Dynasty Reboot, Adventure Drama From The 100 EP Get CW Pilot Orders

The CW finally threw its hat into the pilot season game this Friday, with its first two pickups.

First, foremost and expectedly, the network ordered a pilot for the new, racially diverse Dynasty from Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage and Revenge producer Sallie Patrick. The project is described as “a modernized reboot that follows two of America’s wealthiest families, the Carringtons and the Colbys, as they feud for control over their fortune and their children,” as told “primarily through the perspectives of two women at odds: Fallon Carrington — daughter of billionaire Blake Carrington — and her soon-to-be stepmother, Cristal, a Hispanic woman marrying into this WASP family and America’s most powerful class.”

The series promises to expose the “dark underbelly” of the 1 percent, “a corrupt world built on backroom deals, betrayal, and, in some cases, murder.” Original Dynasty creators Esther and Richard Shapiro will serve as EPs.

The CW also gave a pilot order to Searchers, from The 100 boss Jason Rothenberg, who will exec-produce with the prolific Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. An action/adventure drama, it follows a pragmatic brother and free-spirited sister who are forced to team up when they learn that their late mother’s terrifying and bizarre stories “may be a road map to discovering the great legends, myths, and unexplainable mysteries of the world.”

1. Originality PLEASE says:

NO DYNASTY reboot. Unless you use some of the original actors etc like Dallas did, then just do a new show with new characters.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Dallas was done as a continuation, so it had some original actors in their original roles. This sounds like a completely new version of the show.

2. Linda says:

*facepalm*

3. mike says:

Learned nothing from the Dallas reboot I see. Although that tanked in part to JR kicking the bucket.

4. Iris says:

Because the “dark underbelly” is going so well for the Archie comics so far…Well, anyway.
    I hope the Shapiros won’t be the George Lucas of TV and ruin their own brainchild (YMMV) but it’ll be interesting to see if the audience reacts in the same way as thirty years ago and only cares bout the billionaires.

5. Brad says:

So…..supernatural?

6. Brian says:

Searchers sounds like Supernatural crossed with Gravity Falls.

7. DW says:

The Dynasty reboot sounds like trash tv. Please not another cartoonish depiction of the “1%” from people in the 1%

• LEP says:

Hey, it’s only the other one percenters that are bad. When we fly in our private jets and wear $1000 shoes, it’s because, well, we’re special and we also love puppies!

8. Jess says:

They sound good to me.

9. Goldenvibefan says:

Another Berlanti show? Wowza.. I feel like he’s to spread thin as it is. I really like Jason Rothenberg as a showrunner, so I’m glad he’s doing another show. Will definitely check out searchers if it gets greenlit, even if it sounds generic.

10. Jared says:

Yawn…both of these sound boring and predictable.

11. Sharon says:

No to both!

12. matty says:

You simply cannot have a Dynasty reboot w/out Joan Collins. They had best get her to agree to a recurring role.

13. MMD says:

Say it aint so.

14. Stephon Stanley says:

Searchers sound like Supernatural

15. Moofy says:

See, it’s Cristal now instead of Krystle. That means it’ll be a smash. Similar thing happened when the Family Affair reboot had Sissy instead of Cissy. That ensured a hit.

16. Richard Nickell says:

Searchers sounds very much like Grimm to me.

17. John036 says:

I really hope this doesn’t mean Rob Thomas’ The Lost Boys is dead. I was looking forward to it!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The CW is expected to order the usual 6 or so pilots. They are never all announced at once.

• Ally Oop says:

I really hope there’s more. Dynasty won’t succeed on the CW. Perhaps on ABC or NBC maybe but not CW. I might watch though. Dynasty aired from 1981 to 1989 and I hadn’t even heard of it until recently (did it even air in Canada?!) so it’s unfamiliar to me so I might watch because I love a good primetime soap.

As for The Searchers, until I see a trailer, I don’t really know what the show is about. I hope the CW will come up with another supernatural drama. I’m tired of superhero shows.

18. Delilah says:

Hell. NO!

19. william says:

Two shows I won’t be watching. Dynasty is sooo last century. lol

20. The last time I read a logline for a Jason Rothenberg show, I felt much the same as I do with this.. not very excited. But then that show turned out to be one of the best series on TV – The 100! I have faith

21. Patrick Mensah-Boadi says:

I’m 26, Only Just Discovered The Show A Couple Years Ago & I’m Slowly Binging But I Love It. If This Reboot Makes It To The Screen I Really Hope Cristal Isn’t The Only Diverse Alteration To The Narrative. Aren’t We All Exhausted Of The White Billionaire Character? Counting On Them To Forge A New Racial Identity For The Carringtons.

22. Leanne says:

I liked the Dallas reboot but it had some of the same characters and it was cancelled. I don’t think this would work either, depends on cast but I am not sure who could be cast. the original cast is hard to beat.

23. Funny…I;ve been watching the original series on Amazon Prime. Noticing a lot of stuff I didn’t catch when i was a kid and wasn’t allowed to watch it, and had to pretend to go to bed and hide under the covers with my little b&w tv. Out of all the primetime soaps of that era, and actually pretty much every drama from that era, this show holds up AMAZINGLY well, at least for the 1st 6-7 seasons. Season 8 was the weakest, and season 9, in spite of budget cuts, had better writing and storylines than the previous season. Linda Evans departed 1/3 of the way through the season voluntarily to spare the jobs of crew members, and even Joan Collins reduced the number of episodes she appeared in to help the show. Everyone thought they were coming back for 1 final season. Any other show that ran for so long and made a network probably hundreds of millions, if not billions, would have been given the courtesy of advance notice so they could have a proper ending. According to an extremely reliable source from whom I heard this directly (someone who worked on the show), the new president of ABC was intimidated by Aaron Spelling’s power at the network. They led everyone to believe that the show would be renewed. The sets remained up, Everyone was prepared to return to work. The network waited until the final hour of the required deadline to cancel the show. It was pure spite. Which is why, after nearly 20 years of a long string of huge hit series, all on ABC, Spelling went to Fox. Fans innundated the network with complaints, so the brought it back for a 4 hour miniseries in the fall of 1991 (equivalent of 4 episodes), which ironically, cost them more money than it would have to have ordered a short 13 episode final season with the sets still up and cast, crew, writers, producers, etc all available.

Much of the subject matter on this show was contoversial at the time, but if you pay attention to what is in the subtext, it’s what they didn’t say, but what was implied, that would have been even more controversial. The acting was mostly incredible, and the writing far deeper and darker than its counterparts. It got campier over time, but in a good way. Blake was portrayed far less sympathetically in season 1. I find that it really doesn’t seem all that dated when i watch it now, minus technology. And i’m glad they’re not making the fatal blunders that were made with Dallas 2.0. This list of characters is identical to season 1 of the original show, except that Sam, a gay male version of Sammy Jo, is there. Heather Locklear didn’t join the cast until season 2. As did Joan Collins. So, I’m hoping that the absence of Alexis is intentional to follow the timeline of the original show. Wouldn’t it be very cool if Heather Locklear, Pamela Sue Martin, Emma Samms, or Cathering Oxenberg played Alexis now?