Arrow New Black Canary

Arrow EP Teases the Arrival of Vigilante Tina Boland — AKA New Black Canary?

The hunt for a new Black Canary is officially on — though Arrow‘s titular hero might not have to look for long.

As revealed at the close of the CW series midseason premiere, there’s a gal in Hub City who is a real scream , having blown back a pair of bullies with her own sonic cry. In next Wednesday’s episode, viewers — as well as Team Arrow — will learn more about detective-turned-vigilante Tina Boland, played by Juliana Harkavy.

“We are so excited about Juliana. She is amazing,” Arrow co-showrunner Wendy Mericle tells TVLine of the hire, whose previous TV credits include episodes of Constantine, The Walking Dead and Graceland.

As glimpsed in the promos for next week, where Tina wields a tart tongue as well as badass moves, Harkavy “brings a very different energy, a different vibe to the show,” Mericle notes. What’s more, Tina “has a lot of emotional connection with Oliver, in that she’s been through her own sort of hell, her own sort of ‘island.’ She’s got a very tragic backstory.”

As such, and coupled with her hand-to-hand combat skills, Mericle touts the new arrival as “a peer of Oliver’s,” in that “we’ve never really had anybody on the team who is as formidable as he is and really views herself as an equal.” Because of that — and again, as glimpsed in promos — the EP teases, “there are going to be some new interest dynamics!”

As for Tina eventually, formally assuming the mantle of Black Canary — “costume warehouse fire sale” attire be damned — Mericle previously told TVLine it’s “definitely a possibility” that Laurel Lance’s successor will be in place by season’s end, adding: “Look, it’s hard to do a show about Green Arrow without having a Black Canary.”

Watch the latest promo for the Feb. 1 episode, titled “Second Chances,” in which Tina Boland puts Oliver, Curtis and Rene’s male bits on notice:

1. Nathan Everett says:

A BLACK CANARY PEOPLE. Doesn’t have to be laurel. I smell the hate from comic geeks already.

• Lydia says:

Black Canary IS Laurel lance.

• Jim says:

Black Canary is Dinah Drake.

• MangoMagic says:

The first (Golden Age) BC was Dinah Drake Lance. Dinah went on to have Dinah Laurel Lance, the incarnation of the BC that most modern age fans are more familiar with. They show could’ve given viewers Dinah as the first BC and then Laurel talking on the mantle but the EPs seem content to toss around the BC name like a freebie: “you get a Black Canary and you get a Black Canary and aw shucks, you get a White Canary! Everybody gets a Canary!”

• M3rcNate says:

Yeah guys! Superman doesn’t HAVE to be Clark Kent…i mean it can easily be anyone! (sarcasm).
      They messed up getting rid of Laurel and the Black Canary and they know it.

• JC1 says:

If they thought they messed up getting rid of Laurel/Katie Cassidy, they could very very easily have brought her back. Instead they’re bringing in an entirely new actress to play Black Canary. That says to me they do not think they made a mistake. They want a Black Canary on Arrow, they just very obviously do not want Katie Cassidy’s version. Why? Well that is the question, isn’t it.

• There have been multiple versions of Batman, a character that is arguably more popular and longer lived than Black Canary.
        True, most versions on the big and small screens are still Bruce Wayne, but we’ve also seen Terry McGinnis and Dick Grayson in that role.
        Also, since we’re talking about partners, we have Robin. Robin has been worn by at least 4 different people since he came on the scene, probably more if you count alternate versions like Carrie Kelley.
        If two characters as iconic as Batman and Robin can have more than one version, so can Black Canary.

2. Hmm says:

Boo. Laurel Lance or no Black Canary. I really hate how insulting this is to LL’s fans.

3. spindae2 says:

” It is hard to tell a Green Arrow story without having a BC! ” why the fluke did you kill her off than????

They should rather watch out for their numbers. 0,56 unrounded doesn’t look good at all. Just saying.

• Leo says:

Seriously….That’s the stupidest thing they said out of all the stupid stuffs they had said. Why kill off Laurel in the first place? I swear Arrow’s writers are the worst.

• Jessie says:

Yes, why kill of Katie Cassidy’s BC, only to bring back a version character just with a different actress? I mean if you still have the character just minus the actress, it’s almost like perhaps maybe, I don’t know??!?? Could it be aside from a vocal comic passionate fan base, that the actress was miss cast and not actually that popular with mainstream audiences?
        They want a BC, they just didn’t want Kaites version.
        I wish her the best with future projects, she has a passionate fan base that will hopefully support whatever she moves on with.
        I am fatigued with the whole BC on Arrow though, it’s already be thoroughly done, I am not at all interested in watching a retconned version.

4. Liz says:

Ugh. Sara was as formidable as Oliver and probably even a better fighter than him. Who are they trying to kid? It’s like they don’t remember their own characters!

I’m not even a comic fan but I don’t want another BC and certainly not yet another Canary for Oliver to sleep with, which is obviously where that’s going. I’m just not interested.

• Clau says:

Right? It’s like Sara was never there. She was Olivers equal.

And I’m glad that worrying thought about another Oliver/next-Black-Canary-please went through someone elses mind as well.

5. Jess says:

Well, hopefully BC 15272 works out for them. After all these different BC stories, I cannot exactly say that I am excited to see yet another one.
    They had Laurel as BC but for whatever reason they now try to sell that GA needs BC. Strangely enough, he never seemed to have needed her before.

Also he had Sara and she wasn’t a meta. How can you call someone an equal when they have supernatural powers.

• Sarah says:

I agree they’ve had way too many Black Canaries. I liked Sara, who was more than qualified to be considered Oliver’s equal. I liked Laurel, although her character could have used a few more episodes to show her transition and training. Then they had Evelyn and that was just weird so they pulled back and made her a different character and now we get Tina. It’s too much and it really doesn’t help that the team is now almost entirely new people. The need to bring Diggle back into the team and they need to cut some of the newbies out.

6. Roger Joseph Buchana says:

Wait, there’s other people that are Black Canary NOT named Dinah Laurel Lance. SINCE WHEN? /obvious sarcasm.

7. JDH says:

If it’s hard doing a Green Arrow show without a black canary, then I’d suggest one thing…. STOP KILLING THEM.

Out of your current main cast you have 3 characters who are based on characters from the comics, but are actually pretty far from the source material (Speedy, Lance & Terrific), & 2 characters who were essentially created FOR THE SHOW (Diggle & Felicity).

Core Comic book characters should not be replaceable… Like when Arsenal left & a few episodes later, Mia was running around in the female equivalent of his costume… You can’t just put a new character in the costume & hope the audience accepts it…

I would PREFER if Sara did go back & physically saved her sister…

8. Dominique says:

sorry, but no. there are already too many new characters this season that i’m still getting used to. another one who apparently is ALSO going to be a part of team is something i’m not interested in. leave it alone already and focus on the characters you have.

9. pnr says:

Nothanx. I’m tired of the revolving door of insta-masks. This show needs civilians. Not fighters. Them adding more and more fighters onto the show makes the main character less special.

I have no interest in watching Tina.

• pnr says:

Also… I’m not really interested in seeing an ’emotional connection’ between them? Can we see emotional connections between Oliver and characters that are already established? We’ve barely seen him open up to Diggle/Thea/heck even Felicity this year.

This show has a bad habit of tossing the old aside for the new. It really annoys me considering I still LOVE the older more established characters.

• Liz says:

This. The minute they introduced Tina, it’s obvious where this is going. They want their GA/BC romantic partners and they’re gonna probably push everyone aside to do it. I dread to think of the amount of screentime Tina’s gonna get. Poor Thea wasn’t even in the latest episode.

When will these show runners learn to write for the characters they already have? I’m so sick of all the new masks.

10. This show is so weak. Killing Laurel was stupid. They really hate Black Canary fans on this show. This new woman looks interesting but I really wish they had just brought a heroic Laurel from another universe maybe an alternate Justice Society to the 1940s one.This show suffers without Katie Cassidy. A key part of the Green Arrow mythos is missing.

11. JCPrime1 says:

Sara was the best Canary. Laurel was horrible. That said, I’m hopeful about Tina and will give her a chance.

12. nonono says:

LET IT DIE! there have been more than enough canaries. no one will ever be as good as Sara and some morons will always b*tch about Laurel, just let it go. we don’t need a canary, it’s a green arrow show.

• William Roderick says:

You are officially annoy me I apologize but if you have ever read a Green Arrow comic, you would know how essential Black Canary is to Green Arrow, as Geoff John’s head of DC Comics stated something like this ,”You can have Black Canary without Green Arrow, but cannot have Green Arrow without Black Canary, otherwise you don’t understand the character of Green Arrow.”

13. Black Siren on Flash was the best laurel despite all her episodes on Arrow. She finally had a meaty role. This episode on Arrow was just a letdown. I would have preferred Laurel E2 become Black Canary then go through this whole rigmarole again.

None of the storylines interests me. Not Bratva, Not Diggle, not the story of Wild dog and Mr T and his husband, certain not Artemis, Nor Drunken Quentin or felicity’s dead boyfriend who everyone is so cut up about only having met him once.

Artemis was promising first 2 episodes now he’s become a trope. Kill arrow. No one goes throw all this effort to see him destroy himself. Vigilantes was the only thing I felt that had promise and that’s been put on the back burner.

The rot started with Olicity in Season 3. This whole show was based on the premise of a Batman TV show that turned into flipping soap opera.

This really needs to be righted before it breaks up the whole DC TV lineup.

• Maria says:

You’re a mess. Comic books are soap operas. This show was a soap opera from the beginning. Presumed dead son is alive. Goes on to date sisters and his dad had an affair with the mistress that Oliver to slept with later on. The only reason you don’t like it is because it isn’t going your way and annoying Laurel is dead. Good riddance. Don’t have to see that long ass chin on my tv for a while or at all.

14. Jared says:

Laurel is Black Canary. All these “extra” characters getting screen time are killing the show for me.

15. T.W.S.S. says:

“We’ve never really had anybody on the team who is as formidable as he is and really views herself as an equal.” Well that’s quite a slap in the face to Sara Lance.

I hope Tina fares better than other new additions. The recruits still don’t feel integrated into #TeamArrow, and I would be surprised if any of them returned for season six. Even Curtis, who’s been around since last year, feels temporary. Compare that to what #TeamFlash has done with Wally or what Shield has done with YoYo.

• acurat says:

Nice comparison to Wally and in particular, YoYo. You are right, those characters feel more integrated and part of the core cast than this group on this show. The only character they put some effort around to integrate is Curtis and he does have something of a back story. It just is not as complete as YoYo.

16. acurat says:

This is going to be interesting. She is the daughter of Berta Carela and Michael Harkavy, who is the former Senior Vice president of Warner Bros. Entertainment Worldwide Publishing, Kids’ WB Music, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. So she is connected to the former WB Management through her father. She like Katie Cassidy has no formal fighting training or black belt. She may have a hard time keeping up with the standard of Caity Lotz who is the only black canary on the show who had a lot of martial arts training. We will see.

• Maria says:

This isn’t why these girls get shows and the name don’t last long because most of the audience can see they don’t mesh well with the show or the other characters who particularly have a great bond and chemistry. OTA

17. Ben says:

I’d rather see Evelyn Sharp come to a realisation, help defeat Prometheus in the end, and become the next Black Canary. One, I actually like her. Two, Oliver can’t end up romantically linked to her.

18. pnr says:

“There is no GA without BC” – False. Season 1 & 2 disagree with that statement.

19. Ray says:

I give up. Driving myself crazy with this show. Either the writers don’t get it or don’t care. I’m a writer so I envy that the writers get to make a show they love to watch but the ratings are starting to show the majority of fans don’t see the same vision. It’s safe because Arrow used to be much watch television for me. Last night I almost didn’t watch at all because I had a feeling that she who shall not be named would be front and center again.

20. Nik says:

Ummmmmm how is Sara not Oliver’s equal??

21. JC1 says:

Really? REALLY? So what, they just developed sudden selective amnesia regarding Sara in season two? WTH Wendy? I’m prepared to give Tina a chance, since Laurel’s BC was a complete disaster, but you are not going to win me over by setting her up as more badass than my girl Sara, since as far as I’m concerned Sara should have had the Black Canary title anyway.

• Sara told Oliver he still had a light inside of him, one she felt she lacked. Kinda sounds like she felt she wasn’t his equal…

• JC1 says:

Perhaps if you’re speaking on a moral level, she didn’t view herself as equal, but that’s not how I interpreted Wendy’s comment. To me it sounds like they’re talking about fighting skills and training. In other words, someone who is not a newbie with minimal training. I think Sara viewed herself as at least equal to Oliver in that regard. Your mileage may vary.

• I kinda felt that she might have rivaled him, which is why he enjoyed partnering her. And I think taking every aspect is important when it comes to deciding who is equal and who isn’t. It was also mentioned that Tina has been through her own island, so it sounds like they’re also taking the moral aspect into consideration.

22. A says:

Ouch. Never been a Sara fan but she was definitely as good as -if not better than -Oliver.
    Also, you know what would be nice? A female mask who DOESN’T have a romantic relationship with Oliver. Do the writers know that’s an option?

23. Here what I have learned from these interviews with Guggenheim and Mericle

Guggenheim will lie and say anything to try protect future storylines and his own behind

Mericle has zero clue and will just say anything that seem right at that given time even though it makes zero sense.

You had two Black canary and well received black siren which for some reason you seem to hate. Now because of the backlash you bring in another cheap version.

have fun with the ratings

24. That interview with EW made it clear Guggenheim didn’t want anything canary related on the show but Berlanti told him to get one and he puts it on Katie Cassidy to come back instead of making a schedule as a responsible showrunner would do.

25. aaron says:

If its hard to do a show about GA without BC, then why kill off BC in the first place? These are the questions we want to know!

• pnr says:

IMO usually when shows replace characters like they replaced KC on Supernatural and now on Arrow, it’s because of BTS reasons. It seems as though the writers did NOT want to keep this actress around for whatever reason.

26. kath says:

I wish her all the best because the actress seems like a nice person but I really don’t care about yet another character on a season that has been full of new characters (and I only like Rory and Chase).
    I don’t see the need for yet a fourth Canary. Spend more time on Diggle, Felicity, Thea and Lance.

27. William Roderick says:

I don’t like this, I love and miss Laurel, but this is their show and I understand that, I don’t support Tina Bolland in the role of Black Canary, it should be Laurel E1(dead) or E2(Black Siren), it if Tina is I will be disappointed.

28. Gregory Brown says:

This is disrespectful. The Black Canary is Laurel Dinah Lance. Not anyone else.

29. Gale Peacock says:

Sigh. Here we go again with another birdie. Is three going to be a charm? Cringed at the introduction last night. Bad line delivery. Forced “badassery.” Why can’t Warner Bros. get it through its head: Arrow the TV show needs no Canary. You missed your chance when you screwed up the original casting with Katie Cassidy. All these versions are just annoying. Arrow already has a female character in a suit. Her name is Thea Queen, played by a wonderful young actress. Write for her. Try selling your aging IP elsewhere. Isn’t Percy’s comic book enough to keep the bird in the public’s mind? Oh wait, Rebirth sales have plummeted.

30. Paige says:

I know that feelings are pretty mixed, depending on the fandom(s) to which people belong, but . . . I have to say -and I didn’t expect to feel this way- I’m looking forward to this. I think there’s a lot of potential here with the character (and with Juliana Harkavy), and the team needs a badass female fighter who can stand toe-to-toe and side-by-side with Oliver – the show hasn’t had that, imo, since they got rid of Sara (and I know opinions differ on that, too). I’m interested to see what they do with a new BC and the dynamics she’ll have with everyone. This could turn out to be a good thing, so I’m (cautiously) optimistic.

31. Renae Watson says:

this just killed arrow for me , need to work on the other new people not bring in any others no Canaries for season 5 , or im done with it , the Huntress would have made a good addition to the team , but they did not think of that

32. Maria says:

I’m sorry but the last scene was so cliche. I’m invested in the characters of Diggle and Felicity. Oliver is a given it’s his show. If they need a fourth Canary that just shows them it never worked.

They should have just kept Sara. Laurel ruined this character.

33. They are taking the “girl power” motif too far when they confuse coarseness with strength.

34. Agent 86 says:

Well … fourth time lucky I guess? After Sara Lance, Laurel Lance and Evelyn Sharp, perhaps a “Black Canary” will finally be well written, treated well by the producers and stick around long term?
    Still, I can’t help but wish that they’d just given Laurel Lance the character development and screen time that the character (and Katie Cassidy) deserved, instead of writing themselves into a corner and choosing Laurel as their sacrifice.

35. john lone says:

Arrow used to be my go-to show since it started. When they killed black canary last season I stopped watching, but watched last Wednesday’s episode when they brought black siren to the show. I have to say I am very disappointed with the direction they are taking Dinah Laurel Lance. She is one is the greatest heroes in DC and its upsetting to see how most of the comic lore is being portrayed in this show. But her new contact states she will be doing crossovers with flash and legends of tomorrow so hopefully it will be a hell of a lot better than arrow.

36. Ella says:

This is a joke. They should have done the Black Siren to Black Canary redemption arc. The writers continue to do disservice to Katie Cassidy, Laurel Lance and the Black Canary. I tuned in for 3 episodes this season that featured Laurel. I’m not falling for that again, I’m out.

37. Partisan says:

I’m going to reiterate what others have said. Sara was just as formidable as Oliver and saw herself (and was seen by the audience IMO) as his equal. That and the fact that she was in a relationship with Nyssa meant we didn’t need the whole romantic will they/won’t they stuff that dragged down KC’s time as Canary (among other things). I’ll hold off judging the character until we see where they go but Sara was a great BC.

38. Never been more excited for Arrow in a long time. A kick ass, bad ass female character! Reminds me of Sara Lance the Canary! NICE! NICE! This show needs a new blood, because it is getting tedious with all the dragging of the past and brooding over dead characters or dead relationships. Please let her stick around, and develop her, don’t listen to fans that pretend to like female characters, but are first to bash a new one, just because it’s not their favorite.

39. Sara Lance was the best Canary so far and equal to Oliver, her background story was also tragic and very complex and well written and Caity Lotz is a real life ninja.

But I like Tina so far, she looks also bad ass and cool, hope to see more of her and eventually to have a chance of Sara and Tina to meet, that will be cool.

I hope these wars between Olicity fans and the fake Black Canary fans aka Cassidy fans will stop and the fandom to embrace the idea that it’s cool to have a new strong female character and as many as possible

40. Oncer93 says:

This is Bull, if it was so hard to without Black Canary then why kill her of in the first place, instead of letting her reach her full potential, or go with the redemption arc for her double ganger who slayed it on the Flash, or just bring in a Laurel/Dinah from another Earth it’s fighting abilities to match Oliver who is the Black Canary with the sonic scream. Why was it so diffecult to write for Laurel who was good on the Flash.

41. Greg says:

Why ppl getting mad the tv shows dont usually follow the comic books it gets is own flow same like movies is like with flash iris west is white in the comics and kid flash is white to but in tv there not same with ras al ghul only had thalia i never heard of him having another daughter they change things cuz is the tv universe just go with the flow and enjoy it

42. Yu says:

Yeah, we all know where this is going, that new BC will become Oliver’s new love interest (seems like Oliver can’t be NOT screwing anyone for a whole season -__-) and she will get a loooot of screentime to make people accept her. Well too bad, I already have a hard time getting interested in all the new characters, adding one more isn’t going to help. Besides, I love all the OLD characters, especially OTA and Thea. Can’t they focus a bit more on the characters they already HAVE instead of adding new ones again ?

And though I don’t regret Sara that much, denying that she viewed herself as Oliver’s equal is so stupid it’s not even funny. Seriously her skills were easily on par with his, she did whatever she deemed necessary even if Oliver disagreed, and they were on the same damn island once –> don’t tell me the new character’s “own kind of island” can top that. And is Sara the only woman viewing herself as Oliver’s equal ? I’m not so sure about that…

Oh, by the way, Oliver is supposed to have made progress since he came back form his “purgatory”, let’s not forget it for the sake of drama and “love” connexion, PLEASE. The writers already destroyed thouroughly the romantic relationship between Laurel and Oliver, got rid of the one with Sara and completely butchered what Olicity could have been from the very start (a fake confession which was not so fake right after he parted ways with SL, a woman he was supposed to care about and was picturing a future with ? Yeah, talk about a wrong start).

Besides, though I didn’t like her until she lost her sister, I learned to love the Laurel struggling to become a proper BC and I miss her and what she could have become if she had been given more time to fully developp. If BC was so important for GA (I actually don’t care one bit if there’s a BC and if it’s a Lance or not, but I care about the characters I’ve followed and learned to know since season 1), then they should have kept her instead of killing her off. So no, I’m definitely not thrilled by this new addition to the show (which has nothing to do about the actress herself, I don’t know what she’s capable of), I feel trolled by the writers and from the looks of it, season 5 is probably going to be the last for me.

43. Why are we forgetting canon?
    Sara outright told him that he still had a light inside of him she felt she lacked.
    And that they should be involved with people who don’t wear masks.
    So in a way, she didn’t feel like she was his equal.

44. Donna says:

Please just cancel this show NOW and do not torture us fans any longer…

45. aolani08 says:

Train Felicity make bring Diggle, Roy, and Artemis back. Make Curtis overwatch whatever you decide bring back the show we love.

46. Fan says:

If the character is killed, let it be. The show did not really completely follow what is in the comic. Replacing the character with another is plainly trying to go back to following the comic line which kills the suspense the show is trying to achieve. Replacing the dead BC with another just killed it. Focus, build and strengthen the present characters and what the characters are created for. If they are trying to build a romance for Oliver Queen, then keep the relationship he had with Felicity. Bring a mature, strong Oliver/Felicity relationship. Not the sweet, highschool styled romance. Bring in an action romance not a love story show. There is no chemistry with Oliver and the new BC.

47. MB says:

Are you kidding me? Sara Lance went through the island with Ollie and has an emotional connection to him.

I swear this EP doesn’t know the canon of their own show.

This fake Canary can get lost.