What About Bob Female Reboot

What About Bob? Being Rebooted as NBC Comedy (With a Female Twist)

Sorry, Stranger Things, but there’s about to be a new Barb in town.

NBC has given a pilot order to What About Barb?, a comedy based on the 1991 movie What About Bob? — but as the show’s name suggests, the title character (originally portrayed by Bill Murray) will now be played by a woman. Barb’s psychotherapist (played in the film by Richard Dreyfuss) will also be a woman.

Aside from those admittedly major changes, the story will remain the same: Per NBC, “a psychotherapist tries to cut ties with her most overbearing patient but is unsuccessful and gains an annoying family member in the process.”

Joe Port and Joe Wiseman (The Office, The Odd Couple) will write and executive-produce the pilot for ABC Studios.

Are you hoping Barb makes it to series? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Tom says:

Another reboot. Joy.

• Lola says:

I actually laughed. I love this movie but not super thrilled about reboot x1000000000 or if this will actually work as a tv show.

• Tom says:

I rewatched the movie a few weeks ago and I agree it’s funny, but yeah, can’t someone come up with an original concept?

• Dysturbed says:

Unfortunately, regardless of how much people are being paid, originality is hard to come by after decades of new things. That isn’t to say that it doesn’t happen, as we all know of examples where it has.

2. auntiemm says:

Head banging on wall.

3. Luffy says:

Is there nothing sacred anymore? What about Bob is one of my all-time favorite films. As one comment said, “Head Banging on the wall”. I agree. This won’t last.

4. Haz says:

NBC has no original ideas. They are doing nothing but reboots and the only reboot I wanted to see (Cruel Intentions) they passed on. Besides This Is Us, which shows people will watch a new original show, NBC offers nothing else really. I enjoy Superstore but I try not to get too attached in case they cancel it.

5. Come on showrunners. Can’t you guys come up with anything original anymore?

6. c-mo says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I think my decision to be rid of my cable/DVR has been confirmed, I don’t believe you have reported on any original programming on network TV for an upcoming season. It’s no wonder “This Is Us” has been such a ginormous hit this year! Why, oh why don’t TV executives recognize people want new? As with Kcup pods, old movies/TV shows cannot be recycled!

7. Scott says:

Enough already no more reboots .

8. ST says:

It’s a pretty big stretch to call gender swapping of characters a “twist”. I’m all for this trend if it helps make unnecessary reboots a little more original, but to call it a “twist” is just relying on buzz words. end of rant.

9. Amy says:

Is it about Barb from Stranger Things? If not, pass. ;P

10. John says:

It could work, but its all in the casting. What about Wanda Sykes as Barb and Jane Lynch as her psychotherapist? Wanda Sykes needs to lead her own show. She elevates any project she’s in.

11. Julie says:

Not thrilled about another reboot, but if they cast this the right way, it could be great…glass half full.

12. HesterP says:

No. another network tv crap show.

13. Rachel says:

Oh Lord no….

14. Alice says:

Great… more than ANYTHING I want to watch a whinny needy woman….. stalking someone…

15. As another comment said, its not a twist to do a gender swap. A good twist would be an entirely new concept that doesn’t have any established continuity with anything else on TV. But NBC (Nothing But Cancellations) seems to lack any sense of creativity.

16. mooshki says:

I think it would be too painful to watch over 13-20 hours or whatever. And I can’t imagine it could possibly be anywhere near as good as the movie.

17. AngelWasHere says:

Ugh why the gender swap? Don’t need the show to begin with, but a gender swap seems like a cheap plow to be different from the movie. 🙄

18. Billy Bob Johnson says:

‘What About Bob?’ succeeded for one reason and one reason only: Bill Murray. I don’t see anyone out there with his talent, timing and snark that could pull this off.

19. Collette says:

Stop the recycling. Where are the original thinkers and writers that used to be so prolific? They are as scarce as good singer/songwriters. Has the population dumbed down to the point of a total lack of imagination? Don’t remake/recycle/reboot and think changing the gender, ethnicity, orientation is a hit in the making because you are using the tile or premise.

20. Natalie says:

One of the MOST annoying movies ever….

• Fletch007 says:

What are you talking about? Bill Murray was absolutely fabulous in “What about
      Bob?” I have seen the movie several times and it still makes me laugh!

21. Walt R says:

Bill Murray is in a class by himself. Very, very few people like him can make breaking and entering and tied to a boats mast funny. Whoever does this reboot will be continuously compared to him and the show will fail.
    Matter of fact can anyone rename a redid Murray project that had some success?

22. Fletch007 says:

A reboot would not be “What About Bob?” if the character is female. But it could be “What About Carol.” Ha!

23. jp says:

I can’t think of a female version of Bill Murray for this show? We need some originality not reboots.

24. Tess says:

I loved the move, I realize Bill Murray is a movie god but, excited about Leah Remini – she’s super funny, super straight up!