Feud Bette and Joan FX Jessica Lange Susan Sarandon

FEUD First Look: See Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange as Bette and Joan

Two Hollywood grande dames are ready for their close-up.

FX has released some tantalizing first-look photos from Ryan Murphy’s upcoming anthology FEUD, which gives us the gift of Oscar-winning actresses Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange playing… well, Oscar-winning actresses Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

RELATED FX Sets Dates for Ryan Murphy’s FEUD and The Americans Season 5

The first season, subtitled Bette and Joan, centers on the notorious showbiz rivalry between Davis and Crawford while they shot the campy 1962 thriller What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?. And from the looks of the photo above, they didn’t exactly start out on the right foot: Bette seems to be giving Joan quite a chilly reception, no?

Here, we see Lange as Crawford, in a wheelchair to play Baby Jane‘s paralyzed Blanche. Does she have issues with the script already?

Feud Bette and Joan FX Jessica Lange Joan Crawford

And here, we see Sarandon fully glammed out as Bette Davis, wearing a fur and sunglasses and puffing on a cigarette.

Feud Bette and Joan FX Susan Sarandon Bette Davis

Bette and Joan‘s supporting cast is incredible, too: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stanley Tucci, Sarah Paulson, Alfred Molina, Judy Davis and Kathy Bates (whew!) all join Lange and Sarandon to form the acting version of Murderers’ Row. So get your popcorn ready: FEUD: Bette and Joan debuts Sunday, March 5 at 10/9c on FX.

Check out the photos above, then hit the comments and tell us: Do Lange and Sarandon look like the Hollywood titans they’re playing?

1. Debbie says:

I’ve been looking forward to this one since it was announced. Good thing February is a short month.

2. thisismenow says:

I am so freaking excited about this! This just makes me wish March was here sooner! I’ve missed Jessica!

3. Brian says:

Can’t wait for this!

4. Can’t wait! Along with the great stars he’s already worked with, I’ve long thought Judy Davis belonged in the Ryan Murphy ensemble – doubleplusgood!

5. MMD says:

I’m really looking forward to this – actually counting down the days.

6. Ryan Murphy does camp as well as anyone. This should be right up his back alley.

7. SWSfraser says:

I am reserving judgment until after it comes out and I’ve watched it. But, I have to say (or I shall be falling down) from the pictures it would appear Sarandon is channeling Bette Davis as Margo Channing (wrong era), and Lange is channeling a 10yrs-into-the-future Crawford. If Sarandon thinks she is Margo Channing from All About Eve, this project could end up a campy cult classic with Mommie Dearest (which was absolute crap yet funny); but I have full confidence in the acting skills of Lange. I’ll just hold my nose when the politically disabled Sarandon flounces across the screen puffing on a cigarette saying ‘Petah, Petah, Petah’.

8. Adi Katrak says:

Been following these two grande dames since half s century Bette was amongst the all time great actresses n the queen of Warner Bros for nearly two decades Joan was the quintessential star n only knew stardom more of an exhibitionist than an actress Suzan and Jessica sre fsr more besutiful women Bette n Joan were not even good looking Jessica is tall n willowy Joan was short n fragile Cant wait to see the two mpvie queens baring their claws to outbitch each other

9. SWSfraser says:

Its Susan Sarandon playing Margo Channing playing Bette Davis as Baby Jane Hudson

10. I SAY: says:

It’s pretty difficult to copy Bettie to exact.. And Joan but it sounds like this is going to be a good one.. The feud between Bettie and Joan has always been the elephant in the room.. Now there finally going to elaborate.. I cant wait!!!

11. doug stickels says:

I have been saying for 15 years now that if anyone is to portray bette davis it should be susan sarandon…omg…they did it. Somebody saw what I saw…susan closely resembles bette

12. Babs says:

Watched the first of the series last night. Can’t wait to see the next one. Couldn’t take my eyes off the TV. Loved it!

13. Bonnie says: