour. I think those 2 would do well together.

21. rita wheet says:

I will not be watching the today show no no more,

22. Chloe says:

I’ve never watched any of the Today show so I have no opinion of that. I will say that I’ve seen Al & Tamron in other things & like them both. As for Days, I’m thrilled. I’ve been watching since 1968 & would hate to see it come to an end. Hopefully, things will start to improve now that Higley is gone. I just hope they’re able to cut some stuff & get Ron’s writing on sooner.

23. Jenni Goodman says:

Who cares what color you are? It is how you conduct yourself that really matters. It is your values, your integrity, whether or not you are a good person. Black, white, whatever. It does not matter. So if someone sounds racist maybe they are not being hateful because of someone’s color, but because of the person they are being… Glad Days looks safe for awhile anyway. JG

24. It’s not that the show is getting cancelled as much as getting cut back. As I recall it wasn’t always three hours long.

25. Tim Church says:

Reminds me of the faux game show from the John Ritter movie, “Stay Tuned”… The show called “You Can’t Win”.

Start with Hoda being on the cover of a book she maybe wrote 1 sentence of, & going on other shows to plug it… When anyone with a brain knows she & Kathie Lee aren’t even enjoyable to watch if you’re as drunk as they are.

Add to that they’re being moved earlier so actually-watchable people can be replaced by Megyn Kelly, who also has a book she’s been plugging all over… About things nobody would care to read about (let alone care if they’re true) if not for the newest President, who admits to immorally grabbing females like those 3 & was only known by the people who voted for him due to his work on the network behind it all, NBC!!!

26. Kim Hanby says:

Already stopped watching Today about 2 weeks ago. I loved the shows, and have watched for so many years. This just confirmed my feelings are correct, regarding the direction of the show.

27. dz says:

1st Anne curry then, natalie, and now Tamron and eventually Al roker. Why not Kathy lee. How much power does Lauer wield.

28. KYD says:

one bad move for another – can’t stand Kelly

29. Iman Hunt says:

NBC made a mistake to let tamron leave.. not going to watch Kelly ..

30. dnramirez says:

Thankfully I don’t have to see Hoda on the 8AM slot and my TV will be off before 9AM. I’m sure they will replace their wine with happy pills and Irish coffee, then giggle & smile for an hour.

31. Max says:

Sad for Tamron, but the third hour of Today hasn’t been any good since Willie Geist left.

32. George Griendling Jr says:

This means Kathy & Hoda will be drunk one hour earlier!

• tjchurch2001 says:

That implies they ever aren’t!!

Reminds me of old neighbor-&-friend (last I knew, was in military) who had something on his MySpace page… (Not verbatim) “I’m a social drinker. Whenever anyone else is drinking, I say, ‘So shall I’.”

33. Kyel Calland says:

yeah, thats gonna work

34. S. Capps says:

What ever hour Megan Kelly is on will be on, will be an hour I will not be watching. Today’s take was a great show. Al and Tamra were wonderful together and the show itself was the best. Leave it to NBC to fix something that wasn’t broken.

35. Danielo says:

Please CANCEL Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford and replace with a younger news team that drinks coffee in the morning.