Greys Anatomy Ratings Season 13

Ratings: Grey's Returns to 16-Month Highs, Scandal Boosts HTGAWM

Grey’s Anatomy returned from its 10-week break on Thursday night to 9.6 million total viewers and a 2.6 rating (per finals), rising 20 and 18 percent from its previous episode to hit not just season highs but its best numbers since its Season 12 premiere (Sept. 24, 2015).

Leading out of that, Scandal‘s long-delayed Season 6 opener did 7.6 mil and a 2.0, down from its previous premiere (10.3 mil/3.3) but up from its May finale (6.7 mil/1.8) and more than doubling placeholder Notorious‘ demo average.

How to Get Away With Murder, now with a proper lead-in, hit season highs of 5.4 mil and 1.5.

Elsewhere in the land of ratings….

THE CW | Now opening Thursdays, Supernatural (1.72 mil/0.6) matched its midseason finale, while down a tick from Legends of Tomorrow‘s fall average (1.8 mil/0.7) in the lead-off spot. Riverdale debuted to 1.38 mil and a 0.5 (and an average reader grade of “A-“), on par with fellow freshman No Tomorrow‘s launch (1.5 mil/0.5) while besting Frequency‘s (1.35 mil/0.4).

CBS | Leading out of that disappointing Oprah Mary Tyler Moore tribute (6.6 mil/0.8), the Pure Genius finale (5.2 mil/0.7) ticked down to a series low in the demo.

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (4 mil/1.2) and Kitchen Rules (2.2 mil/0.7) each dipped.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Disappointing Mary Tyler Moore tribute?? Is that even possible?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I just coudn’t stick with it, switched over to watch Riverdale a third time.

• wrstlgirl says:

Dang :-(

• Danny123 says:

The ratings for riverdale aren’t too good. I loved it. I watched it twice. Loved it. Fingers crossed it gets renewed but doubt it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I reckon The CW wanted better, but best they could have hoped for was 100% retention out of Supernatural. It’s probably not too expensive, though, so a 0.4 should suffice in the long run.

• Anthony says:

Maybe the fact it’s being released on Netflix worldwide the next day it aired will help ?

I live in Belgium and just watched it. Wasn’t expecting much, and ended up LOVING it. So freaking good.
            I can see this show having lots of success here in Europe.

• Natalie says:

I enjoyed it.

• rowan77 says:

I simply watched the “Chuckles the Clown Bites the Dust” episode again and watched her genius. Great script, stellar cast, hilarious episode.

2. Eric7740 says:

TGIT!!!!

3. Boiler says:

Who is running CBS now? They are struggling some in viewers. Of course any exec who actually thinks a show like hunting people is good probably needs his head examined.

• KLS says:

Agreed. Hunted can only be good if the “fugitives” out-witted the experts. But for security reasons, why would they air that? It’s there to show that no matter how smart you think you are, you can’t win if you choose to run. The contestants won’t win, so what’s the point?

• c-mo says:

I wonder if they had to change anything mid-stream because someone was outwitting he experts?

• KLS says:

Good point. They seemed to down play the air-play couple lasting 18 days. You really don’t know how many teams were out there. Maybe some of them won! This was filmed in July/August. There was plenty of time to edit. The teams could have just blended in with the zombies/groupies of TWD for 4 weeks!

• c-mo says:

I’d like to think that there are people out there who use their intelligence for good instead of becoming criminals and some of them might have won. And if they did win, how do you think their contracts were written to allow for them not taking action against the producers? Sorry, apparently I’m feeling cynical today.

4. Lola says:

I’m not interested in Riverdale personally but I did expect much higher ratings. Maybe I was being unrealistic in that thought. I thought mere curiousity and nostalgia would get better ratings at least for the pilot. Oh well.

• Jake says:

I think Riverdale suffered from going against the return of Scandal. Originally it would have been the second episode back, but the last minute change switched that.

• Andrew says:

@ Lola – I thought it would do better too, mainly due to the name/brand recognition of Archie Comics, which has been around forever. I never really read more than a few as a kid (back in the 90’s), but—like you said—I was curious as to how it would translate to live TV so I watched. I thought a lot of other people would too. I guess not.

I thought it was interesting, but there’s a lot of room for improvement. I’m really sticking around for some of the guest stars, like Molly Ringwald and Skeet Ulrich. Plus, it’s good to see Luke Perry again (I grew up with the original 90210). If the story doesn’t improve I’ll probably tune it, but—yeah—I surely thought the ratings would be higher.

5. Jared says:

Riverdale was so good. Def deserves better ratings than that which is kind of sad.

6. Scott says:

It’s only been one episode and I’m already obsessed with Riverdale.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s the thing, people will only become more engrossed as episodes roll out, so maybe there will be some word of mouth, plus pearl-clutchers who shied away from Dark Archie :-O will reconsider.

• vilma says:

I doubt it. A lot of those pearl clutchers watched the premiere and said “no thanks.”

The best this show can possibly hope for is a thirteen-episode second season.

7. Iakovos says:

Appreciated CBS giving MTM props as she was a leading talent for the Eye. And her contributions are notable. Still, the tribute program crossed the line with a little too much Oprah. I would have liked to have seen more comments from others who worked with her, were inspired by her too. And maybe some clips from other MTM programs, even those that may not have won the success of VAN DYKE and MTM. Still, so glad CBS did this!

• KLS says:

The slapped the thing together pretty quickly. It was a sacrificial lamb opposite TGIT.

• c-mo says:

I would think that networks would prep these kinds of things far in advance and then just slip in hosts/past co-star comments at the last minute. Not to be morbid/speak poorly of the dead/a horrible person, but it’s not like her health has been all that great these past few years…

8. evababy says:

Riverdale was SO very CW. Archie looked like a lost Salvatore brother, Jughead’s VO felt like it was borrowed from Gossip Girl and the whole show felt very PLL. I struggled to get invested.

9. Goldenvibefan says:

Dang, I really thought Riverdale would have higher ratings.. If it declines as much as No Tomorrow and Frequency, there’s no shot at a season 2. Which sucks, as I really liked the pilot.

10. brenda says:

I watched Riverdale but was disappointed on how soapy it is. The show description from a few months ago made it seem like it was gonna be like Buffy. Not sure if I wanna stick around.

11. Matt C. says:

Grey’s is unstoppable! I’m kinda surprised Scandal didn’t premiere higher, especially given all the hype (which was well worth it, in my opinion!) but I’m glad it helped HTGAWM hit season highs! So glad TGIT is back in my life.

12. c-mo says:

I’m so glad you thought the MTM tribute wasn’t that good. I missed the 1st half hour so I apparently missed all of the Oprah (whew!) but the 2nd half hour wasn’t any better so you didn’t miss anything.

13. Mr. Smith says:

I thought the tribute was suppose to be about Mary Tyler Moore. Did I miss something? I think I watched a re-run of the Oprah Winfrey Show, circa 1999.

14. Mike says:

Remeber one tree hill started with bad ratings but the ratings grew over time I hope it happens to riverdale

15. kmw says:

Well way to go TGIT but I don’t expect those to last. Way better numbers, especially for Scandal. A little surprised Riverdale didn’t do better but it probably is ok for The CW.

16. Rick Katze says:

Not surprising that Greys Anatomy had high ratings. After the last episode break at a key point, people expected it would be resolved or at least followed after the break. Instead we get a filler episode so that they can tease what is going to happen next week. My wish is that the programmers who did this burn in Hell. I would have recommended something worse but this is a family website.