Sleepy Hollow Recap Season 4 Episode 4

Sleepy Hollow Recap: Crane on Trial — and a Good Point It Raises

A giant spider demon disguised as Ichabod’s dead son puts Crane on trial in this week’s Sleepy Hollow. And if you think there’s anything metaphorical about that sentence, welcome! You’re clearly new to the show.

“The People vs. Ichabod Crane” provides the Fox drama with an opportunity to bring back fan favorite John Noble as Ichabod and Katrina’s not-so-dearly departed son, Jeremy Henry. The Crane men spend the better part of the episode arguing in a dreamlike courtroom over whether or not Ichabod should be found guilty for Abbie’s death. And while I’ll break down the beats in a minute, I’d like first to focus on one line that really stood out for me:

“Why haven’t you grieved Abigail Mills?” Henry snarls at one point during the interrogation.

Ichabod, of course, replies that he has. And I’m aware that both the show’s star, Tom Mison, and its Powers That Be repeatedly have said that Ichabod isn’t the kind to give in to long periods of melancholy or huge shows of emotion, and that his deeply felt emotions concerning the loss of his fellow Witness are more likely to play out under the surface as we continue in Season 4.

But I loved Ichabod and Abbie as partners. I liked them together even more when I thought they were falling in love. (P.S. I still maintain they were falling in love.) And while I respect the show’s decision to maintain Ichabod’s stiff upper lip… I’ve gotta say I agree with the sin-eater on this one. Ichabod wept over Katrina at the end of Season 1, and that was when she was still kinda alive. I wouldn’t mind seeing a similar depth of feeling from the captain regarding his beloved leftenant.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* The whole reason behind Ichabod’s ye-olde-courtroom appearance is that a spider demon — which produces the black goo that jumped onto his face at the end of the last episode — wraps him in its supernatural web and sucks him into a cave in Maryland, where he hallucinates the trial.

* A little digging on Jake, Alex, Jenny and Diana’s behalf reveals that the same despair-causing demon was present at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War, and that Grace Dixon figured out how to kill it by creating a Fire of Joy.

* Diana is grudgingly back in the fight, though she doesn’t want Molly to have any part in it. Jenny makes an impassioned speech for her to reconsider. “Abbie and Crane had a bond so strong that they could literally tug each other back from different worlds,” she says. “They always knew how to reach each other and pull each other out of the depths. That is not something to be afraid of. That’s a gift.”

* While grabbing some stuff from the Smithsonian archives, Alex and Jake witness Jobe grab an old map-looking thing… and then disintegrate a security guard.

* In his hallucination, Ichabod realizes that Henry is really a demon, but he speaks to him as though he’s his son, nevertheless. “Every battle I joined, I joined for those I love,” Ichabod says, crossing to the older man and putting his hands on his face as he reiterates that he loves him. SpiderHenry cries.

* Still, SpiderHenry wants Ichabod to hang himself, and after making him feel really bad again, provides the noose. Ichabod’s about to use it… until the gang kills the demon, melts Crane out of his webbed cocoon and Diana calls Molly, who advises him (via speakerphone), “Don’t ever give up hope.”

* When a slimy, back-from-the-brink Ichabod comes to, he realizes he heard “Abbie’s words, Molly’s voice.” Diana realizes that she’s likely in this for the duration, and I wonder how that demonic cave has such excellent cell service.

1. Jessica says:

I loved it. What a great episode.

2. Zuzu says:

Not just any human face. HENRY’S human face!
    This episode was fantastic.

3. mango cherry says:

“wouldn’t mind seeing a similar depth of feeling from the captain regarding his beloved leftentant” — you forget who writes for the show — you know the group of talented folks who have “so many stories to tell” about the beloved hero of the show. Let Abbie be dead and not pretend that TPTB would want to give her the benefit of anguish, care & love from her Witness partner.

4. Angela says:

(P.S. I still maintain they were falling in love.)
    I’m inclined to agree with you. Especially given some of Ichabod’s facial expressions during all the mentions of Abbie this episode, and the soft, reverent way he says her name. I too hope we can delve deeper into his grief over losing her, because I think that could lead to some truly emotional and bittersweet moments. It is good that the show’s still mentioning Abbie, at least. I do appreciate that.
    Really liked all the courtroom stuff this episode, and Henry and Ichabod facing off as they did. I forgot how well Mison and Noble played off each other. And his words to Henry, reminding him of the love he still felt for him as a father, were genuinely touching.
    I’m also kinda liking Jenny and Diana teaming up. They have an interesting rapport.

5. Linda says:

How can you NOT Love this show !!??

6. Sharon E Mulloy says:

I love John Noble but not in this role. I hate to say it, but the beginning of this episode bored me to death. I may try again, but thought it was worst episode ever.

• Barbara Orrell-Smith says:

I liked it. While I was really mad when they killed off Abbie, I feel like this new direction has given the show greater depth and gives the writersame the ability to use devices they havent5 had before. For example the fact that crane is a sonless parent and Diane is the parent of the new witness. I think they have started to do more with Jenny’s character as well and I look forward to see how that plays out. With the characters that they have now on the show I feel that they have a lot that they can do.

7. Shannon says:

This show is so disrespectful. It breaks my heart how much it’s changed. They think they are really giving Abbie Mills credit but they continue to make her the magical negro, even in death.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Wow. Massive chip on that shoulder of yours. She was a Witness. Witness = Magical on this show. Stop seeing race issues where there are none. Beharie quit the show. Deal.

• BK says:

Your disingenuous troll act needs work.

Making Abbie into some magical Negro whose only “purpose ” was to financially support the foppish White man for three years before getting killed off, instead of the Witness with goals, a future, and a standing just as important as Ichabod’s a** is indeed insulting as hell.

8. Yay says:

This show continues to be gross and disrespectful af. Was this supposed to be proper mourning for Abbie or was this supposed to be about Crane’s manpain? God these writers can’t get anything right. I’m dying to see who will be salivating over the “brilliance” of this episode. God what is Big Star even doing?

9. sarah of old says:

Better episode, especially crane’s scene with his older son Henry and the reference to Abbie through Mollie. Writers should concentrate on the apocalypse and the development of the new witness relationship. Even the young aides were not so annoying tonight, and contributed to the story. Over all a decent episode.

10. herman1959 says:

I will give the writers credit for trying to tap into the original dynamic of the show, even if it feels rushed. But every time Crane spoke about Abbie it just made me wish she were still around, so that was actually a negative for me. Finally, I have to call the writers out for appearing to incorrectly attribute two quotes to George Washington instead of to Thomas Paine and Shakespeare. That’s just sloppy. But, I’ll give the show one more episode to show Oona working with the gang.

11. CaptMediocre says:

I’ll have to disagree with most other posting here and say that this was the weakest episode of this season. I stopped watching 17 minutes in.

Revisiting issues that essentially killed the show when they’re trying to re-invent seemed totally bizarre.

I love John Noble to tear, but Henry should have stayed in past seasons.

12. csg says:

The episode was simply boring. From the Frederick’s Manor closet to the flashbacks and Buried-again-Crane, this was an incomplete jigsaw puzzle of a narrative. Why oh why do they keep harping on the dead Abbie? Let the woman fade as Katrina did. Done & done. The point of a season 4 should have been a clean break; a renewal of this strange story. Instead it has become a tired litany of reminiscences. Nice of John Noble to appear, but the Henry/Jeremy story is what tanked the series, in my opinion. It just reminded me that Henry was far more interesting as God of War;

13. Billy Bob Johnson says:

If every episode was written and performed like this one, Fox wouldn’t be cancelling the show.

14. Mary P says:

This episode accomplished two very important issues. First we got to see Crane acknowledge how important Abbie was to him, and second, he came face to face with the role of a Witness and all that comes with that. Young Molly has a direct connection to Crane and possesses all the knowledge of those before her. Crane realizes his responsibility to Molly and to her Mother. Excellent episode!

• Rosemary Simmons says:

What show were you watching? Crane did no such thing! He just said his same old crap..boring..they only keep bringing up. Abbie in hopes that fans will come back..

15. Barbara Orrell-Smith says:

16. Kim says:

Crazy . Enjoyed twists with Henri .The episode pulled you in like the spider demon….would it be the end of Ichabod Crane? Witness saving Witness… Nicetouch.

17. Ann says:

I appreciated John Noble and Tom Mison’s acting. With that being said, I found this episode to be disappointing and distasteful. The writer just used Abbie’s name to get some of the old viewers back. The trial scene just reiterates how little they cared about Nicole’s portrayal of Abbie. Ichabod said that he mourned her. Yet not one character on this show has shed tears for her. Yet, they have the character Jake who has known Crane for a mere few weeks, have tears in his eyes for Crane. At the end of the day we are all supposed to just pity Crane. Abbie was not mentioned as a hero, she just made a decision to sacrifice herself for the greater good. However, Crane and young Molly who just mimicked Abbie’s words were heralded as the true MVP’s. Distasteful and boring!

• mary says:

How can using Abbie’s name have brought viewers back, if those same viewers were not watching/listening to hear her name? C**st people, you get pissed if they bring her up, & get pissed when they don’t.

18. Patricia Leff says:

I loved every minute of it.

19. Really... says:

I enjoyed the episode. Well written and featured great work by all the main actors. Funny seeing some of the same commentators, ragging on how awful the show is–are also the same ones who vowed to never watch it again. Never realized that one could be forced to watch a show one obviously despises–or maybe, just enjoy complaining about it, week after week. Says more about you, than the show…

20. “* In the episode’s final moments, a jar of the spider goo that Alex assumes is now inert… isn’t, based on the human face that forms out of the ick.” One of the oldest and lamest horror cliches. Kill all the monsters and you just happen to miss one.

We also had a little girl saving the day and making everyone else seem useless.

21. Rosemary Simmons says:

Cancel this show please!

22. SNik0 says:

I’m over it! I agree with you. “I still maintain that they were falling in love” because that’s how it was being played out. And Ichabod CRIED when whe drew the map and betrayed Abbie in S1. Now… No tears for her PLEASE! So disrespectful. Diana’s performance is forced. The only good thing is Jake & Alex, but they are not enough to keep me. I’m done. Abbie isn’t coming back & the whole show is just never going to get the S1 groove it had.

23. occheermommy says:

I see mixed opinions on this episode. I feel like they brought Henry back to kinda remind us of the past as we move forward. I do think we have beat both Henry and the headless horseman into the ground. I don’t mind this kind of reminisce occasionally but I would like to see more on the new characters. I really like the new cast and want to see it continue. I hope fox sticks with it or maybe Netflix will pick it up because it still is a great show and I believe better without Abbie. I felt like she was kind of a drama queen who needed all the attention and pushed Jenny aside too much. I think Jenny’s character is developing so much better out of her shadow.

24. occheermommy says:

I know everyone is complaining because crane isn’t sobbing about Abbie on every show but I think the way they r doing it is so much better. He loved Katrina and was devestated when he lost her but then she turned evil and he never really mourned after that. With Abbie I feel like he is so devestated at the loss that he cannot fully grieve yet. I feel like he is almost in a denial state and his connection with her was so great that he won’t outwardly grieve. He still feels connected to her thru molly and his grief is put aside to continue their mission. That is her legacy and he is holding true to her legacy rather than breaking down. Everyone grieves differently. He is very private remembet